Discussions
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Populism and Nationalism in Europe Today

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon May 27, 2019 2:09 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:50 am
I rely on you guys, I’m {!#%@} if I can figure out Europe’s political situation.
DW has a nice summary piece: https://www.dw.com/en/eu-election-surge ... a-48883806. Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-e ... SKCN1SV0QQ Grauniad: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... grip-power
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon May 27, 2019 2:44 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon May 27, 2019 11:09 am

tied with the German CDU as the single largest party in the EU parliament will be . . . the Brexit party!

The Tories - I have to remind myself - ran 5th! But the crisis for Corbyn in Labour is as bad as the problems the Tories have made for themselves.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon May 27, 2019 11:24 am

one last note, an ironic situation in Sweden: whilst the "Greta Thunberg effect" had the Greens doing well in many places, and doubling their seats in the EU parliament, not so much in her home country of Sweden, where the 3-seat galn vs 2014 of the conservative-far right bloc (Moderaterna, Christian Democrats, Sweden Democrats) came at the expense of seats lost by other parties - 2 Green seats, 1 Liberal seat, and 1 Feminist Initiative seat. (The pro EUCenter party pickad up one of these seats). The conservative-far right bloc was held back by the underperformance of the Christian Democrats whose anti-abortion stance hurt them in the voting.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 pm

OK for real this time, a last note (for now LOL) on the EU elections: on Italy (green/white/red), France (yellow), and Germany (green) . . . overall, the results (with a lot of quirks, exceptions, and so on, show the traditional parties - e.g., Labour and the Tories in the UK being prime examples (Brexit got fewer votes than Remain, and Labour {!#%@} up not even taking a position on the main issue! - almost collapsing but not the far-right surge anticipated - the far right did OK but, as in Sweden, overall they underperformed expectations (whilst gaining vs 2014) - and the surge was with the Greens

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 pm

Voters took it out, 'issued severe punishment beatings,' as some journo put it, on the Tories and Labour. Nige's party is going to be hilarious, I wish more of the UK had voted, lazy arsed bastards. I dunno why Labour never came out against Brexit, fear that the Brexiteers would chastise them for it but the feeling now after the fact stable door etc is that IF a pact had been formed of all the remainers, Libs, Greens, UK Change, Labour, Brexit could yet be CRUSHED. And damn these labels. Marmalade, Conservative, Jam. Remainer, Peanut Butter, Brexiteer.

We'll see. NIcola had a good night, the argument is why should the Tory Right and these other people in England be allowed to drag Scotland out of the EU - totally ignoring the wishes of those there, their neebors who wish to see that Scotland's place is in Europe in the 21st Century and not just in Olde London Towne. Just because little England has a problem with Europe. The Brexiteers may have possibly handed Scotland its self determination on a plate as Nicola pushes for Indyref2. Not looking so united a Kingdom. Especially with that criminal Trump, who is only interested and respects like any mob boss, one thing., money. I don't wanna be part of America, that isn't subsidiarity. Yet the dense Tory lunaticks are about to sell everything we can to Trump, in return for bad food and no more Europe. Doesn't seem much of a deal.

It doesn't please me really. As I said, its all better together, though I also understand at bedrock from hanging out with the Nats at Edinburgh Uni as a student green horn bastard that a Nation should be allowed a say in its own self determination.

Still pleased that Tommeh slunk out of the hall before the final whistle though.

I was at a party today, no not a political party, band rehearsal. I never mentioned the election once not just because they are a bunch of punks. Reason: because I (we?) can't seem to have a reasonable political discourse in the UK anymore without a confrontation. I'm ducking out of much more political analysis of this now because the situation changes so rapidly and the predictions mine, yours, pundits, voters, polls, politicians themselves are invariably incorrect or just false prophecy. I can't make sense of the numbers either. They may as well be eels in the River Welland. Yes it was an entertaining evening of psephology.

Cheerio.
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue May 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Germany: "There is to this day not a single Synagogue not a single daycare center for Jewish children, not a single school for Jewish children that does not need to be guarded by German policemen," according to Andrea Merkel.

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... school-and

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue May 28, 2019 5:23 pm

In 2014 Sweden's Greens won 15.4% of the EU parliament vote and won 4 seats; this year, just 12.0% and only 2 seats. So why is Green leader Alice Bah Kuhnke so happy with the election result?

I think it has to do with two major developments: first, the Greens have been a junior partner in the Swedish government since 2014 and remain so today - their 11% vote shows not only that their issues and approach have support but that the party is no longer outside - it is part of a governing coalition and a part of Swedish political life; and, second, the results from around Europe, with the Greens doubling their EU seats and doing very well in some countries (second in Germany), shows that the Greens are on the move because, across the continent, large numbers of people are very attracted to policies fighting climate change, protecting the environment, and finding a path to sustainable capitalism.

Meanwhile, back in the USA, Dumbo's administration leads an assault on the environment in the US - and ramps up coal and other ways to damage Earth's climate.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:41 pm

{!#%@}.....
TBH I’m not really surprised. It’s almost like Trump and all those crazed nut bags are trying to warp the environment to the point it doesn’t matter.

I think most of them think they will be dead long before anything truly happens.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu May 30, 2019 2:22 am

One of the common themes of the nativist far right in recent years has been that an increase in rapes and other sex crimes in Sweden has been caused by the country' admission of large numbers of foreigners, many from the Middle East and North Africa, during and after the refugee crisis of 2015. This claim supposedly supports the idea of an Islamic invasion and associates immigration with crime, violence against women, and a threat to national cultures.

For example, British demagogue Nigel Farage said in 2017 that
Sweden has taken in more young male migrants than any other country in Europe and there has been a dramatic rise in sexual crime in Sweden. So much so that Malmo is now the rape capital of Europe, and some argue that perhaps it is the rape capital of the world.
Today Brå, Sweden's agency for crime prevention, released this report, the result of a study of the increase in the number of police-reported sex offenses since 2005.

Jerzy Sarnecki, professor of criminology at Stockholm University, after auditing the Brå report, told the media that "The report shows that the immigration influx has not affected the number of sexual offences." 

Svenska Dagbladet's capsule summary of Brå's findings: "Asylum reception in 2015 does not explain the sharp increase in reported and reported sexual offenses in recent years. Rather, the reason is an increased registration inclination and the internet, writes Brå in a new study."

The Local reports:
The number of reported rapes and other sexual offences has been on the rise in Sweden since 2005 and has seen two distinct spikes: one between 2005 and 2008 and another after 2015. . . .

In an attempt to determine what truly lies behind the rape and sexual assault statistics, the Swedish government last year ordered the country's National Council on Crime Prevention (Brå) to look into why the number of reported rapes in the country has increased. Brå was tasked with finding out whether the increase related to specific types of sexual offences, certain situations, or certain groups of perpetrators.

The results of that study were released on Wednesday . . .

Brå concludes that the initial spike in figures seen after 2005 "is largely explained by the legal definition of rape expanding" in that same year. 

The second major increase in rape and other sexual crime statistics occurs after 2015, which fuels the argument that it is connected to the increase of asylum seekers in Sweden. But Brå concludes that this is not the case. . . .

The report also found that the rise in reported rapes between 2011 and 2017 was linked to incidents that did not involve the use of violence, committed by perpetrators known to the victim – which also make up the majority of sexual crimes. There was no rise in outdoor attacks by strangers in the same time period.

While this reveals very little about the identity or ethnicity of the attackers, it contradicts the theory floated by hard-right media that there are immigrant men wantonly attacking Swedish women. 

The report could also not find a link between those municipalities in Sweden that took in the highest number of asylum seekers and those where the highest number of sexual offences was reported.

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:22 am
One of the common themes of the nativist far right in recent years has been that an increase in rapes and other sex crimes in Sweden has been caused by the country' admission of large numbers of foreigners, many from the Middle East and North Africa, during and after the refugee crisis of 2015. This claim supposedly supports the idea of an Islamic invasion and associates immigration with crime, violence against women, and a threat to national cultures.

For example, British demagogue Nigel Farage said in 2017 that
Sweden has taken in more young male migrants than any other country in Europe and there has been a dramatic rise in sexual crime in Sweden. So much so that Malmo is now the rape capital of Europe, and some argue that perhaps it is the rape capital of the world.
Today Brå, Sweden's agency for crime prevention, released this report, the result of a study of the increase in the number of police-reported sex offenses since 2005.

Jerzy Sarnecki, professor of criminology at Stockholm University, after auditing the Brå report, told the media that "The report shows that the immigration influx has not affected the number of sexual offences." 

Svenska Dagbladet's capsule summary of Brå's findings: "Asylum reception in 2015 does not explain the sharp increase in reported and reported sexual offenses in recent years. Rather, the reason is an increased registration inclination and the internet, writes Brå in a new study."

The Local reports:
The number of reported rapes and other sexual offences has been on the rise in Sweden since 2005 and has seen two distinct spikes: one between 2005 and 2008 and another after 2015. . . .

In an attempt to determine what truly lies behind the rape and sexual assault statistics, the Swedish government last year ordered the country's National Council on Crime Prevention (Brå) to look into why the number of reported rapes in the country has increased. Brå was tasked with finding out whether the increase related to specific types of sexual offences, certain situations, or certain groups of perpetrators.

The results of that study were released on Wednesday . . .

Brå concludes that the initial spike in figures seen after 2005 "is largely explained by the legal definition of rape expanding" in that same year. 

The second major increase in rape and other sexual crime statistics occurs after 2015, which fuels the argument that it is connected to the increase of asylum seekers in Sweden. But Brå concludes that this is not the case. . . .

The report also found that the rise in reported rapes between 2011 and 2017 was linked to incidents that did not involve the use of violence, committed by perpetrators known to the victim – which also make up the majority of sexual crimes. There was no rise in outdoor attacks by strangers in the same time period.

While this reveals very little about the identity or ethnicity of the attackers, it contradicts the theory floated by hard-right media that there are immigrant men wantonly attacking Swedish women. 

The report could also not find a link between those municipalities in Sweden that took in the highest number of asylum seekers and those where the highest number of sexual offences was reported.
"They're rapists, they're murderers".... blah, blah, blah....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 31, 2019 9:17 pm

I can't even! Laughing so hard I forgot to be pissed off about prices at Amazon: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rship-race

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Uselessness, narcissism and self importance writ large amongst every single one of these pygmies of political stature you mean?

Elton John meanwhile says he's a European and not an, 'Imperialist English idiot,' in reference to this Brexit thing. On the other side some Labour high heid yin claimed that those voters who wanted a second referendum were sneering at the intelligence of those Labour voters who didn't. These politico leaders just don't get it, do they?

Two days ago one of my friends had a row with his 81 year old mother over this Brexit thing. If you didn't believe it was divisive in the UK...

Whatever you do, don't mention the Brexit, I did once but I think I got away with it...

/Parodie
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri May 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Darren Wilshak wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 pm
Elton John meanwhile says he's a European and not an, 'Imperialist English idiot,' in reference to this Brexit thing.
When Elton John has it more right than John Cleese, the world is saying, You can't understand me.

I'm having dinner with some Brits next Friday. I am going to ask straightaway, what are you all trying to pull with this Brexit thing, and is it done yet?

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 pm

LOL! Its not over until Labour, Tory and Brexit party are all smashed to pieces on the Brexitberg

AHF

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri May 31, 2019 10:07 pm

John Cleese hath become a curmudgeon I fear. Fishslapping and playing the deranged owner of a Torquay hotel were his best bits plus of course being a member of the Popular Judean people's front of splitters. Jerusalem branch.

AHF

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri May 31, 2019 10:09 pm

It could be worse, you could wake up one and be

A spy
Nigel Farage
one of the sad sacks who wants to lead the Tories.
Working for the DSS.
Add your own.

AHF

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:10 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:24 pm

continuing with the deterioration of the traditional parties of government, look at recent UK poll results:

Were the Pirates Party or the Freak Power party the beneficiary, well, that would be one thing . . . but as it stands, it's another.

I think we can wonder about Corbyn's "new elections" strategy, as well as his fighting yesterday's battles all the time.

But if I lived in the UK, I'd be voting Freak Power. Might try that here in the USA sometime.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... es-opinium

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:36 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:15 am

In Sweden only the Christian Democrats (+6.7%), Greens (+1.2%), and the Left (+0.7%) have increased their share of the electorate since the 2018 election, according to a recent poll.

With the Sweden Democrats just slightly down and the Moderaterna down significantly, the Sweden Democrats now poll as the second largest party. They are pushing for a new right-wing alliance - themselves, Moderaterna, and Christian Democrats, which polls at 46% of the vote. (The current minority governing coalition got about 32%.)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:14 am

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 pm

This took some balls. Bulldozers aren’t exactly quiet.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/anti-semi ... BmPL7iD2AI
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 pm

"Germany: Death threats sent to pro-refugee politicians: As the investigation into the murder of Walter Lübcke intensifies, Cologne's mayor and several other German politicians have had their lives threatened. Police say the threats likely also stem from right-wing extremists."

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:07 pm
Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm
excellent opinion piece from the NY Times on Poland (I have close Polish friends who every time I get together with them say things very similar to what the writer says here): "A Mayor Is Murdered, a Country Hums With Violence: In Poland, hateful language is ubiquitous. Its consequences can be deadly."
Thanks, posted info on his death above. Original reports stated what the killer said and his mental illness.

The article highlights the issue when the state becomes aggressive and intolerant. This filters through and makes it the new normal which is what we are seeing not only in Poland but here.
Guardian piece on Daniel Blatman's position as head of new Warsaw ghetto museum, the Law and Justice party, and historians' concerns about Blatman's role: Holocaust historians divided over Warsaw ghetto museum.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 am

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 pm

thanks again for that link, I re-read the story this morning and was struck by this observation, so symptomatic of the state of western politics and so much what the neo-fascists, assorted alt-rightists and Trumpsters, and professional Islamophobes amongst us depend upon: "After his prison term, domestic intelligence agents had kept tabs on Mr. Ernst but he fell off the radar at a time when many of them were diverted to focus on militant Islamists."