This is a contender for best cover.

Watchtower.

He checked out 48 years ago, yesterday.

:shock:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: George Martin RIP

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Darren Wilshak wrote:This is a contender for best cover.

Watchtower.

He checked out 48 years ago, yesterday.

:shock:
Eesh....
Not my favorite song of his, Red House is an all-time favorite.

https://vimeo.com/251237376
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....
Noel, Noel, what the hell.”
Benjamin Ferencz in a letter to Telford Taylor, December 1951

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 pm

I actually love his version of Watchtower.

Time for a story from the vaults: I was sitting at the House of Blues with Rufus Thomas one lazy afternoon in 1997. A Jimi Hendrix recording starts playing over the house PA system. Rufus screws up his face in agony: “Man, they're trying’ to chase me out of here.” I express surprise: “This is Hendrix, Rufus.” Rufus explains, “I’ll tell you a story, not many people know this one. It was the same club where I later wrote ‘Do the Funky Chicken,’ in Covington, Tennessee. I had two guitar players, I can’t remember the second one’s name at the time, but the other one was a young guy, playing just terrible, loud, out of tune, all over the place. After a while, I said, ‘Send him home, I can’t use a guitar player who plays like that.’ That dude was Jimi Hendrix.”
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 pm

I agree that Red House is a cracker Jeff but its not a cover version, its his own composition.

Hendrix cover of Gloria is powerful jamming but quite rude. Hendrix cover of Rolling stone transcends the song. Hey Joe is a cover as well.

Ah and Hendrix kept on playing his guitar. when he got off the Chitlin circuit. He went through about 45 instruments in his career. I think his finest work though really was the 1970 Band of Gypsies concerts at Fillmore East. Machine Gun, is a soundscape book end to that whole era of the Vietnam war and the by now obvious maturity of the electric guitar as the sixties ended.

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:29 pm

This isn't a cover, its an obvious homage to the BEATLES, 'I'm only sleeping...'

Quite good though and laconic - psychedelic.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Darren Wilshak wrote:I agree that Red House is a cracker Jeff but its not a cover version, its his own composition.

Hendrix cover of Gloria is powerful jamming but quite rude. Hendrix cover of Rolling stone transcends the song. Hey Joe is a cover as well.

Ah and Hendrix kept on playing his guitar. when he got off the Chitlin circuit. He went through about 45 instruments in his career. I think his finest work though really was the 1970 Band of Gypsies concerts at Fillmore East. Machine Gun, is a soundscape book end to that whole era of the Vietnam war and the by now obvious maturity of the electric guitar as the sixties ended.

“Hey Joe” is another favorite.

My older brother had a really cool black light poster of Hendrix hung up in his room. When my parents were gone he played the Hendrix really loud, that’s where I got my love of Hendrix.
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Post by Balsamo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Please be careful upping this thread. Each time i expect to see another victim of Death. (:

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Its kind of taken on a dual identity as its about music as much as it is concerned with current news about people in the music world checking out.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:44 pm

but you cleverly connected it to Hendrix's passing anyway :)

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0z0vmkJ4MQ[/bbvideo]
Seriously have this stuck in my head....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:20 pm

My son introduced me to it. I had no interest in listening to it on account of this:

My son insisted - and since we had bonded over Gang of 4, Mission of Burma, Wire, and Nirvana, I had to give KJ a listen. I was hooked almost at once. Jaz Coleman is batshit crazy. The bassist, Geordie Walker, provided one of my Rodoh avatars ... I may have to bring him back:

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 pm

In 1980.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:My son introduced me to it. I had no interest in listening to it on account of this:

My son insisted - and since we had bonded over Gang of 4, Mission of Burma, Wire, and Nirvana, I had to give KJ a listen. I was hooked almost at once. Jaz Coleman is batshit crazy. The bassist, Geordie Walker, provided one of my Rodoh avatars ... I may have to bring him back:

I’ve been in a mood for music like this lately so it fits.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:46 am

Marty Balin, co-founder of Jefferson Airplane, found dead:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollin ... 30912/amp/

Played this song at my wedding:

Kantner passed away a couple of years ago:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... as-225492/

Yet Grace Slick rolls on and on.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:04 pm

CPD officer Jason Van Dyke has been convicted of murder in the 2nd degree and 16 counts of aggravated battery (one for each shot he fired) in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald in 2014. Chicago has been just a bit on edge, bordering on paranoia, awaiting this verdict.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Chicago Police Union flexes its authoritarian muscles and attacks the jury system - and threatens the community - in defense of convicted murderer / former cop Jason Van Dyke: “This is a day I never thought I’d see in America, where 12 ordinary citizens were duped into saving the asses of self-serving politicians at the expense of a dedicated public servant. . . . This sham trial and shameful verdict is a message to every law enforcement officer in America that it’s not the perpetrator in front of you that you need to worry about, it’s the political operatives stabbing you in the back. What cop would still want to be proactive fighting crime after this disgusting charade, and are law abiding citizens ready to pay the price?”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Whitey Bulger.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm
Whitey Bulger.
Well, it’s poetic justice that an infamous murderer is murdered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

I thought when I first saw it that he died of natural causes but someone got him in the end.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:09 pm

My wife and I once went to a restaurant in LA and the waiter told us that we'd been seated at Bulger's regular table, right up until he got arrested.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:09 pm
My wife and I once went to a restaurant in LA and the waiter told us that we'd been seated at Bulger's regular table, right up until he got arrested.
Ever see the movie “The Departed?” Jack Nicholson’s character is allegedly based upon Whitey Bulger.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm

LOL I see movies about as often as I watch YouTubes about history or politics :)

I once took a photo of drunken revelers on St Patrick's Day outside one of Whitey's bars in Southie. I always felt a kinship for him after that. LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I recommend it, it’s good.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:05 am

BTW to our members from Boston, congrats on the World Series.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:17 am

thanks, although I am not currently from Boston, I lived there for 22 years and have retained my Fenway season's tickets - I will bet you can guess what I've done whilst reading recent evenings :)

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Post by Jeff_36 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:53 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Ever see the movie “The Departed?” Jack Nicholson’s character is allegedly based upon Whitey Bulger.
A great movie, and a chilling performance from Nicholson. "Black Mass" on the other hand was awful, a major disappointment, especially considering the the book it was (allegedly) based upon was fantastic.
Last edited by Jeff_36 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Post by Jeff_36 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:57 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm
Whitey Bulger.

I thought when I first saw it that he died of natural causes but someone got him in the end.
I have mixed feeling about this. Bulger was an awful man, no doubt, but what kind of cowardly little {!#%@} gets his licks off by beating an 89 year old man to death?

I don't suppose that we will ever find out if The Lady of the Dunes was one of his victims. Many (myself included) believe that she was.
Last edited by Jeff_36 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Post by Jeff_36 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:02 am

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm
Chicago Police Union flexes its authoritarian muscles and attacks the jury system - and threatens the community - in defense of convicted murderer / former cop Jason Van Dyke: “This is a day I never thought I’d see in America, where 12 ordinary citizens were duped into saving the asses of self-serving politicians at the expense of a dedicated public servant. . . . This sham trial and shameful verdict is a message to every law enforcement officer in America that it’s not the perpetrator in front of you that you need to worry about, it’s the political operatives stabbing you in the back. What cop would still want to be proactive fighting crime after this disgusting charade, and are law abiding citizens ready to pay the price?”
Upon your earlier request, I looked at the Chicago subforum of Officer.com. There is pervasive, vehemently expressed sentiment that the "white shirts" (high ranking officers) covered the incident up and let the "blue shirts" (lower ranking/front line officers) take the blame for it. The CPD seems very much like a house divided against itself at the moment.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:02 am
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm
Upon your earlier request, I looked at the Chicago subforum of Officer.com. There is pervasive, vehemently expressed sentiment that the "white shirts" (high ranking officers) covered the incident up and let the "blue shirts" (lower ranking/front line officers) take the blame for it. The CPD seems very much like a house divided against itself at the moment.
Business as usual, sigh....

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:57 am
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm
Whitey Bulger.

I have mixed feeling about this. Bulger was an awful man, no doubt, but what kind of cowardly little {!#%@} gets his licks off by beating an 89 year old man to death?

I don't suppose that we will ever find out if The Lady of the Dunes was one of his victims. Many (myself included) believe that she was.
On the one hand I agree, on the other Bulger never cared about his victims so I find it poetic justice he exited this life as violently as he lived it.

Odd for a liberal like me, I know.... :D

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:30 pm

I don't think that this will turn out to be some little {!#%@} getting kicks but rather a mob hit. "We only kill each other," which, whilst not being true, is a mindset that persists.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 am

Willie McCovey.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:41 am

Ah, OK. I caught an update but didn’t know who they were talking about.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Does anyone remember the date on which the Bowling Green Massacre didn't occur? I'm afraid we've missed a proper commemoration . . .

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Wasn’t it October 33rd? Wait, there’s still time!!!!

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Ralph Steadman is ... not dead - so there is still bad craziness forthcoming, in the form of a retrospective of his work at Haight Street Art Center. I have half a mind to fly out and see it. It'd be a good way to honor the victims of Bowling Green.

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Looks good! Go and take along a copy of the, 'Goddam bats' book and he might sign that as well.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Alec Baldwin is . . . not dead either. But once I ran smack into him a casino in Vegas. He was pissed off and nasty; we'd both come around a corner and neither saw the other . . . but somehow the snafu was my fault. I tried to apologize and make a joke. He was really angry. As he stomped off, I asked my wife who the {!#%@} in a white tee shirt and black leather pants thought he was. She said, "Alec Baldwin. Because he is."

Which brings me to this: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/alec ... ng-dispute

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Continues with the anger issues then.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:23 am