Wanna bet?

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Wanna bet?

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:38 pm

re JS: yep.

So Lausten: you think there is some sweet spot of magic where the Earth will heat up but somehow nothing bad will come from it? Thats actually more F'ed than JS's nonsense.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:re JS: yep.

So Lausten: you think there is some sweet spot of magic where the Earth will heat up but somehow nothing bad will come from it? Thats actually more F'ed than JS's nonsense.
No. Never said that. Never thought that. Don't know why you asked. Don't care.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am

Lausten wrote:No. Never said that. Never thought that. Don't know why you asked. Don't care.
Lausten not able to follow his own argument: "Not very many people think "we are all gonna die". /// Its the very import of the issue.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:58 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Lausten wrote:No. Never said that. Never thought that. Don't know why you asked. Don't care.
Lausten not able to follow his own argument: "Not very many people think "we are all gonna die". /// Its the very import of the issue.
Which shows that you think science is a popularity contest. I said "people", not "scientific consensus". You claimed to know what I was thinking. You had that wrong. You post again and show how poorly you are following my "argument".
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
re JS: yep.

People have confused what "global warming" means since the term was coined. Jim is a perfect example, so are you. I'm not your science teacher, and if I was, I would have expelled both of you for disrupting class a long time ago.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Lausten..... you certainly HATE to admit error.

What is the point of global warming? Is it discomfort and adaptation, or very realistically could we all die? Is one more or less important than the other?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:59 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Lausten..... you certainly HATE to admit error.

What is the point of global warming? Is it discomfort and adaptation, or very realistically could we all die? Is one more or less important than the other?
Bobbo, you certainly HATE to admit that you don't make any sense. What does it mean for global warming to have a point? How can a descriptive term have a point? Of course we are all going to die. There are still plenty of nuclear weapons around for that and plenty of other weapons for killing. We could still have blights and droughts that we can't deal with. We have only successfully managed those problems for about 50 years, hardly long enough to say man has tamed nature.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Lausten: if you agree we are all going to die, why do you post the way you do?

If you disagree we are all going to die, why do you post the way you do?

Know what I mean?

And if you know what I mean, why do you post the way you do?

And if you don't know what I mean, why do you post the way you do?

Know what I mean?

................................ We think with words, and flower with ideas......... or post Like Lausten.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: And if you know what I mean, why do you post the way you do?
I want to know as many true things as possible and eliminate as many false things as possible. And I want that for others too, so when I see falsehoods, I comment.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:43 pm

You comment in a way that no one can tell what your position is. When asked for clarification, your default, most common reaction is to say what you are not saying. Or in my case, I figure because of "me", you say you don't have the time or interest in explaining.

Its a bit "false" in its own way.

Be direct, be honest, recognize and admit when you have something wrong.

Try it.

The whole point of global warming is INDEED: that we are all going to die. If "current trends" continue. If you don't understand THAT, then you don't understand the VERY IMPORT of AGW, even as you may well congratulate yourself for having many of the key points. Its the whole, not the points.

I had the points myself for several years before I fully comprehended what the scientists are saying in their own opaque way.

Just look.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:26 pm

I comment very differently to you than I do to others, because of you're very strange way of commenting. For instance, the way you just accused me of doing things you do. Then giving me advice to stop doing that.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:13 am

Be direct. We'll work on the other subtleties later as you gain strength.

Halsu
Frequent Poster

Post by Halsu » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:13 pm

JIm Steele wrote:If needed, I will adjusts the amount to include the fees.
Hi, sorry with the delay with my reply.

Isn't there any electronic method of payment you would accept? Checks really are a quite very silly way to go, in my opinion. I'm also OK with giving the money to charity, instead of getting it personally - maybe you could accept that route?
How about a bet, SweetPea?
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p359571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ***** Bet version 2: http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p378255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...if interested, read both versions!!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:22 pm

How about just burning the money while on Skype?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:52 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Be direct. We'll work on the other subtleties later as you gain strength.
When I'm direct, you deflect.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:12 pm

What is the point of global warming? Is it discomfort and adaptation, or unless drastic changes that don't look problable are taken, isn't "at the least" there going to be a great die off of humanity?

Your best direct conclusions are.........................?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:34 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:What is the point of global warming? Is it discomfort and adaptation, or unless drastic changes that don't look problable are taken, isn't "at the least" there going to be a great die off of humanity?

Your best direct conclusions are.........................?
If I ignore your use of the words "point of" as well as your two choices, there is a possibility of an answer here.

The point of studying the affect of human actions on the climate is to determine what our future actions should be. If you want to know what those affects are, I suggest going to the IPCC.

Generally, there are a few possible ways we could be responsible for a great die off. Or, we could be responsible for a steady decline in population, one where people die of natural causes in their beds, surrounded by people they love. It's all about choices.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Ha, ha..... as I suspected: you don't understand the import of AGW. I'll put you down for: "Needs a baseball bat."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:30 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Ha, ha..... as I suspected: you don't understand the import of AGW. I'll put you down for: "Needs a baseball bat."
How is "studying the affect of human actions on the climate to determine what our future actions should be" not important?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 pm

It is important..... thats the whole point. The IPCC says just what I do: if we don't do something drastic right about now the lag time in climate change is going to destroy our society. Without society..... we are all gonna die defined as a 95% die off of hoomans on this planet===>AND THAT IS THE BEST CASE.

If you don't agree, you don't understand what all those hockeystick charts mean. Which is just how you post.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 am

When did I indicate I don't agree? I don't remember ever reading that the IPCC said we will have a 95% die off or that society will be destroyed. They just show maps and say, "here's New York. Here's New York underwater". And let us figure it out.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:18 pm

Lausten wrote:Not very many people think "we are all gonna die". What has happened, over the past thousand years, is we have developed based on the idea that the world is stable, that rivers don't change course, that shorelines hold up, that oceans will stay exactly where they are. That is turning out to be a very costly error in judgment. The longer we wait to correct for it, the more costly it gets.
......and I asked you for clarification and you declined to respond, and then responded as you do. NOT clearly and directly.

Contextually, when you say "Not very many people think "we are all gonna die" that usually represents the speakers own attitudes unless clearly shown otherwise. YOU DON'T DO THAT: "The longer we wait to correct for it, the more costly it gets" reveals a failure to understand what the most likely result of AGW is: the end of human society. NOT A CORRECTION.

So yeah====>look at those IPCC graphs and conclude with your best ideas. Its maybe right now a 50/50 bet we can correct for what has built up already. SOCIETY IS FRAGILE...and human society is based on that. Best case scenario is a total collapse, and a rebuild from the ashes. A concept wholly outside the notion of "cost."

You get a lot of the issue, enough to mock JS, but not enough to fully come to grips with the subject. Could I be wrong?===>less and less so with each passing month....each new coal plant that comes on line.

We are screwed-----and way to passive about it. Like you.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:24 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: ......and I asked you for clarification and you declined to respond, and then responded as you do. NOT clearly and directly.
We have plenty of history of me attempting to clarify with you, and you respond as if you have had a few too many drinks. So, again, you're right, I don't bother attempting to have a real conversation with you.

Now, with Jim "in the room", I'm not about to use "alarmist" language. He would re-post it a million times, refuse to listen to any clarifications or corrections. He's a lot like you now that I think about it. The way to deal with an anti-alarmist is to not be an alarmist. The way to mediate ANY contentious issue is to gather data and work together to understand it. That's all's I'm sayin'

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Yes Lausten......all's I'm sayin' is you don't understand the issue. Parts of it, not the IMPORT. And if you actually do, you don't post like it, thinking AGW can be corrected for instead of it being an alarmist existential reality. You support reality...... right? Hold on to the old disagreements as if each day weren't a fresh start.

Know what I mean? ((( ha, ha.)))

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:07 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Yes Lausten......all's I'm sayin' is you don't understand the issue. Parts of it, not the IMPORT. And if you actually do, you don't post like it, thinking AGW can be corrected for instead of it being an alarmist existential reality. You support reality...... right? Hold on to the old disagreements as if each day weren't a fresh start.

Know what I mean? ((( ha, ha.)))
What is your evidence for my not understanding the issue? You seem to agree with the IPCC, and so do I, so we agree, but somehow I don't understand it. Do you want me to do a report on what the IPCC says, like I'm some sort of 5th grader in social studies class?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:02 pm

My complaint is clearly set before you, several times. I'll go one last time using slightly different words:

AGW is going to cause the collapse of human society some years hence unless we immediately and severely cut back and even remove co2 from the atmosphere. It will NOT as you say create conditions that will be costly to correct.

Agree or disagree?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:My complaint is clearly set before you, several times. I'll go one last time using slightly different words:

AGW is going to cause the collapse of human society some years hence unless we immediately and severely cut back and even remove co2 from the atmosphere. It will NOT as you say create conditions that will be costly to correct.

Agree or disagree?
Why would I make such a prediction one way or the other? It's going to be costly or society is going to collapse in "some years". If either of those are true, I'd make about the same actions. Maybe I haven't been clear with my question. The question is, what is your problem?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:57 am

Whoosh.........................

Halsu
Frequent Poster

Post by Halsu » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 am

Halsu wrote:Meanwhile back in the jungle:

Back in the jungle update:

Still well on our way to a record year.
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p359571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ***** Bet version 2: http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p378255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Halsu
Frequent Poster

Post by Halsu » Sun May 15, 2016 10:31 am

Still back in the jungle: continuing our way to a record year...

Halsu
Frequent Poster

Post by Halsu » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:16 am

May. Still up there, though just like in 1998, the rest of the year will probably be decline from the El Nino peak.

robinson
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Sometimes 0 is real cool hand

Post by robinson » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:39 am

"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"
-- Oscar Wilde

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Obviously, blocking sunlight is not "simple." The "solution" is hard in that it requires a CHANGE in how we have come to rely on fossil fuels. 75% of KNOWN fossil fuels HAVE TO STAY IN THE GROUND. Yes....that is going to affect the stock market.

Hence..... we are all going to die.

Captured by the Already Too Rich .................. who can't emote past their money.

sucks to be hooman................we coulda been great.

robinson
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Sometimes 0 is real cool hand

Post by robinson » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:00 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Obviously, blocking sunlight is not "simple."
Of course it is. It's easy and cheap to do.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"
-- Oscar Wilde

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Are you mostly dishonest....... or lazy?

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Well Halsu, looks like you will be paying up on your bet. I thought you were a tad premature in your comments. But dont feel bad. Even Dr. Roy Spencer prematurely thought the slow drop in global temperature through April and May could make 2016 the warmest on record.

But oh what a difference a month makes. Satellite data for June now shows a big temperature drop. Second largest 2-month drop in global average satellite temperatures and the largest 2-month drop in tropical average satellite temperatures.

Dr. Spencer now calculates,
"Basically, as long as the anomalies stay below the June value of 0.34 deg. C, 2016 won’t be a record warm year."
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2016/07/uah ... -34-deg-c/

And if the El Nino to La Nna transition histories repeat themselves, temperatures should continue to drop. 2016 may not even make the top 4 warmest. :mrgreen: Furthermore tropical waters are heated by the sun and per the IPCC the tropics are least sensitive to CO2. Solar activity has dropped and there have been no sunspots for 8 days. Hmmmm, does the new solar minimums suggest a new Little Ice Age cometh?

Any body else wanna bet???

Bobbo wanna bet what year we are all gonna die?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROTFLMAO
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:10 am

The Alarmists are getting uppity and despondent at the same time. Michael Mann now on the tube variously stating that complex formulae and charts are no longer needed to support AGW. All we have to do now is........................look.

Record after record of this and that being broken.

So....I wonder.........what do you think JS: if there are three 1000 year events in X period of time: good indicator climate is changing.

Any opinion? iow: solve for X or is it irrelevant????

Same with heat records and so forth......how many months in a row of record breaking temps indicates climate may be changine? ...and no fair saying there is no such thing as an average. ((But I joke for myself!))

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Post by Jim Steele » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:58 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Michael Mann now on the tube variously stating that complex formulae and charts are no longer needed to support AGW. All we have to do now is........................look.

what do you think JS: if there are three 1000 year events in X period of time: good indicator climate is changing.)
I look and see "largest 2-month drop in tropical average satellite temperatures"

By looking we all gonna die due to global cooling!

Other than that I dont see any 1000 yera events to worry about! And BTW bobbo climate has always been changing with or without CO2
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Post by Jim Steele » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Halsu wrote:I'm also OK with giving the money to charity, instead of getting it personally - maybe you could accept that route?
Send me a check and I will donate it to my favorite habitat restoration organization.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:14 am

Non responsive. Evasive. As always.