General Books/Reading Discussion

Discussions
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Hey, has anyone seen episodes of The Man in the High Castle? Worth watching?
While it captures some of the spirit of the book, it puts different emphasis on many things - not necessarily for the better, more for those who lack subtlety.
So I would recommend either to read the book first or to never read the book at all.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks, I quite liked, many years ago,"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" - the first movie made from that was pretty good, too. Adaptations are hard . . . I may to take part of your advice that goes "or to never read the book at all."
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:23 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Hey, has anyone seen episodes of The Man in the High Castle? Worth watching?
I read the book, but had no idea it was now a TV show. I'm very interested, as it is an odd novel, by a great, though mad, author.

Stanilsaw Lem, was a Pole, who wrote "Solaris" and "Pirx the Pilot". Phillip K Dick wrote very mad letters to the FBI to stop Lem from visiting the USA, because he was "a communist".

http://culture.pl/en/article/philip-k-d ... -committee

I found the trailer

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: Stanilsaw Lem, was a Pole, who wrote "Solaris" and "Pirx the Pilot". Phillip K Dick wrote very mad letters to the FBI to stop Lem from visiting the USA, because he was "a communist". [/color]
http://culture.pl/en/article/philip-k-d ... -committee

shame about that - I LOVE the stories by Lem ("The advantages of the Dragon" is about the greatest piece about economics ever written ;) ).

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:54 am

ElectricMonk wrote: I LOVE the stories by Lem ("The advantages of the Dragon" is about the greatest piece about economics ever written ;) ).
I have read all of Lem's books.

Of interest, I wanted to buy the soundtrack for Solaris, the 1974 movie. I found an internet shop in Moscow. It turned out that the bloke running the shop was the son of Eduard Artemiev, who was the soundtrack composer. I did him a favour and he sent me 50 promotional CDs of his father and other Russian soundtrack artists.

Artimey Artemiev / Electro Shock Records Russia.
http://www.electroshock.ru/eng/records/

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:15 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I did him a favour...
Sexual? :blink:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:03 am

Gord wrote:
I sent him some Australia soundtracks and suggested he add his soundtracks to a an Australian soundtrack library for smaller films, where portions can be used for set flat fees.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:33 pm

A bizarre review of "Dalton's" revised edition of Debating the Holocaust - it seems that the reviewer, Ezra MacVie, has no quarrel with "Dalton's" having posed as a "fence sitter" in the first edition - but, spinning his readers heads as he marches on, finds that by dropping the pose "Dalton" has created with the 2nd edition "a balanced weighing of the arguments for the Big Holocaust, and against it." By a dishonest schmuck with an ax to grind? MacVie's chipper appreciation of "Dalton's" history of calculated, if ineffective, deceit speaks volumes about Holocaust denial and the moral and intellectual level of its adherents.

MacVie explains that "the arguments and 'evidence' that support the regnant version of the story are presented, fully and fairly, or at least as much so as are the countervailing elements." Thank you, but no, Dalton doesn't get to state historians' views for them, which MacVie proceeds to describe as "standard litanies." (I do love the word "regnant," however, in all its glorious but inappropriate pomposity.)

This one is one of the more presumptuous and funnier outbursts from the clown car: "In a manner doing credit to all the heroic heretics of history from Herodotus to Harry Elmer Barnes . . ." LOL

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:05 am

am finishing up a quick read, Benjamin Carter Hett's book on the Reichstag fire . . . after which I will read more on Speer and Jewish policies (namely, Matthias Schmidt, Albert Speer: The End of a Myth . . . if it ever arrives from Amazombie.com)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 pm

I find myself surprised to recommend Hett's book on the Reichstag fire, which gets into the founding reality (and myth) of Hitler's dictatorship, of course, but also post-war issues, including, we might say, the founding myth of functionalism (Mommsen comes off not so hot in this case, actually; interesting material on Krausnick), shadowy intelligence figures, ex-Gestapo characters manipulating evidence and re-tellings, the Cold War, denial with cameos from Irving and Hoggan, and more. It's a good read, despite some weaknesses.

My understanding of the fire (van der Lubbe did it on his own) has undergone "revision," or at least a degree of cognitive stress, although I much appreciate the author's honesty and clarity about the limits of what we can know (due to the state of the evidence and the saga's enduring entanglement with instrumental/political goals).

Some of the reviews (Evans) have been very critical, but they seem to be reading a lot into the book . . . or bringing baggage to it . . . one review I read accused Hett of Orwellian intent simply because he describes the political contest around controlling the historical narrative of the fire, a not very controversial point and one that doesn't qualify the person describing attempts to control the narrative (and historical understanding) as advocating for the proposition. The vituperation in some of the reviews struck me as odd because Hett's narrative comes off as balanced - he's a former lawyer, and the book has a bit of an investigative bent to it. Evans dismisses Hett as a conspiracy theorist trading in discredited left wing scenarios - but Hett shows the weakness and duplicity of the early (and recent) left wing analysis - and argues that it is possible that overzealous SA men, maybe with Goebbels' connivance set the fire more for reasons of intra-party politics than to set up the dictatorship. He argues that other scenarios are possible too, making him a very poor advocate for the left wing viewpoint. I've not read the stuff Hett discusses (Tobias's work, e.g.), so maybe Evans is right, that Hett is unfair to Tobias, but it is Evans's review that comes across defensive and accusatory.

The book fails to go much into the Reichstag Fire Decree and other aspects of the fallout of the fire (arrests, bans, coordination), which seems to me a major gap. Also, Hett argues that some points can be settled - against the van der Lubbe/single arsonist idea - but many cannot (e.g., why was van der Lubbe involved at all).

Hett relies on very little that's been published in English (when he reviews secondary literature), so as a side benefit one will pick up asides, like a reference on recent work on the Foreign Office (relevant for the Luther letter?) in German that is said to present new evidence and thoughts on the office's involvement with the Final Solution.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:20 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:
I sent him some Australia soundtracks and suggested he add his soundtracks to a an Australian soundtrack library for smaller films, where portions can be used for set flat fees.
Just say yes, then.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:00 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:55 am

Exciting news on the publications front:
- HG Adler's classic work on Theresienstadt will finally be published in English, available May 20, 2016 - 886 pp.
- Also, Alex Kay, who wrote a good study of Germany's eastern policies during 1941, has a study of Albert Filbert, commander of EK9, due out March 3, 2016.
- Wolfgang Seibel's Persecution and Rescue: The Politics of the “Final Solution” in France, 1940-1944, which looks at the twists and turns of Jewish policy in France during the Final Solution, focusing on German policy and German-Vichy relations, will be released June 28, 2016.
- A very pricey new edition of Braham's The Politics of Genocide: The Holocaust in Hungary comes out March 1, 2016.
- Ivo Goldstein and Slavko Goldstein, The Holocaust in Croatia has a pub date of June 30, 2016.
- I've recently received Bazyler and Tuerkheimer, Forgotten Trials of the Holocaust, which is next on my reading list after I finish Dillon's book Dachau and the SS. (I may do a brief tour on early Nazi history following that . . . )
- I have on order: Lawrence Douglas, The Right Wrong Man: John Demjanjuk and the Last Great Nazi War Crimes Trial and Christian Gerlach, The Extermination of the European Jews, along with the books by Kay and Adler above (I will also get Seibel's and the Goldsteins' books at some point, when I win the lottery).

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Post by Jeff_36 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:38 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote: - I've recently received Bazyler and Tuerkheimer, Forgotten Trials of the Holocaust, which is next on my reading list
holy {!#%@}' {!#%@} statman the Fedorenko trial is featured in that book! :wedgie:

IIRC Fedoranko at no point denied that TII was an extermination camp, despite being tried in an American court, with a lawyer, and with his literal life on the line.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Reviving this old goofball performance from David on the KLs - for anyone with a real interest in further exportation of issues in the history of the camps . . . :
David wrote:And I said that Revisionists agree with revisions made to Holocaust Belief...not with most of the arguments made in the various books.

The example was Evans' article last month-

Take the opening-
In the popular imagination, the Nazi concentration camp now features mainly as a place where Jews were taken to be gassed. In a recent German opinion poll, most respondents associated the camps with the persecution and murder of Jews; under 10 percent mentioned other categories of camp prisoners, such as Communists, criminals, or homosexuals. The power of the “Holocaust” as a concept has all but obliterated other aspects of the crimes of the Nazis and the sufferings of their victims and driven the history of the camps from cultural memory.

Revisionists agree with that statement on popular history- . . .
So in the past few months I've read some books about the KLs which are very good and which, taken together, will show how pathetic is David's cherrypicking - these works provide no comfort for deniers and no support for denial. Revisionists will not, contra David, agree with the conclusions reached in - and supported by - the works below. Reading these alongside David's silly commentary and the pompously inept witterings of recently imprisoned neo-Nazi Ursula Haverbeck is high comedy. I recommend these books without reserve, all of them well worth the price of admission:

* Christopher Dillon, Dachau & the SS: A Schooling in Violence - this is a study of the SS at Dachau, the Dachau model, and the ideology and group dynamics among the Deaths Head units, fits very nicely with Theweleit's still-groundbreaking but more general Male Fantasies, Theweleit's 2 volumes being among the best things I've read on our painful topic

* Timothy W. Ryback, Hitler's First Victims: The Quest for Justice - makes a good companion to Dillon, covering the early murders in Dachau and the investigations of those murders by the Bavarian judiciary, especially the efforts of deputy prosecutor Josef Hartinger (which also kind of leads into the book by Pauer-Studer on Konrad Morgen, as the eventual SS assumption of judicial responsibility for itself, in reaction to the judiciary of the Third Reich, forms the background for Pauer-Studer's study of Morgen)

* Kim Wünschmann, Before Auschwitz: Jewish Prisoners in the Prewar Concentration Camps - a monograph on Jews in the KLs during the 1930s (as I explained in the What Do Deniers Deny? thread, our deniers have been disingenuous in citing this work and also show their lack of grasp on fundamental issues through their comments - this is a very important book IMO)

* Elissa Maïlander, Female SS Guards and Workaday Violence: The Majdanek Concentration Camp, 1942-1944 - I've summarized some key points from this book in the Majdanek thread, it is an excellent study of female guards which traces their recruitment and training at Ravensbrück - a kind of female parallel to the Dachau School for SS guards - and then focuses on the employment and work of female guards at Majdanek, thus also providing an overview for and strong explanations of events at that camp

* Sarah Helm, Ravensbruck: Life and Death in Hitler's Concentration Camp for Women - a detailed study of Ravensbrück relying on a wealth of testimonial and other fresh evidence; interesting from the angles of gender (good companion book for Maïlander) as well as for a general history of Ravensbrück, medical experiments, and gas chambers in the KLs

* Marc Buggeln, lave Labor in Nazi Concentration Camps - deceptive title, great book on the Neuengamme subcamp system, with a "revisionist" thesis on extermination through labor and the Final Solution, good comparative material placing Neuengamme system alongside other camps

* Nicholas Wachsmann, KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps - brilliant - this one's an undoubted masterwork; if you read one of these books, make it this one, which is a comprehensive history of the KLs - well written, chock full of insights, great material on basic issues as well as the emergence of the Final Solution

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote: - I've recently received Bazyler and Tuerkheimer, Forgotten Trials of the Holocaust, which is next on my reading list
holy {!#%@}' {!#%@} statman the Fedorenko trial is featured in that book! :wedgie:

IIRC Fedoranko at no point denied that TII was an extermination camp, despite being tried in an American court, with a lawyer, and with his literal life on the line.
Bazyler & Tuerkheimer highlight what they deem the single most important theme that emerges from their study of the 10 "forgotten" postwar trials: defendants contesting the charges they faced on the grounds of duress, superior orders, absence, mistaken identity, tu quoque, or ignorance of the crimes - but not on the ground that the offenses (mass murder, atrocities, starvation, brutal mistreatment, etc) never occurred.

On Treblinka, relative to the Fedorenko trial, they briefly summarize a testimony from 1950 in the USSR, given by one of Fedorenko's fellow Trawniki's, Korotkey, also a Ukrainian guard at Treblinka. Fedorenko had planned to call Korotkey as an exonerating witness (the trial judge rejected hearing 6 such witnesses and found in Fedorenko's favor without their testimony). Bazyler & Tuerkheimer say that a copy of Korotkey's interrogation by a Ukrainian state-security interrogator shows that his testimony implicated Fedorenko in the crimes at Treblinka, undermined his sworn testimony in 1978, and gave "detail only either a survivor or participant could know" about the arrival through murder process at Treblinka, including Fedorenko's exact responsibilities and behavior in that process. pp 271-272 I surely wish I could locate that interrogation protocol, but it appears to be only in a Soviet case file, not online. As you say, Fedorenko, asked specifically about the gas chambers, testified he didn't go near them (but that he sometimes could see them from his duty post, at a guard tower, in the lower camp), not that they didn't exist or weren't used to kill Jews at the camp. p 263

nickterry
Regular Poster

Post by nickterry » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

Bazyler & Tuerkheimer highlight what they deem the single most important theme that emerges from their study of the 10 "forgotten" postwar trials: defendants contesting the charges they faced on the grounds of duress, superior orders, absence, mistaken identity, tu quoque, or ignorance of the crimes - but not on the ground that the offenses (mass murder, atrocities, starvation, brutal mistreatment, etc) never occurred.

On Treblinka, relative to the Fedorenko trial, they briefly summarize a testimony from 1950 in the USSR, given by one of Fedorenko's fellow Trawniki's, Korotkey, also a Ukrainian guard at Treblinka. Fedorenko had planned to call Korotkey as an exonerating witness (the trial judge rejected hearing 6 such witnesses and found in Fedorenko's favor without their testimony). Bazyler & Tuerkheimer say that a copy of Korotkey's interrogation by a Ukrainian state-security interrogator shows that his testimony implicated Fedorenko in the crimes at Treblinka, undermined his sworn testimony in 1978, and gave "detail only either a survivor or participant could know" about the arrival through murder process at Treblinka, including Fedorenko's exact responsibilities and behavior in that process. pp 271-272 I surely wish I could locate that interrogation protocol, but it appears to be only in a Soviet case file, not online. As you say, Fedorenko, asked specifically about the gas chambers, testified he didn't go near them (but that he sometimes could see them from his duty post, at a guard tower, in the lower camp), not that they didn't exist or weren't used to kill Jews at the camp. p 263
Korotkikh, I think you'll find - and it is online.
http://www.nizkor.org/ftp.cgi/people/k/ ... otkikh.001

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks, this is quite good stuff IMO, kicking myself for not being familiar with it before, Bazyler & Tuerkheimer spelling kind of wrecked my search. For those not wishing to click and read the whole thing, here is the pertinent portion of Korotkikh's interrogation 1950 testimony, which, despite a some misnomers (200 Jewish prisoners, Franz's role, etc), is quite interesting (Franz's promoted rank is right, the original and new gas chambers are described, and so on):
In the spring of 1942, I do not recall the month, after completing the SS school for guards, together with a group of selected guards comprising some 30 men among whom Fedorkenko, Krivenko, Prisch, Dudniko and others of the Trawniki school, I was sent to the city of Lublin (Poland) to guard a concentration camp situated at the edge of the city of Lublin. As I learned later, individuals of Jewish nationality had been held there, but by the time of our arrival, they had been taken away, where to I do not know, and there were no prisoners left in the camp.

We stayed there for about four days without occupation, then we were taken back to the camp in Trawniki where I stayed until the fall of 1942 and underwent training. After this I was sent to the little town of Treblinka, where there was a camp especially destined for the mass extermination of Jews and which was called the "death camp."

After my arrival at the little town of Treblinka, I was put into an SS sentry team. I served in this camp until November 1943, that is until the liquidation of the Treblinka camp.

Question: What was the Treblinka camp really like?

Answer: The Treblinka camp in which I served as a guard was a "death camp."

Mass extermination of Jews in special gas chambers took place in this camp. It was situated in a forest. A highway passed about half a kilometer from it, and the village of Wulka was located some two kilometers away. The entire territory of the camp was fenced in with barbed wire camouflaged with interwoven branches. Iron anti-tank obstacles intertwined with barbed wire were placed around the camp some fifty meters from the barbed wire, thus making it impossible to approach the camp.

Four watch towers manned by sentries from among the guards stood between the barbed wire barriers and the anti-tank obstacles.

The camp had two gates. Through one passed the railroad branch coming from Treblinka station and on which trains bringing in the doomed prisoners arrived. The second gate served to bring in suppolies and adjacent to it stood a sentry box. All these entrances were also guarded by the wachman guards.

At the entrance to the camp, to the right, stood the barrack in which the Germans numbering some 50 persons were housed. These, and the entire exterminating enterprise were under the command of the camp Commander, Untersturmfu"hrer Franz.

At the entrance to the camp, to the left, stood a building in which was located the German headquarters of the camp. Four barracks situated behind the headquarters served as quarters of the guards. The barber shop and the dining room in which the guards and the Germans who serviced the camp ate, were located in the same building.

The territory of these barracks and the headquarters were fenced off with barbed wire from the main area of the camp. Beyond the fence, on the left, in two large barracks, was quartered the co-called "working crew" numbering some 200 people of Jewish nationality, selected by the Germans from among the people to be exterminated.

Beyond the barracks, near the railroad, there were two more barracks intended for the initial stay of people unloaded from the trains and they served at the same time as "undressing places". Both were fenced in with one row of barbed wire. From the undressing place, a narrow passage made of barbed wire led to the gas chambers building, or, as it was called, the "bathhouse."

At the end of the camp there stood a barrack which served as storage place for the belongings of the exterminated prisoners. Behind the gas chambers building there were large pits into which the people killed were dumped and then burned in special incinerators. Until about the summer of 1943 there was only one gas chambers building with three gas chambers, but later, because of the insufficient capacity of the building, another one with six chambers was built alongside the first. While filling the chambers with prisoners, the Germans beat them up with whips to force them to press together closer and thus make it possible for more people to be crowded inside the gas chambers. The filled-up rooms were immediately hermetically closed. ... the people inside died. Some 20-30 minutes later the doors were opened and the working crew consisting of Jews immediately started to unload the bodies from the chambers....

In November 1943, in connection with the liquidation of the Treblinka camp, I was assigned to the city of Stutthof (Germany) where until the end of the summer or the beginning of the fall of 1944 I served as guard of a concentration camp.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:31 pm

A friend shared this partial list of recent works on the Holocaust published in English - it's from the Holocaust Education Foundation at Northwestern University. Some titles haven't yet come out (?), and some important titles (a number of which we've discussed) are missing.

Among the important unlisted books are
- Kitchen (Speer)
- Helm (Ravensbrück)
- Bazyler & Tuerkheimer (postwar trials)
- Opoczynski & Zelkowicz (ghetto reporters, Warsaw and Łódź)
- Gerhard (hunger plan and food politics)
- David-Fox, Holquist & Martin (Holocaust in occupied USSR)
- Eisenstein, Pelt, Mitchell, Rubin & Sutnik (Henryk Ross's Łódź ghetto photographs)
- Ryback (early Dachau murders)
- Pauer-Studer (Konrad Morgen)
- Stargardt (German home front war and Holocaust)
- Wünschmann (KLs before the war)
- Epstein (confronting myths of the Holocaust)
- Mailänder (Aufseherinnen at Majdanek)
- Buggeln (Neuengamme subcamp systems and KL labor)
Adams, Jenni. Representing Perpetrators in Holocaust Literature and Film. Reprint (June 30, 2015). Edgware, Middlesex: Vallentine Mitchell, 2015.

Aizenberg, Edna. On the Edge of the Holocaust : The Shoah in Latin American Literature and Culture. Waltham, MA: Brandeis University Press, 2015.

Bartov, Omer. Erased : Vanishing Traces of Jewish Galicia in Present-Day Ukraine. Paperback. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2015.

———. The Holocaust : Origins, Implementation, Aftermath. Second edition. New York: Routledge, 2015.

Berg, Nicolas. The Holocaust and the West German Historians : Historical Interpretation and Autobiographical Memory. Madison, WI: The University of Wisconsin Press, 2015.

Bikont, Anna. The Crime and the Silence : A Quest for the Truth of a Wartime Massacre. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2015.

Boase-Beier, Jean. Translating the Poetry of the Holocaust : Translation, Style and the Reader. New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

* Brown, Adam. Judging “Privileged” Jews: Holocaust Ethics, Representation, and the “Grey Zone.” New York: Berghahn Books, 2013.

Browning, Christopher, Michael Marrus, Susannah Heschel, and Milton Shain, eds.Holocaust Scholarship : Personal Trajectories and Professional Interpretations. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.

Budick, E Miller. The Subject of Holocaust Fiction. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2015.

Cesarani, David. Final Solution : The Fate of the Jews 1933-1949. London: Macmillan, 2015.

Chapman, Jane, Dan Ellin, and Adam Sherif. Comics, the Holocaust and Hiroshima. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.

Cohen, Robert Z. Jewish Resistance against the Holocaust. First edition. New York: Rosen Publishing, 2015.

* Confino, Alon. A World without Jews : The Nazi Imagination from Persecution to Genocide. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2015.

Cussans, Thomas, and Mémorial de la Shoah. The Holocaust. London: Andre Deutsch, 2015.

* Dillon, Christopher. Dachau and the SS : A Schooling in Violence. First edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.

Douglas, Lawrence. The Right Wrong Man : John Demjanjuk and the Last Great Nazi War Crimes Trial. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2015.

Echternkamp, Jörg, Ralf Blank, and Derry Cook-Radmore, eds. Germany and the Second World War. Politicization, Disintegration, and the Struggle for Survival. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.

Garrett, Leah. Young Lions: How Jewish Authors Reinvented the American War Novel. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 2015.

Glenn, Susan. The Jewish Cold War: Anxiety and Identity in the Aftermath of the Holocaust. Ann Arbor, MI: Jean & Samuel Frankel Center for Judaic Studies, 2015.

Głowacka-Penczyńska, Anetta. The First to Be Destroyed: The Jewish Community of Kleczew and the Beginning of the Final Solution. Brighton, MA: Academic Studies Press, 2015.

Gonshak, Henry. Hollywood and the Holocaust. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.

Gray, Michael. Teaching the Holocaust: Practical Approaches for Ages 11-18. New York: Routledge, 2015.

Gross, Zehavit, and Doyle Stevick. As the Witnesses Fall Silent : 21st Century Holocaust Education in Curriculum, Policy and Practice. New York: Springer International Publishing, 2015.

* Gruner, Wolf, and Jörg Osterloh. The Greater German Reich and the Jews : Nazi Persecution Policies in the Annexed Territories 1935-1945. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015.

Hayes, Peter. How Was It Possible?: A Holocaust Reader. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 2015.

Heberer, Patricia. Children during the Holocaust. Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press in association with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, 2015.

Heuman, Johannes. The Holocaust and French Historical Culture, 1945-65. London; New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.

Hughes, Judith. The Holocaust and the Revival of Psychological History. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015.

Ionescu, Ștefan. Jewish Resistance to “Romanianization”, 1940-44. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.

Jilovsky, Esther. Remembering the Holocaust: Generations, Witnessing and Place. London; New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

* Jockusch, Laura. Collect and Record!: Jewish Holocaust Documentation in Early Postwar Europe. [Place of publication not identified]: Oxford University Press, 2015.

Jockusch, Laura, Gabriel N Finder, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum,Jewish Honor Courts: Revenge, Retribution, and Reconciliation in Europe and Israel after the Holocaust. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University Press, 2015.

Karn, Alexander. Amending the Past: Europe’s Holocaust Commissions and the Right to History. Madison, WI: The University of Wisconsin Press, 2015.

Kékesi, Zoltán. Agents of Liberation: Holocaust Memory in Contemporary Art and Documentary Film. Budapest; New York: Central European University Press, 2015.

* Kerenji, Emil, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Jewish Responses to Persecution. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.

Knittel, Susanne, and Modern Language Initiative. The Historical Uncanny: Disability, Ethnicity, and the Politics of Holocaust Memory. First edition. New York: Fordham University Press, 2015.

Kornberg, Jacques. The Pope’s Dilemma: Pius XII Faces Atrocities and Genocide in the Second World War. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2015.

Lindeberg, Sahra. The Jewish Press: A Gevalt from the Torah True : An Examination of the Concepts of Holocaust and Israel in the American Jewish Newspaper, the Jewish Press. First edition. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang Academic Research, 2015.

Lipszyc, Rywka, Anita Friedman, Małgorzata Markoff, and Ewa Wiatr. Rywka’s Diary: The Writings of a Jewish Girl from the Lodz Ghetto, Found at Auschwitz in 1945 and Published Seventy Years Later. First edition. New York: Harper, 2015.

Magilow, Daniel, and Lisa Silverman. Holocaust Representations in History: An Introduction. London; New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

Marrus, Michael. Lessons of the Holocaust. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2015.

* Matthäus, Jürgen, and Frank Bajohr. The Political Diary of Alfred Rosenberg and the Onset of the Holocaust. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.

Modiano, Patrick, and Joanna Kilmartin. Dora Bruder. First paperback printing, 2015. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 2015.

Mueller, Agnes. The Inability to Love: Jews, Gender, and America in Recent German Literature. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 2015.

O’Brien, Mahon. Heidegger, History, and the Holocaust. London; New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

Ostrower, Chaya. It Kept Us Alive: Humor in the Holocaust. Jerusalem: Yad va-Shem International Institute for Holocaust Research, 2015.

Petö, Andrea. Women and the Holocaust: New Perspectives and Challenges. First edition. Warsaw: Instytut Badań Literackich PAN, 2015.

Popescu, Diana, and Tanja Schult. Revisiting Holocaust Representation in the Post-Witnessing Era. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.

Prager, Brad. After the Fact: The Holocaust in Twenty-First Century Documentary Film. New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

Raim, Edith. Nazi Crimes against Jews and German Post-War Justice: The West German Judicial System during Allied Occupation (1945-1949). Berlin; Munich; Boston; De Gruyter Oldenbourg, 2015.

Rapson, Jessica. Topographies of Suffering: Buchenwald, Babi Yar, Lidice. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015.

Rayski, Adam, François Bédarida, William Sayers, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The Choice of the Jews under Vichy: Between Submission and Resistance. Pbk ed. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2015.

Rosenfeld, Gavriel. Hi Hitler!: How the Nazi Past Is Being Normalized in Contemporary Culture. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2015.

Roth, John. The Failures of Ethics: Confronting the Holocaust, Genocide, and Other Mass Atrocities. First edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.

Sanyal, Debarati. Memory and Complicity: Migrations of Holocaust Remembrance. First edition. New York: Fordham University Press, 2015.

Sarid, A, and Veronica Belling. There Was Once a Home– : Memories of the Lithuanian Shtetls Published in the Afrikaner Idishe Tsaytung – African Jewish Newspaper, 1952-54. Cape Town: Isaac and Jessie Kaplan Centre for Jewish Studies and Research., 2015.

Schrafstetter, Susanna, and Steinweis, Alan E. The Germans and the Holocaust: Popular Responses to the Persecution and Murder of the Jews. New York, NY: Berghahn Books, 2015.

Shapiro, Paul. The Kishinev Ghetto, 1941-1942: A Documentary History of the Holocaust in Romania’s Contested Borderlands. Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama Press, 2015.

Sharples, Caroline. Postwar Germany and the Holocaust. New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

Shenker, Noah. Reframing Holocaust Testimony. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2015.

Silverman, Maxim. Palimpsestic Memory: The Holocaust and Colonialism in French and Francophone Fiction and Film. First paperback edition. New York; Oxford: Berghahn Books, 2015.

Silverstein, Jordana. Anxious Histories: Narrating the Holocaust in Jewish Communities at the Beginning of the Twenty-First Century. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015.

Sion, Brigitte. Memorials in Berlin and Buenos Aires: Balancing Memory, Architecture, and Tourism. New York; London: Lexington Books, 2015.

Snyder, Timothy. Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning. First edition. New York: Tim Duggan Books, 2015.

* Stangneth, Bettina. Eichmann before Jerusalem: The Unexamined Life of a Mass Murderer. New York: Vintage, 2015.

Steinhart, Eric Conrad, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The Holocaust and the Germanization of Ukraine. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015.

Stier, Oren Baruch. Holocaust Icons: Symbolizing the Shoah in History and Memory. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2015.

Stone, Dan. The Holocaust and Historical Methodology. First paperback edition. New Haven, CT: YUP New Haven and London, 2015.

———. The Liberation of the Camps: The End of the Holocaust and Its Aftermath. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015.

Sturdy Colls, Caroline. Holocaust Archaeologies: Approaches and Future Directions. New York: Springer International Publishing, 2015.

Szarota, Tomasz, and Tristan Korecki. On the Threshold of the Holocaust : Anti-Jewish Riots and Pogroms in Occupied Europe: Warsaw, Paris, The Hague, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Kaunas. First edition. New York: Peter Lang, 2015.

* Venezia, Shlomo, Béatrice Prasquier, Simone Veil, Marcello Pezzetti, Umberto Gentiloni, Jean Mouttapa, Andrew Brown, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press, 2015.

* Wachsmann, Nikolaus. KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps. First edition. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2015.

Walke, Anika. Pioneers and Partisans: An Oral History of Nazi Genocide in Belorussia. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015.

Weindling, Paul. Victims and Survivors of Nazi Human Experiments: Science and Suffering in the Holocaust. London; New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

Winik, Jay. 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History. First Simon & Schuster hardcover edition. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2015.

Wlodarski, Amy. Musical Witness and Holocaust Representation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2015.

Wolff-Powęska, Anna. Memory as Burden and Liberation: Germans and Their Nazi Past (1945-2010). Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2015.

Zapruder, Alexandra. Salvaged Pages: Young Writers’ Diaries of the Holocaust. Second edition. New Haven, CT; London: Yale University Press, 2015.

* Zimmerman, Joshua. The Polish Underground and the Jews, 1939-1945. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
Combined, I count ~85 books. I wonder how many of these, a subsection of what's been published in English only in the past year or so, we've collectively read. And, by contrast, how many the forum's deniers, if any still exist, have read.

The point that this tally will drive home is how much there is - and how little we can digest of it all. ('fessing up, I've read fewer than a third of the titles - 25 by quick count, parts of 2 others - and heard papers on two occasions from another of the books listed)

nickterry
Regular Poster

Post by nickterry » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:49 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:A friend shared this partial list of recent works on the Holocaust published in English - it's from the Holocaust Education Foundation at Northwestern University. Some titles haven't yet come out (?), and some important titles (a number of which we've discussed) are missing.

<lists snipped>

Combined, I count ~85 books. I wonder how many of these, a subsection of what's been published in English only in the past year or so, we've collectively read. And, by contrast, how many the forum's deniers, if any still exist, have read.

The point that this tally will drive home is how much there is - and how little we can digest of it all. ('fessing up, I've read fewer than a third of the titles - 25 by quick count, parts of 2 others - and heard papers on two occasions from another of the books listed)
I can supplement the list still further, in English but also in German and some Polish - the German and Polish language titles are certainly a fraction of what was published in 2015, but do include most of the really major titles.

worldcat.org shows 1090 titles for 'Holocaust' published in 2015 in English, along with 414 in German. These however are deceptive figures, since the website usually has multiple listings for the same title. In English, 2 editions/listings of Timothy Snyder's Black Earth are included, while there are 9 overall. The total also includes reprints of both non-fiction and fiction (a Scott Mariani thriller, for example, shows up on p.1 of the search). The headline total of 1974 titles across all languages has 7 different translations or mis-dated editions by Wendy Lower, and 5 listings for the Rywka Lipszyc diary - 2 listings for English, 2 for German, 1 for Spanish.

The totals for 'Holocaust' will not of course then include titles without a subject classification or part of title that mentions Holocaust. Wachsmann's KL was so classified (there are 13 listings for Wachsmann's KL on the site, btw), but not all relevant books are.

Nancy Sprowell Geise, Auschwitz #34207: the Joe Rubinstein story: a remarkable journey of triumph and survival. Castle Rock, Colorado: Merry Dissonance Press, 2015
Simon Malkès, Der Gerechte aus der Wehrmacht: das Überleben der Familie Malkes in Wilna und die Suche nach Karl Plagge. Berlin: Metropol Verlag, 2014; Simon Malkès, The righteous of the Wehrmacht. Boston: Academic Studies Press, 2015
Thomas Lutz (ed), Killing sites: research and remembrance. Berlin: Metropol, 2015
Amos Goldberg; Haim Hazan (eds), Marking Evil: Holocaust Memory in the Global Age. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015
Winstone, Martin, The dark heart of Hitler's Europe : Nazi rule in Poland under the General Government. London : I.B. Tauris, 2015.
Adam Rosenblatt, Digging for the disappeared : forensic science after atrocity. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2015
Elisabeth Anstett; Jean-Marc Dreyfus (eds), Human remains and identification : mass violence, genocide and the 'forensic turn'. Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2015.
Alfred J Rieber, Stalin and the struggle for supremacy in Eurasia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015

and in German/Polish:

Bert Hoppe (ed), Die Verfolgung und Ermordung der europäischen Juden durch das nationalsozialistische Deutschland 1933-1945. Band 8: Sowjetunion mit annektierten Gebieten II: Generalkommissariat Weißruthenien und Reichskommissariat Ukraine. Berlin: De Gruyter Oldenbourg 2015
Katja Happe; Maja Peers (eds), Die Verfolgung und Ermordung der europäischen Juden durch das nationalsozialistische Deutschland 1933-1945, Band 12: West- und Nordeuropa, Juni 1942-1945. Berlin: De Gruyter Oldenbourg, 2015
Józef Gitler-Barski, Leben am seidenen Faden: Tagebuch aus dem Austauschlager Bergen-Belsen. Göttingen: Wallstein, 2015
Annette Schücking-Homeyer; Julia Paulus; Marion Röwekamp (eds), Eine Soldatenheimschwester an der Ostfront: Briefwechsel von Annette Schücking mit ihrer Familie (1941-1943). Paderborn: Ferdinand Schöningh, 2015
Boris Böhm (ed), "Wird heute nach einer Landes-Heil- und Pflegeanstalt in Sachsen überführt": die Ermordung ostpreußischer Patienten in der nationalsozialistischen Tötungsanstalt Pirna-Sonnenstein im Jahre 1941. Leipzig: Leipziger Uni-Vlg, 2015.
Enno Schwanke, Die Landesheil- und Pflegeanstalt Tiegenhof die nationalsozialistische Euthanasie in Polen während des Zweiten Weltkrieges. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2015
Wolfram Pyta, Hitler: der Künstler als Politiker und Feldherr; eine Herrschaftsanalyse. Munich: Siedler, 2015
Peter Longerich, Hitler: Biographie. Munich: Siedler, 2015
Meyer, Alwin, Vergiss Deinen Namen nicht: die Kinder von Auschwitz. Göttingen: Steidl, 2015
Lachendro, Jacek, Auschwitz po wyzwoleniu. Oświęcim: Państwowe Muzeum Auschwitz-Birkenau, 2015
Cywiński, Piotr, Początki Auschwitz w pamięci pierwszego transportu polskich więźniów politycznych. Oświęcim: Państwowe Muzeum Auschwitz-Birkenau, 2015
Matthias Gafke, Heydrichs “Ostmärker”: Das österreichische Führungspersonal der Sicherheitspolizei und des SD 1939-1945. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 2015
Angelika Benz, Handlanger der SS: Die Rolle der Trawniki-Männer im Holocaust. Berlin: Metropol, 2015
Kazimierz Krajewski, Na straconych posterunkach: Armia Krajowa na Kresach Wschodnich II Rzeczypospolitej. Kraków: Wydawnictwo Literackie, 2015
Joachim Tauber, Arbeit als Hoffnung: jüdische Ghettos in Litauen 1941-1944. Berlin: De Gruyter Oldenbourg, 2015
Andreas Weigelt; Klaus-Dieter Müller; Thomas Schaarschmidt; Mike Schmeitzner (eds), Todesurteile sowjetischer Militärtribunale gegen Deutsche (1944-1947): Eine historisch-biographische Studie. Göttingen : Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2015
Siegfried Grundmann, Georg Frentzel: PG und Angehöriger der SS-Einsatzgruppe B in der UdSSR: Genosse und Mitglied der Gesellschaft für Deutsch-Sowjetische Freundschaft. Berlin: NoRa, Novitäten & Raritäten, 2015
Georg Hoffmann: Fliegerlynchjustiz. Gewalt gegen abgeschossene alliierte Flugzeugbesatzungen 1943–1945. Paderborn: Ferdinand Schöningh, 2015
Dirk Kämper, Fredy Hirsch und die Kinder des Holocaust: die Geschichte eines vergessenen Helden aus Deutschland. Zürich: Orell Füssli Verlag, 2015
Stefan Hördler, Ordnung und Inferno: das KZ-System im letzten Kriegsjahr. Göttingen: Wallstein, 2015
Gideon Greif; Itamar Levin, Aufstand in Auschwitz : die Revolte des jüdischen" Sonderkommandos"am 7. Oktober 1944. Köln : Böhlau, 2015
Svenja Bethke, Tanz auf Messers Schneide : Kriminalität und Recht in den Ghettos Warschau, Litzmannstadt und Wilna. Hamburg : Hamburger Edition, 2015
Annika Wienert, Das Lager vorstellen : die Architektur der nationalsozialistischen Vernichtungslager. Berlin : Neofelis Verlag, 2015
Susanne Willems, Auschwitz : die Geschichte des Vernichtungslagers. Berlin : Edition Ost, 2015

The following 21 titles from StatMech's original list of 85 books appeared in previous editions, actually appeared in 2014 or were translated - I'd read them all previously. This includes the simultaneously translated Rosenberg diaries.

David-Fox, Holquist & Martin (Holocaust in occupied USSR) - a collection of journal articles from Kritika
Mailänder (Aufseherinnen at Majdanek)
Buggeln (Neuengamme subcamp systems and KL labor)
Bartov, Omer. Erased : Vanishing Traces of Jewish Galicia in Present-Day Ukraine. Paperback. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2015.
———. The Holocaust : Origins, Implementation, Aftermath. Second edition. New York: Routledge, 2015.
Bazyler & Tuerkheimer (postwar trials) - actually 2014
Bikont, Anna. The Crime and the Silence : A Quest for the Truth of a Wartime Massacre. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2015.
Berg, Nicolas. The Holocaust and the West German Historians : Historical Interpretation and Autobiographical Memory. Madison, WI: The University of Wisconsin Press, 2015.
Confino, Alon. A World without Jews : The Nazi Imagination from Persecution to Genocide. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2015. - 2014
Rosenfeld, Gavriel. Hi Hitler!: How the Nazi Past Is Being Normalized in Contemporary Culture. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2015.- 2014
Echternkamp, Jörg, Ralf Blank, and Derry Cook-Radmore, eds. Germany and the Second World War. Politicization, Disintegration, and the Struggle for Survival. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
Gruner, Wolf, and Jörg Osterloh. The Greater German Reich and the Jews : Nazi Persecution Policies in the Annexed Territories 1935-1945. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015.
Jockusch, Laura. Collect and Record!: Jewish Holocaust Documentation in Early Postwar Europe. [Place of publication not identified]: Oxford University Press, 2015. (actually 2012 originally)
Matthäus, Jürgen, and Frank Bajohr. The Political Diary of Alfred Rosenberg and the Onset of the Holocaust. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
Rayski, Adam, François Bédarida, William Sayers, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The Choice of the Jews under Vichy: Between Submission and Resistance. Pbk ed. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2015.
Stangneth, Bettina. Eichmann before Jerusalem: The Unexamined Life of a Mass Murderer. New York: Vintage, 2015.
Stone, Dan. The Holocaust and Historical Methodology. First paperback edition. New Haven, CT: YUP New Haven and London, 2015.
Szarota, Tomasz, and Tristan Korecki. On the Threshold of the Holocaust : Anti-Jewish Riots and Pogroms in Occupied Europe: Warsaw, Paris, The Hague, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Kaunas. First edition. New York: Peter Lang, 2015.
Venezia, Shlomo, Béatrice Prasquier, Simone Veil, Marcello Pezzetti, Umberto Gentiloni, Jean Mouttapa, Andrew Brown, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press, 2015.
Zapruder, Alexandra. Salvaged Pages: Young Writers’ Diaries of the Holocaust. Second edition. New Haven, CT; London: Yale University Press, 2015

I have access to the following works from the original list, whether via my university library or because I bought the book myself. Some have been read cover to cover, some used, some only glanced at. Two I read as dissertations.

- Helm (Ravensbrück)
Gerhard (hunger plan and food politics)
Pauer-Studer (Konrad Morgen)
Stargardt (German home front war and Holocaust)
Wünschmann (KLs before the war)
Browning, Christopher, Michael Marrus, Susannah Heschel, and Milton Shain, eds.Holocaust Scholarship : Personal Trajectories and Professional Interpretations. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
Dillon, Christopher. Dachau and the SS : A Schooling in Violence. First edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
Heberer, Patricia. Children during the Holocaust. Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press in association with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, 2015.
Hughes, Judith. The Holocaust and the Revival of Psychological History. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
Ionescu, Ștefan. Jewish Resistance to “Romanianization”, 1940-44. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
Jockusch, Laura, Gabriel N Finder, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum,Jewish Honor Courts: Revenge, Retribution, and Reconciliation in Europe and Israel after the Holocaust. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University Press, 2015.
Kerenji, Emil, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Jewish Responses to Persecution. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
Kornberg, Jacques. The Pope’s Dilemma: Pius XII Faces Atrocities and Genocide in the Second World War. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2015.
Raim, Edith. Nazi Crimes against Jews and German Post-War Justice: The West German Judicial System during Allied Occupation (1945-1949). Berlin; Munich; Boston; De Gruyter Oldenbourg, 2015.
Shapiro, Paul. The Kishinev Ghetto, 1941-1942: A Documentary History of the Holocaust in Romania’s Contested Borderlands. Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama Press, 2015.
Snyder, Timothy. Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning. First edition. New York: Tim Duggan Books, 2015.
Steinhart, Eric Conrad, and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The Holocaust and the Germanization of Ukraine. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
Stone, Dan. The Liberation of the Camps: The End of the Holocaust and Its Aftermath. New York: Berghahn Books, 2015.
Sturdy Colls, Caroline. Holocaust Archaeologies: Approaches and Future Directions. New York: Springer International Publishing, 2015.
Wachsmann, Nikolaus. KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps. First edition. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2015.
Walke, Anika. Pioneers and Partisans: An Oral History of Nazi Genocide in Belorussia. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015.
Weindling, Paul. Victims and Survivors of Nazi Human Experiments: Science and Suffering in the Holocaust. London; New York: Bloombury Academic, 2015.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks - and my % duly drops significantly, as assumed! I've read only 1 of the additional English titles you listed (Winstone - and I don't know how I forgot that one . . . ) and exactly zero, as you'd imagine, of the German or Polish books. I should have added that I heard three papers from a 2nd title on the list (Jewish postwar honor courts) as well. (Indeed, the HEF list crosses a few years, counting paperback editions and the like as new '15 publications, weird.)

I’ve got the book on Demjanjuk on order as to my knowledge it won’t be released until later this month.

I’m also interested in the micro-studies of Kleczew and Kishinev as well as Raim’s book on postwar German justice and the Holocaust ($140 on Amazon, $85 used so I've passed!) and Schrafstetter and Steinweis on popular responses to the extermination of the Jews (doesn't appear to be listed in Amazon?). I see also a 2nd new book on Vichy . . . and I understand that there may be a new study of Auschwitz published this year . . .

I probably need to read Snyder’s book but don’t want to! I am already falling behind on 2016 and we aren't a week into the year yet . . .

I think a proper follow-up is deciding which books are the "must-reads" . . . I've already gone on record with Wachsmann as one. My others are Stangneth on Eichmann, Stargardt, the Rosenberg diary, Confino, and - just 'cuz - Maïlander's book on Majdanek (personal interest), Jockusch (early Jewish documentation efforts, again a personal interest), Pauer-Studer on Morgen (clarifying events and roles I'd never really understood). (I wish I could also recommend Zimmerman, but, although the book has some very useful information, it has major gaps . . . the topic - which includes early reporting on the Holocaust in Poland - is crucial, however, so that book disappointed me.)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:07 pm

Well today sucks. Yesterday, UPS alerted me that the Demjanjuk book I'd ordered from Amazon would arrive this afternoon. Indeed, in a freezing rain, a UPS delivery from Amazon was made. Excited, I opened the box, which seemed oddly huge and heavy. Inside I found, to my dismay, a 5 lb plastic container of some protein supplement. Who it was intended for, I have no clue. I am guessing that somewhere there's a 22-year-old gym rat just now wondering about the tiny package from Amazon - surely not big enough for the protein order - and, after opening it, trying to figure out who the {!#%@} Demjanjuk is and how a book on Demjanjuk is supposed to help him bulk up . . . crap, I have to find a different book to start reading today . . . maybe Faitelson's book on Lithuania, which has been staring at me for maybe 2 years . . .

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:32 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Well today sucks. Yesterday, UPS alerted me that the Demjanjuk book I'd ordered from Amazon would arrive this afternoon. Indeed, in a freezing rain, a UPS delivery from Amazon was made. Excited, I opened the box, which seemed oddly huge and heavy. Inside I found, to my dismay, a 5 lb plastic container of some protein supplement.
I can imagine the look on your face as you slowly opened the package. What would have taken great acting skills, would be for you to turn to your partner and say "Thank god they have finally arrived" and proceeded to to do push ups, on the spot, while commenting on Jean-Claude Van Damme's latest movie. :D

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Post by Jeff_36 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:21 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Well today sucks. Yesterday, UPS alerted me that the Demjanjuk book I'd ordered from Amazon would arrive this afternoon. Indeed, in a freezing rain, a UPS delivery from Amazon was made. Excited, I opened the box, which seemed oddly huge and heavy. Inside I found, to my dismay, a 5 lb plastic container of some protein supplement. Who it was intended for, I have no clue. I am guessing that somewhere there's a 22-year-old gym rat just now wondering about the tiny package from Amazon - surely not big enough for the protein order - and, after opening it, trying to figure out who the {!#%@} Demjanjuk is and how a book on Demjanjuk is supposed to help him bulk up . . . crap, I have to find a different book to start reading today . . . maybe Faitelson's book on Lithuania, which has been staring at me for maybe 2 years . . .
Since you have some supps right now by good fortune I recommend investing in some sets of kettlebells. They're super easy to use and I can attest that they yield results, the thirty and fifty pounders at least.....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Well today sucks. Yesterday, UPS alerted me that the Demjanjuk book I'd ordered from Amazon would arrive this afternoon. Indeed, in a freezing rain, a UPS delivery from Amazon was made. Excited, I opened the box, which seemed oddly huge and heavy. Inside I found, to my dismay, a 5 lb plastic container of some protein supplement.
I can imagine the look on your face as you slowly opened the package. What would have taken great acting skills, would be for you to turn to your partner and say "Thank god they have finally arrived" and proceeded to to do push ups, on the spot, while commenting on Jean-Claude Van Damme's latest movie. :D
LOL She is adamantly in favor of push-ups and just as adamantly opposed to supplements - so, indeed, I had some 'splainin' to do. She kept disbelieving my report of a mix-up at Amazon and, even after I printed out the return label and all, seems convinced that I really ordered supps!
Jeff_36 wrote:Since you have some supps right now by good fortune I recommend investing in some sets of kettlebells. They're super easy to use and I can attest that they yield results, the thirty and fifty pounders at least.....
Even at my advanced age, I go to the gym - no supps (and the ones that arrived yesterday are headed back to Amazon) - 5 days a week. I am constitutionally incapable of working out at home. Kettle bells I like, but not as much as I like BOSUs. I am so much in favor of BOSUs that I keep considering buying one - but they're a hundred bucks or something - and using it while watching news on TV . . . :)

I did start Faitelson's book, which is extremely poorly written BUT full of long excerpts from important testimonies and documents and reproductions of documents, newspaper articles, passages from books, and the like. It deals with the Holocaust in Kaunas, and Faitelson was a survivor of the IX Fort. I don't think Monstrous would like much what is said in the book about EK-3.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I did receive Douglas's Demjanjuk book; although looking forward to reading it, I've gotten quite dug into Faitelson's book, modestly entitled, The Truth and Nothing but the Truth: Jewish Resistance in Lithuania. The central portion of the book has two themes - first, SK1005 at the IX Fort at Kaunas (with a lengthy description of the work of the unit of 60+ in the IX Fort Kommando, organized into a Kommando of SK1005-B) and, second, the Kaunas ghetto underground. On the first topic, I've read accounts of the IX Fort SK unit but none as detailed as Faitelson. There's nothing earth-shattering so far about the Kaunas underground, nor its relations to Elkes and the Jewish Council in Kaunas - but the detail on the day to day is rewarding. A lot of material affirms the role of the ghetto police in the underground. There's also a very good section, with sources quoted, on the Reich Jews murdered at the IX Fort in November 1941.

The writing style (sometimes the author is called Alex Faitelson, sometimes Alte, sometimes "I") and organization are crazy, but the book is quite valuable - as I said, with a lot of long quotations from sources and facsimiles of key documents. Skimming ahead, it looks like Faitelson will get be dealing with Soviet and Jewish sources whom he thinks trim the truth about the period - one chapter is entitled "Forgery, Communist Style," and, no, the Jäger and Stahlecker reports and the EG reports are not the focus . . . rather the work of the SEC and Stalinists in "expunging" Jews from the victims of Nazi extermination actions. Monstrous would not like this book, but it is essential reading, along with Tory/Golub and the secret police history, for Kaunas.

So I plan to finish Faitelson before picking up Douglas.

PS - Faitelson just got even more interesting . . . wow . . . more later on why (hint: tough times for Monstrous and other SK1005 deniers . . . )

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 am

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:45 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:In publishing news . . .
I think that might be similar to Americans buying guys whenever any ban is looming - just get the thing now in case it is banned again!

It will be interesting to see if anyone actually manages to read the whole book...

Note; this first release has only 4,000 copies and ~15,000 orders (according to the article). About 20,000 books is really a tiny number by any standard.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:29 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:PS - Faitelson just got even more interesting . . . wow . . . more later on why (hint: tough times for Monstrous and other SK1005 deniers . . . )
Here.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 pm

Advance material for Cesarani's last book - Final Solution: The Fate of the Jews 1933-1949 - is very interesting. My copy should arrive next week, according to the slave-drivers at Amazon.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:53 pm

rense.com Eisenhower's german pow death camps .
by martin brech 1-28-2

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:15 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:rense.com Eisenhower's german pow death camps .
by martin brech 1-28-2
The Rense Organisation is a right wing, anti Jewish propaganda group.

Gorgeous, who claims the illuminati run the world, quotes the Rense Organisation all the time. She simply changes the word "Jews" for "Illuminati".

You have directly said you refuse to see African American psychiatrists, for your psychiatric problems, and want to live in a white gated community. It is not surprising you are now reading the Rense Organisation's propaganda.

I suggest you leave this forum and join the Stormfront Forum and tell them about your problems with "darkies" and your psychiatric illnesses. Stormfront and the Rense organisation work together. They will welcome you and listen to everything you say.
https://www.stormfront.org/forum/

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 am

thanks for the info - I had no idea about the story . figured should have someone else check it .
also have to admit I fell for it .
thanks for the other suggestions 2

so your saying people who are dumb enough to believe this stuff ;
should stay only on those sites and read only those stories ? :burn:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote: so your saying people who are dumb enough to believe this stuff ;
should stay only on those sites and read only those stories ?
This Skeptic Society forum, you are posting on now, promotes scientific debate and requires good evidence, to back up any claim made by a member. This is a science forum.

However, you simply want to say how bad psychiatrists and the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is without offering any evidence at all. Therefore, as you share views with the members of Stormfront and they don't use any evidence at all, you would be more at home on that forum.

Let's face it. No one on our Skeptic forum is ever going to join your crusade against psychiatrists or even think you are making any coherent posts. You will have more luck there. Psychiatric issues are a "big thing" for Stormfront members. :mrgreen:

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:02 am

interesting

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Post by Frank Hoffman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:17 am

Stat.Mech; My limited knowledge does not allow me to comment very often on the posts you provide on this website, but I want to let you know that I find a great deal of value in reading them. Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed information. I just purchased The German War by Stargardt; having lived in Germany for a while in the '70s and '80s, I have often wondered how such normal people could do such abnormal things.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:06 am

Much appreciated, thank you! I'm looking forward to hearing your reaction to Stargardt's book.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Cesarani arrived today - it is one fat book! Plan to finish Leon Wells' memoir of Lvov and his time in the Janowska camp, then spend time reading Cesarani slowly. Will update folks - hoping some are still reading besides Jeff, Frank H, and me! - on the book as I go.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:35 pm

OK, I plan to make running notes, as I said, on Cesarani. The book's nearly 1,000 pp, so bear with me.

Cesarani's introduction

The introduction has bad news for David with his make-believe "critique" scrambling commemorative and popular history, including educational outreach, on the one side, in with scholarship, on the other. Cesarani hits the problem hard, as has Balsamo here and elsewhere (me too!), writing in the 2nd paragraph of his introduction:
there is a yawning gulf between popular understanding of this history and current scholarship on the subject. This is hardly surprising given that most people acquire their knowledge of the Nazi past and the fate of the Jews through novels, films, or earnest but ill-informed lessons at school, which frequently rely on novels for young adults or their filmic versions. Misconceptions are reinforced by the edited and instrumentalized versions purveyed by campaigning bodies and the constellation of organizations devoted to education and commemoration. Although these efforts are made in good faith, they are subordinate to extraneous agendas, be it the desire to cultivate an inclusive national identity or the laudable determination to combat anti-Semitism, racism, homophobia and other forms of political, religious or ethnic intolerance. Some lazily draw on an outdated body of research, while others utilize state-of-the-art research but downplay inconvenient aspects of the newer findings. . . .
Much as Balsamo and others have tried explaining this, deniers like David try ignoring the scholarship to make headlines using, as Cesarani says, well-intentioned but outdated and ill-informed materials as though they're all we have and as though the represent a unified "Holocaust establishment's" findings. In Cesarani's description, a "standardized version" of the history has developed, despite the latest research (which emphasizes variation, contingency, inconsistency, greed, and conflict including amongst Jews), "under the rubric of The Holocaust in popular culture and education." Cesarani, by the way, is frank in criticizing himself for helping popularize a compact, neat, and "backshadowed" view of the history.

Cesarani's "reappraisal" begins by questioning the motive force of Nazi antisemitism and, if not discarding it, placing it into the context of Nazi militarism and conquest, particularly the course of the military campaigns of the second world war: "Ultimately, the course of the war rather than decisions within the framework of anti-Jewish policy triggered the descent into a Europe-wide genocide." In the introduction, IMO, Cesarani overstates the novelty of his thesis. He writes, "Unlike most previous narratives, this account contests whether Nazi anti-Jewish policy was systematic, consistent or even premeditated." But many other historians have contested precisely such a viewpoint. And Cesarani is far from the first scholar to emphasize the role of the Great War in formation of the Nazi outlook (Theweleit, Wildt, Ingrao, and so on) or to integrate German military history and the campaign against the Jews (Weinberg, Fritz). Cesarani's concept of a single war with dual aspects ("fighting two wars at the same time" - against the Allies/Jews) has been explored by others (very successfully by Herf and Stargardt and in introductory/survey fashion by McHale in Hitler's Shadow War: The Holocaust and World War II). That said, Cesarani's framework is IMO a good one, a comprehensive view of the Nazi movement, and the Third Reich, in the world in which is situated Judenpolitik.

Cesarani's references are principally to English works, which he says is to make them more accessible. It isn't clear early on where he's basing his conclusions on such works as opposed to his own archival research.

Here again I feel that Cesarani overplays his hand. He writes about Jewish reactions to Hitler's appointment as chancellor, concluding that for the most part German Jews were relatively equanimous about the change in government. He cites one exception - an Austrian Jew, the journalist Joseph Roth, with the implication that German Jews didn't intuit that bad things were to come.

Without stacking evidence and quotations that run counter to the one-sided view Cesarani presents, I will share one exemplary counter-narrative, that of Victor Klemperer. In Klemperer's famous diary, there is a pervasive sense in the entries following January 1933 of calamity with Hitler's assumption of office. Klemperer wrote as early as 27 March that already "prevalent is the term ‘international Jewry’,” with the attribution to global Jewry of attacks on Germany. A charge like this could mean only one thing to an observer like Klemperer: trouble coming. This sense of a calamitous core to National Socialism did not, for Klemperer, suddenly appear in 1933. Klemperer, understanding Hitler's movement, was already noting that with Hitler in power, the “distinction between "Aryan" and "non-Aryan" would govern everything.”

Even earlier, in February, Klemperer had written of his depressed mood and embitterment over the course of events, asking "Will the terror be tolerated and for how long?" And in early March: “What, up to election Sunday on March 5, I called terror, was a mild prelude. . . . Again, it's astounding how easily everything collapses . . . the wild prohibitions and acts of violence. And on top of that the never ending propaganda in the street, on the radio, etc. . . . The Horst Wessel Song between the announcements. -- An indignant denial, no harm will come to loyal Jews. Directly afterward the Central Association of Jewish Citizens in Thuringia is banned because it had criticized the government in 'Talmudic fashion' . . . Since then day after day commissioners appointed, provincial governments trampled underfoot, flags raised, buildings taken over, people shot, newspapers banned, etc., etc. . . . No one dares say anything anymore, everyone is afraid.”

And this, Klemperer, from February 21, 1933, less than a month after Hitler took office: "there's not a sound [of protest] from anyone and everyone's keeping his head down, Jewry most of all . . ." This comment of Klemperer's implies a very different mood amongst German Jews than Cesarani conveys ("it seemed to Jews as if nothing had changed at all"). For why would Jews in Dresden - Jews "most of all" - be keeping their heads down, embittered and depressed just weeks after Hitler's taking the chancellorship, if, as Cesarani says, they "showed little anxiety" and assumed that Hitler would be held in check?

Nor was there a sense of surprise in Klemperer's reflections, only the sad recognition of what he took to be inevitably negative developments to come from a government headed by Hitler. National Socialist discourse--including Aryan blood percentages, the Volk against the non-Aryans, viciously anti-Semitic jokes, restrictions against Jews in the universities, death threats--was no mystery to Klemperer or other German Jews "keeping their heads down": immediately after Hitler became chancellor he was bracing himself for what he knew, from knowing the Nazis, was gathering.

Many historians - I recall an essay by Ulrich Herbert on this - have tried decoupling 1920s and early 1930s National Socialist violence (rhetorical and physical) from the Jewish policy to come, and Cesarani seems to write his brief section on January-February 1933 in that vein, I think. Here the stick is being bent too far back from tidier historiography that is overly connected and linear.

My sense is that, as he did in his introduction, Cesarani is stacking the deck a bit to overemphasize contingency and surprise and underplay ideology. That many contemporaries misread the situation - lacking knowledge of Hitler and his party, applying lessons from other times and situations - is no reason for us to do so: the lack of a straight line from 1933 to 1941 is one thing, saying that it was impossible reasonably to predict any significant part of the Nazi agenda in power is another. It is a truism, relying on the use of the word "accurately," to write that "No one in January 1933 could accurately assess the nature of the new regime, let alone how it would develop in the future or what it would deliver." As to the nature of the regime, I cannot think, however, based on the Party's program, rhetoric, record, and behavior, how a historian would imagine that it might have involved expanded democratic rights, defense of the Republic, protections for minorities especially the Jews, support for the socialist or communist labor movements, a weak policy toward France and the Allies, etc.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Post by Jeff_36 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:41 pm

Do you get the impression that Cesarani is doing a hint of apologia here? I am getting hints of the old "Judea declares war" canard in his section of Febuary/March 1933