Trump will win!

Discussions
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Trump will win!

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:24 pm
He knows them well. They constitute a chunk of his devoted Twiterr followers and supporters.

(Speaking of Twitter, has he mentioned anything about the recently uncovered college fraud? Or did he do what Jeff_36 said elsewhere: "I mean, what could Trump say?...He'd be silent, scared even." :-P)
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 pm
:hmm: Dumpy thinks the same about Beto. His hands are too big.
I'm not falling for that enemy of my enemy {!#%@}. They tried it in Texas, with the punk rock and skateboarding and hacktivism. It actually helped Beto - and I would have liked to see him as a Senator from Texas. But I don't see him beating Trump. So they can trash him all they want, but I am not getting on board. :)
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 pm
:hmm: Dumpy thinks the same about Beto. His hands are too big.
I'm not falling for that enemy of my enemy {!#%@}. They tried it in Texas, with the punk rock and skateboarding and hacktivism. It actually helped Beto - and I would have liked to see him as a Senator from Texas. But I don't see him beating Trump. So they can trash him all they want, but I am not getting on board. :)
That’s my thing, I wanted him as senator. But he’s a wishy washy centrist with no real plan.
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Unlike others, he knows words. And maybe he can really get the best people. :pardon:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 pm

So far he hasn't (gotten the best people). His early endorsers are a who's who of problem children. IMO.

But, hell yeah, I would vote for him over Trump. I'd vote for my kitchen table over Trump. I just don't think he will do very well if he's the nominee. (And, to me, his words sound vacuous, like a New Age Hallmark card or something . . . )

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Trump won't win!

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Remember, last time it was partially infatuation that helped the Dump over the hump. What changed that the same couldn't happen with Beto?

(I'm not saying I think he's the best candidate. And I'd still like seeing mayor Pete get a chance. Even if his photo looks a little like this. But just as you sed, atm, just about anyone seems better...)

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 pm
Remember, last time it was partially infatuation that helped the Dump over the hump. What changed that the same couldn't happen with Beto?

(I'm not saying I think he's the best candidate. And I'd still like seeing mayor Pete get a chance. Even if his photo looks a little like this. But just as you sed, atm, just about anyone seems better...)
I just don't think it will happen with Beto.

I don't like him. Point one. But if I did like him, I would still deem that he lacks the substance and gravitas to make it happen. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way. This second point is a judgment about what will happen, not what I want to happen.

I really like Elizabeth Warren, analogously, but I don't think she stands a chance. Kind of like that.

As to Trump catching fire, Trump is an ethnonationalist demagogue - that's partly what caught on. Beto comes across as empty - no one knows what he stands for.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm

He really does have tiny hands.

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 pm

WTF is going on with the guy who swiped Sheriff Clarke's hat?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 pm
Mike Pence always looks so depressed when he is next to Donald. I don’t like him but I cannot really blame him.

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 pm
As to Trump catching fire, Trump is an ethnonationalist demagogue - that's partly what caught on. Beto comes across as empty - no one knows what he stands for.
OTOH, granted, if enthusiasm could be enthusiastic about enthusiasm, and emphatic arm gestures pointing at nothing, Beto would have it made.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 pm
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 pm
Mike Pence always looks so depressed when he is next to Donald. I don’t like him but I cannot really blame him.
I think that is compounded by his having to stand right next to a . . . a . . . a women without Mother interposed between him and the . . . the . . . the woman.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm

This is one of funniest things I’ve ever read. I laughed out loud...which is quite embarrassing at the gym.
:D

This is worth cherishing forever:
The past few days have been like watching the Cuban missile crisis re-enacted by the Teletubbies.
LOL

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 pm

simple, really . . . ok, a pointed comment, almost biting, but simple:
Hours after an attack on two mosques in Christchurch that killed 49 people, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinta Ardern said she told President Donald Trump during a phone conversation that the best way to support the country would be to show “sympathy and love for all Muslim communities.”
He can't, but she is spot on.

https://start.att.net/news/read/categor ... -rnewsweek

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm
This is one of funniest things I’ve ever read. I laughed out loud...which is quite embarrassing at the gym.
:D

This is worth cherishing forever:
The past few days have been like watching the Cuban missile crisis re-enacted by the Teletubbies.
LOL
She is really brilliant. I wish we could clone her for the goings-on over on this side of the Atlantic. The teletubbies line: genius.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm

I came across this, after reading David Frum's appalling essay in The Atlantic titled "Let's Be Kind of Fascist to Steal the Fascists' Thunder" and really don't know what to make of it:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2019/03/14/aro ... udes_0-01/

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm

the teletubbies are harmless gentle fun aimed at BABIES about colors and sounds and making friends. So.....the allusion really doesn't fit. Using "The Young Ones" would be much closer...but perhaps be known to a smaller audience, and beyond the comprehension of those who regularly watch the Teletubbies.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:41 pm

And...on cue...the whackaloons come out to play...

Deadspin, 2014:

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Just read the Fish Manifestorr... He's rather outdone himself in vileness...

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Post by Jeff_36 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm
just checked the thread again - who, or should I say what the {!#%@} is Huntinger? I am so baffled by his inane ramblings that I am of the suspicion that he may be a Poe.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 pm

He's been posting there for months, I assume longer as he bears a remarkable resemblance in all things to VFX/NSDAP.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm
Another point, which I know you know about but others may not, having to do with shitposting and reality: Fish/Traynor has threatened individual members of Rodoh ("the day of the rope") in the past.

Smith is culpable for running a board that enables threats of violence and incitements to violence based on ethnicity, race, religion, and political belief. Smith and Rodoh should be out of business. Here is where I disagree with legal interpretations of hate speech, on "imminent harm."

The slow burn and long-term corrosive action of the kind of incitement Rodoh allows are having "clear and present" results in the real world.

The Christchurch murders illustrate again, as did Roof and Pittsburgh and Breivik, how shitposting morphs, or escalates, into violence and murder. We're dealing here not with theoretical discussion of world revolution or ethnic separation or the like but with statements and encouragement that targets individuals in ethnic, racial, religious, and political groups for violence in the here and now; that violence is not theoretical or an unintended, indirect, possible outcome in a chain of other events but something that is clearly taking place in the current time, intended and celebrated, and all too present.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 pm

In the context of some degree of skepticism about his sense of entitlement, Beto O'Rourke isn't helping himself with comments like these. Not to be all snowflakey just to say that he is reinforcing perceptions of him that are prevalent among some of the very voters he needs to appeal to.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Kellyanne Conway yesterday insisted that the NZ mass murderer was "wrong" to write that he sees Trump as a symbol of white nationalism. She didn't explain, however, why the NZ mass murderer and so many others drawn to ethnonationalist politics view Trump this way - or what Trump will be doing to counteract the "wrong" impression so widely shared.

Courtesy SPLC, some more responses to the mass murder in NZ:

Andrew Anglin (Daily Stormer): “. . . of the mass shootings I have seen this is by far the funniest one of them all.” And: "Listen: no one gives a {!#%@} about Moslems. These people kill us every day, they kidnap our girls, they overcome our countries and riot in the streets, and normal people are laughing their asses off that for once in history someone actually gave back what we’ve been getting. I don’t support this attack, obviously – I am a man of peace. But it sure as hell wasn’t bad optics."

Weev (alt-right "celeb"): “Even though it is bad behavior, it definitely feels really {!#%@} good to watch.”

Mike Peinovich, podcaster, laments the victimization of white Americans in all this: “Can you imagine always being blamed for things that you have absolutely no control over? Can you imagine always being asked to apologize for these things? Can you imagine being hated whether or not you do apologize? This is what being a White person in America today feels like.”

TheKidsAreAltRight (posting at Daily Stormer): “I think my thirst for vengeance has officially surpassed my fear of repercussions when it comes to events like this. I’m not endorsing violence, but when it happens to our enemies I’ve reached the point where I can’t muster a single {!#%@} to give.”

Psychopathic Anime Nazi: “I think we can see two different strategies at play from Breivik and Tarrant. Breivik did the big brain targeted elimination of traitors in the making. Tarrant attacks people anyone can recognize as invaders. It seems like the public is finding Tarrant more palatable than Breivik.”

Note that these "personalities" take a bit more care with their formulations than did Charles Traynor at Rodoh, but their message isn't really different IMO.

The piece also gives examples of those on the WN right who distance themselves from the NZ massacres because, in the words of Bradley Dean Griffin, “The bloodshed in New Zealand will simply be used to further demonize Whites, deplatform pro-White voices from social media and fuel the push for gun control. It will be used as fodder to further stigmatize nationalism and prop up multiculturalism.” There is also criticism among the alt-right (e.g., Stefan Molyneux) of some of the killer's political and cultural views.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... iller-hero

for comparison sake, far right reaction to Roof's killings here: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... onshooting (what hit home is that we live amongst these people - and so do the most targeted and vulnerable people in different countries - and very little effective action, courtesy our police forces as well as the Trump presidency, is being taken to ensure people's safety)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:23 pm

the prospects for Working Class Joe (whose father was a car salesman), as laid out in The Grauniad:
He is a white man at a moment when the party has a record number of women and candidates of colour. He is an evangelist for bipartisanship at a moment of polarisation. He is a foreign policy stalwart at a moment when expertise has fallen into disrepute. He is famously tactile with women at a moment when #MeToo has redrawn the boundaries of personal space.

And yet, he might just pull it off. . . .
The short profile includes some reminders of Biden's record, including one of the gaffes that Jeff_36 believes voters will find so endearing - Biden in 2008:
“I mean, you got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -president

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Methinks I just saw an Ian Hazard post disappear.... I had a feeling he might turn up here today :lol:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 pm

LOL, I actually replied to it but it disappeared before it went through.

Deadspin, 2014:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

For those curious about it Ian’s new post was moved offline and locked.

Deadspin, 2014:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Damned right it was. He opened a thread with that post as the start. I will not permit the New Zealand murderer's statements to be posted here. I will not knowingly allow this forum to be used to amplify that hatred.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm
For those curious about it Ian’s new post was moved offline and locked.
Maybe we can induce Pyrrho to assemble a commemorative album of those posts.... :mrgreen:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 pm

The thread was moved to the "Private Topics" subforum. You can join the related usergroup if you absolutely must read that locked thread.

No, I have no sense of humor about this.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:56 pm

I did try and warn him about that.

Deadspin, 2014:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:58 pm

I have edited Statistical Mechanic's post a few pages back to remove statements made by the murderer.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:58 pm
I have edited Statistical Mechanic's post a few pages back to remove statements made by the murderer.
Thanks. I should have edited those out but was livid about Traynor's statements and wanted to expose them. I agree with your action.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks. What we are seeing is the modern culture of saying the most outrageous crap imaginable in order to gain attention and to thereby gain from that attention. The killer apparently counted on this and apparently structured his screed with this in mind.