Lord of the Flies in junior high

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Lord of the Flies in junior high

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:48 am

When I was in seventh grade, one of the books we had to read was Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

And what lesson did the class learn from that book?

That "Piggy" is a screamingly funny nickname for a fat kid.
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Re: Lord of the Flies in junior high

Post by brauneyz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:When I was in seventh grade, one of the books we had to read was Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

And what lesson did the class learn from that book?

That "Piggy" is a screamingly funny nickname for a fat kid.

And being an XY, your maturity level was frozen in 7th grade? :mrgreen:

Great book, but I do not remember being so young and reading it. More like HS. Maybe Chicago's school system was more advanced that NJ's. Come to think of it, probably!
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:32 pm

It is a good book, but that's the wrong age to introduce it.

I had to read it again later to "get" it.
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I went to Chicago Public Skoolz an I dont remembr nuffin about havin to read any story kinda books!

I think I saw the movie wen I wuz less than 15.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:08 pm

JO 753 wrote:I went to Chicago Public Skoolz an I dont remembr nuffin about havin to read any story kinda books!

Brauneyz wrote: Maybe Chicago's school system was more advanced that NJ's. Come to think of it, probably!

Since discretion is the better part of valor, I suggest you [insert your own hysterically witty comment].
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:29 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
JO 753 wrote:I went to Chicago Public Skoolz an I dont remembr nuffin about havin to read any story kinda books!

Brauneyz wrote: Maybe Chicago's school system was more advanced that NJ's. Come to think of it, probably!

Since discretion is the better part of valor, I suggest you [insert your own hysterically witty comment].

I can't do witty. I was schooled in Jersey.
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Never read it, but I did have to read The Pigman and the play The Glass Menagerie. Those things friggin' messed me up! They should've just pumped me full of LSD and tossed me into a room full of rats instead, it would've been kinder.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Gord wrote:Never read it, but I did have to read The Pigman and the play The Glass Menagerie. Those things friggin' messed me up! They should've just pumped me full of LSD and tossed me into a room full of rats instead, it would've been kinder.

Never heard of The Pigman. I think Glass Menagerie was on our optional list, of which we were supposed to read some (a third, I think). I didn't read any of them because I was too busy reading Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, et al.

Thank you, Gord. Its nice to know I chose the right ones.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:40 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:...I was too busy reading Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, et al.

Thank you, Gord. Its nice to know I chose the right ones.

You did, you really did!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

flower

Post by flower » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:48 am

Your article is insteresting, I like it and Thank you for sharing it .

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post by Bunyip » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:It is a good book, but that's the wrong age to introduce it.

We did that book in year 11. Catholic school,so we were supposed to admire Ralph, 'The Christ figure',.but I wanted to be Jack.
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm

I read the Lord of the Flies in high school.

I learned no lessons from it, whatsoever.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:42 am

I read that book when i was ten and i learned too much from that book... i had nightmares.

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I read it in 9th grade I believe. Id say the Scarlet letter messed me up more because it made me want to never read again and I love reading. I read A Brave New World in 8th Grade and I think that was a bit early for that. I didn't truly get it till later.
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 am

Awesome freaking book.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:06 am

We had to read Great Expectations in 7th grade. I wasn't intellectually ready for great literature. It wasn't until I read it as an adult that I was able to comprehend how great a writer Dickens was.

A Tale of Two Cities was more understandable, but that didn't appear on a reading list until I got to high school.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Churchill
Poster

Post by Churchill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 am

KnaveOfHearts wrote:I read it in 9th grade I believe. Id say the Scarlet letter messed me up more because it made me want to never read again and I love reading. I read A Brave New World in 8th Grade and I think that was a bit early for that. I didn't truly get it till later.

Lord of the flies was great, as was Brave New World, both of which if I remember correctly I read in high school. And to complete the triple play, we also read 1984. Not only are these books classics for a good reason, there are so many references to them in popular culture that one would be missing out not reading them.

Like "I have the conch" being lingo for At this moment in time, I have the floor / I am leader, so pay attention. (lord of the flies)

The whole double speak thing and big brother from 1984. (I was born behind the curtain, so it was especially fun to read. )

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 am

Churchill wrote:
KnaveOfHearts wrote:I read it in 9th grade I believe. Id say the Scarlet letter messed me up more because it made me want to never read again and I love reading. I read A Brave New World in 8th Grade and I think that was a bit early for that. I didn't truly get it till later.

Lord of the flies was great, as was Brave New World, both of which if I remember correctly I read in high school. And to complete the triple play, we also read 1984. Not only are these books classics for a good reason, there are so many references to them in popular culture that one would be missing out not reading them.

Like "I have the conch" being lingo for At this moment in time, I have the floor / I am leader, so pay attention. (lord of the flies)

The whole double speak thing and big brother from 1984. (I was born behind the curtain, so it was especially fun to read. )

I think 15 or 16 is the right age for all those books.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 pm

bigtim wrote:
Churchill wrote:

I think 15 or 16 is the right age for all those books.

And then again in your 40's or so when you've done some living. Way new perspective. In fact, I discovered To Kill A Mockingbird at 14, and reread it every 5 years or so and marveled at the nuances I'd missed. Reminds me ... I'm overdue.

Churchill
Poster

Post by Churchill » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:It is a good book, but that's the wrong age to introduce it.

If you didn't 'get' Lord of the Flies at that age, your teacher should have explained it. I always assumed that's what teachers are in the class room for, to explain things to the students.

We read a good amount of Shakespear in High School and try as I might, I couldn't (and still probably can't) fully understand that old school English. But somehow some of my classmates could make it out. Nevertheless, my English teachers were fairly good and explained everything as we read. Plus coles notes was your friend (before the internet came along and you could google anything). I ended up really enjoying and appreciating the bard even though at first go, I didn't understand much.

Churchill
Poster

Post by Churchill » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:22 am

brauneyz wrote:And then again in your 40's or so when you've done some living. Way new perspective. In fact, I discovered To Kill A Mockingbird at 14, and reread it every 5 years or so and marveled at the nuances I'd missed. Reminds me ... I'm overdue.

I'll have to put that one on my to read list.

The one I enjoyed reading a few times over the years (although the last time was a long while ago) was John Stuart Mill's On Liberty. It was one of those books I didn't really expect much from necessarily but found that once I started, I couldn't put it down until I finished (although I likely took more than one sitting even though it is a short book). I think I felt that some of the concepts were known to me, but that J.S. Mill put it into words much better and clearer than I ever could :D

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 am

Churchill wrote: If you didn't 'get' Lord of the Flies at that age, your teacher should have explained it. I always assumed that's what teachers are in the class room for, to explain things to the students.

I think you are right. The teacher explained the themes and literary devices of Lord of the Flies to the class. Even if a younger student didn't "get it" the younger student still understands that novels have themes and literary devices. It is simply grounding of skills for later additional learning.

( I assume the director JJ Abrams "got it" from Lord of the Flies as the themes pop up in the first series of his television series LOST. I watched every episode of LOST over a three week period and I thought it was very clever and good television. )

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:30 am

Churchill wrote:I'll have to put that one on my to read list.

You should also add Of Mice and Men, and Fly Away Peter.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Churchill
Poster

Post by Churchill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:16 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Churchill wrote:I'll have to put that one on my to read list.

You should also add Of Mice and Men, and Fly Away Peter.

I think I read part of 'Of Mice and Men', plus I saw the movie. Don't know if I heard about 'Fly Away Peter', I'll look into it, thanks.

Churchill
Poster

Post by Churchill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:57 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:( I assume the director JJ Abrams "got it" from Lord of the Flies as the themes pop up in the first series of his television series LOST. I watched every episode of LOST over a three week period and I thought it was very clever and good television. ) [/color]

Ha! My wife and I watched the entire series, but over the years of it running on the tely. We noticed the analogies to the Lord of the Flies too. We thought the first season was really good and got sucked in from there. Ended up watching all the way to the end just to find out how it ends. In for a penny, in for a pound kind of thing :)

They really milked the whole 'hatch' thing at the start. I personally find it difficult to watch shows that are too abstract, and I found there was too much magic during the entire series for my liking. Otherwise they developed some of the characters really well. The episodes with the scientist Michael Faraday were pretty cool. I didn't really like the John Locke character very much though. Said and Sawyer were fun though. Australia factored quite a bit in the show. Did that help make it popular down there?

In the end, they were dead the whole time and it was kind of a transition place before going on to heaven or hell? Was that the premise?

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post by Bunyip » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 am

Yeah,we did "Lord Of The Flies" too. First time I had come across the word 'allegory'

Unfortunately for me, I was attending a Catholic boys school. They were pretty heavy handed with the Ralph/Christ analogy and demonising Jack. I actually thought Ralph was wet,Piggy pathetic and Jack the most interesting character in the book. :mrgreen:

PS saw the B&W 1963 film of the book in1966.I think it's much better than the 1990 remake.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Lord of the Flies is a 1963 film adaptation of William Golding's novel of the same name. It was directed by Peter Brook and produced by Lewis M. Allen, known since for producing films based on modern-classic novels. The film was in production for much of 1961 though the film was not released until 1963. Golding himself supported the film. When Kenneth Tynan was a script editor for Ealing Studios he commissioned a script of Lord of the Flies from Nigel Kneale, but Ealing Studios closed in 1959 before it could be produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_th ... 63_film%29
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 am

Churchill wrote: They really milked the whole 'hatch' thing at the start. I personally find it difficult to watch shows that are too abstract, and I found there was too much magic during the entire series for my liking.

I agree. I don't like "magic" in shows as a general rule, however, like a good stage magician, the director "teased out" the show with red herrings and odd moments to suck the audience in. He mixed up science fiction (the hatch) with retro (the Institute) and magic all at once. Twin Peaks had great magical moments in the first episodes but was too obviously "pulling our legs". My biggest disappointment was the remake of the UK's The Prisoner which was an extremely clever plausible science fiction/spy show converted into a derivative of LOST
Churchill wrote: Otherwise they developed some of the characters really well. The episodes with the scientist Michael Faraday were pretty cool. I didn't really like the John Locke character very much though. Said and Sawyer were fun though. Australia factored quite a bit in the show. Did that help make it popular down there?
I believe it was a hit in Australia on DVD hire rather than free to air television.

Churchill wrote: In the end, they were dead the whole time and it was kind of a transition place before going on to heaven or hell? Was that the premise?

I wouldn't try to set out the premise on a piece of paper as it wouldn't make sense. I think it was "ghosts who don't know they are ghosts are chosen by other dead ghosts to become trustees for a magical island" (which doesn't sound all that exciting if you write it down)