Improving Your Child's Thinking Skills

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Pyrrho
Administrator

Improving Your Child's Thinking Skills

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:31 pm

http://school.familyeducation.com/gifte ... 38660.html

One of the simplest and easiest ways to develop kids' thinking skills is by wording questions in the right way. When teachers and parents learn to ask questions that stimulate kids' thought processes, learning can be fun for children of all ages.

Whether we are conscious of it or not, different types of questions require us to use different kinds or levels of thinking. According to Bloom's Taxonomy, a widely recognized classification system, human thinking skills can be broken down into six categories.

Knowledge, comprehension, and application are more concrete thinking skills. Analysis, synthesis, and evaluation require more abstraction and are known as critical thinking skills.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Kiless
Regular Poster

Post by Kiless » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:09 am

I think it's a little easier if you list them out this way:

Remembering - Understanding - Applying - Analysing - Evaluating - Creating.

I'd like to suggest Bloom's categorisation of thinking skills in conjunction with Gardner's multiple intelligences: known as Bloomgarde.

Take Bloom's taxonomy and cross over activities in the following ways:

Verbal Linguistic - Symbols. Printouts, Debates, Poetry, Jokes, Speeches, Reading, Storytelling, Listening, Audio-tapes, Essays, Reports, et al

Visual /Spatial - Mosaics, Painting, Drawings, Sketches, Illustrations, Cartoons, Sculptures, Models, Constructions, Maps, Storyboards, Photos et al

Mathematical / Logical - Mazes, Puzzles, Outlines, Graphs, Patterns, Logic, Analogies, Timelines, Equations, Formulas, Theorems, et al

Bodily / Kinesthetic - Role Play, Drama, Mime, Dance, Lab Work, Sports, Games, et al

Musical - Performance, Songs, Musicals, Instruments, Rhythms, Melodies, et al,

Interpersonal - Group projects, Group tasks, Observation charts, Social interactions, Dialogues, Conversations, Debates, Arguments, Consensus, et al

Intrapersonal - Journals, Meditations, Self-assessments, Intuiting, Logs, Records, Reflections, Quotations, et al

Naturalist - Field trips, Field studies, Bird watching, Observing nests, Planting, Photographing, Nature walks, Forecasting weather, Star gazing, et al

Although you can debate the relevance of 'CREATE' being the highest in Bloom's taxonomy - the notion is that you're using many skills to really compose, plan and produce something and you're working at an intense level... like designing your own origami, building a car, perhaps.
Last edited by Kiless on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:44 am

:bump:
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Kiless
Regular Poster

Post by Kiless » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:47 am

I'll see if I can find a free word-hosting site to outline an assignment I've done for a Year 9 class that illustrates how you can use Bloomgarde to assess an understanding multiple ways. Perhaps I should make that a feature link for other people...
Copyright © 2004 - 2006 by Kiless, all rights reserved. Permission to quote open posts is granted for users on this forum only. All other use is prohibited except by express written permission of the author. Permission to quote PMs is absolutely denied.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:10 am

Kiless
Regular Poster

Post by Kiless » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:55 am

Jim Dominic wrote:There are some lesson plans here:

http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/stc/Waysoft ... inking.htm

Cool! 8-) I'll see if the site 'Writely' will host an entire term of Philosophy and get some feedback on it.

brainfart
Account Locked

Post by brainfart » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:46 am

Thanks , Jim.
bltthhhhh