A Case for Blue Collar Work

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

A Case for Blue Collar Work

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:16 am

A case for learning a trade rather than pursuing a college degree:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbauma ... a-n2539956
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Re: A Case for Blue Collar Work

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:14 pm

It isn’t either go to college or work manually. Rather that even a person with advanced education needs skills too. I have an MBA and do my own plumbing, electrical, carpentry, ditch digging, etc. In fact it was manual labor that paid for the education. A bit atypical maybe, but I knew many who followed the same path.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:14 pm
It isn’t either go to college or work manually. Rather that even a person with advanced education needs skills too. I have an MBA and do my own plumbing, electrical, carpentry, ditch digging, etc. In fact it was manual labor that paid for the education. A bit atypical maybe, but I knew many who followed the same path.
That's true, and the flip-side of that is that not having a college degree doesn't prevent anyone from becoming educated.

Examples are that neither Thomas Edison nor the Wright brothers graduated from high school, but they learned the 3 R's well enough that Edison invented most everything and became chairman of Consolidated Edison, and the Wright brothers invented aeronautical engineering and created the successful Wright Aviation company.

And learning plumbing work, for example can possibly lead to ownership of a very lucrative plumbing company if one puts in the effort, which, again, doesn't prevent anyone from becoming educated.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Only the uneducated look down on the educated. IMO, those who are educated and look down on the uneducated missed becoming educated.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:56 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 pm
Only the uneducated look down on the educated.

IMO, those who are educated and look down on the uneducated missed becoming educated.
Yes to both.

To which I would add Mark Twain's semi-serious comment, "Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned." (He did, after all, pay the tuition of the first black student to attend Yale law school, although he didn't graduate from high school himself.)

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 pm

A formal education mostly shows that you are smart enough to get a formal education. That's all most employers care about.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:54 pm

When employed, I actually used quite a bit of what I learned through the MBA, and of course then better understood what those I worked with were saying.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm

How successful you are in life and bizness correlated most closely to intelligence.

The higher your education level achieved correlates to how well socialized you are.

Exceptions of course..........thats what correlation means.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Not that closely correlated.
Plenty of people like Trump in the world.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Look up Mike Rowe and his efforts in this issue.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:48 pm

When I finished my Air Force duties, I was qualified to do three things: fly airplanes, pump gas, and babysit. The airlines weren't hiring, gas pumps went self service, and no body would allow a 26 year old beer drinking wise ass to babysit their kiddies...........and while I could "do" that job, I really had no interest..............

What to do?

My memory of those days is that the job market was not that tight even though I had no skills. Ha, ha.........what youthful optimism I possessed. Well, I went back to school to get a degree that lead to a job..........but..........I almost went into the trades to buy and renovate houses. and if I were facing the job market I see today, I think that still makes a lot of sense. Lots of competition, but thats always the case........the upside potential and response to paying attention, character, and expertise is still there and not subject to "foreign" competition or automation as everything else is. Plus........something satisfying in working with your hands, not found in paperwork.

I pity the kiddies.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:33 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm
How successful you are in life and bizness correlated most closely to intelligence.
No. That's not true. It is unique combinations of intelligence, education and hands on experience, matching the unique business environment that allows for success in business.

I had to study this in industrial and organisational psychology . Oddly, the concept ended up as a plot line in Star Trek

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:05 am

I studied the issue as well in my Psych classes. What I mostly remember was the different shaped bell shaped curves all having very intelligent people in every occupation/success that was identified. The lower intelligent people were found were you might think they would be and the averages (mean, median, mode) also varied as you might guess. Thats why its only a loose correlation........I assume it hasn't changed? When everyone in a given occupation has the same education ....what makes for different success?