Fundies doing uncontrolled experiment on their own children?

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Fundies doing uncontrolled experiment on their own children?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Re: Fundies doing uncontrolled experiment on their own child

Post by Chachacha » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Yep, whenever "God is silent on" a question, it's always best to ask fundamentalist-extremist-rapture-readyers for advice.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Of course they have to homeschool, they have to do something, a watched apocalypse never erupts, and what else can they do while sitting around waiting for the rapture and savoring the thought of those years when they can sit around watching the suffering of "the others", and shouting out gleeful "I told you so"s as those who didn't switch to the Jesus Team suffer?

Human beings are endlessly fascinating: all that stuff written to scare them into behaving, and all the threats of punishment and promises of rewards, are filtered and filtered and filtered into the final, toxic essence of, "Hah! I'm a better person than you, and I'll be rewarded and you'll be punished."

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Doing an uncontrolled experiment on your own child is otherwise known as parenting. I'm not sure what the point is here.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:29 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Doing an uncontrolled experiment on your own child is otherwise known as parenting. I'm not sure what the point is here.

Oh shoot, there you go again, being fair and balanced a reasonable and ruining our childish fun. *insert childish pout and foot stomp emoticon here*

Seriously, though, good point: raising each child is an experiment in child-raising.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Chachacha wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Doing an uncontrolled experiment on your own child is otherwise known as parenting. I'm not sure what the point is here.

Oh shoot, there you go again, being fair and balanced a reasonable and ruining our childish fun. *insert childish pout and foot stomp emoticon here*

:childishpout: :footstomp:

Seriously, though, good point: raising each child is an experiment in child-raising.

Sorry about ruining the childish fun bit, I got that part. I was merely wondering if there was some other point I was missing.

Whatever delusions possess the woman in the first bit, her desire to be a good parent is palpable.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:47 am

Amusing statement from the first post at the linked to site:
I've been praying for so long, but this is something that God seems silent on.

Further down the thread:

Silence may be your answer

Sometimes if you don't get a clear go for it, you shouldn't go. I have been questioning next year also. I am pregnant and due Sept. 7th. There goes our begining of the year. But I haven't felt God saying to stop. Instead I've been seeing more and more things validating homeschooling.
I would pray and maybe ask your husband if he has had any answers presented to him. The answer may not come to you but through someone else. Good luck which every way you choose.

Ah, well, I shouldn't be surprised.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38 am

Phlegmak wrote:
...I haven't felt God saying to stop.

Ah, yes, the Homer Simpson [home]school of validation.

"I present you this offering of cookies and milk. If you want me to eat them for you, give me no sign." *silence* "Thy will be done." *nom nom nom*
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?