Overtime Pay

Fun with supply and demand.
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Overtime Pay

Post by JO 753 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:20 am

Back wen I wuz an employee, I never got a good ansr for an important possible situation with overtime.

Suppoze you kick the bucket at work at 3 pm, your usual time to leave, but they don't cart you off to the morg till 5. I say you shoud get the overtime pay kuz you were there, even tho you werent working. How often are you there and not actually working anyway? Its your time they are paying for, not the actual work. If employerz dont like it, they shoud chanje they pay rate basis!

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Overtime Pay

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 am

JO 753 wrote: Suppoze you kick the bucket at work at 3 pm, your usual time to leave, but they don't cart you off to the morg till 5. I say you shoud get the overtime pay kuz you were there, even tho you werent working.
The employer should charge an accommodation charge for providing accommodation away from work hours. However this requires negotiation to form a contract. You cannot enter into a contract with a dead person. Therefore the logical thing to do is not let people die at work or negotiate contracts now. Therefore it would be a good business practice for you to negotiate with your employees tomorrow over this important issue.

(Alternativley just dump the bodies in your next door neighbour's garbage bin and say "No they didn't come into work this morning" if anyone asks)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 am

Paying overtime for dead people... flies in the face of dynamite factory workers who lose pay for the time spent flying thru the air when something goes kaboom... :P
Lard, save me from your followers.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 am

Well, I'm assuming a standard punch klok arranjment, Mat. Not alot uv negotiating going on at that level. Maybe a little rule that if sumwun diez, another employee haz to punch their card imediately.

scrm, you bring up a whole nuthr aspect - wut if its a job related buket kik? Or even the fault uv the employer?!

Suppoze it happenz on a wenzday, so even if you get the 2 owrz uv OT, your going to be short for missing thurzday and friday, so if the boss got cheap and went for the uninsulated power cordz for the work stationz and thats wut killed you, its hiz fault you wont hav enuf for a kick ass funeral.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:09 am

I know I used to make massive amounts of money getting paid overtime whenever I hid in the closet. They couldn't find me, so there was no way to get me to leave the building, therefore they had to keep paying me. And I had this great hiding space, too -- I had a false wall that I could hide behind. Anyone looking in the closet would see the false wall and think it was the back wall of the closet.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 am

The maintenence crew at GTE bilt a room up in the rafterz that looked like part uv the ductwork. Had a bed, TV, frij, hotplate, microwave.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm

At my job we're expected to be here 40 hours a week. Any less and we have to get manager approval for vacation time. Any more and we have to get manager approval for overtime.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: eugenics never stopped

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

JO 753 wrote:Back wen I wuz an employee, I never got a good ansr for an important possible situation with overtime.

Suppoze you kick the bucket at work at 3 pm, your usual time to leave, but they don't cart you off to the morg till 5. I say you shoud get the overtime pay kuz you were there, even tho you werent working. How often are you there and not actually working anyway? Its your time they are paying for, not the actual work. If employerz dont like it, they shoud chanje they pay rate basis!
often he wont be declared dead till he gets to the hospital. they dont want people dieing in the plant .
not really on topic . but isnt overtime premiums a violation of the ADA ?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 am

JO 753 wrote:Well, I'm assuming a standard punch klok arranjment, Mat. Not alot uv negotiating going on at that level. Maybe a little rule that if sumwun diez, another employee haz to punch their card imediately.
I like this idea. The emergency medical kit should be locked behind the "Time clock machine" and only if a worker clock's out can he get to the medical kit. Well he's not working is he?

(I really miss the industrial revolution. Ten year olds are so cheap to hire. Oh well.....back to work.....Now where's my whip. )

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 am

Anyone who dies at work should be fined for their lack of consideration and courtesy to others. A fresh dead body in good condition contains tens of thousands of dollars of organs for transplant. That person should be considerate enough to wait till he/she gets to the hospital, where they can harvest fresh organs, before croaking.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 am

I've been working with heavy equipment. I have a big ass forklift, and I have been helping a guy set up a bunch of equipment in his gravel pit. I lifted a conveyer, and had to climb up pretty high to release a snag. The guy said to not worry, if I fell he had the backhoe ready.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 am

Austin Harper wrote:At my job we're expected to be here 40 hours a week. Any less and we have to get manager approval for vacation time. Any more and we have to get manager approval for overtime.
Soundz like a few joints I worked at very breifly.

I'd ask fellow employeez "So. Wut are you in for?" and they alwayz hav an appropriate ansr. Best wun: "Murdering a pope, but swear to God I didnt do it!"

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:42 am

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 am

JO 753 wrote: scrm, you bring up a whole nuthr aspect - wut if its a job related buket kik? Or even the fault uv the employer?!
..., so if the boss got cheap and went for the uninsulated power cordz for the work stationz and thats wut killed you, its hiz fault you wont hav enuf for a kick ass funeral.
He prolly went cheap because of the high cost for the high power needed on those work stations. Think trickle down...

And if you got fried good, he also saved you the cost of a cremation.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Nucken Futs

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am

The way I see it, they're paying for my brain's information and processing cycles. And carrying {!#%@} around. Plugging {!#%@} in. Urgh.

They're not paying me to lie on the floor, getting in the way, and stinking the place up. In that case, it probably pays for them to haul my carcass off somewhere less obtrusive.

A bunch of people have already shuffled off their mortal coil at my place of employment. All in their sleep, so far. Did Not Show. The boss had the cops kick down the doors. He cares that much. We're a tight company. We all take a day off for their funerals and have a company-subsidised wake down the pub.

So if you're sick, you better call in.

And they provide chronic illness and disability pension, and life insurance. Tho' you have to be blinded or lose two limbs for the disability, and the life insurance wouldn't pay a tenth of what it would ten years ago in real money. Hmmm. I'll have to bring that up in the next meeting...

That being as it may, clocking someone else's card is a sackable offence.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 am

Major Malfunction wrote:A bunch of people have already shuffled off their mortal coil at my place of employment. All in their sleep, so far.

Hmmmm. It sounds like the prime OHS regulation in your office should be keep people awake. I don't think the boss would object to introducing such a measure.

However you may work in a mattress testing laboratory. In that case....keep up the good work!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:but isnt overtime premiums a violation of the ADA ?
No, the American Dental Association proudly sponsors overtime premiums.
fromthehills wrote:I have a big ass forklift....
Probably from all that bacon.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?