Homeschooling for Religious Reasons?

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:51 am

snooziums wrote: That is the nice thing about the Pizzaism Religion, it does not conflict with modern society. So students of this religion can live typical lives, and spend their "worship" time while they eat pizza.

Sounds like a most excellent belief system! :D

Major Malfunction wrote:Pizza is nothing without Anchovy. Anchovity rules!

And to prove it, we have our first spin-off. :lol:

St. Jimmy
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: ghostbuster

Post by St. Jimmy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 pm

mater deum wrote:Can a child learn ethical behavior at school without a religious slant to the lesson? Yes or no?

Yes. example: most French children.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Thorn
Regular Poster

Post by Thorn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:37 pm

I used to work in a school, and you tell a child he is forgiven no matter what he does if he accepts Jesus, you'd be surprised at the lack or moral limits the child has.

I'm all for teaching kids about religion. Historically, secularly, and most important(and least possible), on even base with all worldly faiths.
"In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."
-S.J. Gould

sciwoman
Regular Poster

Post by sciwoman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:00 pm

mater deum wrote:I agree. That would be a good idea. Teach all the myths/legends of the world and I bet you'd see alot of Xtian families shocked. They don't want their children exposed to the fact that much of what Christianity believes is what other (pre-christian) religions taught. It kind of ruins their "Jesus is the only way" rubbish.

Its not just pre-christians myth they don't want their kids to know about, they also don't want them exposed to any other current religious ideas outside of christianty. Hearing others religious ideas might also make them question christianty.

Not 100% on topic, but here is what happened in a Virginia school when a christian group won the right to send home annoucements about their activities. Didn't turn out quite as they had planned.

http://blog.au.org/2006/12/falwells_flub_j.html
Our species may well be in a transitional evolutionary phase wherein we either use our minds to survive or become extinct in consequence of idiotic religious behavior.-Baubles of Blasphemy-Edwin F. Kagin

Mordread
Regular Poster

Post by Mordread » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:18 pm

sciwoman wrote:
mater deum wrote:I agree. That would be a good idea. Teach all the myths/legends of the world and I bet you'd see alot of Xtian families shocked. They don't want their children exposed to the fact that much of what Christianity believes is what other (pre-christian) religions taught. It kind of ruins their "Jesus is the only way" rubbish.

Its not just pre-christians myth they don't want their kids to know about, they also don't want them exposed to any other current religious ideas outside of christianty. Hearing others religious ideas might also make them question christianty.

Not 100% on topic, but here is what happened in a Virginia school when a christian group won the right to send home annoucements about their activities. Didn't turn out quite as they had planned.

http://blog.au.org/2006/12/falwells_flub_j.html

I heard about this on a local talk radio show back in December. The host was fuming about it and inciting his callers, but he conveniently left out the part about Falwell's involvement.

St. Jimmy
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: ghostbuster

Post by St. Jimmy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Thorn wrote:you tell a child he is forgiven no matter what he does if he accepts Jesus, you'd be surprised at the lack or moral limits the child has.

Not sure I would. Seems to make sense.

Ecept if you deny the existence and power of the holy spirit à la Blasphemy Challenge, which was spectacularly badly misread by the folks of challenge blasphemy.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.