Totally Awsome: Google Calculates Solar Panels for YOU

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Totally Awsome: Google Calculates Solar Panels for YOU

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am

https://www.google.com/get/sunroof#p=0

Totally Awesome. Google confirmed what I already knew: my house cannot use solar panels...too much SHADE on my roof. Not my state, county, zip code or neighborhood.......BUT MY ROOF.

The Information Age............pretty soon, we won't even have to think. ((I just spent a few days doing my own ROI on "typical" roof installations....pretending I had the sun. My break even was about 30 years. I think there is a lot of advertising hype pushing solar that is costed out based on rebates. But I too have faith as the panels are coming down in price. Course...any kind of carbon tax would make them all immediately cost affordable.))

Bill Gates could use the Google and offer to install Solar Systems for flat fees/limited time to folks who can't afford it. Make money, reduce carbon. Win/Win all around. Won't happen....he's busy overpopulating the world.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Re: Totally Awsome: Google Calculates Solar Panels for YOU

Post by Paul Anthony » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:https://www.google.com/get/sunroof#p=0

The Information Age............pretty soon, we won't even have to think.
That's good, 'cause most people are ahead of the times. They already don't think. ;)
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 am

It refuses to think for me...
Aw, snap! It looks like we haven’t reached your country yet, but we’re working on it!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 pm

They have the maps and the app....I don't know what stops such services from being world wide from the get go. Must be different mapping systems? ....... or ........ Japan is farther North and the solar calculator doesn't have that data?

Anyway....I do live on the edge of a city park so trees come right to my property line. Of the 6 house on my side of the street...only one qualifies for solar panels........the other side of the street is 100% set to go.

TJ==there is probably a solar evaluation of your "zip code" or smaller area that should be informative.... then you just just use common sense and evaluate your own roofs exposure. Years ago I actually made "Shadow Maps" of how much and where my roof was in shade. Typical upside down "v" shape roof with the South side in total shade with the North sloping away side mostly in Sun. Just doesn't work. Skylight would though if it weren't a net energy loser....still thinking of solar tubes. Probably need to install 2-3 of them JUST SO I stop thinking about it. Thats about why I buy anything these days.

EDIT: TJ==I do assume you know all that. I apologize. I was/am sleepy. AND the whole point of the link/subject/post is that YOUR individual house is evaluated. Still would be "fun" to know why the app is not world wide. Next Up: evaluation as to what areas are conducive to "Earth Ships." Should as a base include the soil for clay/sand content. Extra Credit for number of waste car tires available...and a Home Run if Red Flags are placed in areas where the Building Codes do not allow.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:14 pm

My guess as to why the service isn`t offered in Japan - would be that it is regulated, requiring Japan industry approved components (read made by Japan industry), and thus an estimate isn`t calculable since this service hasn`t yet been successful in putting together an approved solution.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Its funny TJ--I have no basis at all for this "feeling" but I feel that Japan is mostly "rural" with people doing whatever they want to do. That is a hold over from 50 years ago when we lived in a house and a neighborhood that was more like a Rio Slum of self built housing out of garbage from the land fill....except neat and clean.

but from you, I'm getting the notion that everything is like downtown Tokyo? Highly if not "over regulated?" /// Pros and Cons to all we do. Lots of regulations being legal speed bumps to innovation and compettion.

THE BALANCE: I think people should be allowed to do "WHATEVER THEY WANT TO DO"....unless it is dangerous to the community. But I believe in standards too. What to do?====> I think the Property Reports should first look say whether or not the property meets All Building Codes or not. But people should be allowed to build what they want, how they want....so the property report just should say solar system does not use approved parts, or window space in Kitchen is below standards, or my favorite one from Japan: Cieling height throughout house is less than 8 feet. I still laugh at Dad hitting his head at each doorway.

but.....regulators don't like freedom. Sad. "The Cost" of archetectural approved blueprints "in the hope of getting a zoning variance" has snafu'd my plans for improving every house I have ever owned. G-Damn Society. What is it good for?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 am

Our regulations are mostly self imposed - by each industry. Hence, they tend toward protectionism and restricting a homeowner from modifications. Probably mostly good, since most people couldn`t safely install an electrical outlet, or a water line, or a gas line. If you are building a shed - not for human habitation, then mostly it is all OK - do what you want.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Post by Paul Anthony » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:08 am

Memories...

Years ago in the great state of Californication, I took out a building permit for an addition. The permit fee was very reasonable. In fact, I thought it was cheap considering all the trips they would have to make to inspect the foundation, then the framing, then the roof, then the electrical (there was no plumbing involved, or that would have been another visit) and a final sign-off.

Each phase passed with no problems until the final one. That's when they said the addition was too close to the garage and I would have to tear it down...or...get a variance. The fee for the variance was 18 times as much as the original building permit. But less than the cost of hiring a lawyer and suing the bastards. :lol:
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:33 am

Paul: The system is rigged.....I tells ya. Too many horror stories here...costing way too much $$ and way too much "sanity." I really hate building codes. They should be "advisory" and not "mandatory" for all but what would burn down the neighborhood. Water flooding and lack of light and no head room and fire traps should be okay.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:07 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Paul: The system is rigged.....I tells ya. Too many horror stories here...costing way too much $$ and way too much "sanity." I really hate building codes. They should be "advisory" and not "mandatory" for all but what would burn down the neighborhood. Water flooding and lack of light and no head room and fire traps should be okay.
For your personal tent, or cardboard boxes suspended from tree limbs, I do agree. But for a house that may eventually be sold to a next resident, no way!

I have seen shoddy construction, having inspected houses for an asset management firm, and from a safety standpoint I could see why the seller/prior resident moved out. Unsafe at any speed! And these were where reasonably strong codes existed. Unfortunately, here the inspectors only show up after completion, so much could be hidden.

When I had a contractor add an addition, I was on site every week and didn`t permit `closing` over any aspect until I had inspected. Even though they knew this would be the case, they still had to remove and replace a foundation wall and the electrical wiring, since they used too small a wire gage. Luckily I had put that specification in writing. They would have saved maybe $100, but their mistake actually cost them (really me, since it was still passed on) $300 or so. But at least I do not need to worry about electrical fires from wire overload.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Post by Jim Steele » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:30 am

TJrandom wrote:coral
So when do you discuss coral?
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:02 am

TJ: yes way. Let the market decide. OF COURSE: safety issues should be regulated and enforced....but not the amount of window footage in the kitchen. Thats an aesthetic.

I see JS is chomping at the bit to argue that sea coral suffering massive die off resulting in species changing their distribution/numbers in the ocean is proof that AGW should be of no concern to humans. I'd ignore him too.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:24 am

JIm Steele wrote:
TJrandom wrote:coral
So when do you discuss coral?
When I get enough time to sit down and read. I am still remodelling two homes while trying to keep abreast of seasonal demands - honeybees, yard work, etc. Maybe October-ish.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:08 pm

Just came across reference that there is a 30% Federal Tax Credit for installing solar pv. Should make all the ROI calculations much more favorable.

Runs out at end of 2016. Gosh...I am tempted...just in principle!

http://solaroutreach.org/wp-content/upl ... _Final.pdf