Sloshing Through Wikipedia in Search of Knowledge

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Sloshing Through Wikipedia in Search of Knowledge

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:01 am

I was getting nostalgic about some of the drinks people made back in my parent's day, and was making different variations of Manhattans, which were originally 2 parts whisky, 1 part sweet vermouth with a dash of bitters and a Maraschino cherry or two. Someone had invented a “Perfect Manhattan” way back that was 2 parts whisky, ½ part dry vermouth, and 1/2 part sweet vermouth, but that tasted too strong and dry for me…so I tried one part whisky , one part dry vermouth , and one part sweet vermouth, which I think tastes pretty good, and Marge named a “Brooklyn.”
Then I recalled that my grandfather, who came over from Europe with my grandmother and was best friends with her husband and lived with them in the same house, always drank Four Roses, which we called “rye.” So, went and bought some Four Roses, but noticed it is labelled “bourbon.”

So…, then I looked up Four Roses at the Total Wine website to see if they had a Four Roses rye but they didn’t. However, they had a very reasonably-priced rye called Old Overholt , which was allegedly the favorite of Doc Holiday, so I went back and bought some Old Overholt.
https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/ameri ... rules=true

And so then…, I looked up Doc Holiday on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Holliday The link starts off by saying that John Henry “Doc” Holiday, born in Fayetteville, GA in 1851, was “an American gambler, gunfighter, a dentist, and a good friend of Wyatt Earp. He is best known for his role in the events leading up to and following the gunfight at the OK Corral.”

At age 21 Holliday earned a degree in dentistry from the Pennsylvania College of Dentistry.
While practicing dentistry in Atlanta he was diagnosed with TB, which had killed his mother when he was 15, his mother, not him. She was not 15 at the time.

Hopin' that the climate in the American Southwest would ease his symptoms, he moved to that region and while working as a gambler in Texas he saved Wyatt Earp’s life and they became friends.

So...Doc Holliday, himself, died of TB in Arizona at the age of 36 after living a short, but eventful life end of schtory.

So….thash when I invented the Mexican Manhattan, 1 part Jose Cuervo, 1 part Martini and Rossi dry vermouth, and 1 part Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth with a cherry and a few dashes of Angostura Bitters, and they are very, very, very good…very good indeed. Thish may be the very beshove of aaaawll the Manhattans.

Ahm na resissing arress offischer, ahm jus sayin'...
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire