Making it better

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Making it better

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 am

I am sure we will, too. I am not sure that evolution is not up to the job. Frankly, I would suspect that the Y chromosome has been in it's current parlous state for many millions of years and would continue for many more.

landrew
True Skeptic

Re: Making it better

Post by landrew » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 am
I am sure we will, too. I am not sure that evolution is not up to the job. Frankly, I would suspect that the Y chromosome has been in it's current parlous state for many millions of years and would continue for many more.
Evolution is fraught with dead ends. It's blind after all. A short term advantage will be selected for, but may lead to extinction. Evolution has no "brain" with which to plan ahead. Our Y chromosome has been guided by natural selection to the path it's on now, which would eventually lead to our extinction as a species, if we do not intervene at some point.

Evolution does not "conquer all." It fails frequently. Many species have gone parthenogenic, which is reproduction by cloning. Some insects exist only as females, and no male of the species has ever been found. This will eventually lead to their extinction due to loss of genetic diversity. Every species that has lived on the earth has gone extinct, but not before some of them spawned new species to replace the ones that disappeared. If we were to do nothing to repair our genome, and were to go extinct, no doubt another organism would eventually rise to fill our niche.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.