'Psychic Vs Skeptical Predictions'

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Kiless
Regular Poster

'Psychic Vs Skeptical Predictions'

Post by Kiless » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 pm

http://www.csicop.org/sb/2006-06/predictions.html - a very good article by teenager Max Fagin.

What do you do with a high-school student who thinks she has paranormal abilities?

A) Ignore her.
B) Argue with her.
C) Try to explain rationally why she is incorrect.
D) Put her in a room with a rolling video camera, and ask her to show you.

The answer is all of the above, in sequential order.

I'm a high-school senior in Colorado Springs, Colorado. During my ten years here, I have earned a reputation as being argumentative and skeptical, often to the point of irritating people. One of my peers has pointed out that if someone taped a sign to a brick wall that read, "Telekinesis is real," I would argue with the wall until one of us collapsed.

I became devoted to debunking the paranormal five years ago. The Metaphysics Fair was in town, and my mother decided it might be an "entertaining" experience. For five dollars, I got to spend two hours exploring vendors who sold everything from meditation music to ionized water. I even coughed up a few more bucks to have my personality read with tarot cards.

Even at the age of twelve, my humbug detectors were up and running, so I gave very explicit instructions to the medium. I didn't want to know my future-I wanted to know my past, since that was the only way I could confirm her accuracy....
Copyright © 2004 - 2006 by Kiless, all rights reserved. Permission to quote open posts is granted for users on this forum only. All other use is prohibited except by express written permission of the author. Permission to quote PMs is absolutely denied.