The legal aspects of Aerial warfare: the case of Britain.

Discussions
Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The legal aspects of Aerial warfare: the case of Britain

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:55 am

Cerdic wrote:Iran has repeatedly and explicitly stated its intention to destroy the US and Israel
http://jcpa.org/article/20-threats-iran ... e-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://jcpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012 ... t2012b.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2009-2012 statements)
Correct, the previous government. Bibi Netanyahu said Israel would bomb Iran in spring on 2012 in response. Welcome to domestic propaganda.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 2183835068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cerdic wrote:And don't forget that Iran is the biggest sponsor of global terrorism[/url].
The Israelis stole our Australian passports to make kill a bloke in Dubai without trial, while Bibi was making this speech. And your point is?
Cerdic wrote: Yes, there are 25,000 or however many (the 2011 census recorded just over 8,000)
According to the Tehran Jewish Committee, the Jewish population of Iran was estimated at about 25,000 to 35,000, of which approximately 15,000 are in Tehran with the rest residing in Hamadan, Shiraz, Isfahan, Kermanshah, Yazd, Kerman, Rafsanjan, Borujerd, Sanandaj and Urmia.[5][6] However, the official 2011 state census recorded only 8,756 Jews in Iran.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Jews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not saying either Israel or Iran are "lovely places". I am saying that there are a lot a false assumptions about Iran, ie "Chess is banned" while they are winning the world chess championship.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer

Re: The legal aspects of Aerial warfare: the case of Britain

Post by digress » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
digress wrote:Iran is a nation that uses the Ayatollah to impose Sharia law on citizens.
The Iranian judiciary does not follow Sharia law but rather legislation enacted by parliament including its pre revolutionary existing civil laws. There are only some laws that conform to Sharia law. Sharia law has no appeals system, unlike Iran. Iran also has prisoners and prisons which don't exist under Sharia law.
Are you saying the Ayatollah is not a special police used specifically to uphold Islamic law or "Sharia", but that their work instead coexists with the Iranian civil judicial system? I ask just to be clear.
Matthew Ellard wrote:
digress wrote: Banning things like chess or satellite dishes.
The Iranian chess grandmaster, Pouya Idani won the 2013 World Youth Chess championship. The government banned satellite dishes because of "Radio Free Europe". Satellite dishes don't get a mention in Sharia law.
http://www.tehrantimes.com/sports/11311 ... ampionship" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Being an Iranian and winning a chess tournament outside Iran(in Abu Dhabi) doesnt qualify as an example to show chess isn't banned in Iran.

I said chess was banned, but don't let me lead you astray. Iran is luckily too large a country at the moment for the Iranian police to completely control. So they may drive down streets, piling on satellite dishes into the back of pick-up trucks, or try to prevent people from playing chess, but it doesn't seem to stop the populace from staying one step ahead. This goes without credit to your defense.
Matthew Ellard wrote:
digress wrote:
Known for raping women before an execution on the basis of forgetting to wear a veil because it's blasphemy to sentence a virgin to death.
That was Romans in the novel I, Claudius not Iran.
If a woman in Iran is found to be guilty of a crime punishable by execution and is a virgin, she is first "married" (raped) because it is the law to do so. Also, try not to forget things like how a woman's testimony in court only accounts for half of a man's testimony. And when women try to stand up for their rights against this gang rape mentality they are told that it's their own fault for not abiding by strict dress codes.

I will say that this doesn't stop party leaders from publicly condemning this behavior, but oddly enough when they do it they fly under the flag that they are not personally responsible and that it's not just the Islamic police involved in these crimes. Or maybe they are just giving book reviews of I, Claudius.
Matthew Ellard wrote:
digress wrote: Meanwhile I have to listen to Iranian apologists like yourself saying things like, What about Iran's national security?
He is not an apologist. He is a pragmatic peace maker. If we ask Iran what they want for their national security...well perhaps we can give them something close to what they want and they will be happy. The USA gave Israel 200 x 15 kiloton nukes to make them happy. Perhaps if we took the nukes away from Israel both countries could be happy. Why don't we ask them both and work on the best compromise? What's the problem with that?
The problem is that you've Iranian police tear gassing opposition in it's streets. Raping women based on dress codes. Is a nation that will shut down things like Twitter if political slander takes place of a current leader. Who's President openly suborns reward money for the killing of novelists who speak out against Islam. Who claims they want a centrifuge program in order to enrich uranium for peaceful energy concerns. And when we tell them no, centrifuge technology is not required for that, are told in response, "Death to America and the west for being enemies of Islam."

I'm sorry, but again to compare this state-of-affairs to Isreal is a disgrace.
Matthew Ellard wrote:
digress wrote: How do they protect their ways of life in the face of Isrealic threat?
There are 25,000 Jews living in Tehran. No one is going to be bombing anyone. It all propaganda for domestic political consumption and Israel needs to justify its 6 billion a year in weapon grants from the USA. Iran spends half as much on all its military as Israel does and has no interest or ability to strike Israel.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm unable to access your link. The site is hanging.
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The legal aspects of Aerial warfare: the case of Britain

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 am

digress wrote:Are you saying the Ayatollah is not a special police used specifically to uphold Islamic law or "Sharia", but that their work instead coexists with the Iranian civil judicial system? I ask just to be clear.
I think you mean "Does the Ayatollah have special police to uphold Sharia law". The answer is no. "Does a fatwa issued by the Ayatollah under Sharia law become a law similar to the normal civil laws legislated by the Iranian parliament? The answer is no. The Iranian parliament and president Hassan Rouhani and Ayatollah are still fighting each other over the 2013 parliamentary lifting of dress restrictions for women. The Ayatollah's religious fatwa is not the civil law.
digress wrote: Being an Iranian and winning a chess tournament outside Iran(in Abu Dhabi) doesnt qualify as an example to show chess isn't banned in Iran.
So you think he picked up how to play chess on his way to world chess championships to compete for Iran? Here is a link to endless current photos of men and women in Iran playing chess at various Iranian chess clubs.
http://www.asianchess.com/news/view/asi ... mpionships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
digress wrote:Iran is luckily too large a country at the moment for the Iranian police to completely control. So they may drive down streets, piling on satellite dishes into the back of pick-up trucks, or try to prevent people from playing chess, but it doesn't seem to stop the populace from staying one step ahead. This goes without credit to your defense.
I am not defending Iran. I am a skeptic on a skeptic forum. You said "Chess is banned in Iran" which is not correct.
digress wrote: Known for raping women before an execution on the basis of forgetting to wear a veil because it's blasphemy to sentence a virgin to death.
Matthew Ellard wrote: That was Romans in the novel I, Claudius not Iran.
digress wrote: If a woman in Iran is found to be guilty of a crime punishable by execution and is a virgin, she is first "married" (raped) because it is the law to do so.
Would you like to show me that Iranian legislated law? Would you like to show me the Iranian law that forces policemen to rape virgins so they can be executed? You have actually referring to a paragraph from Suetonius's 12 Caesars about the execution of the daughter of Sejanus, which ended up in the novel I Claudius.
digress wrote: Meanwhile I have to listen to Iranian apologists like yourself saying things like, What about Iran's national security?
Matthew Ellard wrote: If we ask Iran what they want for their national security...well perhaps we can give them something close to what they want and they will be happy. The USA gave Israel 200 x 15 kiloton nukes to make them happy. Perhaps if we took the nukes away from Israel both countries could be happy. Why don't we ask them both and work on the best compromise? What's the problem with that?
digress wrote:The problem is that you've Iranian police tear gassing opposition in it's streets. Raping women based on dress codes.
You are just lying now and making stuff up.

Let me make this clear for you. Nazi Germany was one of the most evil places in the world under Hitler. It is now a much loved country known for environmental policies and social reform. Under President Ahmadinejad's early regime Iran had awful policies and Iran's foreign intelligence service sponsored the US holocaust deniers, ( The title of this sub forum). However Ahmadinejad is no longer President and a moderate reformer has taken over. Therefore, rather than spread lies about chess being banned it would be a better diplomatic plan to work with the new President and allow Iran to become a nice normal happy country in partnership with the rest of us.
Indeed, the current president of Iran has imported US educated cabinet members to reform Iran's education system. Iran is a normal country that is coming out of a bad period. I certainly don't keep slagging off the USA because it once was the last modern country to have slaves. That would be silly and counter productive.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer

Re: The legal aspects of Aerial warfare: the case of Britain

Post by digress » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:23 am

TY for answering my question. I also didnt know they elected a new president in 2013, Hassan Rouhani.
Matthew Ellard wrote:You are just lying now and making stuff up.

Let me make this clear for you. Nazi Germany was one of the most evil places in the world under Hitler. It is now a much loved country known for environmental policies and social reform. Under President Ahmadinejad's early regime Iran had awful policies and Iran's foreign intelligence service sponsored the US holocaust deniers, ( The title of this sub forum). However Ahmadinejad is no longer President and a moderate reformer has taken over. Therefore, rather than spread lies about chess being banned it would be a better diplomatic plan to work with the new President and allow Iran to become a nice normal happy country in partnership with the rest of us.
Indeed, the current president of Iran has imported US educated cabinet members to reform Iran's education system. Iran is a normal country that is coming out of a bad period. I certainly don't keep slagging off the USA because it once was the last modern country to have slaves. That would be silly and counter productive. [/color]
I'm not making it up, but some of my sources are 6+ years old by now. Largely going on between 2001~09. With so much going on in the world it can be hard to stay completely up to date on Iran's reform.

Here's an example what what I mean. This article talks about improvements on banning social media websites, written as late as Nov last year, and referring to riots in 2009 over government bans that took place.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... media.html

Chess was originally banned between 1981-1988, but it appears to only be banned now if you gamble on it. I apologize for my error.

There is an unfair distinction between you comparing Nazi Germany to Iran and it's the fact we had to remove Hitler from power before any actual reform took place since Hitler first took power. But if what you say is true and Hassan Rouhani is fighting the Ayatollah then I would say this is decent improvement.

TY for your insight. My work on Iran needs some updating. But this is what I mean when I originally stated it's the societies responsibility to uphold reform or else it is left to foreign powers to make poor decisions. I was reading everyday on Reuters over a year ago how the Ayatollah, who I guess has final say on nuclear negotiations, was saying things like denying centrifuge technology is an attack on Islam. The way he talks it's like he wants the US to attack Iran. It's hostility like this which leaves me to believe Iran still has responsibilities to take care of and it's our responsibility to delay hostilities like this from growing.
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia