The practice of tattooing children in Auschwitz

Discussions
Aaron Richards
Poster

The practice of tattooing children in Auschwitz

Post by Aaron Richards » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Here's an image taken by the Soviets upon the liberation of Auschwitz, January 27th 1945, although keep in mind that they re-enacted the liberation scene a few days later, possibly into February for a documentary. Anyway, the photo shows children holding out their arms as if to show a tattoo. The oversaturation of their arms prevents the tattoos from being seen, because I highly doubt they were doing this symbolically:

As we know, throughout most of the camp's history, children were part of the demographic deemed unfit for labor and therefore gassed. This was why Elie Wiesel for example lied about his age (his birth date in the Auschwitz records is a few years older than when he was born). Only those registered into the camp as labor force were the ones tattooed.

At the same time, I know Mengele selected children, preferably twins, for experimentation, and there was also a time when Gypsy families were interned in Birkenau (1944?), thus there were some children in the camp at that point.

My question is, when did the practice of tattooing children begin in Auschwitz?

The Himmler order to cease gassing was said (at the Nuremberg Trial as Statement by SS-Standartenführer Kurt Becher, IMT Document PS-3762) to have been given by end of October 1945, so I would assume any children that entered the camp in the final three months of its operation were tattooed, and these were the ones liberated and shown in the photo.

It also makes sense that a child can only survive for about a month or two in that camp without beginning to show signs of malnutrition. Your thoughts?

Holocaust deniers always love using photos of liberated children as proof no children were ever gassed at the camp, hence I made this thread.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel "Holocaust Documents", where I fight back the sea of antisemitism & conspiracy theories that has taken over its comment section: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBlSX ... Un5jIhWm7g
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: https://siraaronrichards.imgur.com

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Re: The practice of tattooing children in Auschwitz

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:25 pm

The Gypsy camp was liquidated August 2-3, 1944.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Aaron, I am at work right now so I don’t have access to my books on this.

From memory (tricky, I know :D), non-Jewish children were admitted into the camp, Poles, Ukrainians (I think), etc. Also Jewish families from Terezin were admitted into the camp and placed into the family camp to keep around for PR purposes. Jewish children were also admitted into the camp towards the end which you mentioned.

When I get home I’ll pull out what I’ve got. Unless someone beats me to it....
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....
Noel, Noel, what the hell.”
Benjamin Ferencz in a letter to Telford Taylor, December 1951

Sergey_Romanov
Regular Poster

Post by Sergey_Romanov » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:57 pm

These children were inmates so they had to be tattooed (at this point in time).

Why these children were there is explained at length here: http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... html#unfit

BornAgainDisciple
Poster

Post by BornAgainDisciple » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:30 am

Aaron Richards wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:34 pm
The Himmler order to cease gassing was said (at the Nuremberg Trial as Statement by SS-Standartenführer Kurt Becher, IMT Document PS-3762) to have been given by end of October 1945, so I would assume any children that entered the camp in the final three months of its operation were tattooed, and these were the ones liberated and shown in the photo.
I think you mean October 1944. ;)
But your assumption seems to be in place. After all there wasn't that much children left when the camp was liberated.
טוב להיות זנב לאריות מאשר ראש לשועלים

Sergey_Romanov
Regular Poster

Post by Sergey_Romanov » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:02 pm

> I would assume any children that entered the camp in the final three months of its operation were tattooed, and these were the ones liberated and shown in the photo.

Those would be some of them, but not all.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Helen Kubica wrote that even newborns who survived birth in the camp were tattooed - generally on thighs or buttocks, sometimes on their arms. This would have been after June 1943, when immediate killing of non-Jewish infants born in the camp was halted.
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"