Who owns your digital assets after death?

Fun with supply and demand.
kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Who owns your digital assets after death?

Post by kennyc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am

Who Owns Your iTunes Library After Death?

The fate of your online life after death is a sensitive topic, and one both the law and technology companies have struggled with how to handle. Last week, Delaware Gov. Jack Markell took one step toward a possible solution, signing into law first-of-its-kind legislation that will grant Delawarean families the right to the digital assets of loved ones who are incapacitated or deceased, the way they would be given access to physical documents. But our Twitter, Facebook, or Gmail accounts are not our only online assets.

The Delaware law raises the complexities of how to deal with the accounts that house our e-book collections, music and video libraries, or even game purchases, and whether they can be transferred to friends and family after death. The bill broadly states that digital assets include not only emails and social media content, but also “data … audio, video, images, sounds … computer source codes, computer programs, software, software licenses.” However, the law says that these digital assets are controllable by the deceased’s trustees only to the extent allowed by the original service’s end user license agreement, or EULA.

If you’ve read your Kindle or iTunes EULA, you’d know just how little control over your e-books or music you have. Every time you hit “buy” at the Kindle store, you are not purchasing an e-book; you are licensing it for your personal use only. Even if you reread your e-copy of The Hobbit twice a year for 10 years, you are no closer to owning it, and without Amazon’s permission, no closer to being able to hand it down to your children. Professor Gerry Beyer at Texas Tech University says that the Delaware statute does not override this feature of Amazon’s, or most, EULAs, which are protected by other forms of federal law. “The bill is not designed to change an asset you could not transfer into one you can,” he told me.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... u_die.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love this comment too:
sylvie370
"Who Owns Your iTunes Library After Death?"
I'm leaving mine to that monkey that took a selfie.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Who owns your digital assets after death?

Post by Gord » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 pm

I hereby leave all my posts on this website to Pyrrho. Just don't tell him when I've died.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 pm

And don't tell him that I've been using your account as a sock since your death.
Kenny A. Chaffin

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Sexually??
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Terminally.
Kenny A. Chaffin

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Gord wrote:Sexually??
I've often wondered about the symbolism, too.
So by that do you mean the collections of little quivering yellow balls without which almost no posting here would really be complete?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."