Why am I having problem with skeptic's logic and reasoning

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
justinrapper
BANNED

Why am I having problem with skeptic's logic and reasoning

Post by justinrapper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I was perusing another Skeptic forum called the Skeptic Friends Network and following 2 threads there with some interest. But I just cannot figure the logic, reasoning and approach the skeptics used to challenge a new member's position on the OP. The members signon name is jamalrapper.
All those participating in the discussion/rebuttal against jamalrapper are moderators/admins. I was especially taken aback by Kil, DaveW the 2 principle challengers who are senior head skeptics .

The links to the 2 OPs are:
1. Yeast evolves multicellularity in lab in 60 days. http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/top ... hichpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. A disturbing trend, 'er no? http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/top ... hichpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope by asking fellow skeptics to shed some light on Skeptic approaches, logic, reasoning and methodology on topics found at another skeptic site is not in any violation of rules.

Please understand. The objective is not to re-litigate the same issues here, but to see if the skeptics did harm to our cause, by applying techniques which certainly did not meet the standards we expects from true skeptics. Any comments from veteran skeptics will be appreciated including our moderators.

Thanks.BTW I also posted the same OP under Skepticism and Critical Thinking because I was not sure where this topic should be posted.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Why am I having problem with skeptic's logic and reasoni

Post by Gord » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking for, exactly. The poster "jamalrapper" seems to be a trouble-maker. Obviousy I haven't read everything there, but he seems to be tossing half-truths around. He also seems to be well-known to them. Why do you think he's a "new member"?

Also, I don't want to get into the whole "true skeptics/false skeptics" or "veteran skeptics/green skeptics" thing. People are just people, and if someone wants to call him- or herself a skeptic, I don't think there's a test of loyalty or anything that needs to be applied. Anyone's arguments should stand on their own, regardless of what title they've chosen to take.

But the discussions you've linked to are pretty long. Is there anything in particular you could point out where you'd like to get some feedback?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:49 pm

What I wanted to know was how the skeptics dealt with the transition of a singlecelled organism into a multicellular organism as claimed by Ratcliff in his experiment without having the remotest knowledge of the Saccharomyces cerevisia, which is known as brewers yeast.

One can see the line of questioning, the omissions, the threats, the insinuations, the misreading and misinterpretation of material supplied. The defense of their position was pretty amateurish.

It seem like a pretty straight forward experiment. Several biologist cautioned it was too premature to accept their conclusions because the Saccharomyces cerevisia, which the experiment/Ratcliff thought was a singlecelled organism actually had a multicellular ancestry.

The experiment could have been a spectacular challenge to evolutionary theories that such single to multicellularity transition took millions of years to happen. It was achieved in just 60 days in the lab. Meaning these jumps(transitions) were not that difficult and did not take that much time.

It is their(skeptics) approach and methodology of denial that was quite disturbing.

I agree jamalrapper appears to feed on their insecurities. But how can skeptics deal with topics they are not qualified for. Subjects on molecular biology do not lend itself well to just logical or analytical dissection. Some knowledge is necessary on the subject., which was demonstrably lacking by the skeptics here.

Thank you for the response.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Can we close this thread since the main discussion is happening in the duplicate thread?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Can we close this thread since the main discussion is happening in the duplicate thread?
Since members are looking for interesting topics in different sections. They may never stumble on it , if it was put under a category they seldom go to.

We could merge the 2 later based on which section shows better interest. But the double posting was not knowing where it should go. I apologize.

I am curious about the response because I have never seen anywhere 6 moderators/admins gang up on one individual along with a host of other members. This is the type of bullying we are trying to discourage.

Here is an example of that mod instinct from the same site SFN. . http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/top ... hichpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blacksamwell
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Buckfutter

Post by Blacksamwell » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

justinrapper wrote:This is the type of bullying we are trying to discourage.
You got a mouse in your pocket? Who's "we"?

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Blacksamwell wrote:
I am not familiar with the expression mouse in your pocket. I was referring to recent events that targeted individuals for being different. Here it is for thinking different.

Your contribution is welcomed. Thanks.

Blacksamwell
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Buckfutter

Post by Blacksamwell » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 pm

justinrapper wrote:
Blacksamwell wrote:
I am not familiar with the expression mouse in your pocket. I was referring to recent events that targeted individuals for being different. Here it is for thinking different.

Who's being targeted? Who's targeting them?

What's your mouse's name?

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Blacksamwell wrote:
justinrapper wrote:
Blacksamwell wrote:

Who's being targeted? Who's targeting them?

What's your mouse's name?
I just told ya I am not familiar with this mouse trap you are talking about. Please explain.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 pm

justinrapper wrote:I just told ya I am not familiar with this mouse trap you are talking about. Please explain.
When you said "we," he wanted to know who you were talking about. If you had a mouse in your pocket, you wouldn't be alone -- then you could say "we" and mean "the mouse in my pocket and me".

It isn't really an expression, although it did remind me of the book Of Mice and Men.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:12 am

Funny, justinrapper reminds me of Lenny.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 am

Girls in high school used to call me Lenny.

Girls in high school are cruel....
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 am

The "we" was referring to the public concern of the type of bullying going on in schools, gay bashing etc. The move to educate kids about these anti-social behavior .

Skeptics are encouraged to apply critical thinking and skeptical inquiry. Did the link to the OP meet that objective?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 am

Locking this duplicate topic. I may or may not merge them. We'll see.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.