Making it better

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Making it better

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 pm

I have told the pessimists on this forum topic a number of times that action to mitigate global warming has already begun. Now there is a New Scientist article on this. 23 February 2019, page 40.

At the risk of having Pyrrho castigate me for plagiarism, I am quoting the first paragraph, which is a good intro.

"Nobody said it would be easy - but maybe it isn't as hard as we think. As the world grapples with how to limit global warming to 1.5 C, solutions are already in our hands. All around the planet, countries are deploying technologies that reduce carbon emissions in the big areas where radical change is needed
: energy generation, transport, industry, buildings and land use. "

The article goes on to list 18 different methods by which people are already tracking global warming. Here they are, in order of maximum impact according to the article.

1. On grid solar energy.
2. Reducing deforestation.
3. More wind turbines.
4. More efficient stoves, rather than horrible old coal or wood fired ones.
5. Reforestation.
6. Making industry more energy efficient.
7. Making cars more energy efficient.
8. Making household appliances and other machines more energy efficient.
9. Stopping leaks in methane handling pipes and equipment.
10. Reducing food waste.
11. Burning waste wood for energy.
12. Improving farming techniques.
13. Rooftop solar water heating.
14. Government money grants for energy efficiency in homes.
15. Improving energy efficiency in electric motors.
16. Home insulation.
17. Better bus transport.
18. Off grid solar energy.

These are what are happening now, and making a major difference to greenhouse gases already. I would add more as part of my wish list. Leaving the coal in the ground, and replacing coal with natural gas or other sources for energy. And (of course) rehabilitating the image of nuclear power so it can also make a major contribution.

Anyway, let us no more hear from those with little know how that the world is doing nothing.

landrew
Has No Life

Re: Making it better

Post by landrew » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 pm
I have told the pessimists on this forum topic a number of times that action to mitigate global warming has already begun. Now there is a New Scientist article on this. 23 February 2019, page 40.

At the risk of having Pyrrho castigate me for plagiarism, I am quoting the first paragraph, which is a good intro.

"Nobody said it would be easy - but maybe it isn't as hard as we think. As the world grapples with how to limit global warming to 1.5 C, solutions are already in our hands. All around the planet, countries are deploying technologies that reduce carbon emissions in the big areas where radical change is needed
: energy generation, transport, industry, buildings and land use. "

The article goes on to list 18 different methods by which people are already tracking global warming. Here they are, in order of maximum impact according to the article.

1. On grid solar energy.
2. Reducing deforestation.
3. More wind turbines.
4. More efficient stoves, rather than horrible old coal or wood fired ones.
5. Reforestation.
6. Making industry more energy efficient.
7. Making cars more energy efficient.
8. Making household appliances and other machines more energy efficient.
9. Stopping leaks in methane handling pipes and equipment.
10. Reducing food waste.
11. Burning waste wood for energy.
12. Improving farming techniques.
13. Rooftop solar water heating.
14. Government money grants for energy efficiency in homes.
15. Improving energy efficiency in electric motors.
16. Home insulation.
17. Better bus transport.
18. Off grid solar energy.

These are what are happening now, and making a major difference to greenhouse gases already. I would add more as part of my wish list. Leaving the coal in the ground, and replacing coal with natural gas or other sources for energy. And (of course) rehabilitating the image of nuclear power so it can also make a major contribution.

Anyway, let us no more hear from those with little know how that the world is doing nothing.
I'm not a pessimist or a denialist, but I think we'll need a lot more than a laundry list like that to solve the problem. Many things on that list are either minuscule, vague, inappropriate or ineffective. Reinsulation of homes has already been done in most cases, but to take it farther, geothermal heating and cooling should be added to the list. All the suggestions concerning wood and forestation are just temporary, carbon-neutral and short term. Making technology more efficient is easier said than done.

Slacktivism won't solve this with a list of "at least it's something" ideas. It will eventually require a full commitment, of which this falls far short.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:05 am

A lot of things need to be added to the list. But my point is that a very good start has been made.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:33 am

I gave you the author/book re how the World is Headed for disaster because your list is INEFFECTIVE. Grossly out of whack with the response needed by the challenge presented.

Again, as it is a change in my long held position: he said we need to go full nuke and full Green. The nuke is needed because total reliance on Green will be effective: too late to save us.

I know: multiple variables hiding the core issue: Lag Time.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:08 am

Bobbo.

My point is that we have made a good start.
Certainly more needs to be done. Leave coal in the ground for a start.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:17 am

My point: YOUR POINT IS WRONG. Can I be more direct?

Read it again. Its insufferable how much repetition you call for.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:05 am

Your point, Bobbo, as always, is doom and gloom.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 am

Not at all Lance. But you are. Recommending programs that WONT WORK as a good start. Can't you update your opinion when the facts change?

IE: all according to that book I referenced: Go asap to Nuke to provide the transition to Green. Just my own thought: if we are going to add a cookie cutter advanced designed SAFE Nuke every other week or so....each one should be used and associated with some kind of carbon from the air capturing technology to remove co2 from the system.

Also just heard on TV some new think tank studies that instead of a net cost to going green, it can be "rethought" as providing an increase in gdp: ie: SMART PLANNING could address AGW and allow continued growth. I know: what a concept......but it can't be done with your Denier program.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Actually, those 18 points were not my recommendations. They were actions already under way as listed by New Scientist. This, Bobbo, is not an opinion, yours or mine. This is reality.

Of course, that does not mean we cannot do more. We can and should. I mentioned a couple more things that we can do.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 pm
Actually, those 18 points were not my recommendations. They were actions already under way as listed by New Scientist. This, Bobbo, is not an opinion, yours or mine. This is reality.

Of course, that does not mean we cannot do more. We can and should.
What reality do you dimly obfuscate by saying :we can and should....do more?

I've seen about 5 qualified opinions in the past week that 2.0C is already baked into our future even if we stopped INCREASING our co2 input. You see Lance: the proposed "mitigation" (sic==do you understand mitigation is an upfront admission of inadequacy?) is exponentially less than what needs to be done. Window dressing as the planet burns.

Please Lance: get real.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:02 am

I am real. Sadly, you are not reading my posts.
When I say we can and should do more, that is not window dressing. When I say that we must leave coal in the ground, that is not window dressing. When you say we have 2 degrees committed, please note that I have said my own prediction is 4.

You do not improve your credibility by misrepresenting other people.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:27 am

You continue to minimize, divert, deny and not recognize the import of the issues you claim to understand.

What does "must" mean in your understanding and why isn't your must on the list you think "is a good start"?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:12 am

That list of 18 is not mine, Bobbo. It is a list published in New Scientist mag. In other words, I did not choose them. It is a list of things already happening, and I posted it to show you that mitigating global warming has already started.

Sure, it is not enough. But you will remember the Chinese proverb about a journey of a thousand miles. This is a start. Even though the idiot POTUS is a global warming denier, most nations take AGW very seriously and are at least beginning to take steps.

Your latest post, Bobbo, is just you being negative, as always. If someone invented a method of sucking all the CO2 out of the atmosphere, and had already done this, you would be complaining that people were still breathing it out.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:47 am

Rather than understand what mitigation means ((NOT REACHING YOUR GOAL)) you imagine very silly words ((must be your own thinking?)) and put them in my mouth?.....................figures.

You speak out of both sides of your mouth, having your cake and eating it too. You say what we are doing is not sufficient, yet we will still adapt. You say poor people who can't afford air conditioning can adapt to 53C temps but don't say how. Only those rich enough to afford air conditioning can live in 53 C temps, but you say the poor can just start their thousand mile march.

One good comment thats been a continuing comment by a few was addressed by The Uninhabitable Earth, by David Wallace-Wells: sometimes its good to panic. To arrive at consensus and policy changes by FEAR. He gave two examples: anti-smoking legilsation and Mothers Against Drunk Driving. I see some of it developing for the Anti-Anti-Vaxer stupidity. AGW deniers/apologists/fantacists/Pollyannas/adapters/.....should not be far behind.

The time to panic was actually 30 years ago.............................

The author of

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:28 pm

It's not that nothing is done or improving. My worry is the scale and that big changes are mostly in percentages from low levels not in gross real terms. New energy tends to be on top of the old energy at best capping the use at an already too high level.

Im not in the "we're all gonna die!" camp, but somewhat pessimistic in regards to political doabilities, and that changes come too late to avoid alot of the problems too much climate change brings.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:49 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:47 am

The time to panic was actually 30 years ago.............................
It's never a good time to panic.
Hysteria has no IQ, and IQ is what we will need most, going forward.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Bobbo is arguing all or nothing, now.

Well, life is not like that. A snowball rolling down the hill begins small and takes time to build up. That is what is happening with mitigation efforts for AGW. But Bobbo thinks that no effort is worth while unless it is massively drastic. If he had his way, we would begin by shooting 99% of the human species in order to sufficiently reduce human impact.

Sorry Bobbo. We are not going to do that. Humanity will begin small (and it has) and will build up its efforts, till greenhouse gas emissions equal greenhouse gas absorption. No one will live with 53 Celsius. That is just your sick fantasy. There will be storms, and occasional nasty heat waves, but people will learn to deal with it, especially with the new technology that will be introduced over the next few decades.

There will be some mass migration, but it will be within nations, except for a few cases (like the small island of Tuvalu, which my country has already offered sanctuary to). Mostly the movement will be a short distance from the coast, or perhaps from drier areas to wetter. There will NOT be billions trying to reach Siberia.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:48 pm

In the interests of being fair and balanced, here's to granting the deniers a bit of equal time:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/ ... edictions/

Fair is fair, right? There's nothing to lose if all their claims are refutable.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Thank you for that, landrew. A very nice reference. It clearly shows how extremists exaggerate reality.

Now see if you can perform a miracle and get Bobbo to read it.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 pm
Thank you for that, landrew. A very nice reference. It clearly shows how extremists exaggerate reality.

Now see if you can perform a miracle and get Bobbo to read it.
No doubt he'll claim that there's nothing to read because everything the deniers say has been debunked. He's already called us both deniers just because we don't fully agree with his hysterical viewpoint.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: eugenics never stopped

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:50 pm

global growth rate about 1.07% - down from over 2% in 1970 .
so that's only 82 million more per year .
main thing - just need to make sure that the majority of people live in abject poverty .

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 pm

To PIAS

Sadly for your comment there, the number of people living in abject poverty is falling all the time. According to Prof. Hans Rosling in his book "Factfulness", the percentage of humans who could not be sure of eating tomorrow (ie. abject poverty) fell from 80% about 200 years ago to 9% today. This is for the whole world. That number continues to fall.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 pm
To PIAS

Sadly for your comment there, the number of people living in abject poverty is falling all the time. According to Prof. Hans Rosling in his book "Factfulness", the percentage of humans who could not be sure of eating tomorrow (ie. abject poverty) fell from 80% about 200 years ago to 9% today. This is for the whole world. That number continues to fall.
Yes, it's true, most things are getting better and better, but that mean they're good enough:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... ing-better

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:13 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:05 am
Your point, Bobbo, as always, is doom and gloom.
Lance appreciation of doom and gloom: that 100's of millions of people will be displaced due to climate change and 10's of millions will die directly from its effects and this is the best case scenario. This is what Lance calls "adapting to the change." Anybody "see" a blind spot?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 am

Blind spot.

Definitely. The blind spot is the simple fact that this is Bobbos fantasy, not reality.

I wonder if there is any chance he might read landrew's references ?
I doubt it. Learning new stuff might dislodge his blinkers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:10 am

OK Data Man: how many people are going to die from AGW before we take action to prevent increasing co2 pollution? You know prevent: more than a good start or a first step. Oh.....btw: I gave you an out at 2C rise and you claim "we can adapt" even at 4C temp rise. So, again: how many people's deaths do you accept as part of your adaption scheme with efforts to avoid such looses being hysterical?

Here's another out: do you really have it in mind what a 4C temp rise will do?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 am

1. Deaths
We do not know how many people will die as a result of AGW. We do not know how many people would die as a result of no AGW if that was the case. Certainly I am not going to believe anything claimed by idiot extremists.

2. Do I know what 4 Celsius would bring ? No, and nor do you, or anyone else. The IPCC may have a hint, but even they are unable to be sure.

The saying is : " Prediction is truly difficult, especially about the future. "
The only method of predicting the future that has a good success rate is to take existing trends and project them. Of course, even that sometimes fails. But using the best system, some reasonable predictions can be made. For example, I predict that the average sea level rise globally over the next ten years will be 3 to 4 centimetres (about one and a half inches). This is a simple projection of what is currently happening. I also predict that there will be numerous idiots who predict far more. They will be proven wrong.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:32 am

Four Degree Warming by 2100:

https://www.greenfacts.org/en/impacts-g ... /index.htm

1. The global community has committed itself to holding warming below 2°C to prevent “dangerous” climate change (as laid out in the Cancun agreement of the UNFCCC in 2010), but the sum total of current policies—those already in place and those that have been pledged—will very likely lead to warming far in excess of these levels. Indeed, present emission trends put the world plausibly on a path toward 4°C warming within the century.

2. What changes in climate are expected with a 4°C global temperature increase?

The largest warming will occur over land and range from 4°C to 10°C. Increases of 6°C or more in average monthly summer temperatures would be expected in large regions of the world, including the Mediterranean, North Africa, the Middle East. ((bobbonote: IE: by definition "averages" contain extremes. Its the unavoidable EXTREMES that provide climate disruption events like entire crop losses. Totally ignored by the denialists.....as if one can adapt to no food for two weeks at a time. Hey.....on average food was available.............))

3. The combination of thermally induced bleaching events, ocean acidification, and sea-level rise threatens large fractions of coral reefs even at 1.5°C global warming. Coral reefs in particular are indeed acutely sensitive to changes in water temperatures and pH, and intensity and frequency of tropical cyclones. Reefs provide protection against coastal floods, storm surges, and wave damage as well as nursery grounds and habitat for many fish species. By the time the warming reaches 2.4°C, in the 2060s, it is likely that coral reefs in many areas would start to dissolve.

4. Recent research suggests that large-scale loss of biodiversity is likely to occur with a temperature increase of 4°C. Climate change and high CO2 concentration would drive the earth´s ecosystems into a state unknown in human experience.

..........Nothing to get concerned over? concerned: more than lip service and blind faith that unproven unknown scientific breakthroughs will save us.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:34 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 am
1. Deaths
We do not know how many people will die as a result of AGW.
The Denier Code. We don't know: but "we" can adapt to it so, lets not panic. I actually was expecting something not as outlandish.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:09 am

Bobbo

It is bad enough that you exaggerate way beyond anything remotely possible, but it is also bad that you misquote me repeatedly. I have never said there was nothing to get concerned over. My message to you is not denial. It is simply that you, and others, are heavily into ridiculous exaggeration. I must admit, I wonder if there is not an element of mass hysteria involved ? If you want to check, wikipedia has an article on mass hysteria.

There are numerous people fronting for a call to action on AGW, who show signs of this hysteria. They are the ones who talk of societal collapse and megadeaths. There is no genuine evidence that these are likely. I would consider it more likely that such a disaster would result from idiot politicians (you know who) doing things that lead to nuclear war.

What needs doing has already begun. Like many such programs, it is building up slowly. Encouraging these actions is good. Getting idiotically hysterical is not.

Incidentally, Bobbo, since it is obvious you have not read, and probably never will read (it threatens your precious blinkered ideas) landrews references, the first one lists a number of exaggerated predictions which have proven not to happen. This process has not stopped, and continues to fuel global warming deniers, who can accurately point to ridiculous and false exaggerations.
Last edited by Lance Kennedy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:11 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
1. Deaths
completely irresponsible. Arguing from ignorance.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:13 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:11 am
Lance Kennedy wrote:
1. Deaths
completely irresponsible. Arguing from ignorance.
We are all arguing from ignorance.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:18 am

No Lance, we are not.

I constantly link to reputable articles that lay out their estimates and how they were reached. You and your ilk simply dismiss them saying technology will save us or we can adapt. You try to gain credibility by saying you agree AGW is serious: then you decry efforts to actually draw attention to the issue to ACTUALLY FIX IT.

To claim you make decisions based on data when you admit you HAVE NO DATA: is .................................. really bad. Know what I mean?

Number of deaths with 4C AVERAGE temp rise: or STFU. (Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable)

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:36 am

I will agree with bobbo, that your list is ineffective. Plus in practical terms your second item contradicts the first and third.

Scientists are calling for a 90% cut in emissions to keep global warming below a safe level. Your list is imprecise, but mostly small impact items. The only major items are developing of renewable energy, and land use change(de/re forestation).
The problem is this:
If you want 90% reduction in emissions, then the target level is 10%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _emissions

Notice, USA+EU+JAPAN= CHINA, at 29.5%.
How to get a total of 10% when China is at 30%, and increasing?
Then you have India emissions are increasing and will surpass the 10% level soon. She has shown no interest in playing China's game of pretending to play along with emissions reductions to get money from the rest of the world. Though India has implemented a small carbon tax and is increasing solar and nuclear.
A small reduction in emissions, even 50% cut, does not alter the trajectory of global warming that much, according to the models the scientists are using.
This is why the rest of your list is irrelevant.

Back to your solutions list. Solar and wind energy and off grid are all nice, but my main point, which comes from Roger Pielke Jr, is that these technologies are more expensive than fossil fuels. You will not get other countries to switch to renewable energy by making fossil fuels more expensive but by making renewable energy so cheap they will flock to it.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 am

Mike

I have never suggested that list was adequate, and indeed admitted several times it is not. But it is a start. Any effective action has to start somewhere and that simply shows that a start has been made. Nor is that list mine. I am quoting. Please do not join Bobbo in being part of the straw man brigade.

On fossil fuels. You can cut greenhouse gas emissions substantially by moving from coal to natural gas, which is also cheaper per unit energy than coal. This has already happened in many places.

To Bobbo.
You use references which are so prejudiced that they are barely worth looking at. You also totally fail to even bother reading our references. Not a sign of an open mind.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 am
To Bobbo.
You use references which are so prejudiced that they are barely worth looking at.
so you say, after saying "we don't know" while claiming to be data driven? Just a confusing mish mash of self serving denial supporting drivel. I CHALLENGE YOU LANCE: point out the errors in the most recent provided LINK: https://www.greenfacts.org/en/impacts-g ... /index.htm HINT: it is totally consistent with IPCC summaries. So.....go ahead and debunk it.

Lance Kennedy wrote:
You also totally fail to even bother reading our references.
You mean I don't sign up for a subscription to Sci-Amer? Even though your last comment was to compliment me on finding a linkable reference to the article you mischaracterized?? THAT KIND OF FAILURE? Just more mish mash from you. STFU. (Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable)
Lance Kennedy wrote:
Not a sign of an open mind.
Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable

Lance Says: "We are Making It Better." //// Truth is: at best, we are making negligible personal recommendations that will make it less worse with no change in the outcome. Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable

Lances Evidence for this? "We don't know..............." //// Quite a statement for self proclaimed data driven science ? man. Ignorance and anecdotes and mischaracterized non-linkable paid for articles? PUUUUUUUUUULEASE: Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable

Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable: How many DEAD from AGW by 2100? Shirley you have more than "We don't know, but we will adapt?"

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 am

The green facts reference is kinda one eyed in that it reports only doom and gloom and no IPCC report is ever totally doom and gloom. Greenfacts is very much like a Bobbo report. The obvious immediate error is their statement that this will lead to widespread malnutrition. Wrong. The entire trend of the past 200 years is to less and less malnutrition, and this is technology driven. The next few decades will give humanity even better technology to increase food supply.

I have noticed before that scientists often fall off the wagon of accuracy when they pontificate about something outside their area of competence. No climate scientist should wax lyrical about agriculture. The same applies to those who predict more disease. No climate Scientist should wax lyrical about epidemiology. It is not their field and they fall into error.

There was also a comment about more dry areas. While this is correct, it is also misleading. Global warming will lead to more rain world wide on average, and that means overall more wet areas. Many of those wet areas are currently arid, and this extra rain will increase the total area that is liveable.

This is, of course, typical of Bobbo references, which are cherry picked to be full of doom and gloom.

The earlier references I was suggesting you failed to read were landrews, which require no subscription. But no Bobbo comment which means you did not bother reading them. If you did, you would have an embarrassing set of facts to reply to.

When I say we do not know, I am being honest. That honesty is vital if anything of scientific value is to be discussed. Anyone who claims to know it all is a fool.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 am
The green facts reference is kinda one eyed in that it reports only doom and gloom ....
Copy and paste what you find to be "only doom and gloom." IE: an inarticulate characterization of a prediction you don't like? This is: Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable. Simply Lance clinging to your denial obfuscation.

You won't respond with anything but another generality.................................===> Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable

YOU HAVE AGREED to a 4C temp rise. What in the Green Facts do you find to be in error, aka: why do you accept millions of death as scientific progress?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:14 am

Millions of deaths is a fantasy. A Bobbo fantasy satisfying the pessimist within.

You continue to discount human innovation and adaptability. Humans are the most adaptable mammals, who live everywhere from Arctic rigidity to desert heat. We also have and use sophisticated technology. Adaptability is not going to go away because of an increase in temperature, and technology is just getting even better.

Nor is there going to be vast numbers of poor who have no access to that technology. The majority of humanity now owns cell phones, estimated to exceed five billion in 2019. Give another few decades, before global warming can impact more than a little, the vast majority of people will have electricity, computers, internet and much more.

Megadeaths are a sick fantasy.
Last edited by Lance Kennedy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 am

Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable

1. How many deaths?===FIVE TIMES ASKED. Nothing but bloviating in response.

2. What data point is in error in the Green Facts Link?===TWICE ASKED. Nothing but bloviating in response.

Say Lance: get on the score board with something other than Silly Thoughtless Formulations: Unforgivable