Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5918
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:32 am

Ban Schools, Not Guns
by Kathy Shaidle

http://takimag.com/article/ban_schools_ ... z2H2iGD9jN
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6151
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Flash » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:40 pm

From the article:
The trouble is, most teachers imply that the pigs on two legs are right-wingers. Not coincidentally, former Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers (see “1968,” above) is now revered as a pedagogical guru even by the president.

I am sorry for the pigs and at least Bill Ayers is qualified to teach kids how to organize a revolution with guns.

Abolishing the public-education system has no downside. A few million obese, incompetent, corrupt, vicious teachers and parasitical bureaucrats will finally be fired.

Except, that you will find more "incompetent, corrupt, vicious teachers and parasitical bureaucrats" working for the corporations running the new private schools at increased cost. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Homeschooling is superior anyhow.
. One problem, too many really stupid parents. I was lucky not being home schooled by a couple of narrow minded, fanatical Catholics.

Real and imaginary social problems such as chickenhawk teachers, anti-gay “bullying,” pro-gay sex education, the drugging of “hyperactive” boys, busing, high-school football concussions, and girls dressing like prostitutes for the prom will vanish.


I thought that the high school girls dressing like prostitutes was the only good thing in my school, still do.
Can't remember the pro-gay sex education, but I remember sex educating myself and my girlfriend in a car somewhere. And the "hyperactive" boys did so much drugs that anything on the top of that would have almost no effect.

In a word, my high school was hell but perhaps the suggested alternatives would be even greater hell? :mrgreen:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am

Flash wrote:From the article:
The trouble is, most teachers imply that the pigs on two legs are right-wingers. Not coincidentally, former Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers (see “1968,” above) is now revered as a pedagogical guru even by the president.

I am sorry for the pigs and at least Bill Ayers is qualified to teach kids how to organize a revolution with guns.

Abolishing the public-education system has no downside. A few million obese, incompetent, corrupt, vicious teachers and parasitical bureaucrats will finally be fired.

Except, that you will find more "incompetent, corrupt, vicious teachers and parasitical bureaucrats" working for the corporations running the new private schools at increased cost. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Homeschooling is superior anyhow.
. One problem, too many really stupid parents. I was lucky not being home schooled by a couple of narrow minded, fanatical Catholics.

Real and imaginary social problems such as chickenhawk teachers, anti-gay “bullying,” pro-gay sex education, the drugging of “hyperactive” boys, busing, high-school football concussions, and girls dressing like prostitutes for the prom will vanish.


I thought that the high school girls dressing like prostitutes was the only good thing in my school, still do.
Can't remember the pro-gay sex education, but I remember sex educating myself and my girlfriend in a car somewhere. And the "hyperactive" boys did so much drugs that anything on the top of that would have almost no effect.

In a word, my high school was hell but perhaps the suggested alternatives would be even greater hell? :mrgreen:

Congratulations on having a car while in HIgh School.... no better arena for sex education, but not everyone is quite so lucky..
And I agree that home schooling is a horrible idea.....one can't imagine where the notion that parents are. a priori, by virtue of having forgotten to use effective protection capable of educating their children to exceed them, came from.
But wherever, it is one of the great myths that religious fundamentalists have perpetrated upon us...

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5918
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 pm

I agree with you, NMB, about home schooling and feel that it's an inefficient step backwards, but I think that there might be much to be said about the old one-room schoolhouse where on teacher taught all elementary grades in one room. This was acheived by having older kids teach younger kids, which improved both their mastery of a subject and their communication skills, and probably reduced boredom. Montessori seems to be an extension nof this. Now, some public schools have incorporated some of the Montessori technique but have bastardized it with state-required testing, stifling bureaucracy, union rules, etc.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6151
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Flash » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 am

NMB wrote:
Congratulations on having a car while in HIgh School.... no better arena for sex education, but not everyone is quite so lucky.
.
It was my older brother's Volkswagen Beetle...very uncomfortable, especially for doing science. :mrgreen:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

User avatar
Donnageddon
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Donnageddon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 am

I had access to a Pacer in High School. You could not even get to second base without bruising an elbow.

That was why I preferred wheat fields.
My name is not Donna.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:32 am

Flash wrote:From the article:
The trouble is, most teachers imply that the pigs on two legs are right-wingers. Not coincidentally, former Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers (see “1968,” above) is now revered as a pedagogical guru even by the president.

I am sorry for the pigs and at least Bill Ayers is qualified to teach kids how to organize a revolution with guns.

Abolishing the public-education system has no downside. A few million obese, incompetent, corrupt, vicious teachers and parasitical bureaucrats will finally be fired.

Except, that you will find more "incompetent, corrupt, vicious teachers and parasitical bureaucrats" working for the corporations running the new private schools at increased cost. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Homeschooling is superior anyhow.
. One problem, too many really stupid parents. I was lucky not being home schooled by a couple of narrow minded, fanatical Catholics.

Real and imaginary social problems such as chickenhawk teachers, anti-gay “bullying,” pro-gay sex education, the drugging of “hyperactive” boys, busing, high-school football concussions, and girls dressing like prostitutes for the prom will vanish.


I thought that the high school girls dressing like prostitutes was the only good thing in my school, still do.
Can't remember the pro-gay sex education, but I remember sex educating myself and my girlfriend in a car somewhere. And the "hyperactive" boys did so much drugs that anything on the top of that would have almost no effect.

In a word, my high school was hell but perhaps the suggested alternatives would be even greater hell? :mrgreen:


We are getting crazier by the minute.... it's as if we are determined to take "created equal" to the nth degree by applying the concept to thought.... no nutty conception is too bizarre to be denied serious contemplation..
Not all babble demands a response...
But there is a fact that can be superimposed on the offerings on freedom being freedom from education: there is no possible way to have a participatory democracy of any dimension without an omnipresent , operative and FREE, public school system.
We might be able to survive with the curtailment of many of our services, and the restrictions on of some of our dwindling resources, but the loss of two things will be insurmountable: the disappearance of potable water, and the debasement and ultimate decline of a literate population.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
Donnageddon
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Donnageddon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 am

NMB, with some minor tweaks, I think you just wrote the 2016 Republican platform.
My name is not Donna.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:12 am

Donnageddon wrote:NMB, with some minor tweaks, I think you just wrote the 2016 Republican platform.

Really?
I'm not privy to secret Republican rhetoric related to PAYING for unlimited access to improved, universal, public education; I've never heard that public education was a 20th Century Republican priority.
As to the rest, I wasn't suggesting eliminating or curtailing other public services or programs.
What I SAID was that we MIGHT survive without them....
But that no form of democracy can survive without a literate population... and that demands FREE and universal public education.
So that what *I* say can be clearly understood.

NMN
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5918
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Conformist Concentration Camps with Marching Bands

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:32 pm

nmblum wrote:
Donnageddon wrote:NMB, with some minor tweaks, I think you just wrote the 2016 Republican platform.

Really?
I'm not privy to secret Republican rhetoric related to PAYING for unlimited access to improved, universal, public education; I've never heard that public education was a 20th Century Republican priority.
As to the rest, I wasn't suggesting eliminating or curtailing other public services or programs.
What I SAID was that we MIGHT survive without them....
But that no form of democracy can survive without a literate population... and that demands FREE and universal public education.
So that what *I* say can be clearly understood.

NMN


It's not just how things are being taught, but what is being taught. This may sound obscure, but can you bear with me a few seconds NMB? IMHO, what is being taught, from pre-kindergarten to post-graduate studies, except, perhaps in some of the very few nongovernmentally-funded and enmeshed Monterssori schools, is utilitarian ethics, in which democracy and the democratic state are the end-all and be-all. What is taught is that it is perfectly ethical to restrict the freedom of some for the benefit of all. This notion includes the widely-accepted belief that if it necessary to kill some innocent bystanders in Pakistan for the possible benefit of people back in the States, that this, again, is perfectly ethical. Taken to it's extreme, (which happens) if the eleimination of a minority group "with extreme prejudice" may allegedly benefit "society at large", then genocide is hunky -dory. As mentioned before, this utilitarianism, imho, is diametrically opposed to the age-old concept of the Golden Rule in which individuals, not states, are responsible for their own actions.

From my own personal, very limited observations, utilitarianism is taught in every Sunday school, public school, and in most Montessori schools, whereas the GR is given only passing mention if mentioned at all.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire