Are we sure global warming is bad?

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
MikeN
Regular Poster

Re: Are we sure global warming is bad?

Post by MikeN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 pm

>that is contextually correct is that bobbo missed some issue but still came up with a good conclusion.
Yup.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Third time: what issue did I miss? C'mon dude: this is how I get better: recognizing mistakes/opportunities to be more inclusive/better.

Know what I mean?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Apparently it's "wrong" to point out that a scientific opinion is not a scientific fact. According to this article, we would have been in the throes of another ice age, if it were not for the greenhouse effect, our "savior." Personally, I don't have a clue whether global warming will kill us, or an ice age will wipe out the temperate regions, or whether we'll adapt to whatever we get, but I know that no one has a crystal ball. All we have are opinions, informed or otherwise.

Let's think about this for a second. So if the greenhouse effect is the only thing protecting us from an ice age, why are we so intent on stopping it? Climate change has been a fact throughout human and natural history. A static climate has never been a reality. If we are willing to pull out all stops to fight climate change, how would we know we hadn't made a huge mistake, opening the floodgates to an ice age? There is abundant evidence that an ice age can arrive suddenly and catastrophically, so how is it not a dangerous game we are playing?

So maybe it's a better idea to set aside our militant certainty about this matter and start listening to alternate opinions instead of declaring them "wrong." This thing is a lot bigger than petty partisan squabbling could ever resolve.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm

landrew wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:09 pm
Personally, I don't have a clue ................
Yea verily. And yet you post.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:33 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm
landrew wrote:
It sounds as though you think you do.
Do tell...
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm

thats correct landrew: I accept "the best science available" aka: IPCC reports. Its abysmally poor to raise ignorance as an achievement when the science is clear.

I think you know this........you just have your hat on crooked.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm
thats correct landrew: I accept "the best science available" aka: IPCC reports. Its abysmally poor to raise ignorance as an achievement when the science is clear.

I think you know this........you just have your hat on crooked.
Nothing wrong with accepting what you think is the best opinion available.

There's also nothing wrong with knowing that it could be wrong.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:46 pm

We've already covered that. Your jag off is a waste of time and intellectually bankrupt.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:46 pm
We've already covered that. Your jag off is a waste of time and intellectually bankrupt.
Typical reaction to being intellectually cornered.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Its math. "We don't know (formally as defined by logic) anything "for sure." So, it drops out of any equation because its on both sides.

Thing is though: you are purely stupid to ever post that notion unless the subject is closely related as in epistemology, consciousness, and so forth. And you are purely hypocritical because you use "the best guess" for 100% of your daily decision making. You just come here and cough up your hair ball because of some psychological imbalance.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm

So here we are on the horns of a dilemma. On one hand we face global warming due to the greenhouse effect, which could lead us to a world-wide catastrophes of many forms, but on the other hand, we are due for an ice age from the Milankovitch cycle. It seems a lot to ask of ourselves to steer the earth correctly between those two terrible outcomes, particularly since we don't seem to know much about predicting the future. Can we really expect that we have the power to properly adjust the climate so that it will remain stable, as it has never done in the past? That's a pretty tall ask.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm

It is so simple, Landrew.
Forget your theory, which like logic is a wonderful way of making confident mistakes. Look instead at the empirical data. The world is warming up and has been since the industrial revolution. Stuff the new ice age. We are facing global warming. Let us deal with it!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 pm

landrew wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm
So here we are on the horns of a dilemma. On one hand we face global warming due to the greenhouse effect, which could lead us to a world-wide catastrophes of many forms, but on the other hand, we are due for an ice age from the Milankovitch cycle. It seems a lot to ask of ourselves to steer the earth correctly between those two terrible outcomes, particularly since we don't seem to know much about predicting the future. Can we really expect that we have the power to properly adjust the climate so that it will remain stable, as it has never done in the past? That's a pretty tall ask.
Lame. Very Lame.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:10 am

So what's the formula that will take us between the twin perils of global warming or the next ice age? Both seem certain, but only one can occur. Are we really so powerful that we think we can avoid either?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:22 am

WITH the Earth getting less solar radiation because of the MCycle, AND we are warming faster than ever before and predicted to average another 2 Degrees by before 2100: please state what the dilema is.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ure+graphs

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 am

The Milankovitch cycle has nothing to do with the earth receiving less solar radiation. It's the orbital precession that causes a greater buildup of ice than can melt away in the summer months. We are currently at that point in the cycle where the ice begins to build up, but apparently the greenhouse effect is counteracting it, but we don't know for how long. Only a lunatic would claim to know that the Milankovitch cycle has been nullified for all time.
Last edited by landrew on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 am

Idiot.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 am

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 am
Idiot.
Irrefutable arguments often draw asinine comments like that.

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 am

landrew wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:33 pm
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm
landrew wrote:
It sounds as though you think you do.
Do tell...
No, he's just talking about himself again.

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 am

landrew wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 am
Idiot.
Irrefutable arguments often draw asinine comments like that.
Surprisingly, I agree with bobbo again. It is irrefutable that Milankovitch produces changes in solar radiation. Your own description means that. Weren't you talking about you can't change the laws of nature?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:52 am

MikeN wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 am

Surprisingly, I agree with bobbo again. It is irrefutable that Milankovitch produces changes in solar radiation. Your own description means that. Weren't you talking about you can't change the laws of nature?
If you're not willing to do research and allow ignorance to make your arguments like that, I'm obviously in the wrong place.

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:56 am

landrew wrote:
The Milankovitch cycle has nothing to do with the earth receiving less solar radiation.
Third sentence of Wikipedia article:
In the 1920s, he hypothesized that variations in eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit resulted in cyclical variation in the solar radiation reaching the Earth...

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am

That is theory.
My approach is simple. I am skeptical of anything that relies on theory or logic. In science, what wins is solid empirically derived data. Landrew is telling us something based on theory, which makes me utterly skeptical. I was the same about Bobbo presenting a conclusion that by 2100 there would be 1.5 million people dying each year from global warming. Another bit of very dubious theory. To convince me, you need data. And the data is there. It shows serious warming since the industrial revolution.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:58 am

Jebus Christ you guys are idiots ...........specifically when disagreeing, quibbling, contradicting your own premises.

The MCycles: IS NOT A THEORY. Its an observable, measured facts. Its as simple as: anything that orbits a sun has an MCycle.

Lamedude says there is a "dilemma" as to whether or not the MCycle will win/prevail over AGW and then states the MCycle has nothing to do with the issue. PURE IDIOCY. So stupid in fact that "I don't believe it." Makes much more sense that lamedude is as previously posted just on some self amusing jag-off of his own. I'm close to saying "trolling" but I've never accused anyone of that.......and to the degree trolling is meant to involve others in meaningless discussion, lamedude fails in that as well as his contradictory postings are so obviously incoherent. Not an inducement. Heh, heh.......I do see the humor of it. Just not "my" sense of humor.......but to each his own.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 pm

MikeN wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:56 am
landrew wrote:
The Milankovitch cycle has nothing to do with the earth receiving less solar radiation.
Third sentence of Wikipedia article:
In the 1920s, he hypothesized that variations in eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit resulted in cyclical variation in the solar radiation reaching the Earth...
Variation throughout the seasons, but no net change throughout the year. It just takes a bit more studying past the part you are looking for to win the argument.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Dictionary Skills if its not the pork tacos: "eccentricity".......the ninth word in.