The Greening of the World

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

The Greening of the World

Post by Jim Steele » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 am

The debate???

I posted the graph below of global greening as evidence of CO2 benefits.

Bobbo protested stating
plants may grown more green....more leaves and bulk and what not BUT THE FOOD CROPS HUMANS RELY ON ARE THEREBY NEGATIVELY AFFECTED.... because the growth goes to the green and diminishes the productivity of the food grain

I argue Bobbo could not be more wrong. More green means more energy is stored and thus enables more productivity of fruits and seeds. Although it is true plants will delay seed set in order to store more energy, that extra energy still results in more food at a later date. Again greening does not mean food grains have diminished.

“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: The Greening of the World

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 am

Its easy to google, lets time it: starting with (co2 plant growth food productivity) and see what we get?

6:51====>First relevant hit: Climate myths: Higher CO2 levels will boost plant growth and food production

then: "Scholarly articles for co2 plant growth food productivity
Potential impact of climate change on world food … - ‎Rosenzweig - Cited by 1869
Food for thought: lower-than-expected crop yield … - ‎Long - Cited by 1095
Food security: the challenge of feeding 9 billion people - ‎Godfray - Cited by 3400

Its: "multi-factorial.".................................. so.................. pick your cherries.

6:54==not interested in reading it all again...but last read was years ago.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nobrot
Poster

Post by Nobrot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm

What's that bit blue bit in Western Australia? It doesn't seem to correlate with other maps.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:45 am

It would be informative to research that point...... but JS never provides links. He likes keeping the details a secret.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Nobrot wrote:What's that bit blue bit in Western Australia? It doesn't seem to correlate with other maps.
It's the red desert. It's red because of the iron oxide in the soil, which is why many of our iron mines are in this region. The salt tables are just below the surface and I'm not sure how rising sea levels will "green" this area by salting the land.
kalgoorlie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 pm

So the red blue bit is not gonna be green but white... :scratch:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:So the red blue bit is not gonna be green but white... :scratch:
It's also totally flat for areas the size of the entire UK, and floods everywhere when it rains. The soil is terrible.

Nobrot
Poster

Post by Nobrot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:12 am

I did say git instead of big didn't I? :oops: It's sooo hard for a writer to poof read his own work.
'It was a dark and stormy night, and the red fungus from the blue desert (which is not always blues but occasionally has that certain hue) ...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 am

Nobrot wrote:I did say gbit instead of big didn't I? :oops: It's sooo hard for a writer to poof read his own work...
:-P
Lard, save me from your followers.