General Books/Reading Discussion

Discussions
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 pm

I am not going to type out a detailed post on this point but it is worth mentioning that, in their descriptions of the defenses offered by accused perpetrators in the Polish trials, Finder & Prusin show that, with a few exceptions, the defendants did not contest that the crimes charged had been committed. Rather, they argued their individual lack of responsibility - "it happened, but I didn't do it."

Typical arguments were that others were responsible - there was a great deal of finger pointing, that lines of authority had them doing things other than deportations and executions - and if they were involved in deportations, they didn't know the purpose, that their tasks were circumscribed, that they themselves were benevolent or assisted Jews, that any shootings were for breaches of rules and carried out under proper protocols, or that they had been involved in limited actions under duress or because of superior orders.

They testified in a way that would lead an unknowledgeable observer to conclude that the Nazi occupations authorities were tightly compartmentalized, links across departments didn't exist, and networking was unheard of. Their defenses almost invariably failed, with the various courts finding only in a handful of cases that the accused was actually out of the loop.

The most memorable of the pleas, to my mind, was that of Franz Konrad, of the Werterfassung stationed in Warsaw, who, first, depicted Stroop as a fanatical anti-Semite and blood-soaked criminal and, second, accounted for his accompanying Stroop during the suppression of the Warsaw ghetto uprising as aimed at collecting "proof against Stroop." At one point he told the court, "I was not active, I took photos." This official of the Einsatz Reinhard operation, involved in the collection and distribution of goods taken from the victims, insisted to the court that he had never heard of Treblinka until after the Warsaw ghetto had been liquidated in spring 1943.
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:01 am

Got caught up re-reading Richard Evan’s “The Coming of the Third Reich.” I’ll finish that shortly and then get on with Bloxham or Aly.
“They say..that in Slonim they gathered in the town square 14,000 people...and all were machine-gunned. I ask you, is it possible to believe such a thing?...How can the world remain silent? It is probably not true.”
Calel Perechodnik, Polish Jew, 1942

https://twitter.com/jonronson/status/10 ... 24832?s=21

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:39 am

Hanebrink states the problem he seeks to address in A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism as follows:
Communism is gone, but the idea of Judeo-Bolshevism refuses to go away. This book is an attempt to understand why.
Hanebrink sees Judeo-Bolshevism as an idea drawing on 19th century and early (even medieval) roots, developing in the wake of WWI among nationalists and on the right. He quotes Shulamit Volkov in arguing that the idea "functioned as a sign 'of cultural identity, of one's belonging to a specific cultural camp.'" As a cultural code and particular, long-running discourse, Judeo-Bolshevism, in Hanebrink's view, is a version of anti-Semitism and a malleable construction (even a fantasy) used for political purposes by nationalists in a variety of contexts, stressing different elements of the idea (and oftentimes targeting non-Bolsheviks and non-Jews). One context in which accusations of Judeo-Bolshevism emerged, and was deployed, involved what Hanebrink calls "sovereignty panics" during and following WWI (during the war, accusations of Jewish spying for Germany were rife; during the early postwar years the nature of Jewish subversion alleged shifted east, to Russia).

Hanebrink argues that the myth of Judeo-Bolshevism weaves together three important strands, drawn from "anti-Jewish thought": 1) the association of Jews with subversion, disruption, the dissolution of social order, and satanic dystopias, 2) belief in a powerful, international Jewish conspiracy, and 3) fears of "Jewish fanaticism . . . 'an essentially messianic people' who inevitably played a 'subversive role in the world' [and] became the 'most active ferment of revolution' . . ."

Hanebrink argues that nationalists, Catholic, and right-wing networks disseminated the idea of Judeo-Bolshevism during the interwar period so intensively that the idea took root, as a reality.

Reading the book, you will get some "debunking" (e.g., a short biographical sketch of Bela Kun shows that, whilst his father was Jewish, Kun was raised as a Calvinist; background on Robert Wilton, explains that, before his writing on Judeo-Bolshevism, Wilton was a journalist who admired Russian elites) but Hanebrink points readers elsewhere (e.g., to Gerrits) for data and debunking, focusing his narrative on the origins and evolution of the "myth" that "Jews had created and supported Bolshevism and were therefore responsible for its crimes." And looking at the various nationalist groups and leaders who deployed the code and used it to further their political goals.

More, as appropriate, in the Jewish-Bolshevism thread . . .

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I went to the annual Hilberg lecture last night, a discussion of the trial of Klaus Barbie back in 1987 in the light of French antisemitism. Not that any of you are likely to need reminding of all this, but here is the background of French involvement in the Holocaust, and here is a link to Barbie himself.

The lecturer, JA Goda of the University of Florida, painted this guy as the villain of the piece. He was indeed a slimy piece of work, and an indication of the extent to which antisemitism in France is largely a left-wing phenomenon, whereas in the US, there is a fashionable anti-Israel attitude on the left, which sometimes combines with an inability to distinguish between Jews and Israel, but the main, virulent and violent strain of it comes from the nativist Right Wing. Gerry Jacobson, one of Raul Hilberg’s former students, opened the evening, before the talk began by calling attention to the fact that 12 people were murdered in Pittsburgh two weeks ago simply for being Jews. And he quoted Raul, asking, “When will it stop?” Good question.

Certainly, Vergès was the worst kind of demagogue. As one account of the trial puts it, “Barbie’s lawyers seemed more intent on putting France and Israel on trial than in proving their client’s innocence, and on July 4, 1987, he was found guilty.” He had a history of defending those who resisted French colonialism, such as Djamila Bouhired, and that was his aim, as if French guilt = Nazi innocence. The worst thing he did was challenge the authenticity of the main document used to convict Barbie. He himself cited a spurious document claiming that 15,000 Algerian children had been kidnapped by the French, and on that basis argued that the 44 children kidnapped from Izieux and sent to Auschwitz to be murdered was not even comparable. When the spurious nature of his evidence was pointed out, he immediately got on his feet and claimed a perfect symmetry between his own “evidence” and the document with Barbie’s signature that reported the deportations.

He made his final summary in a grandstand manner and expected that it would be in the headlines for several days while the judges debated. He was furious when they returned a verdict of guilty only a few hours after he finished, depriving him of those headlines. He recovered later and rationalized his defeat by saying that Lantzmann’s “Shoah” was being shown the last three days of the trial, which proved that Israel was once again dictating French policy.

I’m glad Macron is forcefully decrying the current wave of antisemitism in France, because it has reached very scary levels.

So, I got a lot of information out of the lecture, and also picked up from a table at the back of the room, a couple of reprints of earlier Hilberg lectures: “Culture and Context: The Shoah, the Germans, and Us” by Peter Hayes, and “Hitler’s ‘Prophecy’ and the Final Solution” by Ian Kershaw.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat (1801–1850), French economist

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks!

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:11 pm
and an indication of the extent to which antisemitism in France is largely a left-wing phenomenon
I’d have to go hunt for details but when Robert Faurisson began his Holocaust denial it was the left in France that defended him. They did so in the name of “free speech.”

“Culture and Context: The Shoah, the Germans, and Us” by Peter Hayes
Not to add to a depressingly long read list but he wrote
“Why?: Explaining the Holocaust.” In spite of the bad title it is really quite good.
“They say..that in Slonim they gathered in the town square 14,000 people...and all were machine-gunned. I ask you, is it possible to believe such a thing?...How can the world remain silent? It is probably not true.”

landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by landrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:52 pm

It wasn't long ago that what we now call "hate speech" was allowed under the guise of "free speech." Society has evolved.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am

I may be overloading these days. Yesterday, it being cold with a very messy snow falling, I worked out on my bicycle and watched a documentary downloaded through our local public library about the Nazi film industry. The propaganda was sickening in many places and the bare-faced lies (such as the lie that the Poles were persecuting Germans, justifying the invasion of Poland), were monstrous. But they laid the issue out very well: Should these be shown or not? There was footage of audiences in Paris, Berlin, and Jerusalem viewing various Nazi films, and of course, opinions divided.

I myself was divided about this. Philistine that I am, I wish every copy of these films had been destroyed by the allies in 1945. (Not easy to do, of course, but why did they take special pains to preserve them?) Given that they survived and now, thanks to YouTube, have been downloaded and are easily available, it is simply too late to suppress them. It is true, a couple of former neo-Nazis reported that these films were frequently shown to new recruits, and no doubt there are people stupid enough to believe what they see in a movie where the characters are fictional is the truth. But attempting to suppress them only adds to the conspiracy-mindedness of these people (most of whom are adolescent boys, even if they are now in their 50s). They wouldn't be entirely illogical if they reasoned that "the attempt to suppress this is evidence that it's revealing something 'they' want kept secret." The best strategy, it seems to me, is to let them circulate and keep up a steady barrage of information about them, saturating the media with the truth. As one of the commentators (who was very fluent in German and---as far as I could judge---Hebrew) said, if a boy becomes a Nazi after watching these films, the failure is not in the film; it happened much earlier, in the school and the home. The sad fact is, there is a layer of sludge at the bottom of the human race, and a certain part of the population loves living there. The best we can do is contain it.

Interestingly, one of the people interviewed for the film, remarked that back in the 1980s, it was considered chic to show some of these films at social events in Manhattan, and nobody had the slightest worry that doing so might recruit new Nazis. That's another thing that has changed, and perhaps an explanation of the new recent concern about "hate speech." Back then, Nazism was well suppressed, and Nazis seldom if ever dared to come out. (When they tried to do so, 40 years ago, in Skokie, Illinois, it was a fiasco for them.)

Did I mention it snowed here yesterday? This morning, suddenly, the temperature is -6 Celsius. Brrrr!
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

No snow here but it didn't get above -4C.

I finished Hanebrink's book on Judeo-Bolshevism (it's a pretty quick read) and started Mann's Fascists. Mann is denser reading and I've got some other stuff going on, so Mann will go slowly. Already I like Mann's book: he takes a sociological approach and argues against - or for a correction to - an ideal-type definition of fascism. The sociological angle is evident in the title, which isn't "Fascism" but "Fascists." His framework for studying fascism is the same as for any other social phenomenon, in which he looks at four sources of social power: ideology (meaning systems), economics (production and exchange), military (organized physical violence), and politics (institutions of regulation and control).

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Snowed briefly on Monday here, now it’s just friggin’ cold.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Like me, you've all probably got more reading lined up than you have time to do. In case you haven't, here's an archive of Holocaust publications by scholars at the University of Vermont.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am
I may be overloading these days.
It happens. My wife questions my viewing choices when she walks in on me puttering around the kitchen and I’ve got on some documentary on the Einsatzgruppen.
Yesterday, it being cold with a very messy snow falling, I worked out on my bicycle and watched a documentary downloaded through our local public library about the Nazi film industry. The propaganda was sickening in many places and the bare-faced lies (such as the lie that the Poles were persecuting Germans, justifying the invasion of Poland), were monstrous. But they laid the issue out very well: Should these be shown or not? There was footage of audiences in Paris, Berlin, and Jerusalem viewing various Nazi films, and of course, opinions divided.

I myself was divided about this. Philistine that I am, I wish every copy of these films had been destroyed by the allies in 1945. (Not easy to do, of course, but why did they take special pains to preserve them?) Given that they survived and now, thanks to YouTube, have been downloaded and are easily available, it is simply too late to suppress them. It is true, a couple of former neo-Nazis reported that these films were frequently shown to new recruits, and no doubt there are people stupid enough to believe what they see in a movie where the characters are fictional is the truth. But attempting to suppress them only adds to the conspiracy-mindedness of these people (most of whom are adolescent boys, even if they are now in their 50s). They wouldn't be entirely illogical if they reasoned that "the attempt to suppress this is evidence that it's revealing something 'they' want kept secret." The best strategy, it seems to me, is to let them circulate and keep up a steady barrage of information about them, saturating the media with the truth.
As one of the commentators (who was very fluent in German and---as far as I could judge---Hebrew) said, if a boy becomes a Nazi after watching these films, the failure is not in the film; it happened much earlier, in the school and the home. The sad fact is, there is a layer of sludge at the bottom of the human race, and a certain part of the population loves living there. The best we can do is contain it.
I’m inclined to leave it be for exactly that reason....it isn’t the films themselves, it’s the lack of education about the subject that gets us into trouble.

The problem is that this education is lacking. We talked about this before, school districts don’t teach kids about it so they grow up with half-baked ideas on what happened. This in turn makes it easier for Holocaust deniers and neo-Nazis to scream about the lies we teach our children when in reality it is the lack of adequate training.

I don’t remember learning much about any of this in school until I went off to the university level. I had a leg up, though. My father loved history so it was already around. I read Shirer’s “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich before high school. I came across it on his bookshelf and started reading it out of curiosity. It made me want to read more and more about it. My high school library had “Escape from Sobibór” and I read that in the 9th grade.

I was a weird kid.... :D That hasn’t changed much.

The point is I had to do that on my own. That wasn’t in any lesson.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:33 pm

>> school districts don’t teach kids about it so they grow up with half-baked ideas on what happened.

Which is also true of public education in the US in the area known here as "social studies." Recently, a widely used textbook, to take an example, used a caption describing Africans enslaved in the American South as "workers" ("millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations"). (https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/10 ... ting-error) The focus of instruction, often delivered by teachers with minimal social science qualification, shifts between recitation of barely connected facts and high engagement fluff (often misleading).

Holocaust education, whilst less, is no better or worse. It gets some extra emphasis as it is taken to be a constitutive element of the postwar liberal, humanistic order, a foundation for tolerance, human rights, and transnational collaboration. But that doesn't mean that the Holocaust is taught well.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 am

So far I highly recommend Mann's Fascists. Every page is exciting. I am going to have to read Mann's Sources of Social Power sometime. His work is really awesome.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:47 am

Slowly working my way through Evan’s “Coming of the Third Reich.” It’s good but I’ve been busy with things lately at work with a short month.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 am

Starting “Genocide on Trial.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Interesting, Bloxham makes the point that the Nuremberg Trials got as much wrong as they did right. Which makes sense but deniers drool over the mistakes.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 am

Not feeling the love with recent reading. I will finish the book I am reading now, then on to Croatia:

Goldstein, 1941: The Year That Keeps Returning
Cingolani, Nationalism and Terror: Ante Pavelic and Ustashe Terorism from Fascism to the Cold War
McCormick. Croatia under Ante Pavelic: America, the Ustase and Croatian Genocide in World War II

Might sandwich in Noack-Mosse, The Last Days of Theresienstadt before going on to Croatia.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:07 am

Still working on “Genocide on Trial.” I expected finishing it this weekend but got tied up on other things.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Considering this:

O. Bartov
The Eastern Front, 1941-45: German Troops and the Barbarisation of Warfare (St Antony's Series)

And this:
Omer Bartov
Hitler's Army: Soldiers, Nazis, and War in the Third Reich

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:44 pm

And this:
David Cesarani
The Final Solution: Origins and Implementation

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:42 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:07 am
Still working on “Genocide on Trial.” I expected finishing it this weekend but got tied up on other things.
Finished this today during lunch. Highly recommended. I’ll post some things about it.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Starting “Architects of Annhilation.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 am

I highly recommend Adriano & Cingolani, Nationalism and Terror: Ante Pavelić and Ustasha Terrorism from Fascism to the Cold War; the authors sort out the history Italian (and German) relations with the Ustasha (and IMO underplay the domestic Croatian angle but the information on the Italians and Germans is indispensable - and better explained than elsewhere).

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 pm
Highly recommend “Architects,” will post some things on it as well.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm

OK, pulling this forward:

Götz Aly
Cleansing the Fatherland: Nazi Medicine and Racial Hygiene

Edward B. Westermann
Hitler's Police Battalions: Enforcing Racial War in the East (Modern War Studies (Paperback)) by Edward B. Westermann (2005-05-27)

Dr Caroline Sturdy Colls
Treblinka: Archaeological and Artistic Responses (Centre of Archaeology Book Series)

Nicholas Chare
Matters of Testimony: Interpreting the Scrolls of Auschwitz

Jadwiga Bezwinska
Amidst a Nightmare of Crime: Manuscripts of Prisoners in Crematorium Squads Found at Auschwitz

These are a definite:
Yitzhak Arad
The Operation Reinhard Death Camps, Revised and Expanded Edition: Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka

Paul Hanebrink
A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism

Combat and Genocide on the Eastern Front: The German Infantry’s War

The Evacuation, Dismantling and Liberation of KL Auschwitz

Nazi Empire Building and the Holocaust in the Ukraine

The Holocaust in Romania

Annihilation: Volume II: The European Rimlands 1939-1953

The Holocaust in Eastern Europe: At the Epicenter of the Final Solution

This is updated based upon some recent purchases. I’m also considering the Bartov books I listed above.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm going to interrupt my little Croatia reading project with Ingrao, The Promise of the East: Nazi Hopes and Genocide 1939-43, which arrived yesterday and is begging to be read.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 pm
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Heading into the home stretch on this one. Probably finish sometime in the next couple of days.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:32 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:21 pm
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 pm
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Heading into the home stretch on this one. Probably finish sometime in the next couple of days.
Finished. Trying to figure out what to read next....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:48 am

I am pretty well into Ingrao's new book. It will be, however, slow going now, for awhile, as we have house guests for the next two weeks.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:02 am

I ordered two books tonight as part of Christmas:

Nazi Germany and the Holocaust: The Policies of Genocide: Jews and Soviet Prisoners of War

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:04 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm
OK, pulling this forward:

Götz Aly
Cleansing the Fatherland: Nazi Medicine and Racial Hygiene

Edward B. Westermann
Hitler's Police Battalions: Enforcing Racial War in the East (Modern War Studies (Paperback)) by Edward B. Westermann (2005-05-27)

Dr Caroline Sturdy Colls
Treblinka: Archaeological and Artistic Responses (Centre of Archaeology Book Series)

Nicholas Chare
Matters of Testimony: Interpreting the Scrolls of Auschwitz

Jadwiga Bezwinska
Amidst a Nightmare of Crime: Manuscripts of Prisoners in Crematorium Squads Found at Auschwitz

These are a definite:
Yitzhak Arad
The Operation Reinhard Death Camps, Revised and Expanded Edition: Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka

Paul Hanebrink
A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism

Combat and Genocide on the Eastern Front: The German Infantry’s War

Nazi Empire Building and the Holocaust in the Ukraine

The Holocaust in Romania

Annihilation: Volume II: The European Rimlands 1939-1953

The Holocaust in Eastern Europe: At the Epicenter of the Final Solution

This is updated based upon some recent purchases. I’m also considering the Bartov books I listed above.
Pulling this forward to remind myself.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:28 am

Went ahead and ordered Arad’s updated Operation Reinhard Camp book.

Got a promo code and saved five bucks!!!!
#winning!!!!

:lol:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:37 am

While I’m waiting for the books I ordered I decided to re-read Kershaw’s biography of Hitler. I forgot how good it is.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:57 am

I finished Ingrao's book and am making an unplanned detour, having started a just-published essay collection on The Holocaust in Greece.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:52 pm

This came in earlier than I expected:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Ordered this today:
Documents on the Holocaust: Selected Sources on the Destruction of the Jews of Germany and Austria, Poland, and the Soviet Union (Eighth Edition)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 pm

This came in today:
Routledge Library Editions: Nazi Germany and the Holocaust: The Policies of Genocide (RLE Nazi Germany & Holocaust): Jews and Soviet Prisoners of War in Nazi Germany (Volume 8)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Mark Levene has a strong piece in the Antoniou & Moses collection on Greece discussing how Greece and Bulgaria became part of the general trend in nationalism from the early 1900s through the immediate postwar period, both countries driving toward national homogenization and willing to use violence to achieve it.

Levene's piece details the Bulgarian mass murders of Jews and Bulgaria's brutal occupation of Thrace and Macedonia and argues that "the Hellenic nation-building agenda was fundamentally no different from the same exclusivist, essentializing ethnoreligious formula" adopted by most nations during the period. Nationalist agendas in the Balkans led to violence against groups viewed as non-assimilable and created a region marked by interethnic violence. The discussion fits in well with Levene's Rimlands vol II.

Ian Hazard
Poster

Post by Ian Hazard » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:19 pm

An excellent book which should be in every serious Holocaust researchers collection.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/9781591481270