What would it take to make school interesting?

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Bunyip
Regular Poster

Re: What would it take to make school interesting?

Post by Bunyip » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:51 am

Exactly. These days nobody is putting the brats in their place.

Oh you mean the 'spare the rod and spoil the child" mentality? The mark of an incompetent teacher, at best.

Just for your information, the word 'discipline' means 'teach', not punish.

think you are spouting modern liberal dogma, my friend. Classroom size is a myth. Not much difference between 15 kids and 30.
really?

Gee I didn't know that. At the alleged school I attended,the average class size was 42. In year 9 it was 60.I kid you not.

Could you perhaps link to a few peer reviewed studies on the myth of class sizes? Or are you merely arguing from personal incredulity.

Argument from incredulity/Lack of imagination

Arguments from incredulity take the form:

P is too incredible (or: I cannot imagine how P could possibly be true); therefore P must be false.
It is obvious that P (or: I cannot imagine how P could possibly be false); therefore P must be true.

These arguments are similar to arguments from ignorance in that they too ignore and do not properly eliminate the possibility that something can be both incredible and still be true, or appear to be obvious and yet still be false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_f ... magination
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

ambitiousmindset

Post by ambitiousmindset » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:45 am

What would make school more interesting?

School can only get so far in introducing new techniques and strategies without disrupting or neglecting another aspect of the educational system and their already set rules. It's not about introducing new techniques or strategies it's about changing and reforming the way kids learn and removing any preconception of learning. We are living in the most stimulating era ever in history. We have excelled technologically past our expectations, however, as intellectuals we have only bumped up a bit. We are now able to communicate with anybody in the world at any time via phone calls, text messages, we have access to hundreds of channels with the click of a button, and we have the most powerful and revolutionary technological design; the internet, which gives us access to almost any piece of information in the world. However, it is both an advantage and disadvantage to grow up during this era. Kids are now growing up with computers, TV's, and videos games which are all very stimulating and many all at the same time. Kids nowadays have four tabs open on the computer at the same time talking with a friend on their phones, while the TV is on right next to them. Kids go to school and sit down for an hour and a half, in front of the same teacher speaking about one subject, in the same environment with nothing physically appealing, and then the next hour do the same thing with another teacher and you wonder why these kids aren't interested or paying attention? These kids have been exposed to so much stimulus growing up that they have been accustomed to that type of learning environment. The thing is school is a totally different type of learning environment which restricts many sources of stimulus which in their eyes causes them to focus on one thing at a time. No cell phones, no ipods, no TV's, no talking! These are all the things being restricted in school yet that is what these kids have been doing and using their whole life. The educational system hasn't changed from the 1800's till now. We still have classrooms with limited interaction, with standardized tests which teachers cheat for kids in order to protect them from social persecution from their friends as well as an indication of how well that teacher is teaching. The educational system needs to be reformed to adapt to the lifestlye and technology of today. Kids do not need to change, the educational system does.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:58 am

I always found school interesting. I think making school interesting starts with the parents. (Gawd's parents apparently had a different way of making school interesting for him.)

Certainly schools need to carry the ball when its their turn, but it would be much harder where the parental groundwork has not been laid.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 am

Actually, all it would take is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XLKcMoXRE
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I always found school interesting.>>

I always found it boring, too structured, too disciplined, too clandestine, rarely interesting.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

The Sea is Mine
BANNED

Post by The Sea is Mine » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 am

the most important aspect of a successful school are respect and attitude. This takes a community. Helicopter parents in the suburbs shield their brats from any teacher discipline, while inner city teachers are afraid of their students. Both reveal lack of respect for not only teachers, but for school itself. Teaching should never be like a business, it is a community.Therefore teachers, except in extreme circumstances should be the last to be blamed. In fact no other country attacks teachers like America does.

Instead of thinking about making school more "interesting" we could focus on making it more practical. For example subjects such as finance, learning how to balance a checkbook, pay taxes, run a home resource department should be focused on more. Also, a lot of our schools are too political to be effective (check state standards for teaching history for example) where in some places whole sections of history are not discussed because of politics.
Men's rights worldwide!

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 pm

The Sea is Mine wrote:the most important aspect of a successful school are respect and attitude. This takes a community. Helicopter parents in the suburbs shield their brats from any teacher discipline, while inner city teachers are afraid of their students. Both reveal lack of respect for not only teachers, but for school itself. Teaching should never be like a business, it is a community.Therefore teachers, except in extreme circumstances should be the last to be blamed. In fact no other country attacks teachers like America does.

Instead of thinking about making school more "interesting" we could focus on making it more practical. For example subjects such as finance, learning how to balance a checkbook, pay taxes, run a home resource department should be focused on more. Also, a lot of our schools are too political to be effective (check state standards for teaching history for example) where in some places whole sections of history are not discussed because of politics.

Academic learning is fine to pass tests, but it doesn't prepare kids for the cruel outside world, only actual experience does that, the tougher the better.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:Academic learning is fine to pass tests, but it doesn't prepare kids for the cruel outside world, only actual experience does that, the tougher the better.

When I went to high school (graduated in '69), we had four tracks. "Academic", "Industrial Arts", "Future Farmer", and "Home Economics". I didn't much care for dung, and I wasn't a female, so that left "Academic" and "Industrial Arts". "Academic" was out because I couldn't afford college and the guidance counselors lied to me about NROTC. (They said I needed 20-20 vision.) So I went to Industrial Arts. I learned a lot of stuff that was useful when I joined the Navy, but not a lot that would have gotten me a job if I hadn't gone to the Navy.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:Academic learning is fine to pass tests, but it doesn't prepare kids for the cruel outside world, only actual experience does that, the tougher the better.

When I went to high school (graduated in '69), we had four tracks. "Academic", "Industrial Arts", "Future Farmer", and "Home Economics". I didn't much care for dung, and I wasn't a female, so that left "Academic" and "Industrial Arts". "Academic" was out because I couldn't afford college and the guidance counselors lied to me about NROTC. (They said I needed 20-20 vision.) So I went to Industrial Arts. I learned a lot of stuff that was useful when I joined the Navy, but not a lot that would have gotten me a job if I hadn't gone to the Navy.

You should have chose Future Farmer, That's the only occupation hiring.

The Sea is Mine
BANNED

Post by The Sea is Mine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm

students should also wear school uniforms. and coroporal punishment be allowed.
Men's rights worldwide!

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:52 pm

The Sea is Mine wrote:students should also wear school uniforms. and coroporal punishment be allowed.

Granted, it's early still and I have had all my coffee yet, but I have to say Sea, I don't think you have posted anything in your 52 attempts here that I agree with. We have a perfect 100% disagreement record. Now, that is an achievement. :clap:
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

I don't do dung.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 pm

In the school experience with my kids I have known the principal due to a LOT of sit down meetings.

When my (now 13) year old was in grade school he was in trouble for kicking the {!#%@} out of a kid teasing a little girl. He got in trouble. I was in the principal’s office. The principal was saying “well, we just want the boy to know what he did was wrong.”

I said “woah there sasquatch” (funny since I’m a giant compared to the guy). “It was not wrong. Sure it violated your rules and he understands that. But he was RIGHT. And I’m taking him out for freaking ice cream.”

Man, I thought I’d see the principal have a conniption stroke right in front of me.

And now, I have 2 grand kids I’m raising. And the principal is still there….
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

I don't do dung.

Of course fertilizer is part of it, and it's a big gamble, but what other occupation does the government subsidize failure?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:49 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:Of course fertilizer is part of it, and it's a big gamble, but what other occupation does the government subsidize failure?

You make it sound like something I would want to do. Not.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 am

rickoshay85 wrote:...what other occupation does the government subsidize failure?

Auto manufacturing.
Banking.
Education.
Foreign policy.
Politics.
Religion.
War.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

The Sea is Mine
BANNED

Post by The Sea is Mine » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:44 am

brauneyz wrote:
The Sea is Mine wrote:students should also wear school uniforms. and coroporal punishment be allowed.

Granted, it's early still and I have had all my coffee yet, but I have to say Sea, I don't think you have posted anything in your 52 attempts here that I agree with. We have a perfect 100% disagreement record. Now, that is an achievement. :clap:

What is wrong with having school uniforms?
Men's rights worldwide!

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Post by bigtim » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:05 am

The Sea is Mine wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

I refuse to pay for school uniforms to a damned public school. It’s just an extra damned expense. You have to buy clothes for your kids anyway. Now to pay the school (other revenue stream) to buy a complete set of clothes only worn to school is a rip off and asinine. I ALREADY have to pay $250 {!#%@} dollars for my kid to play football. Those that argue it’s good are either stupid or biased because it’s their revenue stream.
~
BigTim

ryancarr007

Post by ryancarr007 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:55 am

Yes, since sexual harassment is a world wide issue.

The Sea is Mine
BANNED

Post by The Sea is Mine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:55 am

bigtim wrote:
The Sea is Mine wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

I refuse to pay for school uniforms to a damned public school. It’s just an extra damned expense. You have to buy clothes for your kids anyway. Now to pay the school (other revenue stream) to buy a complete set of clothes only worn to school is a rip off and asinine. I ALREADY have to pay $250 {!#%@} dollars for my kid to play football. Those that argue it’s good are either stupid or biased because it’s their revenue stream.

we have dress codes in our places of work. police officers, bankers, and other people wear uniforms. It shows they are there to perform a specific job, why should schools be different? ask yourself also, why do private schools and most other countries around the world do it too?
Men's rights worldwide!

bigtim
Perpetual Poster

Post by bigtim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 am

The Sea is Mine wrote:
bigtim wrote:I refuse to pay for school uniforms to a damned public school. It’s just an extra damned expense. You have to buy clothes for your kids anyway. Now to pay the school (other revenue stream) to buy a complete set of clothes only worn to school is a rip off and asinine. I ALREADY have to pay $250 {!#%@} dollars for my kid to play football. Those that argue it’s good are either stupid or biased because it’s their revenue stream.

we have dress codes in our places of work. police officers, bankers, and other people wear uniforms. It shows they are there to perform a specific job, why should schools be different? ask yourself also, why do private schools and most other countries around the world do it too?

A) Not every place of employment has a dress code. I, for one, wear cargo shorts, flip-flops, t-shirt and camera vest with big pockets to work.

B) Some people wear uniforms for their job. Wait, I said it… JOB. Yep, your profession, career. School is not a career for the child.

C) other countries do a lot of things – and not all of them have a better education system. If other countries jumped off a bridge would you do it too?

D) my problem is that they want me to PAY for it. If the school gave the children the uniforms they had to wear then I wouldn’t care. The fact that a public school would demand that I pay for school uniforms I find wrong.
~
BigTim

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:46 am

The Sea is Mine wrote:we have dress codes in our places of work. police officers, bankers, and other people wear uniforms. It shows they are there to perform a specific job, why should schools be different?

Because students are customers, not employees.

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:25 pm

We need more music. And more movies.