How Did Jan Karski Make It to Western Europe?

Discussions
Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

How Did Jan Karski Make It to Western Europe?

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:17 am

Being a courier sent from Poland to the West during WW II was not particularly easy and was very dangerous. As a consequence the Polish Underground used various techniques to get their couriers out of Poland and to the West.

The author of “The Terrible Secret” gave an example of one of the ways the Polish Underground used to get people out of Poland. The Underground used this technique to get Jan Karski out.

The Germans employed thousands of French workers in Poland, giving them leave twice a year to return to their homeland. The Polish Underground offered these workers a two-week paid holiday at plush Polish estate in return for the use of their passports. The Underground cut their pictures out and substituted the picture of the courier. If the courier didn’t get back in time the worker paid a fine to get a replacement and the Underground paid it for them.

Karski made it to Paris where he received new papers. The Polish Underground arranged for him to be smuggled into Spain, he then made his way to Gibraltar and then flew to London.

“The Terrible Secret,” page 230
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: How Did Jan Karski Make It to Western Europe?

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:24 am

IIRC there have been thoughts (which I shared) that Karski brought with him documents from Warsaw ghetto that included the Oyneg Shabes materials among which was the so-called "steam" report on Treblinka. But my recollection is that the timing of his trip rules him out. Sitting here this morning, having just woken up and not yet haven a pot of tea, this is all fuzzy. I'll try to remember to look it up.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:12 pm

We did a whole thread on his alleged trip to Belzec which I intend to track down at some point today.

However I am on my way to work for a few hours.... :mad:

I’m also getting caffeine but in my case it’s iced tea. I can’t drink covfefe anymore (at least the way I like it!).

Ah, memories of covfefe.... :lol:
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:55 pm

I found a text-file in a folder on my desktop with this typed in it:
People With Whom Karski Met in London

Members of War Cabinet
Secretary of Foreign Affairs Anthony Eden
Lord Cranborne - Conservatives
Hugh Dalton - Labour
Arthur Greenwood - Labour

Karski reached London in November 1942. He not only informed the Polish government-in-exile and its Premier, General Sikorski, about the genocide in Poland, but also saw personally the following: Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden; leader of the Labour Party Arthur Greenwood; Lord Selbourne; Lord Cranborne; the Chairman of the Board of Trade, Hugh Dalton; Member of the House of Commons, Ellen Wilkinson; British Ambassador to the government-in-exile O'Malley; American Ambassador to the government-in-exile, Anthony Drexel Biddle; and Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Richard Law. Karski also testified regarding the extermination of Jews before the UN War Crimes Commission, chaired by Sir Cecil Hurst. Finally, he gave numerous interviews to the British press and also briefed other members of Parliament and organizations of British writers and intellectuals.

"I reported my experiences to outstanding members of the British and American governments, and to the Jewish leaders of both continents. I told what I had seen in the ghetto to some of the world's greatest writers -- to H.G. Wells, Arthur Koestler, members of the P.E.N. Club -- as they could describe it with greater force and talent than I. I told it to others, too less well-known and to one in particular, who will never be heard from again. [Zygielbojm]"

and Schwarzbart
Another note in a different file says that Karski met Schwarzbart on 2 December.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .