Meaning of App

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Meaning of App

Post by rickoshay85 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm

I must have heard App used dozens of times last week, so I finally decided to look it up.

According to Wikipedia...

[QUOTE]Application software, also known as an application or an or an "app", is computer software designed to help the user to perform specific tasks. Examples include enterprise software, accounting software, office suites, graphics software and media players.

Ok, App is short for application, but I still don't know what it does
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: Meaning of App

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

An app is just a computer program. For some reason people just like to call them "apps" when they're on a phone or tablet.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Austin Harper wrote:An app is just a computer program. For some reason people just like to call them "apps" when they're on a phone or tablet.
Knowing zero about computer programs, I'm still in the dark, as are the 99 percent. All we really know is the effect, nothing about the cause.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:An app is just a computer program. For some reason people just like to call them "apps" when they're on a phone or tablet.
Knowing zero about computer programs, I'm still in the dark, as are the 99 percent. All we really know is the effect, nothing about the cause.
How did the 99% come into this?

An app is a computer program. It's a collection of bytes. Those bytes are instructions and data. The computer you're using interprets those bytes in a certain way. For example, one collection of bytes might have the instruction "draw a blue pixel in the uppermost leftmost corner of the screen". The web browser you're using to read this is an app.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Monster wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:
How did the 99% come into this?

An app is a computer program. It's a collection of bytes. Those bytes are instructions and data. The computer you're using interprets those bytes in a certain way. For example, one collection of bytes might have the instruction "draw a blue pixel in the uppermost leftmost corner of the screen". The web browser you're using to read this is an app.
Probably has meaning to another computer programmer, but not me or the 90 percent

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm confused by your confusion. I think most people know what a computer program is.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 am

An app (short for "application") is a computer program. You run it on your cell phone, and it does something for you.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Churchill
Poster

Post by Churchill » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 pm

As stated above, it is simply a computer program. The common usage/lingo is usually associated with mobile phones and tablets. In this case Rick, you are the 1%. :mrgreen:

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Churchill wrote:As stated above, it is simply a computer program. The common usage/lingo is usually associated with mobile phones and tablets. In this case Rick, you are the 1%. :mrgreen:
I am what I admit I am, what more can I say?

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Apparently, appraising appropriately appurtenant app appellations appears appallingly appealing.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:53 pm

vanderpoel wrote:Apparently, appraising appropriately appurtenant app appellations appears appallingly appealing.
Amazing... Did you say all of that without taking a breath?