High school class resources

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Rmarshall

High school class resources

Post by Rmarshall » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Please pardon me if I'm repeating a thread. I'm new to this list-serve.
I've been teaching a very open ended class to junior and senior high school students. The main focus is environmental awareness but I'd like to add a substantial unit on BS detection. I've taught nearly 30 years and I'm increasingly concerned at the lack of critical thinking. I need to help my students develop a "reasonability sieve"
Can anyone recommend a good place to start. I don't mind developing an entirely original curriculum if I have to, but I assume others have done the same thing already.
Rick Marshall
Massena High School
Massena, NY

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: High school class resources

Post by kennyc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm

You could do worse than starting with the Boloney Detection Kit on the front page of this site or youtube:

[ytube][/ytube]

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Post by Scott Mayers » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:37 pm

Rmarshall wrote:Please pardon me if I'm repeating a thread. I'm new to this list-serve.
I've been teaching a very open ended class to junior and senior high school students. The main focus is environmental awareness but I'd like to add a substantial unit on BS detection. I've taught nearly 30 years and I'm increasingly concerned at the lack of critical thinking. I need to help my students develop a "reasonability sieve"
Can anyone recommend a good place to start. I don't mind developing an entirely original curriculum if I have to, but I assume others have done the same thing already.
Rick Marshall
Massena High School
Massena, NY
I think that it might depend on what your particular class you are teaching to determine any ideal approach. You might not even be able to appropriately raise this if you are a math teacher, for instance. If you are teaching a social study, the best you might be able to do is to just be Socratic and try open ended questions if a kid raises something worth questioning. Unfortunately, kids are just beginning to neglect any authoritative content by teachers as they begin to recognize that their own views at this age actually do have significance and are rationally relevant. It is a reactionary stage in which many are still trying to adjust as both being emotional as well as intellectual.

You probably have to focus on your curriculum guidelines while trying to compete for attention by trying to be as likeable to yours students where possible. Questions you ask too mean nothing if they don't appear to be aroused as being significant to the kids particular interests. The best you can do is to accept that you may not appeal to everyone but by knowing them individually you may be able to creatively work from their own personal interests and goals and work from there to arouse a perceptual need for them to derive their own curiosity to begin asking questions themselves. Teaching is as much an art as it is a profession and requires patience. It is only most frustrating that teachers in schools are not able to measure their own worth when they don't necessarily see their effects on these students until they have already moved on.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Scott, this poster has been teaching for 30 years. I think he may have an idea what its about. :roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Post by Scott Mayers » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:14 am

kennyc wrote:Scott, this poster has been teaching for 30 years. I think he may have an idea what its about. :roll:
Sorry, I can't read minds. And what may seem apparent to be understood by what you might know about teachers with 30 years of experience is no assurance that this is understood. I've had both great teachers as well as bad ones regardless of experience.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:17 am

Scott Mayers wrote:
kennyc wrote:Scott, this poster has been teaching for 30 years. I think he may have an idea what its about. :roll:
Sorry, I can't read minds. And what may seem apparent to be understood by what you might know about teachers with 30 years of experience is no assurance that this is understood. I've had both great teachers as well as bad ones regardless of experience.
Ummm, hmmm. Well maybe you should find out before you start lecturing people. See ya. Ploink.
Kenny A. Chaffin

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Post by Scott Mayers » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:23 am

kennyc wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:
Ummm, hmmm. Well maybe you should find out before you start lecturing people. See ya. Ploink.
I also don't like Michael's "Baloney detective kit" as an effective guideline as I have mentioned elsewhere here. Your presumption of my 'lecturing' is about my approach in which I do take note with sincerity. But let's just wait to see if he approves or not himself.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 am

Rick I did some googling and found a few thing you might find of interest.

Maybe not specifically in the vein you are looking (environment) but:

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/h ... achers/807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.edutopia.org/stw-kipp-critic ... -downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/r ... -teachers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perhaps more what you are looking for:

Carl Sagan's BS detection kit which the video I linked to is based on:
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/ ... arl-sagan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and
http://trouble.room34.com/archives/tag/ ... t-detector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one I posted previously on a different sub-forum:
http://www.strongandfree.org/the-pocket ... revention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope these are useful, will post more if I run across them and or if you have further questions.
Kenny A. Chaffin

Rmarshall

Post by Rmarshall » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks folks, in the past I've taught the difference between main-stream science, edge science and pseudo-science. But it's when a few years and I'm always looking to update and improve. You've given me some nice resources and they'll be a big help.
I've found that many students will believe almost anything if it has a veneer of authority. I've also found that students in science classes (and I've taught earth science, biology, Env. Sci, chemistry and general science at several levels) have trouble relating concepts to different situations. I hoping that a unit in general BS detection will help them carry the scientific method and the habits of questioning and curiosity into their everyday life. For some of my students, that's one of the most important things they can carry out of high school.
Google searches are always the first step for lesson ideas but you just can't beat advise from someone who's already tread the path.
Thanks again for the help and greatly admire the mission of this list-serve.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:07 am

In this vein I would also highly recommend Carl Sagan's - The Demon Haunted World. It is very readable and presented in an interesting way. It might be something to suggest for the kids to read outside class or perhaps even use parts of it for the unit you want to develop.

Good Luck, I wish we had more teachers like you!
Kenny A. Chaffin

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:25 am

kennyc wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:

LOL
He said as he lectured the OP.
What one wonders, could cause such a cognitive disconnect?
Maybe he just doesn't read what he writes?
Or doesn't really understand what he is saying? As in.. well… what his mother said?
Yes, that must be it.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:28 am

Ooh, where's that lovely chart of logical fallacies someone posted a while ago?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Gord wrote:Ooh, where's that lovely chart of logical fallacies someone posted a while ago?
Do you mean the "Tenn Commandments of Logic?",

Which was obviously offered up to the sheep, and has nothing to do with the shepherd?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Gord wrote:Ooh, where's that lovely chart of logical fallacies someone posted a while ago?
Right here.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Hmmmm… the cadaver of irony may now be dumped in it clumsily dug grave.

But never mind, because the gods have ALWAYS survived and prevailed, against all the laws of logic.
And of human self interest, too, because of that ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT known to every god, or wannabe god:

"Do as I tell you, and not what your intelligence tells you is more for my benefit than yours."

NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:11 pm

I thought the 11th was: "Thou shalt not pee in thy bathwater."
Lard, save me from your followers.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:19 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I thought the 11th was: "Thou shalt not pee in thy bathwater."
LOL….oh, those adorable folksy homilies s that can no way be compared with Commandments!
But no, that's only where YOU come from: a practical admonition because water is in short supply and carried some distance from source to tub.
Remember? .. One tubful has to clean up a whole family.
And the occasional visiting kinfolk.

NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:26 pm

nmblum wrote:
LOL….oh, those adorable folksy homilies s that can no way be compared with Commandments!
But no, that's only where YOU come from: a practical admonition because water is in short supply and ……. remember?….. one tubful has to clean up a whole family.

NMB
Not just the water, the hot water (and why some might be tempted to reheat it by themselves).

Yeah, those simple folks, they even used it then to water the vegetables. No one had to teach them about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. : )

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:55 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
nmblum wrote:
But no, that's only where YOU come from: a practical admonition because water is in short supply and ……. remember?….. one tubful has to clean up a whole family.

NMB
Not just the water, the hot water (and why some might be tempted to reheat it by themselves).

Yeah, those simple folks, they even used it then to water the vegetables. No one had to teach them about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. : )[/quote

]
I'm with you on that, Eggs …. we live impractical, eco unfriendly lives.
But blaming it on not re-using bath water is probably not the best of arguments.
In the house I'm living in now, my son has installed a timer on the shower… this is drought stricken California… a minute to wet yourself from stem to stern, then off.
Soap and scrub or whatever you want to do to yourself for another minute.
Then comes the two minute rinse cycle.
Then offf.
Can't be turned on again for another five minutes so no sue trying to cheat.
Works like a charm…
And the water bill is appreciably lower, because the shower has made everyone neurotically aware of water usage….even guests catch on quickly.
And I don't discourage two-at-a time showering, either.
And now we are talking about splurging on a tankless water heater that will allow for instant hot water, instead of having to wait for hot water to emerge from the spigots.
New has its place Eggs.
Horses are terrific too, and so were Conestoga wagons, but but the automobile does make better time.
And here we are chatting when "once upon a time…" we would never have even been aware of each other's existence.
There is that…no?
(See where bath talk can lead?)

NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:13 pm

I would be lost, left high and dry, without the "new".

But tankless water heaters (good choice!) and other water and energy saving devices aren't all that new. It just took some time for them to catch on it seems.

Well, as long as there is plenty, most (shortsighted) people aren't giving up on their god-given right to waste it.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:37 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I would be lost, left high and dry, without the "new".

But tankless water heaters (good choice!) and other water and energy saving devices aren't all that new. It just took some time for them to catch on it seems.

Well, as long as there is plenty, most (shortsighted) people aren't giving up on their god-given right to waste it.
Eggs, you echo an old friend of mine, who when he was in control of his faculties was such a pleasure to hear from, and listen to. .
(And not to try to sound smart… actually non pareil.)
I agree with you …except that I can never get to the point where I can blame it on that "other guy," … named "people."
"People" is me; *I* is "people."
And while it's outside my personal knowledge, you too are probably "people."

NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 pm

nmblum wrote:"People" is me; *I* is "people."
Same here, warts and all. Some are just a different size or shape.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:26 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
nmblum wrote:"People" is me; *I* is "people."
Same here, warts and all. Some are just a different size or shape.

(I never had a truly wasteful wart, or one that told me I had god-given rights.)

And ….. "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto", is shared by "US" all.
OR should be.
It would be engraved on my escutcheon if I could remember it.
NMB
Skepticism:

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 am

Scott Mayers wrote:
Rmarshall wrote: I've been teaching a very open ended class to junior and senior high school students...
Unfortunately, kids are just beginning to neglect any authoritative content by teachers as they begin to recognize that their own views at this age actually do have significance and are rationally relevant
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Right here.
my fav is: logical fallacy > informal fallacy > vagueness > appeal to nature

my critical thinking didnt start until after i graduated from an american h.s. so goodluck op
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Right here.
No that one's too complicated. I think it was this one: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free as a downloadable pdf, or you can order a poster online.

Quite loverly.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:20 am

A little late but perhaps useful.

http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.skepdic.com/ticriticalthinking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;