Should History Be Taught In Elementary Schools???

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education

Well...?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 31

mfumbesi
Poster

Re: Should History Be Taught In Elementary Schools???

Post by mfumbesi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 am

In our primary school at grade 1 we were taught local history. We were taught things like the name of the founders of the school, the school's age, town founders etc.
In that way it is not overwhelming and we had a point of reference.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:12 pm

mfumbesi,
Teaching kids about local history, and perhaps how it relates to the geoprphy and nature of an area doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Even some of the history of a continent might be okay, as it relates to geography and nature. 1492 and the introduction of the wheel into North America, tomatoes into Italy, potatoes into Ireland, maize into Africa, and so on.

History here is often presented as a bunch of military generals and dates to be memorized in regard to battles in various wars. This, I think, is Philosophical Skeptic's main objection, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Tomorrow there will be a re-enactment of the Civil War Battle of Olustee in Olustee, Florida, USA. I am NOT a pacifist, but there must be better ways to celebrate "just victories", a fiesta perhaps, without glamorizing death and destruction.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:32 am

Yes.
The history of child abuse.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes, drugging kids and making them sit in chairs hours on end, at least in some cases, might amount to child abuse.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

decreptitate777
Regular Poster
Custom Title: The Dumbest Genius

Re:

Post by decreptitate777 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 pm

bigtim wrote:History is critical -- it should be geared towards the age of the child. The public school system's try to do that... but in this effort what they end up teaching is legend and not history.

My wife and I teach our children history, we correct what they learn in school, and we tell them where their family came from, what their families have been involved in and what they've done. My children had a greater and more realistic grasp of what has gone before than nearly every kid their peer. Due to this as my children have grown they have also fostered a love for history; for the detective work that studying history often entails and as such as they’ve grown they tend to look at things as multi-layered and not black and white.

I also think math is critical; as is English (writing, reading – language arts), science, the arts and sports.

In complete agreement...let the schools teach it...but supervise it as a parent and correct when needed...this is easy being that my son is home-schooled anyhow...and not with the religious quack curriculum either...but state certified with competent people running the program. I explain it to him just like I would to any adult...he is not a dumb kid anyhow.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:45 pm

A-number wrote:History is like religion, depending on who is its writer or from what angle it's been framed; it could be complete sausage from beginning to end, therefore I don't believe it should be taught.

Creationists distort science, so science should not be taught.
Advertising denigrates art, so art should not be taught.
Doping scandals deminish athleticism, so athleticism should not be taught.
Acronyms as originating on usenet and becoming panedmic in texting deminish writing, so writing should not be taught.
I can't think off hand how math is sullied, but it must be somehow, so it should not be taught.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:52 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
A-number wrote:History is like religion, depending on who is its writer or from what angle it's been framed; it could be complete sausage from beginning to end, therefore I don't believe it should be taught.

Acronyms as originating on usenet and becoming panedmic in texting deminish writing, so writing should not be taught.
I can't think off hand how math is sullied, but it must be somehow, so it should not be taught.

Everyone knows statistics are used by lying politicians, so math should not...... :wink:
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:55 pm

brauneyz wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Everyone knows statistics are used by lying politicians, so math should not...... :wink:

Thank you. I knew someone here would bail me out.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:41 pm

A-number wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Who is talking about creationists or science here? stay on the carpet please. And of couse you are holier than thou because you never distort anything, based on this post to begin with, you are distorting.

He's suggesting that your reason for not wanting history taught -- that depending on the author or the angle it could be complete sausage -- could be applied to anything and everything.

Also, he shouldn't be on the carpet, his feet are muddy. Make him stay on the plastic sheet instead.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:40 pm

A-number wrote:
He's suggesting that your reason for not wanting history taught -- that depending on the author or the angle it could be complete sausage -- could be applied to anything and everything.

Specifically to history and religion, scientific disciplines for exemple leave very little room for one to mess with in the process of teaching them to kids.

I agree. History is mostly legend until you get into collegiate level deep dive history -- and then you have perspectives which completely change the meaning of an event. The basics, including science, the scientific method, critical thinking -- those can't be loaded and are key foundations to help children think for themselves.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:53 pm

A-number wrote:Specifically to history and religion, scientific disciplines for exemple leave very little room for one to mess with in the process of teaching them to kids.

Creationsists everywhere are trying very hard to do just that. Sometimes, they succeed.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:56 pm

bigtim wrote:I agree. History is mostly legend until you get into collegiate level deep dive history -- and then you have perspectives which completely change the meaning of an event. The basics, including science, the scientific method, critical thinking -- those can't be loaded and are key foundations to help children think for themselves.

A few months ago, you were lamenting the impossibility (or near impossibilty) of staffing your company from public school graduates. How would you reconcile these positions?

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:42 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
bigtim wrote:I agree. History is mostly legend until you get into collegiate level deep dive history -- and then you have perspectives which completely change the meaning of an event. The basics, including science, the scientific method, critical thinking -- those can't be loaded and are key foundations to help children think for themselves.

A few months ago, you were lamenting the impossibility (or near impossibilty) of staffing your company from public school graduates. How would you reconcile these positions?

I don't see them at odds. The concept of what one should teach children, and the capability of the kids that are graduating from our public secondary school education system are one and the same. Teaching kids the basics and teaching them how to think are the key foundations for a lifelong education. Having these same kids come out of high school with the ability to enter college into the math or sciences field is fed by this core foundation.

Teaching children a core foundation is important and necessary.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:41 am

resumedocket wrote:That last part were just some thoughts of mine, but the main body of this post was damn serious.

Resume Writing Services

Warning: Spammer Alert.

Speculater
Poster
Custom Title: Elite Skeptic

Post by Speculater » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm

So you're saying that because some people frame history with an angle, that no history is true (enough to be taught)?
"Refuse to express a passion, and it dies." William James 1890

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 am

Speculater wrote:

So you're saying that because some people frame history with an angle, that no history is true (enough to be taught)?

A-Number is a religious person. I don't agree with some of her views. However I do like her expression "history is complete sausage" simply as an odd unique english expression. If Oscar Wilde had written this he would have been lauded as being witty.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:42 am

Plus "history is complete sausage" comes with its delightful vagueness inherent to the meat of the issue. What is sausage, after all, but "mystery bits in a sack?"
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:40 am

Gord wrote:Plus "history is complete sausage" comes with its delightful vagueness inherent to the meat of the issue. What is sausage, after all, but "mystery bits in a sack?"

Chaucer's Ode to the History Sausage
'Wepyng and waylyng, care and oother sorwe, for here has burst
Ney not one, but divers, the history Bratwurst,
Oh Oxford, Oh sirs of letter and medallion, Quod the Marchant,
"It be more sweet history than a sausage of Hot Italian,
But for me and God it woot, that it is litel wonder; a sadness balmy
What cry thee? History sausage tis no more than hot salami.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:Plus "history is complete sausage" comes with its delightful vagueness inherent to the meat of the issue. What is sausage, after all, but "mystery bits in a sack?"

Chaucer's Ode to the History Sausage
'Wepyng and waylyng, care and oother sorwe, for here has burst
Ney not one, but divers, the history Bratwurst,
Oh Oxford, Oh sirs of letter and medallion, Quod the Marchant,
"It be more sweet history than a sausage of Hot Italian,
But for me and God it woot, that it is litel wonder; a sadness balmy
What cry thee? History sausage tis no more than hot salami.

Damn, Matthew, that's quite good!

Speculater
Poster
Custom Title: Elite Skeptic

Post by Speculater » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Philosophical Skeptic wrote:I contend that history should NOT be taught in Elementary school, because at that age, children simply can not comprehend history & what it really means.

Rewritten as: "I contend that religion should NOT be taught to Elementary aged children, because at that age, children simply can not comprehend religion & what it really means."

Then I completely agree... but history? We can teach the basic facts X happened on Y date, and get the politics, religion, and economics in High School and College.
"Refuse to express a passion, and it dies." William James 1890