Deep Ecology at Schumacher

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Deep Ecology at Schumacher

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:29 pm

I am after a little information here, maybe from a British forum member?

A guy I know is about to spend his life savings going off to Britain for a year, to do an M.Sc. degree at Schumacher Collage on the topic of Deep Ecology.

I did some google searching, and found alarming results. It appears to be something quite different to good science. Superstition and pseudo-religion mixed up with ecology. In other words, total woo woo.

Lecturers incude people like Vandana Shiva, who believes that ecology should include ancient Indian mysticism (vedic nonsense), and Deepak Chopra who is pretty damn way out in everything.

What I want to know is if there is some sort of formal recognition (or its opposite) of this degree, and whether there is any good reference I can use to show this guy that he is wasting his time and money.

Anyone able to help?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Deep Ecology at Schumacher

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I am after a little information here, maybe from a British forum member?

I don't think we have any British members. Let me check...

"Kettle's On!" ..........pause .........(Silence)...........try again,

"Free Kylie Minogue Tickets here!" ..........pause .........(Silence)...........

OK, there are no British members...... you will have to use leg work.....here is the addresses for the various UK accreditation boards. There are different accreditation boards for non-government education facilities. There is a wikipedia page that lists all of them.

http://www.qcda.gov.uk/
http://www.qaa.ac.uk/
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 am

Matthew

Thanks for that.
I found a list of UK universities for review. Schumacher was not even on the list, which is probably not a good sign.

Whatthehell.
The guy I mentioned will probably ignore anything I say anyway. We cannot stop people setting themselves up as institutions to teach superstition.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:05 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:We cannot stop people setting themselves up as institutions to teach superstition.

I can, but I'm extremely lazy. Please send him to me and I'll see how soon I can get around to it.

It would be helpful if you draw an X on the back of his head, and supply your own baseball bat.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:49 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:We cannot stop people setting themselves up as institutions to teach superstition.

The Scientologists appear to be world experts at setting up institutions to promote Scientology. Aussies just arrested Jan Eastgate, international president of The Citizen's Commission on Human Rights, another Scientology front, in Sydney. Her court case was a couple days ago but she is delaying to engage better solicitors.

http://www.news.com.au/national/senior- ... 6066162169

( The Scientologists set up "celebrity centres" in the USA to recruit famous actors to scientology. However, like pure capitalistic economics, the Kabbalah loonies set up Kabbalah celebrity centres and recruited idiots like Britney Spears and Madonna to wear little red thread Kabbalah wrist bands.

I suggested to one of my fellows that we should set up a "Aussie celebrity centre" in the USA to recruit American celebrities. He correctly quipped that the whole of Hollywood was an "American celebrity centre" that recruited Aussie celebrities already and with infinite more power. I laughed in agreement and about my naivety)

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Matthew

Thanks for that.
I found a list of UK universities for review. Schumacher was not even on the list, which is probably not a good sign.

Whatthehell.
The guy I mentioned will probably ignore anything I say anyway. We cannot stop people setting themselves up as institutions to teach superstition.

I have a new tactic with folks like that ..... I take a dismembered ox penis (you can buy them in stores... evidently they are food) I wrap it and give it to them.

They open it and yell "what the {!#%@} is this?!?!!"

I say "you're being a retarded dick so I gave you one as a gift...."
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:18 am

bigtim wrote:I have a new tactic with folks like that ..... I take a dismembered ox penis (you can buy them in stores... evidently they are food) I wrap it and give it to them.

They open it and yell "what the {!#%@} is this?!?!!"

I say "you're being a retarded dick so I gave you one as a gift...."

:lol: :lol: Good one.