Religion/Philosophy in schools

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Kiless
Regular Poster

Religion/Philosophy in schools

Post by Kiless » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:45 am

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/st ... 715920.htm

Professor Phillip Cam from the School of Philosophy at the University of NSW is in favour of giving school children a secular option to learning morals and ethics.

He has trained teachers on how to run philosophy classes in primary schools in Queensland and NSW for 17 years. To keep up with the demand from teachers he's created the first on-line philosophy program and has written a series of training manuals and books.

Philip was awarded the Queensland showcase award for excellence for his work with Buranda State Primary School.
Copyright © 2004 - 2006 by Kiless, all rights reserved. Permission to quote open posts is granted for users on this forum only. All other use is prohibited except by express written permission of the author. Permission to quote PMs is absolutely denied.

Beleth
Frequent Poster

Post by Beleth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 am

I think I'm in favor of this.
"Beleth thinks with beauty."
-- brainfart

Kiless
Regular Poster

Post by Kiless » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:26 am

Beleth wrote:I think I'm in favor of this.

Well, my other post in this forum about Philosophy in schools should elaborate further.

Phillip Cam is a nice fellow too. :) I tried to get his book to Girl6, to help with her project in NY with an after-school program, last TAM but my 'courier' had other agendas on their mind. :roll: I'll bring it again this TAM and see if someone more reliable can forward it on.
Copyright © 2004 - 2006 by Kiless, all rights reserved. Permission to quote open posts is granted for users on this forum only. All other use is prohibited except by express written permission of the author. Permission to quote PMs is absolutely denied.

Thorn
Regular Poster

Post by Thorn » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Secular options to morals and philosophy? Spectacular, in so many ways.
"In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."
-S.J. Gould

USAskeptic
Poster

Post by USAskeptic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Thorn wrote:Secular options to morals and philosophy? Spectacular, in so many ways.

Some of us have exerted great effort to get 'religion' out of ethics and morals, and our work is finally seeing light. Ethics and morals existed long before any religion was invented, and there is no reason to hold onto the archaic belief that religion and philosophy are the masters of or somehow connected to ethics and morals.

Hopefully the tide has been turned, but it will still take generations for the new thought to become well accepted publicly.

Kiless
Regular Poster

Post by Kiless » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:34 am

http://www.ltag.education.tas.gov.au/pr ... efault.htm - the Tasmanian site for philosophy in schools (Community of Inquiry) has definitions and an online demonstration of a community of inquiry with children.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Post by rrichar911 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:24 am

Professor Phillip Cam from the School of Philosophy at the University of NSW is in favour of giving school children a secular option to learning morals and ethics.

Mighty kind of him to give children a choice in a free country, where everyone should already have a choice.

However, most children don't have brains enough to make a choice, that is their parents job, rather than the governments job.

If he believes in choice, why does he want to unite church and state, by even sugesting that a choice is something that the government has the right to give?
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

Kiless
Regular Poster

Post by Kiless » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:04 am

rrichar911 wrote:

Mighty kind of him to give children a choice in a free country, where everyone should already have a choice.

However, most children don't have brains enough to make a choice, that is their parents job, rather than the governments job.

If he believes in choice, why does he want to unite church and state, by even sugesting that a choice is something that the government has the right to give?

Sorry, I don't see where that is? At the moment, if there's 'Morals and Ethics' being taught, it's usually under the heading of Religious Studies. If you're fortunate, it may be glanced at in Science class or something that is raised as 'an issue' in English... but rarely is it something that gets much devoted focus as a topic on its own.

So, I don't quite get where you're seeing him 'giving children in a free country a choice'.