Trump will win!

Discussions
Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 am

Well...there’s still time. Looks like Trump’s gonna get another opportunity to shut the government down.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Harvard Crimson (on why it refused to run an add by Bradley Smith):
“(It is) vicious propaganda based on utter BS that has been discredited time and time again.”

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Post by Jeff_36 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:20 am
Jeff_36 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am
Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 pm
unwatchable:

Nadia Murad is a hero. How dare he disrespect her. If his approval rating doesn't drop on account of this, serious adjustments will be needed in the electoral college.

Hopefully the democrats can use this to depict him as complacent to the worst genocide in recent memory.
How many people here you think even recognize that name?
I mean - she's a Nobel Prize winner.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Trump will whine!

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 am

...and you can tell how thrilled he was with that... (...if he knew it. If not, it's just that some annoying woman is jabbering in his exalted, furry ears. When he'd much rather be playing golf. Or grab something...)
Lard, save me from your followers.

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 am
Balmoral95 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
unwatchable:

Nadia Murad is a hero. How dare he disrespect her. If his approval rating doesn't drop on account of this, serious adjustments will be needed in the electoral college.

Hopefully the democrats can use this to depict him as complacent to the worst genocide in recent memory.

Right, which means 5% of the population knows that... or cares...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:07 am

optimistically
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Jeff_36 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:22 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 am
Jeff_36 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 am
Balmoral95 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
unwatchable:

Right, which means 5% of the population knows that... or cares...
A shame. She went through hell on earth and lived to tell the tale. A modern day Rudolf Vrba or Yaakov Wiernek. But Bloatus couldn't care less.

I'm authentically furious.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 am

Offtopic Just because of all the lunacy, don't forget about this lunar event. :-P

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:09 pm

The size of the "She Won a Nobel Prize" voting bloc notwithstanding, I found this piece on Trump's (non)approach to government spending quite interesting: Trump tells aides to look for big spending cuts in second term, sowing confusion about budget priorities.

Three recent related pieces, on the US economy, worth reading (along with this again): Deficit Man and the 2020 Election
The Trump bump probably peaked too early
, Trump Conveniently Forgets When He Endorsed Using Debt Limit As Leverage, and Sanders is right: Republican tax cuts cost more than forgiving student debt.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:11 pm

unrelated to anything: why does Bloatus mispronounce antisemitic as antisemettic? is is because he doesn't know how the word is spelled?

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 am
Offtopic Just because of all the lunacy, don't forget about this lunar event. :-P
Couldn't quite commemorate the 50 years, it happened at 3:56 am in the UK, BBC broadcasted the event until 10:30 am the following day. Pater woke me early with my brother that night back in '69 heh around 2.am maybe and we watched it on the monochrome set. Looked like a very slow game of cricket when the broadcasts came through. All night broadcasts on the telly were unprecedented then. Staying up until 5 in the morning for a six year old was unprecedented too. Six days later I had my Seventh birthday.

I stayed awake until 1:15 am in 2019. Watched For all Mankind on the youtube after reading, 'wagging the moondoggie.'
Last edited by Darren Wilshak on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Back on Topic, Trumpo said he was going to Mars, didn't he? Or was it America?
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Something (much better) for the road.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:42 pm

...and should the appointment and subsequent confirmation of Epstain-Barr be considered ongoing obstruction of justice? :heh:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Darren Wilshak wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 am
Couldn't quite commemorate the 50 years, it happened at 3:56 am in the UK, BBC broadcasted the event until 10:30 am the following day. Pater woke me early with my brother that night back in '69 heh around 2.am maybe and we watched it on the monochrome set. Looked like a very slow game of cricket when the broadcasts came through. All night broadcasts on the telly were unprecedented then. Staying up until 5 in the morning for a six year old was unprecedented too. Six days later I had my Seventh birthday.

I stayed awake until 1:15 am in 2019. Watched For all Mankind on the youtube after reading, 'wagging the moondoggie.'
That summer - the moon landing, then the Tate-LaBianca murders, followed by Woodstock, if I have my chronology straight.

I was in Montana hanging out with the Gerdeses, bucking bales of hay, and building prefab houses . . . the moon landing meh, the Tate-LaBianca murders bad bad craziness that we should have seen coming, Woodstock?

When I first heard about "Woodstock," all I got was that 400,000 kids were stuck in a muddy field in upstate NY taking drugs, having bad trips and dying. I wondered, furrowing my brow as Greg and I chugged beers, "Why are all the kids in that farmer's field?" I swatted at a fly and watched the moose gambol about across a field. It made no sense to me. Dying in a muddy field after taking bad acid didn't seem to me the best way to stick it to the man. Greg was sure that, just like the moon landing, it was all a hoax. Only some time later did I learn that some bands were there, too.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Swedish PM Stefan Löfven re: Bloatus' intervention in the case of A$AP Rocky - instigated by Kanye and some celeb reality "star":
I will explain that the Swedish judicial system is independent. In Sweden, everyone is equal before the law, and this includes visitors from other countries.
Also:
The Swedish government cannot and will not try to influence prosecutors or courts.
I doubt these calm words meant much to Trump, other than to raise questions about what's going on in Sweden. Sweden is not like Trump's kingdom, where connected, powerful, and famous people can buy "justice," jerry-rig court processes, garner interference from nobles or the monarch, or otherwise, as we say in kleptocracies, "Epstein it."

YB Södermalm, a Swedish police Twitter account, explained, in English: "Sorry Mr President. You have to respect and wait for the Swedish judicial system to process this matter. The Swedish prime minister will not interfere. And neither should you."

As far as Trump standing for A$AP Rocky's bail, which Bloatus offered Löfven, does he intend to write a personal check to the Swedish PM - who doesn't get to tell Sweden's courts what to handle cases?

The Swedish court, not the PM, has decided to extend Mr Rocky's detention until 25 July, at the request of prosecutors, to allow the Swedish investigators to complete their work.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:16 pm

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/76-billion-opioid-pills-in-7-years-how-pharma-companies-drowned-us-in-drugs/ wrote:
As the epidemic surged over the seven-year period, so did the supply. The companies increased distribution from 8.4 billion in 2006 to 12.6 billion in 2012, a jump of roughly 50%. In all, the deluge of pills was enough to supply every adult and child in the country with around 36 opioid pills per year. Just a 10-day supply can hook 1 in 5 people into being long-term users...

The drug companies had fought to keep the data hidden from the public, arguing that it revealed “transactional data” that could be used by competitors. The Department of Justice also argued against the release, saying it could compromise investigations.

WaPo had been trying to get at the data since 2016 and finally succeeded.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Those Tea Partiers probably needed a little more than just chamomile to deal with the black man in the White House, eh...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 pm

time to get out '60s memorabilia, or here we go again:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:16 pm
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/76-billion-opioid-pills-in-7-years-how-pharma-companies-drowned-us-in-drugs/ wrote:
As the epidemic surged over the seven-year period, so did the supply. The companies increased distribution from 8.4 billion in 2006 to 12.6 billion in 2012, a jump of roughly 50%. In all, the deluge of pills was enough to supply every adult and child in the country with around 36 opioid pills per year. Just a 10-day supply can hook 1 in 5 people into being long-term users...

The drug companies had fought to keep the data hidden from the public, arguing that it revealed “transactional data” that could be used by competitors. The Department of Justice also argued against the release, saying it could compromise investigations.

WaPo had been trying to get at the data since 2016 and finally succeeded.
Build the Wall!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Actually, not a bad idea. It'll not only keep those seafaring smugglers out, but also serve while oceans are rising. :thumbsup:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Gord wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am
Youtube lawyer talks about Trump's census question case:

(Pay no nevermind to the hat.)

(I always play his videos at 1.25 speed 'cause he talks too dang slow for me. I've fallen asleep with a couple of his other videos if I don't.)
From the same Youtube lawyer guy:
Yet another Court tells Trump that he can't block people on Twitter. The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals does a good job explaining exactly how Mr. Trump is violating the law. Let's read.

(Remember: set the speed to 1.25! ;) )
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:45 pm

Even tho he insists on using his personal account, it'll be Scavino and Hucklechuckle who'll take the brunt of it. :nose:

(...and 1.5 ain't all that bad, either...)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:30 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 am
God help us. Yes, she has money, and, yes, Schumer recruited her and Warren says that she backs her.

But . . .

from The Hill:
While McGrath has the backing of Schumer and his powerful fundraising network, some Kentucky Democrats wonder if she has a realistic chance of beating McConnell.

Jones, the founder of Kentucky Sport Radio in Lexington who is looking at the Senate race, said in March that McGrath can’t beat McConnell.

"She can't beat McConnell, so why would you want to recruit her to run?" he said at the time. "She would be a great public servant. I just don't know if she can beat McConnell in Kentucky, which is probably what the goal is.” . . .

[A Kentucky Democratic party] source, who requested anonymity to discuss McGrath frankly, said, “There’s still some ambivalence about her candidacy.”

“Matt Jones is really good on his feet, and I think he would run Amy around in circles if they debated. But I don’t know if she would allow that,” the official said.
And why can't McGrath win?

On her message:
. . . one of the reasons why Kentucky voted for Donald Trump is to drain the swamp, and to do things like bring back jobs, to bring down prescription drug prices, to do big things like infrastructure. And all along the way, if you look at why he hasn’t been able to get those things done, you got to look at Senator McConnell. He stops him along the way. And I think that’s my message, you know?
Her message, you know, she thinks, is that McConnell stands in Trump's way?!?!?!

On Kavanaugh:
I was very concerned about Judge Kavanaugh, what I felt like were the far-right stances that he had. However, there was nothing in his record that I think would disqualify him in any way. And the fact is when you have the President and the Senate, this is our system and so I don't think there was anything that would have disqualified him in my mind. . . . I think that with Judge Kavanaugh, yeah, I probably would have voted for him.
Leaving aside the submoronic gobbledygook about "you have the President and the Senate, this is our system" - whatever she's trying to say (that she basically will go along with whatever?) - she would have voted for Kavanaugh?!?!! She thinks?

After saying last year that she wouldn't have?

No worries, she has clarified later that day:
I was asked earlier today about Judge Brett Kavanaugh and I answered based upon his qualifications to be on the Supreme Court. But upon further reflection and further understanding of his record, I would have voted no.
His qualifications? Further reflection about his record? As the unnamed insider quoted above put it, noting that last year McGrath had said that she wouldn't have voted in favor of Kavanaugh: “I think she just forgot where she was on it. You can’t backpedal.”

This is frightening stuff. Jeff_36 expects to see Trump's approval rating drop because during an Oval Office nap he insulted Nadia Murad, yet here is a candidate hoping to beat Mitch McConnell who is still processing Kavanaugh and seems to be saying that Mitch has been an obstacle to real Trumpism.

Go, moderate Dems!
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:35 pm

It has been said she's trying to tread that delicate line of not offending Rump while in Rump country, but also demanding better than what he and his enablers delivered? And McTurdle being the head clown in that circus. Something of that sort...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:38 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:35 pm
It has been said she's trying to tread that delicate line of not offending Rump while in Rump country, but also demanding better than what he and his enablers delivered? And McTurdle being the head clown in that circus. Something of that sort...
Oh I get that, it's just that it is so poorly done. I think that's the concern among the local Dems. The Democrats now expect a number of potentially stronger candidates to join the primary.

OTOH "vote for me, I will make sure Trump's agenda passes" is one helluva message. For a Democrat. Even in Kentucky. It won't win votes, it's too idiotic.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Maybe it's beneficial "enough" that she's throwing her well-known weight* behind it, even if she's not "the one"?

* No, I'm not saying she's heavy! :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 pm

A democrat running in Trump Country can and should only go to how the Trump voters are not being served: jobs, taxes, healthcare, infrastructure.

Cut the gordian knot.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:47 pm

They should find someone who can win. And I shouldn't fall for the hype.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:18 am

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:47 pm
They should find someone who can win. And I shouldn't fall for the hype.
Find?........You mean like the lotto? So, dumb luck over analysis??

.........well, it is Kentucky.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 am

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm
As far as Trump standing for A$AP Rocky's bail, which Bloatus offered Löfven, does he intend to write a personal check to the Swedish PM - who doesn't get to tell Sweden's courts what to handle cases?
Trump's offer to vouch for A$AP Rocky's bail must have struck Löfven as doubly strange in that Sweden does not have a bail system. Nonetheless, press reports say that Sweden's government is very concerned about pressure from Trump and what he will do if he is unable to get the PM to intervene in Sweden's judicial process.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:39 am

time capsule:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 am

A. R. Moxon:
Historians have a word for Germans who joined the Nazi party, not because they hated Jews, but out of a hope for restored patriotism, or a sense of economic anxiety, or a hope to preserve their religious values, or dislike of their opponents, or raw political opportunism, or convenience, or ignorance, or greed.

That word is "Nazi." Nobody cares about their motives anymore.

They joined what they joined. They lent their support and their moral approval. And, in so doing, they bound themselves to everything that came after. Who cares any more what particular knot they used in the binding?

What am I saying here? Am I saying we are Nazis? The answer, I suppose, has to be 'no.' Only Nazis are Nazis. We are Americans. But what that will mean in decades to come—'American'—has been thrown into hazard. We used to be the sort of place that doesn't allow Donald Trumps to happen. That's gone now, along with that specific sort of trust the world once had in us. In any case, what we seem to now be trying to redefine 'American' to mean seems like a rough beast, and omnivorous.
http://www.armoxon.com/2017/01/sky.html

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:45 am

Apparently there are now a only few select True American™ paytriots - those who Dear Leader declares such. Does one have to carry the Trumpian card soon to get/keep a (decent) job, go to college, or live in some peace, like way back when?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:21 am

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 am
A. R. Moxon:
.............In any case, what we seem to now be trying to redefine 'American' to mean seems like a rough beast, and omnivorous.
http://www.armoxon.com/2017/01/sky.html
Ahhhh===no. Its in the ballpark of what Trump is trying to do.........but if "we" is American Society then TRUMP has never gotten above 47% approval: so America is something else. CHALLENGED for sure. The courts for the most part have held. The Dumbos have held as much as they can. Its the Republican Fascist Party and its UnderFuehrer McDonald that has let America down. THEY should have been the first and best and strongest and most effective bulwark against Trumpism.....but they revealed their feet of clay, feet of the fast shuffle looking out in foremost for that which advantages themselves above all us. They are just a bunch of bastards..........and Trump is no political idea beyond simple criminalism. Like Putin: just amassing as much as he can while he can.

Americas sick center has been revealed though: we are no different than any other group of people..................with the caveat........that perhaps our diversity will in fact save us. The hate in all the subgroups just not influential enough to guide the whole.

Ha, ha.............slim pickings. fuehrer

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:36 am

Racists... Trump supporting racists... are patriots? The mind boggles...

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 am

TJrandom wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:36 am
Racists... Trump supporting racists... are patriots? The mind boggles...

“They say that patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings; steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and then they make you king.”

― Bob Dylan

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 am

Larry Sabato on 2020 election: “People have made up their minds completely about Donald Trump. I don’t think there’s anyone left to be converted. The election will be decided by who shows up.”

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Jeff_36 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:11 pm
unrelated to anything: why does Bloatus mispronounce antisemitic as antisemettic? is is because he doesn't know how the word is spelled?
He mispronounced a lot of words.

Missiles - "misshuz"

Anonymous - "anomninoussh"

Rennovation - "rennovershion"

Origins - "Oranges"

Midterm - "midtowem"

Crisis - "krissssh"

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm

true, good point . . . yeah, I also remember jeye uh nu (China), tan ZAYN ee uh (Tanzania), diversary (diversity), United Schtash (United States), Nipple and Button (Nepal and Bhutan), Venewella (Venezuela) . . . giving rise to speculation about cognitive difficulties . . . some of it seems to be profound ignorance of what he has to talk about, but some of it is just hard to attribute to this obvious deficit . . .