Slightly off-topic but important: amazon deleted 15 years worth of my reviews

Discussions
Aaron Richards
Poster

Slightly off-topic but important: amazon deleted 15 years worth of my reviews

Post by Aaron Richards » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Today has been a particularly shitty day for me. A sullen reminder that all the time and energy you decide to spend in the virtual world can be rendered null and void at the hands of a power-crazed administrator.

I have been active on amazon for the past 15 or so years of my life. Buying products, reviewing them, getting likes (and dislikes, before they decided to remove that system and just change it into "helpful votes") and the occasional comment chain if my review was a controversial one about an already controversial product.

I bought all kinds of products from amazon. Due to my interest in history, in recent years this also included books about history and anti-revisionism.

Back in 2015, 2016, 2017 when I was heavily dabbling in anti-revisionism, we used to have interesting discussions in the reviews of revisionist books on amazon.

Then, some time in either late 2017 or early 2018, amazon decided to remove ALL revisionist books from their store (the fallout on codoh could be heard till here).

However, certain books remain on amazon to this day. The ones that do not engage in HD, but in whitewashing Germany having started both world wars, for example.

Or ones that excessively exaggerate Communist atrocities in order to bring them on the same level, or make them worse than what happened during the holocaust.

So, naturally, I engaged in writing reviews that attacked HDers, or commented on reviews which praised revisionist books (back in 2015, 2016, 2017 etc.) thereby attacking them (without ad hominems, mind you, I know what community guidelines are) and we in fact had lots of funny comment wars where they'd write back, challenging one aspect of history and me and others would respond, attacking their argumentative flaws etc.

Then I noticed a change...some time last year, amazon decided to purge comment chains. Most reviews (even the controversial ones) no longer had them.

Then I realized posting a comment on a review wouldn't even make it show up.

In general, I can say in the last 2 or so years, the quality of comments on amazon has gone down significantly. Back in the day, amazon actually required you to write a minimum amount of characters for your review to be published, therefore eliminating one-sentence reviews.

Today, one-sentence reviews dominate the product's review section. Stuff like:

"received product very good, thanks"

or

"fast shipping, item as described"

The kind of feedback you would leaver in the seller's feedback section has spilled over into the comment section, and the number of long reviews has been dwindling like crazy. I did not know why until this mail hit me today:
Hello,

We found your posts to be in violation of our guidelines and have removed them.

For more information, see our Community Guidelines:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review-guidelines

Because of the violation of our Community guidelines, we've removed all posting privileges from your account.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.
First i thought it was a joke, and I reviewed another product as usual just to see if my review will pass. And, strangely enough, it did:
Your latest customer review is live on Amazon. We and millions of shoppers on Amazon appreciate the time you took to share your experience with this item.
However when I went to the reviews section of my profile, it was blank. All reviews deleted, everything gone.

What must have triggered my ban was a recent book I had left a 1-star review on, titled "Drawings from the Gulag" available on amazon.co.uk, after the thread we had about it here. I listed reasons how Danzig Baldaev was an unreliable witness, and how antisemites on the net abuse the drawings to create a false equivalency to, or even surpass in terms of atrocities, David Olere sketches.

I guess my mistake was "editing" the review a few times to get rid of spelling mistakes, which probably must have made the edit visible to one administrator after another to be approved, and then it landed on the desk of the "right" one who freaked out and banned me.

The sad part is that this ban also affects my account on all other language sites/versions of amazon.

I've written to them, and might even give them a call to have a proper discussion, but I have always been very skeptical regarding appeal processes, so I dont have any hopes left for that.

The bottom line is: In this crazy politically correct world we live in today, where things have gotten so bad compared to even recent years like 15 or 16, anybody will get caught in the crossfire and the few voices that would have actually helped stem the tide of antisemitism and revisionism with debate and discourse are also silenced this way.

I am already mentally preparing for when all my youtube accounts will get terminated because I do anti-denier videos on one of them.

I have made a full backup of my imgur blog in case they turn the lights out there.

What is even the point of being active online if years worth of contribution can be wiped out by one control-freak within a minute?

Might as well invest the same energy out in the real world and via more traditional means like actually getting a physical book published.

So yea, it was "just" my reviews, of which I had already backed up a good third or so during the early years, but that still means I lost many movie and book reviews from the recent years except for the EXCERPTS that are saved in the confirmation email you get back when you publish one, which are usually only the first 3 or so sentences.

It's just ridiculous. I understand BANNING someone's ability to create further reviews, or even deleting one or two reviews of the person which you deemed to have violated the politicall correctness of your community guidelines. But retroactively wiping a person's 15 year review history on ALL amazon sites is absolutely mental.

But these are the people in power today: the ones who have administrator privileges but do not understand the responsibility that comes with it.

I hope one day (soon), laws are put in place that make Internet censorship that involves deleting content without prior notification of the content creator just as much of an offense as vandalism or the destruction of private property. I know I left these reviews on "someone else's site", rather than my own, so I know I gave up some of my ownership rights by playing on someone else's playground, if that's a fitting allegory, but it's still an injustice.

I am done ranting.

So at the end of the day, why did I make this thread, what is its purpose? Well, amazon is a website I am sure many in this forum also use. And perhaps one thing we all have in common is that we love to write. Else we wouldnt spend so much time creating posts on an electronic message board :D

So my logic tells me some of you also have reviewed products on amazon. And I suggest you make backups of your reviews, and be very careful when writing reviews on "history" books and other controversial products on amazon as it is easy to trigger an admin and suffer the same fate.
Pls subscribe to my YouTube channel "Holocaust Documents": www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBlSXrf0b0aeUn5jIhWm7g
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: imgur.com/a/725A7
and here: imgur.com/a/wo09c

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Re: Slightly off-topic but important: amazon deleted 15 years worth of my reviews

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:56 pm

I think iwh had this happen to him, Aaron. Sorry. I guess this “community standards” thing bites both ways. Happens on YouTube...
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Slightly off-topic but important: amazon deleted 15 years worth of my reviews

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:24 pm

ouch, that sucks . . . to commiserate a little, the hosting company pulled the plug on Rodoh 1.0 one day without any warning - and never gave any explanation . . . I was able to get a download of just my posts (in a chaotic sequence) but a lot of material was lost irretrievably . . .

related: "THE TRAUMA FLOOR: The secret lives of Facebook moderators in America"

this is another aspect, along with flame wars, election hacking, deep fakes, and QAnon, of the wonderful world brought to us by the disruptive geniuses behind the digital platforms and other technology . . .
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Lard, save me from your followers.

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am

Sorry Aaron.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: do not go - into that -

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:27 am

wonder if jeff jorgensons nationality has anything to do with that policy change.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 am

They'd give it a 9 and you can dance to it: moving up the Amazon charts with a bullet, QAnon: An Invitation to the Great Awakening,
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 am
They'd give it a 9 and you can dance to it: moving up the Amazon charts with a bullet, QAnon: An Invitation to the Great Awakening,
Gord damn it. :jaded:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Ian Hazard
BANNED

Post by Ian Hazard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 am

Aaron Richards wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:30 pm
Today has been a particularly shitty day for me. A sullen reminder that all the time and energy you decide to spend in the virtual world can be rendered null and void at the hands of a power-crazed administrator.

I have been active on amazon for the past 15 or so years of my life. Buying products, reviewing them, getting likes (and dislikes, before they decided to remove that system and just change it into "helpful votes") and the occasional comment chain if my review was a controversial one about an already controversial product.

I bought all kinds of products from amazon. Due to my interest in history, in recent years this also included books about history and anti-revisionism.

Back in 2015, 2016, 2017 when I was heavily dabbling in anti-revisionism, we used to have interesting discussions in the reviews of revisionist books on amazon.

Then, some time in either late 2017 or early 2018, amazon decided to remove ALL revisionist books from their store (the fallout on codoh could be heard till here).

Oh the hypocrisy. :lol:

This is hilarious news. It's not nice to be censored by A$$holes is it Aaron?

The view of the majority here when Amazon caved into Holocaust Industry demands and began censoring hundreds of revisionist books was: "Tough $hit revisionists, Amazon is a commercial organization and can sell whatever goods it chooses to."

Tango Sierra Aaron, Amazon is a commercial organization and can remove your prejudiced reviews from its servers anytime it chooses to.

Mary Q Contrary
Frequent Poster

Post by Mary Q Contrary » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 pm

This could be related to the latest round of book burnings from Amazon. Earlier this month, Kevin MacDonald's books were banned from amazon as were "The secret relationship betweens blacks and jews" from the Nation of Islam and "The white nationalist manifesto." I'm ssure there were many others.

If you engaged with Holocaust revisionism in order to refute them in the past, you have broken the rule that one must not respond to Holocaust revisionists lest they be seen as a position worthy of a response. You are now identified as a person who gives revisionism credibility. Clearly, you must now be destroyed.
Thanks from:
Abraham, Jesus, Mohammed, Satan, Tinky Winky

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 pm

Hey, the aliens released Mary!!!!
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544