General Books/Reading Discussion

Discussions
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:So, finished this today (helped by two days of being locked in the house due to an ice storm):
A History of Fascism

Very much recommended though very much an academic study, it looked at the various Fascist movements that developed from 1919-1945. It includes a look at post-war movements though this extends only to the early 1990’s.
about 60% through this book; it's good but I have to admit Griffin's work is a lot more exciting

I’m going to look back on some of your suggestions on this, reading the above and starting on Paxton’s book kindled my interest on Fascism.
Last edited by Jeffk 1970 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....
Noel, Noel, what the hell.”
Benjamin Ferencz in a letter to Telford Taylor, December 1951

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
I also have a Kindle copy of the Rhodes book, “Master’s of Death.” I don’t think Stat Mech liked it but I’m trying to get a better grasp on the Einsatzgruppen than I have.

My complaint with this so far is the unnecessary (IMO) backtracking over basics. While I have no problem with general works on this going over the basics I expect specialized works to focus on the subject, for example, I don’t need an analysis of Hitler and Himmler in a book on the EG. I bought this book for a specific reason so I don’t need fluff.

It got a little better. However, I do not recommend it for anyone wanting a book strictly on the EG.

It sucks that I finished a disappointing book and I’m working through a second disappointing book. Paxton’s book on Fascism is helping, I read that on the treadmill.
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:06 am

have finished Payne's history of fascism and Roger Griffin's sourcebook of readings on fascism; almost done with Kellerhoff's short study of the Reichstag fire
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:31 am

finished Kellerhoff (nowhere near as impressive as billed) and Chary, The Bulgarian Jews and the Final Solution, 1940-1944

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Getting ready to buy “Why the Germans? Why the Jews?” by Gotz Aly and “Perpetrators, Victims and Bystanders” by Raul Hilberg.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 pm

reading Caestecker & Moore, Refugees from Nazi Germany and the Liberal European States - on pre-1939 emigration/refugees

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:07 am

"Why the Germans? Why the Jews?" Is a good read, I think his book "final solution" was a bit better.
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:10 am

Denying-History wrote:"Why the Germans? Why the Jews?" Is a good read, I think his book "final solution" was a bit better.

Found it at Half-Price Books. It looks good.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:19 am

Finished Robert Paxton’s “The Anatomy of Fascism,” a short but still good book. It’s a much easier read than Stanley Payne’s book.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:41 am

Hilberg's Perpetrators, Victims and Bystanders - quick read, worth it, but it's dated and some scholars are questioning the paradigm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:58 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Hilberg's Perpetrators, Victims and Bystanders - quick read, worth it, but it's dated and some scholars are questioning the paradigm
I figured it was worth a purchase, it was 4.00.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 am

a bargain :) it's definitely something to read, there is so much later "dialogue" with it by historians . . . and it moves along quickly

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:24 am

I’ve got “Anatomy of a Genocide” coming from the library on March 18th so I’m looking to read something short, I’m going with Ally’s book first.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I’ve got “Anatomy of a Genocide” coming from the library on March 18th so I’m looking to read something short, I’m going with Ally’s book first.
I decided to download this early and read it before anything else.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm

finished Caestecker & Moore and have started Tim Cole, Traces of the Holocaust: Journeying in and out of the Ghettos

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:53 am

Finished Cole (meh - very meta e.g., at one point he seems to criticize Braham for using Ferenczy's roundup and deportation statistics to estimate how many Hungarian Jews were rounded up and deported rather than using the reports to understand the narrative Ferenczy was telling about himself); I am starting Citino, The Wehrmacht Retreats

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Citino's book was so good that I ordered the volume he published last year for 1944-1945. He writes really well. I have some quibbles: as he writes largely from the German pov, whilst mentioning the importance of the air and naval wars for the Allies, he pays little attention to either the Allies' bombing campaign (or even the Luftwaffe) or navies in his narrative, except insofar as artillery and air support operations complemented ground operations.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm

I hoped to start Citino, The Wehrmacht's Last Stand: The German Campaigns of 1944-1945, late this afternoon, but it turns out the book arrives tomorrow, so I've picked up another sourcebook on fascism to poke through in the meantime. Citino is really a pleasure to read, despite the topic: he writes clearly, moves the narrative along briskly, is opinionated, and digs right into controversy.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
I also have a Kindle copy of the Rhodes book, “Master’s of Death.” I don’t think Stat Mech liked it but I’m trying to get a better grasp on the Einsatzgruppen than I have.

My complaint with this so far is the unnecessary (IMO) backtracking over basics. While I have no problem with general works on this going over the basics I expect specialized works to focus on the subject, for example, I don’t need an analysis of Hitler and Himmler in a book on the EG. I bought this book for a specific reason so I don’t need fluff.

It got a little better. However, I do not recommend it for anyone wanting a book strictly on the EG.

It sucks that I finished a disappointing book and I’m working through a second disappointing book. Paxton’s book on Fascism is helping, I read that on the treadmill.

Finally finished slogging my way through this one. My biggest regret is I bought an electronic copy and can’t get rid of it.
:(

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:24 am

LOL

On EGs, I do recommend Alex Kay's book on Filbert and Hilary Earl's book on the NMT EG trial.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:LOL

On EGs, I do recommend Alex Kay's book on Filbert and Hilary Earl's book on the NMT EG trial.
I’ll take a look. Right now I’m loaded down but I am considering buying “The Holocaust in the Soviet Union” by Lucjan Dobroszycki, “Hitler’s Police Battalions” by Edward Westermann and “Hitler’s Death Squads” by Helmut Langerbein. Those are for the future.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:LOL

I’ll take a look. Right now I’m loaded down but I am considering buying “The Holocaust in the Soviet Union” by Lucjan Dobroszycki, “Hitler’s Police Battalions” by Edward Westermann and “Hitler’s Death Squads” by Helmut Langerbein. Those are for the future.
Dobroszycki - curious to know your thoughts if you read this one; his Lodz Chronicle is fantastic
Westermann - worth reading
Langerbein - nope, a mish-mash with nothing new

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:48 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote: Langerbein - nope, a mish-mash with nothing new
I will absolutely, positively take your word on this one. The last time I didn’t I forced myself to read “Masters of Death.”

:D

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 am

:)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm

arriving Thursday:
- Johann Chapoutot, The Law of Blood: Thinking and Acting as a Nazi
- David Duindam, Site of Deportation, Site of Memory: The Amsterdam Hollandsche Schouwburg and the Holocaust

I hope to finish Citino's The Wehrmacht's Last Stand by Thursday, then probably read Duindam . . .

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 am

To those it interests currently skimming these books relating to the Holocaust:

The Holocaust, the French, and the Jews by Susan Zuccotti (on p.191)

&

The Bombing of Auschwitz: Should the Allies Have Attempted It? by Michael J. Neufeld and Michael Berenbaum (on p.117)

Unrelated titles that I read recently.

- Warrant for Genocide by Vahakn N. Dadrian (on p. 111) [Reading from pdf, print copy hasn't arrived yet]
- German Responsibility in the Armenian Genocide by Vahakn N. Dadrian (p.87)
- The key elements in the Turkish denial of the Armenian genocide by Vahakn N. Dadrian (Finished)
- The Katyn Forest Massacre (Finished)
- Nanking : Anatomy of an Atrocity by Masahiro Yamamoto (Finished)
- The Nanking Atrocity, 1937-1938: Complicating the Picture by Bob Tadashi Wakabayashi (Finished)
- Thirteen lies in the Nanjing Massacre Deniers’ Claims (Still being delivered) [In Japanese]
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Denying-History wrote:To those it interests currently skimming these books relating to the Holocaust:

For France, Zuccotti is IMO fine but the best survey is Renée Poznanski's Jews in France during World War II (along with Yaakov Lozowick's Hitler’s Bureaucrats: The Nazi Security Police and the Banality of Evil as a kind of companion)
Denying-History wrote:The Bombing of Auschwitz: Should the Allies Have Attempted It? by Michael J. Neufeld and Michael Berenbaum (on p.117)
Your opinion of this one? I've almost bought it about 17 times . . . LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm

That’s ironic, I considered buying “The Bombing of Auschwitz” a couple of days ago but decided against it.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:That’s ironic, I considered buying “The Bombing of Auschwitz” a couple of days ago but decided against it.
LOL . . . curious to hear D-H's impressions!

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 pm

I am loving this next Citino book. I don't know military history for {!#%@}, so maybe he's an idiot, but he is damned fun to read. :)

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Denying-History wrote:To those it interests currently skimming these books relating to the Holocaust:

For France, Zuccotti is IMO fine but the best survey is Renée Poznanski's Jews in France during World War II (along with Yaakov Lozowick's Hitler’s Bureaucrats: The Nazi Security Police and the Banality of Evil as a kind of companion)
It's been sitting on my shelf for maybe a year now, really needed to get into reading it.
Denying-History wrote:The Bombing of Auschwitz: Should the Allies Have Attempted It? by Michael J. Neufeld and Michael Berenbaum (on p.117)
Your opinion of this one? I've almost bought it about 17 times . . . LOL
Wouldn't exactly say it was worth the price I spent on it, most of it isn't exactly what you would expect - such as a book the details the possibility and reliability of bombing the Auschwitz crematoriums. It's roughly so far discussing what could happen from bombing them, what historians think on the topic, the crematoriums compacity, etc. At times it feels a bit reliant on Pressac. If you can find it under $15, I would probably recommend it.
Joseph E. Davies

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm

thanks!

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Denying-History wrote: Wouldn't exactly say it was worth the price I spent on it, most of it isn't exactly what you would expect - such as a book the details the possibility and reliability of bombing the Auschwitz crematoriums. It's roughly so far discussing what could happen from bombing them, what historians think on the topic, the crematoriums compacity, etc. At times it feels a bit reliant on Pressac. If you can find it under $15, I would probably recommend it.
Thanks. I may buy it, then.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Denying-History wrote:"Why the Germans? Why the Jews?" Is a good read, I think his book "final solution" was a bit better.

Found it at Half-Price Books. It looks good.
Finished this today. Very good.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Post by Denying-History » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm

He's the best author on the Holocaust IMHO
Joseph E. Davies

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Denying-History wrote:He's the best author on the Holocaust IMHO

I’m going to look into more of his books.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:21 pm

finished Citino's last volume and have started book of essays on Hollandsche Schouwburg - although this book has brief context setting material, reading it without having gone through the history of the Netherlands under occupation would be a bit like reading about Drancy without reading about France during the war or the Umschlagplatz in Warsaw without having a sense of the history of Warsaw ghetto - that said, I will post anything of interest

arriving this weekend are the following: Citino, Death of the Wehrmacht - on 1942 (it is actually here already) and then the following, recommended by a colleague who has strong military history chops - for US and then Soviet perspectives to complement German view presented by Citino:

* Rick Atkinson, The Liberation Triology (An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943; The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944; The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945)
* Russell Weigley, Eisenhower's Lieutenants: The Campaigns of France and Germany, 1944-45

* John Erickson, The Road to Stalingrad: Stalin`s War with Germany, Volume One
* John Erickson, The Road to Berlin: Stalin`s War with Germany, Volume Two

then for color I have coming next week:

* Sönke Neitzel, Tapping Hitler's Generals: Transcripts of Secret Conversations 1942–45

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:31 pm

* John Erickson, The Road to Stalingrad: Stalin`s War with Germany, Volume One
* John Erickson, The Road to Berlin: Stalin`s War with Germany, Volume Two

then for color I have coming next week:

* Sönke Neitzel, Tapping Hitler's Generals: Transcripts of Secret Conversations 1942–45
I used to read a lot of military history, I scrapped it when I started reading more about the Holocaust. The above look interesting, though. The problem is I already have a backlog...

If I plow through what I have I will look into them, along with some European histories I’ve been eying for some time.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:47 pm

I have been kind of laid up - and not much new and exciting on the Holocaust has been published recently - so it seems a good time to read about this context, just as I've read about diplomatic-political context at other points

I have to repeat: Citino's books are a pleasure to read, no matter the subject matter

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I have been kind of laid up - and not much new and exciting on the Holocaust has been published recently - so it seems a good time to read about this context, just as I've read about diplomatic-political context at other points

I have to repeat: Citino's books are a pleasure to read, no matter the subject matter

With me it’s trying to catch up on the things I missed out on. Most of the works I read on the Holocaust were general in nature, now I want more specifics. I am shoring up in areas where I feel weakest on.