The All Things Zimbabwe Thread

Fun with supply and demand.
Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

The All Things Zimbabwe Thread

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Zimbabwe has just $217 left in its government public account after paying public workers' wages last week, says the country finance minister. "The government finances are in paralysis state at the present moment. We are failing to meet our targets," the minister said at a press conference. He told reporters that many of them had healthier bank balances than the country, but managed to refrain from asking them for a loan, AFP reports.
http://www.newser.com/story/161899/zimb ... -bank.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's actually pretty {!#%@} impressive. I'd be looking for kudos if my intake was exactly my output. I"m going to give this guy a :clap:
The minister says Zimbabwe is going to have to ask international donors for cash to fund a constitutional referendum and elections this year. The country's economy is still recovering from a near-collapse earlier this century. It abandoned its own currency and switched to the US dollar after hyper-inflation made the exchange rate nearly a trillion to one. One bright spot: The country's mining sector is booming, with diamond exports expected to top $1 billion this year.
I know nothing about Zimbabwe. That's why I made this thread as a public service to myself.

Eddie Murphy did a bit on it years ago. That's about half of what I know about it. And I forgot half of that.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: The All Things Zimbabwe Thread

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

When I was in South Africa a few years ago I met several people from Zimbabwe. The general consensus was that if you could afford to move out of Zimbabwe, you did.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Austin Harper wrote:When I was in South Africa a few years ago I met several people from Zimbabwe. The general consensus was that if you could afford to move out of Zimbabwe, you did.
They used to say that about Detroit but now ...

Anyway, I post this not because you all don't know where Zimbabwe is, but because I didn't.

http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

I have the perfect solution. Kickstarter: Zimbabwe!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

A short breakdown of events the last ten years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe#E ... .932008.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In a nutshell, it was probably a bad idea to kick out the competent farmers and replace them with amateur army veterans, and while Mugabe is a "freedom hero", he should have stepped down a long time ago.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:A short breakdown of events the last ten years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe#E ... .932008.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In a nutshell, it was probably a bad idea to kick out the competent farmers and replace them with amateur army veterans, and while Mugabe is a "freedom hero", he should have stepped down a long time ago.

Peace
Dan
Wow.
While it is widely acknowledged that the land upheaval brought about much destruction, joblessness, hunger, and political violence, some 58,000 independent black farmers have since experienced limited success in reviving the gutted cash crop sectors through efforts on a smaller scale. Advocates of the ruling party have used this pretext to indicate that some measure of racial equality was achieved despite chaotic circumstances, claiming that black citizens must "come first" in Zimbabwe.
Brain drain then.
Life expectancy at birth for males in Zimbabwe dramatically declined since 1990 from 60 to 42 years, among the lowest in the world. The amount of time a Zimbabwean citizen was expected to live in good health from birth was 39 years in 2010.[54] Concurrently, the infant mortality rate has climbed from 53 to 81 deaths per 1,000 live births in the same period.
He sucked the life right out of them. Road to hell, yada, I 'spose.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 am

Yeah. Goes to show that new injustices doesn't necessarily cancel out the old ones. Authoritarian interventions like that rarely works, but the leader can beat his chest and say he did something.

On a more general note, it seems very hard to get from a slave/apartheid society to something more equal. Often it seems when colonizers were kicked out, the kickers just become new masters.

Peace
Dan

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert