Education company under fire for ‘racist’ nursing textbook (*not* SJW BS)

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Education company under fire for ‘racist’ nursing textbook (*not* SJW BS)

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Education company under fire for ‘racist’ nursing textbook
NY Post

Synopsis: Those people don't feel pain like we do.
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Education company under fire for ‘racist’ nursing textbook (*not* SJW BS)

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I thought the bigger news was that Math was a white supremacist issue?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Education company under fire for ‘racist’ nursing textbook
NY Post

I can see the good intentions of the author who wrote the "racist" text. It's the same sort of thing that you might find in books about making business deals abroad. For example, in business books, it is written that in Japan, Japanese people like to make small talk and have tea before getting to business. Same as China. So, the author of this nursing text tried to write the same sort of thing. However, I also can see that there are better ways to write this sort of thing in a less distasteful manner.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Education company under fire for ‘racist’ nursing textbook
NY Post

Yeah but what about this other headline?
Man enjoys life after losing 3-foot-long penis
How do you lose a 3-foot-long penis? What a butterfingers!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 am

The New York Post was a trashy tabloid even before Rupert Murdoch acquired it. :pr:
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:29 am

What? Pain isn`t directly proportional to skin color?

On a serious note - there ought to be a way to scientifically measure pain. A scan, a blood test… something.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 pm

TJ---how are you using "ought"? I assume you mean in reality? Some way to "scientifically measure pain." Grab your dictionary: look up subjective. So.....I have to assume you mean ought as in wishful thinking.

Most oughts (and Lance's shoulds) are like this. No reality at all, just wishful thinking. Science to eventually fulfill 10% of them.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:31 am

Yes - in reality, just as blood pressure is measured, temperature is measured, weight is measured - there ought to be a way to accurately measure pain on an agreed scale. Instead, I am asked to describe my pain on a scale of zero to ten, and of course it varries with time, mood, and internals. And beyond that - my description is ignored, medication not prescribed, etc. So - yes, there ought to be....

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:05 pm

TJrandom wrote:On a serious note - there ought to be a way to scientifically measure pain. A scan, a blood test… something.
Science with Mr Ellard
We will start by establishing a comparative base line of pains ranging from 1 to 10 and measure how loud you scream in agony.

(Range 1 -3) I will first throw feathers at you. I will then tap you on the head with pencil erasers. I will then whip you with cooked noodle strands.
Test Result : "arrrggghhhh"

(Range 4-6) I will poke your feet with forks from the kitchen, I will then dry crush biscuits into your bed and make you sleep in it all night. I will then turn your shower onto the freezing cold setting when you least expect it.

(Range 7-9) I will buy you tickets in the front row of a Britney Spears Concert. I will then rent out your spare room to Gorgeous. I will then start giving your partner free violin lessons conditional that she only practices when you are nearby.

(Range 10) I will force you to watch and transcribe every conspiracy theory on You Tube

:D

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:08 am

Couldn`t we just go with brain waves - and skip the subjective stuff, like Gorgeous?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:58 pm

I don't like taking pain killers so every time I've been asked what my pain level is I've just say 3. Except when I had a kidney stone, which was excruciating and I gave them an honest 9.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 pm

TJrandom wrote:On a serious note - there ought to be a way to scientifically measure pain. A scan, a blood test… something.
There is...the functional MRI. The test is too expensive to be a standard, but it's frequently used in research.

At the same time, pain is subjective, since it's gauged by the sufferer's perception. Even the fMRI is analyzed based on the patient's reaction to painful sensory stimuli. I thought fibromyalgia was horrendously painful—and it is!—until the rheumatoid arthritis showed up. And the pain of RA pales in comparison to the headache I'm currently experiencing. (I can't tell if it's the result of dental pain or TMJ, but today is the second day of agony.)

Still, a friend of my mom's died of cancer that attacked his myelin, which I feel sure was far more painful than anything I've experienced. (It actually demyelinated his nerves the way MS does.)

It's funny...when someone complains of pain in my presence, they usually fall all over themselves to apologize. "I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you go through!" Not true. Pain is pain. While chronic pain has effects that acute pain doesn't, you're still in pain, and I can sympathize with that. Especially when the pain continues subsequent to diagnosis and beginning of treatment. Turn the alarm off!!! (In my case, the fire alarm is still blaring even though the building burned to the ground years ago...lol.)
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 pm

TJrandom wrote:Instead, I am asked to describe my pain on a scale of zero to ten, and of course it varries with time, mood, and internals. And beyond that - my description is ignored, medication not prescribed, etc.
Nowadays, I reply, "I don't know," which usually results in a "WTF?" look from the doctor...until I explain. It's been 18 years since my chronic pain began; I no longer have a frame of reference, because I don't remember what zero is like. I can give you a number on my personal scale, based on how well I'm dealing with today's pain, but it won't mean anything on your scale. My scale has no zero. Nor does it have one, two, or three. If I say "four," it's a good day. "Nine" means I'm staying in bed and sleeping as much as humanly possible. Most days are "six" or "seven," so I cherish the days when I can say "four."

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I don't like taking pain killers so every time I've been asked what my pain level is I've just say 3. Except when I had a kidney stone, which was excruciating and I gave them an honest 9.
I'm with you, Austin. Since I'm allergic to codeine and its analogues, I'm usually prescribed dilaudid. I don't find the "high" at all enjoyable; morphine makes me feel like my head is stuffed with chloroform-soaked cotton.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Instead, I am asked to describe my pain on a scale of zero to ten, and of course it varries with time, mood, and internals. And beyond that - my description is ignored, medication not prescribed, etc.
Nowadays, I reply, "I don't know," which usually results in a "WTF?" look from the doctor...until I explain. It's been 18 years since my chronic pain began; I no longer have a frame of reference, because I don't remember what zero is like. I can give you a number on my personal scale, based on how well I'm dealing with today's pain, but it won't mean anything on your scale. My scale has no zero. Nor does it have one, two, or three. If I say "four," it's a good day. "Nine" means I'm staying in bed and sleeping as much as humanly possible. Most days are "six" or "seven," so I cherish the days when I can say "four."
thats a great story. Part of the meaningless ritual of seeing the doctor. Best to play along so you don't confuse/antagonize/make fearful him.

Irrelevant...............but............. one of my favorite pick up lines, that I never got the chance to use: "Does this smell like chloroform to you?"

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:I don't like taking pain killers so every time I've been asked what my pain level is I've just say 3. Except when I had a kidney stone, which was excruciating and I gave them an honest 9.
I'm with you, Austin. Since I'm allergic to codeine and its analogues, I'm usually prescribed dilaudid. I don't find the "high" at all enjoyable; morphine makes me feel like my head is stuffed with chloroform-soaked cotton.
I like painkillers, but I'm terrible with qualifiers like "long" or "many", so whenever I'm asked to give my pain level on a scale from 1 to 10, I wonder how much pain there could possibly be that would equate to a 10. Next, I assume I'm not in that much pain, even if I can't imagine it. Finally, I assume there is so much pain left that I've never experienced, that I would be remiss in assuming I've ever experienced anything greater than a 5. But then I think, that just means I'm rating pain from 1 to 5, which leave me with essentially the same problem I had with rating pain from 1 to 10! So then I try to remember the last digit of the last phone number I dialled, and tell them that number instead.

Unless it's a zero. Then I lie.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am

Tonight, with this storm coming in and some unknown dental pain referring everywhere, it's a 9 on my scale. Nothing is helping; I've tried ibuprofen, cannabis tincture, Orajel topical, and a dose of the dilaudid leftover from my surgery. Not all of them simultaneously, obviously. I'm calling my dentist tomorrow; I can't even think straight.

KevinLevites
Poster

Post by KevinLevites » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 am

I've work in healthcare for almost 30 years, and I found the text in the book to be disgusting.

It's important to be culturally aware, but patients should be treated as individuals.

Garbage like this creates preconcieved notions that are a barrier to patient care.

Every patient is the authority on their pain.

I ran into a similar circumstance as a paramedic:

We often ran on homeless people. Sometimes a homeless person would have chest pain, and a treatment of choice is morphine. I used to get no end of garbage from my colleagues because the homeless person "wanted a fix", and I was enabling them, while a "normal" person would get the morphine.

I was always pissed off about this double standard, because a paramedic has to be nonjudgemental, and--in my mind--a homeless person is more likely to have heart disease because of their lifestyle and poor access to preventative health care.

Also, I felt a broke homeless person may be more likely to sue because of financial desperation...so all the more important to follow the appropriate standards.

Everyone denyed morphine to homeless people because "they just wanted to get high", which completely disregards the existance of soccer mom and white collar drug addicts.

This was a constant battle that I had to fight all the time.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm

KevinLevites wrote:I've work in healthcare for almost 30 years, and I found the text in the book to be disgusting.

It's important to be culturally aware, but patients should be treated as individuals.

Garbage like this creates preconcieved notions that are a barrier to patient care.

Every patient is the authority on their pain.

I ran into a similar circumstance as a paramedic:

We often ran on homeless people. Sometimes a homeless person would have chest pain, and a treatment of choice is morphine. I used to get no end of garbage from my colleagues because the homeless person "wanted a fix", and I was enabling them, while a "normal" person would get the morphine.

I was always pissed off about this double standard, because a paramedic has to be nonjudgemental, and--in my mind--a homeless person is more likely to have heart disease because of their lifestyle and poor access to preventative health care.

Also, I felt a broke homeless person may be more likely to sue because of financial desperation...so all the more important to follow the appropriate standards.

Everyone denyed morphine to homeless people because "they just wanted to get high", which completely disregards the existance of soccer mom and white collar drug addicts.

This was a constant battle that I had to fight all the time.
I ran into the same king of judgementalism from paramedics when I worked at the Crisis Centre. The only times I intersected with paramedics was in suicide situations (ie, suicide attempts when there was sufficient time for intervention). The total lack of empathy for a person in such dire straits emotionally was astounding.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero