Public Schools and Mental Illness

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Public Schools and Mental Illness

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Do public schools incubate mental instability?
http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/21/13- ... lity-kids/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Public Schools and Mental Illness

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Not exactly. It's society that incubates mental instability. Public schools succumb to societal structures the same way any other public space will.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

enoch arden

Post by enoch arden » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Any forced intellectual exercise causes stress and thereby mental instability. Like the situation when a pupil isn't able to comprehend a theorem of Euclidean geometry. This is an inevitable side effect. Some children crack under pressure. A collateral damage. This stress is inevitable if the society isn't going to intellectually degrade.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pm

the shooter has recently lost both of his parents-----and nypost----It’s a starkly different story from former neighbors of the Cruz family, who say the troubled teen was known for torturing animals and that cops visited the home due to his behavior frequently — 39 times in seven years, according to police records.

And someone “close to” Cruz knew he was about to snap just a month ago — reporting to the FBI that he had a “desire to kill people” and was a potential school shooter, the agency admitted Friday.
----
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:41 pm

You would be drawn to this, ghoul georgie. Surprising you haven't jumped on the false flag and crisis actors bandwagon yet.. :roll:
Lard, save me from your followers.

enoch arden

Post by enoch arden » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:47 pm

There is something important that nobody discusses. The guy wants to avoid the death penalty. Conversely, he wouldn't have done it if he knew that he will be executed with 100% probability and quickly. This indicates a simple and effective way to drastically reduce the homicide rate in the US. 99.9% of those who commit murder are not suicidal. If the probability of being executed for murder is high enough, nobody would touch a gun. There is no need to disarm people. Let them be scared of touching weapon.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:56 pm

The death penalty exists and hasn't proven to be a very good deterrent. Besides being barbaric and making those who chose and/or implement it murderers.

It would also not have an impact on the waaayyyyy too many accidental shootings.

enoch arden

Post by enoch arden » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Let's see. About 14000 killings annually in the US, and less than 40 executions. Moreover, these executions are usually delayed for years. Which implies that for the one committing murder the probability of being executed is arguably smaller than the probability of dying of natural causes of other reasons. In other words, the death penalty in the US is non-existent.

As I said, it only starts working if the probability of execution increases 50%. That would mean that killing someone would be 50% suicide. A Russian Roulette. But 99% of the murderers aren't suicidal. They wouldn't risk their lives.

Concerning making executioners murderers: the police kills over 1000 every year in an extrajudicial manner. Why would they refuse to do it legally?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 pm

That kind of thinking is part of the problem.

enoch arden

Post by enoch arden » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Do you mean arithmetics is the problem?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 pm

The 4 Rs: readin', 'ritin, 'rithmetic, runnin' for cover
trump is Putin's bitch

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:10 am

Tom Palven wrote:Do public schools incubate mental instability?
There are no statistics that private or public schools create better or worse environments that promote mental illness.

You support extreme conservatism ( Libertarian Party) that would eradicate public schools and public mental health support and you are simply posting your political propaganda.

You are also against any form of gun control and thus you are the problem.

Try posting your bull-{!#%@} and your Russian talk points on a Trump fan forum, where they belong.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Gord wrote:Not exactly. It's society that incubates mental instability. Public schools succumb to societal structures the same way any other public space will.
I agree with you, Gord. There are numerous aspects of society that are so insane, it's difficult to remain sane in the face of them, especially if you haven't been taught to think critically.

Most of the insane aspects seem to revolve around measuring the worth of a person by artificial means: money, material possessions, appearance, and so on. And many people think that those artificial means are their goals in life. Their efforts are concentrated on style while they ignore substance.

• Is George W. Bush a better person than I because he attended Yale and Harvard while I went to state colleges? Nope.
• Is Kim Kardashian a better person than I because she spends an hour a day slathering on makeup while I don't bother unless I'm going out, and then it takes me less than ten minutes? Nope.
• Is Joel Osteen a better person than I because his house is ten times bigger than mine? Nope.
• Is Paris Hilton a better person than I because she wears designer clothing and my wardrobe mostly comes from thrift stores? Nope.

But people look up to these folks for exactly those reasons. It's a skewed world view that society promotes. People think it's acceptable to work 60 hours a week to pay their $3500 a month mortgage, while sacrificing time spent with their children. They think a 2.5 GPA from an ivy league school is better than a 4.0 GPA from a state college. They measure their worth by their material possessions and the appearance they present to society. How could this NOT incubate mental instability? These artificial goals are out of reach for most people.

It's depressing that most people spend more time making the masks they keep in a jar by the door than they do on actually improving themselves. Hence...

At home, drawing pictures
Of mountain tops with him on top
Lemon yellow sun, arms raised in a V
The dead lay in pools of maroon below

Daddy didn't give attention
To the fact that mommy didn't care
King Jeremy the wicked ruled his world
Jeremy spoke in class today

Clearly I remember picking on the boy
Seemed a harmless little {!#%@}
But we unleashed a lion
Gnashed his teeth and bit the recess lady's breast
How could I forget
And he hit me with a surprise left
My jaw left hurting, dropped wide open
Just like the day...like the day I heard

Daddy didn't give affection
And the boy was something mommy wouldn't wear
King Jeremy the wicked ruled his world

Try to forget this! (Try to forget this.)
Try to erase this! (Try to erase this.)
From the blackboard
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Ah, love that video and ed's intensity. Kinda sad that it's just as relevant a commentary today as in '92.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gord wrote:Not exactly. It's society that incubates mental instability. Public schools succumb to societal structures the same way any other public space will.
I agree with you, Gord.
Really? Which part? Maybe I can change it. (That's a line I got from Maxwell Smart, but I can't find a clip of it anywhere online.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
I agree with you, Gord.
Really? Which part? Maybe I can change it. (That's a line I got from Maxwell Smart, but I can't find a clip of it anywhere online.)
I can't find it either. Google sucks. They're so focused on showing you what they think you want to see that they fail to show you what you need to see. It doesn't seem to matter how carefully you write your search string either.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

There's also the problem that his other gag was much more popular back then, and even now:

Smart: At the moment, seven Coast Guard cutters are converging on us. Would you believe it?
Mr Big: I find that hard to believe.
Smart: Hmmm.... Would you believe six?
Mr Big: I don't think so.
Smart: How about two cops in a rowboat?

I think it's the basic same lead-in that was used in the joke I was looking for, which went something like this:

Chief: Give me your report.
Smart: [gives fairly accurate report that puts himself in a glowing light]
Chief: That's unbelievable!
Smart: Really? Which part? Maybe I can change it.

However, it is also possible that I am simply remember it wrong. I've been quoting (or at least paraphrasing) the same bit for 35 years, so I may have overwritten the entire original version with one invented purely by my own faulty system of recollection.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:05 am

I can't remember Max ever giving chief a report and hearing that exchange. It does sound like a Mel Brooks gag , but the gags in Get Smart were mostly running gags and would have appeared over and over again.

I'm wondering if you saw the gag in another Mel Brooks production.

(For some reason, every girl I have ever dated looks like Barbara Feldon) :D
Get_Smart_1966.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:21 am

Yeah...the first Gag highlights that Smart is lying. Gords memory is actually more sophisticated....not Smart at all. Very smart, but not Smart.

I like Barbara Feldon.........looks alot like Suzanne Pleshette who looks a lot like Elizabeth Taylor neither of whom I liked near as well. so close........what's the difference?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?