Ernie Chambers and school segregation in Nebraska

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Ernie Chambers and school segregation in Nebraska

Post by Flash » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Today's New York Times reports that Nebraska black senator Ernie Chambers organized and supported a newly passed school segregation bill which allows, perhaps even mandates, the creation of separate white, hispanic and black school boards in Omaha.
If a white senator did this there would be cries and accusations of racism to high heaven yet this guy is allowed to get away with this with (until now) barely a whimper. Oh, pardon me I forgot, the political correctness demands that only whites can be rasists.
Ernie claims, the separation of schools according to races is good for education :shock:
What the hell are the natives, asians and eskimos supposed to do :?:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

flyer1
Regular Poster

Post by flyer1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Are they going to trot out that old "separate but equal" BS again? And just what does a Hispanic school teach differently from a black school or a white school? One teaches Pancho Villa and one teaches Malcolm X?

It is racism, pure and simple.
"Have you seen my people, magician?" said the unicorn. "They are wild and sea-white, like me."
Schmendrick shook his head. "I have never seen anyone like you, not while I was awake."

Pedantica
Regular Poster

Post by Pedantica » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:58 pm

Trevor Phillips, the head of the Commission for Racial Equality in the UK, made a similar statement about the teaching of, specifically black boys, in the UK. Although it was phrased as a consideration rather than a suggested policy and it wasn't a proposal of separate schools but separate classes in specific situations. He suggested that if the only way to improve the performance of black boys was to teach them separately in some classes then it should be considered even if it was unpalatable.

Interestingly race appears to now be a less important factor than sex in childrens performance here in the UK; black girls get higher average test scores than white boys.

The disparity between boys and girls has also led to some suggestions for schools or at least classes to be split by sex. And indeed most of the schools at the top of the school league tables are single sex schools; although that may simply be because most independent fee paying schools, which have a number of other advantages tend to be single sex for historical reasons.

Splitting children by sex feels less devisive than splitting by race since it is not as though communities are divided along sexual lines. There aren't generally male and female households or male and female neighbourhoods and so there isn't the risk that a child going to a single sex school would not mix with children of both sexes outside school.

I still worry that in the long term splitting schools by sex may harm children socially even if it improves their test performance. Schools should be able more than simply academic performance, and learning to be a member of society and get on with people of all different backgrounds is an important lesson in life.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:52 pm

I know that most of the urban schools in the US up to the sixties were de facto separated by race. Most so called ghetto schools were black and the suburban ones were white. Then they started bussing children to various schools in order to integrate them racially. It's ironic that blacks like Ernie Chambers now want to return to the same broken model. Whatever happened to King's dream? He must be turning over in his grave by now.

I agree with you Pedantica that education is much more then learning spelling and math. In the least, it's also a socializing process and a growth of an individual as a well balanced social and sexual being.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

UseYourNoodle
Regular Poster

Post by UseYourNoodle » Wed May 03, 2006 1:08 pm

Flash wrote:I know that most of the urban schools in the US up to the sixties were de facto separated by race. Most so called ghetto schools were black and the suburban ones were white. Then they started bussing children to various schools in order to integrate them racially. It's ironic that blacks like Ernie Chambers now want to return to the same broken model. Whatever happened to King's dream? He must be turning over in his grave by now.

I agree with you Pedantica that education is much more then learning spelling and math. In the least, it's also a socializing process and a growth of an individual as a well balanced social and sexual being.

I don't think forced segregation or forced integration is any solution. Equal standards and funding for public schools would seem to be the most important matter. If people believe blacks and whites for example are no different except for appearance, the racial makeup of the classroom should be irrelevant to getting a good education.
This is the problem I have with pro diversity advocates. If blacks are in fact the same as whites in intelligence, proneness to violence, and other behavioral attributes, then there is no diversity in trying to achieve diversity. This is a circular argument. If they are alike in every way, there really is no diversity if they act just alike. So how can one advocate racial diversity without acknowledging racial differences?
It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money so long as you have got it. EDWIN WAY TEALE

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Sat May 06, 2006 12:00 am

UseYourNoodle I agree. Good points but how politically incorrect. :wink:

UseYourNoodle
Regular Poster

Post by UseYourNoodle » Sat May 06, 2006 11:24 am

Flash wrote:UseYourNoodle I agree. Good points but how politically incorrect. :wink:

As politically incorrect as saying religion is fraud. :D
It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money so long as you have got it. EDWIN WAY TEALE

DJ
Regular Poster

Post by DJ » Sat May 06, 2006 3:09 pm

UseYourNoodle wrote:
Flash wrote:UseYourNoodle I agree. Good points but how politically incorrect. :wink:

As politically incorrect as saying religion is fraud. :D

It is...Isn't it? :P
Η εξέλιξη δεν τελειώνει