Geologic evidence is the forerunner of ominous prospects for a warming Earth

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Slightly warmer temperatures and moderate CO2 concentrations over a hundred thousand years ago led to dramatic superstorms and sea-level rise in the western Atlantic Ocean

Date: October 12, 2017

Source: Elsevier

Summary: While strong seasonal hurricanes have devastated many of the Caribbean and Bahamian islands this year, geologic studies on several of these islands illustrate that more extreme conditions existed in the past. A new analysis shows that the limestone islands of the Bahamas and Bermuda experienced climate changes that were even more extreme than historical events.
While strong seasonal hurricanes have devastated many of the Caribbean and Bahamian islands this year, geologic studies on several of these islands illustrate that more extreme conditions existed in the past. A new analysis published in Marine Geology shows that the limestone islands of the Bahamas and Bermuda experienced climate changes that were even more extreme than historical events. In the interest of our future world, scientists must seek to understand the complexities of linked natural events and field observations that are revealed in the geologic record of past warmer climates.

In Bermuda and the Bahamas, the geology of the last interglacial (LIG; approximately 120,000 years ago) is exquisitely preserved in nearly pure carbonate sedimentary rocks. A record of superstorms and changing sea levels is exposed in subtidal, beach, storm, and dune deposits on multiple islands. Extensive studies by the authors over the past decades on these islands have documented stratigraphic, sedimentologic, and geomorphic evidence of major oceanic and climatic disruptions at the close of the last interglacial.

Dr. Paul J. Hearty, a retired Associate Professor at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, and Dr. Blair. R. Tormey, a Coastal Research Scientist at Western Carolina University conducted an invited review of published findings. It demonstrates that during a global climate transition in the late last interglacial, also known as marine isotope substage 5e (MIS 5e), abrupt multi-meter sea-level changes occurred. Concurrently, coastlines of the Bahamas and Bermuda were impacted by massive storms generated in the North Atlantic Ocean, resulting in a unique trilogy of wave-transported deposits: megaboulders, chevron-shaped, storm-beach ridges, and runup deposits on high dune ridges.

While perhaps more mundane than the megaboulders (found only locally on Eleuthera), the sedimentological structures found within chevron ridge and runup deposits across islands throughout the Bahamas and Bermuda point to frequent and repeated inundation by powerful storm waves, in some locations leaving storm deposits tens of meters above sea level.

During the last interglacial, sea levels were about 3-9 meters higher than they are now. The geologic evidence indicates that the higher sea-levels were accompanied by intense "superstorms," which deposited giant wave-transported boulders at the top of cliffed coastlines, formed chevron-shaped, storm beach ridges in lowland areas, and left wave runup deposits on older dunes more than 30 meters above sea level. These events occurred at a time of only slightly warmer global climate and CO2 (about 275 ppm) was much lower than today.
Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: Geologic evidence is the forerunner of ominous prospects for a warming Earth

Post by JO 753 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 pm

I find the wave transported boulder claim to be hard to believ.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Re: Geologic evidence is the forerunner of ominous prospects for a warming Earth

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 pm

JO 753 wrote:I find the wave transported boulder claim to be hard to believ.
Why? I've see the seas do crazy {!#%@} many times. Jules Verne had some choice things to say about that.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:50 pm

It seemz to me that rocks beyond a sertain size woud sink in the sand wen anything tried to move them. But wudooino?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 pm

JO 753 wrote:It seemz to me that rocks beyond a sertain size woud sink in the sand wen anything tried to move them. But wudooino?
Get it moving, say on a rocky beach, and the waves will help it along. Too many variables to call any one event without witnesses.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:52 am

Glacierz did it.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 am

JO 753 wrote:Glacierz did it.
And just when did Norway ever have glaciers? :lol:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:03 am

I dont no.

If never, then alienz with antigravity.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 am

JO 753 wrote:I dont no.

If never, then alienz with antigravity.
Norway's glaciers went down to the Alps at one point.