Discussions
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:54 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:04 pm
Yes, the judge is Amy Berman Jackson who is described as no-nonsense (although she's put up with a lot more of Roger Stone's BS than seems appropriate). Judge Jackson has already ruled that Manafort lied to Mueller's office and the FBI whilst supposedly in a cooperation agreement with the prosecution., putting him in breach of the deal. In that case, Manafort pleaded guilty to conspiring to defraud theUS, violating FARA rules on lobbying, and obstructing justice by witness tampering, all related to work Manafort did for Viktor Yanukovych and other pro-Russian politicos in Ukraine.
from a WaPo story tonight on Judge AmyBerman Jackson:
Jackson achieved her greatest prominence as a defense lawyer with Trout representing former Louisiana congressman William J. Jefferson on corruption charges in a complex, heavily litigated case — tried before Ellis — that is best known for the $90,000 in cash bribes found stuffed in the Democrat’s freezer and for a precedent-setting, separation-of-powers battle triggered by the 2006 FBI raid of his congressional office.
It's a small world . . . but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:48 am

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:54 am

from a WaPo story tonight on Judge AmyBerman Jackson:
Jackson achieved her greatest prominence as a defense lawyer with Trout representing former Louisiana congressman William J. Jefferson on corruption charges in a complex, heavily litigated case — tried before Ellis — that is best known for the $90,000 in cash bribes found stuffed in the Democrat’s freezer and for a precedent-setting, separation-of-powers battle triggered by the 2006 FBI raid of his congressional office.
It's a small world . . . but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Indeed. With lawyers and judges involved, the implications could run from being totally meaningless to the basis for a "based on" TV miniseries of great psychological conflict. Would Judge Jackson really let a die-hard life long criminal like Manafort get the maximum penalty to get back at Ellis?........when Manafort deserves the death penalty except for the law??? Hah, hah....hard to write a tragedy when the "presumed innocent defendant" involved is a crook. ..................... Well, being "based on" I suppose the Judges could have had an affair in Law School and the bailiff is their bastard son who suspects his parentage when transferring Manafort from court to court? Based on: the USA was a country in 2019.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:51 pm

My gut feeling (fear) is that the Democratic nomination will come down to Biden vs Sanders. The polls show this* but even more so Biden starts with widespread support, far outpacing challengers like Booker, Gillibrand, O'Rourke, Klobuchar, Hickenlooper, et al - and is the hope of many centrist Democrats at this point.

Bernie has his Our Revolution base to dominate the progressive swim lane and soak up money, attention, and support. Already I am reading that Warren is struggling.

I don't know whether to think of Harris as more in the centrist or progressive wing. But neither Harris nor the other newer faces seems to be off to a good start. Sherrod Brown would have been very interesting as a candidate with progressive bona fides but some contrary positions and thinking to Sanders, maybe able to sit comfortably in multiple swim lanes.

Money will, of course, help winnow the field. But even before that happens, we seem to have two tiers, the top tier being occupied by Sanders and Biden. Biden's support doesn't seem as firm as Sanders' at this point. There's a long way to go, and maybe one of the newer people will have a breakout moment along the way . . . but right now, meh.

My wife this morning commented that 2018, the year of women in politics, will be succeeded by 4 old white men running in 2020.

------

* Iowa: Biden 27, Sanders 25, Warren 9, Harris 7, and O'Rourke 5. RCP Average: Biden 29, Sanders 20, Warren 12, Harris 7, Booker 5, and O'Rourke 5

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Since the field is so dense, the pick for VPmight be far more important than usual (actually it was very important in 2016 imo).
But Biden can risk a Rebel, whereas Sanders needs a centrist - and they better start pairing up before the nomination.
Which gives Biden the edge, I think.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:50 pm
the pick for VPmight be far more important than usual (actually it was very important in 2016 imo).
I thought that Sherrod Brown would have won Clinton the election by holding MI, PA, and WI and even forcing Trump to expend energy on OH. But IIRC the thinking was that they didn't want to lose the OH Senate seat. Frankly, first things first, IMO.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:01 pm

I agree with Schiff on this 100% and also have been surprised Mueller hasn't pursued this course: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ake-schiff

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Unfortunately, I can see the Mueller investigation of Trump shaping up like the Starr investigation of Clinton. Lots of smoke, but no fire was ever found.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm

And sadly I agree with this deeply pessimistic piece on Trump's enduring baseline support - and the relation between Trump's approval numbers and his reelection chances: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 9ddf29b85f

Personally I am fully prepared for another 4 years of this BS and the consequences that will bring. I've even begun thinking of certain parts of the country as enemy territory.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm

landrew wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:06 pm
Unfortunately, I can see the Mueller investigation of Trump shaping up like the Starr investigation of Clinton. Lots of smoke, but no fire was ever found.
Maybe not with Mueller but I see a lot of investigations of the orange one on the New York level.

Groening:

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Speaking of SDNY and NY state, last night I had dinner with some friends, ones I'd characterize as centrist to conservative Dems. They've been convinced all along that Trump is a Putin puppet and Mueller will expose that.

By now, however, they've begun to doubt the Mueller's investigation will bring Trump down. Not that there isn't fire (there was in Clinton's case, too) but rather that not enough people and not the right people give a {!#%@} and, in contrast to the Clinton saga, the Mueller investigation is contained by DOJ rules and interference - and, as we've learned recently, won't even be permitted to present evidence to Congress that warrants impeachment.

So my friends' focus has turned now to SDNY (but not yet NY state) - with the expectation that SDNY will bring Trump down. But they couldn't explain exactly what the charges would be or what the evidence is - nor, equally importantly, why Barr won't mess as much with anything of serious danger to Individual-1 emerging from SDNY as he has said he will with Mueller.

As to the state prosecutions, where are they? NY state has, of course, had decades to bring Trump to justice.

Trump is a political problem as much as a legal one; and where he sits is because of politics. A political solution will be required. Godot will show up with the goods before Mueller or some other jurisdiction will, I am afraid.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:37 pm

It's hard to detect any sign of loyalty by Trump towards all his former associates falling around him like tin soldiers and going to jail. He looks a little relieved that they seem to be deflecting a bit of the heat off of him.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm
And sadly I agree with this deeply pessimistic piece on Trump's enduring baseline support - and the relation between Trump's approval numbers and his reelection chances: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 9ddf29b85f

Personally I am fully prepared for another 4 years of this BS and the consequences that will bring. I've even begun thinking of certain parts of the country as enemy territory.
Yeah, but apparently 53% of Florida voters don't think he should be reelected. (40% think he should - and the Reptilian's handling of elections worries me...)

In other news, there's more fishy stuff about one of the Prince(s). (And while you're there, click on this. :-P)
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:41 pm
Yeah, but apparently 53% of Florida voters don't think he should be reelected. (40% think he should - and the Reptilian's handling of elections worries me...)
I agree with this assessment of FL (link and posts) more than any single poll: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27067&p=700639&hil ... da#p700639

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 pm

:lol:

Let's hope things look brighter than the outlook of that pessimist. (But not as bright as the cute images of Li Yang with Gaetz, Scott and DeSantis...)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:10 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 pm
:lol:

Let's hope things look brighter than the outlook of that pessimist. (But not as bright as the cute images of Li Yang with Gaetz, Scott and DeSantis...)
That pessimist! LOL

I assume that Trump is up to his eye-teeth in sex-purchase and access-selling skullduggery.

from rub-and-tug to grip-and-grin

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:09 pm
enemy territory
LOL
But other ratings on the app are less obvious. A number of Oklahoma City pizzerias have been rated, but it’s not clear why one pizza place is rated as “not safe” and another as “safe.”
I’m of two minds on this. One, don’t pester someone if they are eating. Touching someone’s person or possessions is not OK, keep your hands to yourself. Two, walking in to a public establishment wearing a MAGA hat is asking for trouble, the person wearing it knows it. It’s like walking into Yankee Stadium wearing a Red Sox hat.

I have no sympathy for those who knock people’s hats off or start trouble. But I can’t feel sorry for those who put themselves in that situation.

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 pm
walking in to a public establishment wearing a MAGA hat is asking for trouble, the person wearing it knows it. It’s like walking into Yankee Stadium wearing a Red Sox hat.
been there, done that :) (I mean the Red Sox hat in the Bronx, of course)
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 pm
I have no sympathy for those who knock people’s hats off or start trouble. But I can’t feel sorry for those who put themselves in that situation.
My friends, the conservative Democrats, said last night that if Trump loses in '20, they worry he won't vacate office. I asked, "What then? Are the Democrats prepared?" Their answer was both swift and surprising, "Civil war."

I tried to remind them which side is willing to tear the country apart to get its way and which side is armed and plays war games, to no avail.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 pm

It was said federal marshals would remove him - but what would they do with all the Trumpling paytriots surrounding the place?

(I also hope Mueller takes out Bannon. That one still on the loose and manipulating social media is worrisome...)
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 pm

But who would issue the orders to the federal marshals? And which set of orders would they obey? I was thinking more of such a scenario - where he uses the federal apparatus to stay in power, declares the election fraudulent (saying that umpteen millions of Iraqi and Syrian ISIS members had tunneled via Guatemala under THE WALL and voted all across this great land . . .), rallies the yahoos, and deploys parts of the armed forces . . . Jesus, this is getting trippy . . .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Trump will lose!

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:51 pm

One can only hope that the facts of what he is and always has been will have rallied the general population enough for their outrage to outweigh the stranglehold donors have on the Reptilians.

Wait, what am I saying? After years of working on this, they are still so power drunk, they're insane. :doh:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Saw this yesterday:
https://theintercept.com/2019/03/06/don ... ment-2020/

We are in uncharted waters here. Much of the political process is based upon assumptions, that the participants agree to go by the Constitution and traditions built up over 200 years. We assume that all this stuff will go like clockwork. Presidents, Senators, Congressmen and women, etc. get voted in and out and no one refuses to go.

But it’s hard to see what will happen if Trump loses in 2020 or gets a second term and goes to 2024. Will he say that he is different, that the rules don’t apply to him?

Moore showed video in Fahrenheit 11/9 of Trump sending up trial balloons. We’ve seen the infamous polls about the 52% willing to suspend elections if Trump wants to. It’s friggin’ frightening to know how fragile all this stuf is. The saving grace is that we still have the law.

The reality is I don’t know. His term as president will end in either January 2021 or January 2025. There will be a period of time where he is a lame duck. I see him using that time to whip his Trumplings into a frenzy. What will they do? What will he do? Will Congress and the Senate be willing to take necessary steps? The military? The Secret Service? It’s their duty to protect him, can they protect him from himself? Can they protect us?

Scary.....

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Or maybe he will pull a Zachary Taylor only with cheeseburgers?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm

We can only hope...{!#%@}, that means Pence will be president.

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Glad to see that the good officers of the Bolivar PD are focused on high priority crime: Pot search sparks controversy; although no pot was found in this search, I thank the Lord for PDs like this one . . . maybe we could deploy them to the White House on the off chance that Trump loses in '20 and refuses to move his fat ass?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:52 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:57 pm

He needs that money so he can give more to his "friends" and donors and keep up the illusion that he supports the military.

And that he is a billionaire.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm reading that the Orange Cretin's budget priorities are (a) wall funding and (b) the "space force." Which means he wants to fight simultaneous fake wars against imaginary enemies. Probably better than real wars, which he also seems to like.

But here's the thing: we are inevitably, one way or another, going to have another go at the Wall, in a big sense, like during the shutdown. His strategy seems to be like that of a spoiled 5-year-old brat who has determined that if he bawl and scream long enough, he will get what he wants. Wear 'em down.

What do the Dems do this time, not having succeeded so well, in the sense of landing punishing blows, on the shutdown showdown?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Trump campaign nut job Katrina Pierson, on the lack of diversity in Trump's White House: "How many black people were in Abraham Lincoln’s West Wing?”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 pm

and the far left says that bipartisan outreach won't work magic!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:14 pm
...budget priorities are (a) wall funding and (b) the "space force."...
Besides another desired Nobel, it's his effort to expand his base, looking for white holes.

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:19 am

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 pm
Trump campaign nut job Katrina Pierson, on the lack of diversity in Trump's White House: "How many black people were in Abraham Lincoln’s West Wing?”
Probably quite a few as that area of the WH grounds was stables at the time.... Mein gott, she's a bonehead...

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:15 am

Schiff has been telling lies about Trump and Russia collusion for two years now.
Here is one example about Bruce Ohr.

He has also said they have seen the proof of collusion in committee. When pressed on this, Nadler said it was just his opinion and they had to investigate.
Another example is the damage they claimed would happen to national security if the Nunes memo were published. It was released to the public. What i the damage that should have prevented this release?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am

Nunes is a proven liar and cheater. Mueller has proven that he let people get away with lying under oath. He also falsified reports.

Schiff, on the other hand, is just starting.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:48 am

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 pm
Right. Or in George Washington's? (Oh right. He never occupied the White House, did he?) So, the bar is "whatever was OK 150 years ago is still OK today." And anyway, I'll bet Trump has just as many black people as Lincoln did, sweeping the floors and preparing the meals.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Club for Growth - a right-wing anti-tax outfit that gives big bucks to loons like Dave Brat, Mike Lee, Steve Scalise, Ted Cruz and Paul Gosar - and (with but two or three exceptions) to white men - plans an attack-ad campaign against Beto O'Rourke based on his "white male privilege" contrasting him to Obama, who, as we know, was so lionized by pro-Kenyan, antiracist right-wing nut jobs from the Tea Party and other fever swamps where the Club for Growth has operated. Who says we lack irony today?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am
Nunes is a proven liar and cheater. Mueller has proven that he let people get away with lying under oath. He also falsified reports.

Schiff, on the other hand, is just starting.
Meh he is just repeating here the latest desperate offensive from Trump/Nunes allies - Jim Jordan, Red State, etc - which hit the right-wing media over the past few days, after a Republican Judiciary Committee member, Doug Collins (R-GA), released the transcript of Ohr's interview. So back they go to the dossier. As you note, Nunes' clumsy gambits, reports, and skullduggery are old news.

On the dossier I read an interesting point this weekend:
Consider this for a moment: If the Steele dossier had contained speculation that the president and his family were giving access to a Chinese woman who runs a string of sex spas where rich, powerful friends of the president were getting sexual services, would it have been any less shocking or disturbing than alleged stories about golden showers with Russian hookers?

The fact is, given that this particular story continued long after Trump became president and was easily documented, it actually would be much worse. And that is not just because this story is likely to contain many more revelations. It is because we now know it to be a symptom of one of the many serious ailments from which Trump and his presidency suffer.
Throw in that the Chinese woman in question is both a donor to the Republican party and attended Trump's convention - and is active in at least two organizations that promote the interests of the Chinese Communist party and government in the US - and it becomes obvious why Trump's flacks need whatever diversionary noise they can make right now.