The Secret Language Code

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

The Secret Language Code

Post by vanderpoel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Quotes:
...You were right if you guessed that women use social words more. However, women use I-words and cognitive words at far higher rates than men.
... the person with the higher status uses I-words less (yes, less) than people who are low in status.
...In controlled studies, we can catch lying about 67% of the time where 50% is chance.

and lots more goodies:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... guage-code
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

zorba
Poster

Re: The Secret Language Code

Post by zorba » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I read that article in the magazine, and I found it fascinating. Thanks for posting it.

In his book about happiness, Martin Seligman wrote of a study where short auto-biographies of nuns written after they retired were compared to their photos in a yearbook taken during their teen years when they first began studying to become nuns. The results showed that the nuns who had a genuine smile in their photos at the age of 17, were much more likely to have reported a happy life years later.

Seligman is one of the most well known and most highly regarded research scientists in the world. A former president of the APA and the leader of a new organization to promote positive psychology.
In a study which was recently completed at the University of Chicago, scientists concluded that 54% of all statistics are just made up.