Study: Simple Life Forms are Common throughout Universe

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Study: Simple Life Forms are Common throughout Universe

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:52 pm

maunas wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm
Though, "is possible", in the context I used it, is not a very unqualified comment.
You need to think through your notions and stop speaking out of both sides of your mouth. such silliness allows for completely loose self centered blather: not even rising to the level of opinion. In the instant case, the only qualification is "if you live long enough".....which is not a qualification as much as liquid BS. It can be added to any wish fulfillment ungrounded looney tunes prediction/analysis you wish. aka: its meaningless.

People should not think meaningless thoughts. Its wastes your valuable time. Good ideas are out there: find them.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

maunas
Regular Poster
Custom Title: Crux of cosmos

Post by maunas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 pm
Maunas

Being able to reproduce before a harmful gene is expressed does not stop evolution. For example, Huntingtons disease is due to a harmful gene that is not often expressed before age 50. Yet it is weeded out by natural selection within about 50 generations. The reason for this is that mortality of children (and the children's children) increase if parents (and grandparents) are killed early.
Lance,

You are making an unqualified remark in the first sentence of your post. Then after giving a somewhat moderate special case example of a single disease, you have absolutely generalized it to the whole evolutionary process.

The HTT mutation that causes Huntington disease involves a DNA segment known as a CAG trinucleotide repeat.

An affected person usually inherits the altered gene from one affected parent.
As the altered HTT gene is passed from one generation to the next, the size of the CAG trinucleotide repeat often increases in size. A larger number of repeats is usually associated with an earlier onset of signs and symptoms.
This is the reason that after some generations the disease may get expressed at a premarital age, before the affected person is able to reproduce.

But, there are always some individuals in the population, with Huntington disease, who did not have any parent with the disorder.

NB: Beware of Landrew and specially bobbo.
Every point of the universe is its centre, so universe is an infinity inside a dimensionless point. The dimensions we intute are within this point. That is why quantum mechanics is not weird. Entanglement becomes possible.
Actually, all existence is zero dimensional.
Everything is in me and I am there in everything. Only I existed in the past, only I exist now, and, only I will be existing in the future. Everything was done, is being done, and will be done by me.
I am the universe.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm

maunas wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 pm
NB: Beware of Landrew and specially bobbo.
Well.....thank you. With compliments like that, I am motivated to double up.....if I can get through your post to begin with. so very Deepback Cophra. ....and yet your posted knowledge base appears quite particularly on point. I wonder, why the divide?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 pm

maunas wrote: Matthew, 1) Most of the cancer causing genes will not be deleted if we depend on natural selection, for a variety of reasons.
I never said they would. I simply pointed out your claim "Our genes and our natural environment, both are being managed by us." was a load of crap as people still had cancer.
maunas wrote:2) Hitlerian artificial selection is unacceptable by humans.
Then why are you proposing eugenics?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 pm

maunas wrote: I do accept that sometimes I deliberately make unqualified comments to receive a response.
It's worse than that. In one post you say humans are going to no longer require "matter" like DNA to evolve and in the next post you then talk about normal DNA diseases. You seem to be mixing up a jumble of different concepts simultaneously.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:16 am

Maunas

The example I gave is part of a general rule. The opposite also applies. When a harmful gene expresses early in life, natural selection removes it quickly. For example, progeria is normally gone after one generation. Hemophilia may take half a dozen generations to be removed. Huntingtons is an extreme example, but there are intermediate mutations that take more than 6 but less than 50 generations to be removed. There was a Scientific American article which explained this trend some years back.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:47 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 pm
maunas wrote: Matthew, 1) Most of the cancer causing genes will not be deleted if we depend on natural selection, for a variety of reasons.
I never said they would. I simply pointed out your claim "Our genes and our natural environment, both are being managed by us." was a load of crap as people still had cancer.

Matthew,

If our genes and environment would not have been managed by us, the cancer cases would have become more higher in number and more painful for the individual patient.
For instance: Many people nowadays take supplements. We now know that Vitamin D supplements lower risk of colorectal cancer and prostate Cancer and perhaps other cancers.

Betacarotene reduces the risk of developing cancers of the head and neck.
Behavioral alterations: Most of the new generation people avoid taking tobacco products to reduce their chances of cancers of the oral cavity, lung, throat, larynx, oesophagus, stomach, pancreas, bladder, cervix and kidney.

People now protect themselves from the sun and are also getting aware that tanning lights also increase their chances of getting skin cancer, so have started avoiding them.

Get vaccinated
For;
Hepatitis B to protect themselves from liver cancer caused by that virus
And
Human papillomavirus to protect themselves from getting anorectal, cervical, vaginal and oral cancers caused by this virus.
Women are using
Papanicolaou (Pap) tests to help prevent cervical cancers by detecting precancerous changes in cells of the cervix. Removing precancerous colon polyps helps prevent colorectal cancers.

Avoiding the use of hormone therapy (for example, estrogen and progesterone) for symptoms of menopause to decrease the risk of breast and endometrial cancers.

Day by day more people are going for regular medical care.
Regular self-exams and screenings for various types of cancers — such as cancer of the skin, colon, cervix and breast is increasing their chances of discovering cancer early, when treatment is most likely to be successful.
Using aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce the risk of colorectal cancer after consultation with their physicians.
Every point of the universe is its centre, so universe is an infinity inside a dimensionless point. The dimensions we intute are within this point. That is why quantum mechanics is not weird. Entanglement becomes possible.
Everything is in me and I am there in everything. Only I existed in the past, only I exist now, and, only I will be existing in the future. Everything was done, is being done, and will be done by me.
I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:52 am

Further,
Our genes and our natural environment can be still better managed by us if, I repeat:
Money and Manforce entrapped by human military establishments is released by denationalisation of the world, and redirected for ensuring development and survival of the whole humanity.
I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 pm

maunas wrote:2) Hitlerian artificial selection is unacceptable by humans.
Then why are you proposing eugenics?
Read the post again, Matthew. I said, "EUTHENICS".
Also pay attention to context. Thank you for your comments.
I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:09 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 pm
maunas wrote: I do accept that sometimes I deliberately make unqualified comments to receive a response.
It's worse than that. In one post you say humans are going to no longer require "matter" like DNA to evolve and in the next post you then talk about normal DNA diseases. You seem to be mixing up a jumble of different concepts simultaneously.
Your responses forced me to backtrack, and conclude that, what I was telling, has to wait.
I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:16 am
Maunas

The example I gave is part of a general rule. The opposite also applies. When a harmful gene expresses early in life, natural selection removes it quickly. For example, progeria is normally gone after one generation. Hemophilia may take half a dozen generations to be removed. Huntingtons is an extreme example, but there are intermediate mutations that take more than 6 but less than 50 generations to be removed. There was a Scientific American article which explained this trend some years back.
Lance,

Thank you for the information you gave.

In view of the point which Matthew made regarding our inability to control the disease of cancer, against my opinion that we are managing our genes (rather than natural selection which is the case in wild animals) it should also be noted that;

The majority of cancers are not hereditary.

Germline DNA repair mutations that increase the risk of cancer, from any of 34 DNA repair genes, are the cause of only about 1% of cancers.

Progeria which you mention in your post is also a "Germline DNA repair mutation disorder". And as you have mentioned with reference to a 'Scientific American' article, it is normally gone after one generation.

Ofcourse, we are not 100% in control of our genes and environment, which is our obvious goal.
I am the universe.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:39 pm

This is gradually becoming a one-man thread.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Hope our minds fuse together into a superbrain
I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:32 am

BYE-BYE BUG Researchers used a gene drive to exterminate two small lab populations of Anopheles gambiae mosquitoes this year. What would their loss mean?

Insect ecologist Tilly Collins of Imperial College London and colleagues dug through existing literature to see what eats An. gambiae and whether other mosquitoes would flourish should their competitor vanish.
So far, extermination of this particular mosquito doesn’t look like an ecological catastrophe, Collins says.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mos ... s-2018-yir
I am the universe.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:23 am

Coincidentally, the same kind of issue came up watching 1000 Days for the Planet "Life in Peril" discussing the near annihilation of Leather Back Turtles. I don't think I have ever heard/read that such turtles are one of the animals that dines on jellyfish. Kill off the turtles and you get the jellyfish blooms that are becoming more prevalent. Those jellies also will capture and eat small fish including the newly born of fish we hoomans like to eat.

I blame the Chinese with all their stupid food fetishes also putting sharks on the extinction list for their fins.

In so many ways.............we are just doing it to ourselves....................

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Web of life is very complicated, no doubt about it.
Exterminating a species of mosquitoes to extinction in the wild with a gene drive has to be full of caveats, no doubt.

What we can do is, to keep a reserve population of the species to be exterminated to extinction, quarantined in our safe custody. In case we notice evidence of some ecological disaster imminent, we will release the quarantined population in the wild. And also help them to increase their numbers, till an ideal balance of nature is achieved.
I am the universe.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Wrong.

Species are fully replaceable.
When one dies out, its role in the ecosystem is taken up by another. At least 99% of all species that ever lived are now extinct, and ecosystems continue.

There are some species we value, like the panda, and try to conserve. But if they died out, it would have very little impact on global ecology. There are other species, like disease carrying mosquitoes, that we would be better off without, and no harmful side effects.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:55 pm

We have to be very careful in making a species go extinct, because, it can sometimes start a chain reaction of extinctions.
I am the universe.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 pm

Quarantined for possible future use.
Isn't that being done with smallpox? There are so many examples of fiddling with species that has gone wrong...........but I assume "if a consensus of qualified scientists agreed" on the wipeout of some species that we could probably get away with it? Smallpox seems like a winner to me. So does "any" mosquito group as there are so many others to fill any niche available. Any CONS that arise could probably be dealt with. What else do Malaria carrying moisquitoes do that other moisquitoes don't? Usually: its some kind of pollination. If its not a food crop: who cares????

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 pm

maunas wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:55 pm
We have to be very careful in making a species go extinct, because, it can sometimes start a chain reaction of extinctions.
Polio anyone? :D

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:49 am

Humans have already caused thousands of species to go extinct. This is undesirable, but it is also clear that global ecologies keep right on working. After all that, humanity is still thriving like never before.

There is no chain reaction of extinctions. You need to be careful, Maunas, where you get your information. A statement like that stinks of woo.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:41 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:49 am
Humans have already caused thousands of species to go extinct. This is undesirable, but it is also clear that global ecologies keep right on working. After all that, humanity is still thriving like never before.

There is no chain reaction of extinctions. You need to be careful, Maunas, where you get your information. A statement like that stinks of woo.
While true, all of that is really off point. THE POINT IS: you introduce cane toads to eat whatever they do and it turns out they don't so you screw up your cane crop.....or was it weasels or whatever? THE POINT IS: you miss your goal. NOT that Mother Earth continues on however it will.

Talk about chasing a straw man down the street....................

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:

Because life forms in a food web depend on one another, the extinction of one species can spell trouble for other life in the ecosystem.
A plant or animal doesn't even have to become extinct to affect one of its predators. The harelip sucker fish, for example, used to eat snails in the 19th century. After waste, topsoil and other debris invaded rivers where the fish lived, the snail population dwindled. The U.S. Geological Survey notes that this decline probably caused the fish to go extinct.

The Domino Effect

Interrelationships within a food web can be so intricate that a chain of disruptive events can occur when one ecosystem component changes. Polar bears, for example, rely on seals for food. The seal population may decline if Arctic cod, a key food supply for seals, dwindles. Cod eat zooplankton, and zooplankton eat ice algae. If climate change causes sea ice to melt, the ice algae population drops, creating a cascading effect that reduces the polar bear population.
As water temperatures rise, the supply of corals decreases. Because other marine life forms live in coral reefs, fewer reefs will lead to disruptions in the food web for creatures that live in the ocean.
This domino effect is a particular threat to animal species that only interact with a small number of plant species, since they are more sensitive to climate change than generalists.
I am the universe.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:26 am

maunas wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 am
Lance Kennedy wrote:
Because life forms in a food web depend on one another, the extinction of one species can spell trouble for other life in the ecosystem.
Sure it "can." But most species don't rely on other single species for food or reproduction. In your own terms, most species are more generalist than specialist. Its called a web for a reason...........very few dead ends.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Agreed, but cascading effect leading slowly to mass extinctions has been seen earlier too. I only insist for caution
I am the universe.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:35 pm

I am unaware of any mass extinction caused by a cascading effect.
Volcanic eruptions, yes. Atmosphere turning to oxygen, yes. Asteroid impact, yes. Two continents coming together, yes. A human population arriving, yes. But not a cascade.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:07 pm

The ambiguity/differing views may hinge on what is meant by "mass" extinction? Many examples of a chain of 1 or 2 maybe 3 but I can't think of any species being inter dependent and the Mass of those species have cascaded to oblivion, but not mass as in many different species being taken down except as lance notes. Interesting Lance avoids listing AGW as a Mass Extinction event.....experienced several times already.........

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:07 pm

So far, Bobbo, AGW is not a mass extinction event. I have read of only one species sent extinct by global warming. There may be others, and there may be more in the future but as a mass extinction event, that is still speculation.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Wasn't the permian extinction co2 driven global warming extinction? My memory is a bit mixed up...........I'll look it up later. The Siberian Methane Traps got heated up and released their fossil co2??? maybe two events over one million years?

Its all definitional..............but not "A" previously as there were no A's around. Thanks for not being a dullard on that issue. My error.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:03 pm
Wasn't the permian extinction co2 driven global warming extinction? My memory is a bit mixed up...........I'll look it up later. The Siberian Methane Traps got heated up and released their fossil co2??? maybe two events over one million years?

Its all definitional..............but not "A" previously as there were no A's around. Thanks for not being a dullard on that issue. My error.
There is still a lot of disagreement/uncertainty around the Permian extinction.

Methane producing bacteria.

It's not an either/or - the vulcanism could have had a causal influence ranging anywhere between 0 - 100%.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 am

Thanks Oleg.

From the Link: Methanosarcina ........ The theory suggests that acquisition of a new metabolic pathway via gene transfer followed by exponential reproduction allowed the microbe to rapidly consume vast deposits of organic carbon in marine sediments, leading to a sharp buildup of methane and carbon dioxide in the Earth's oceans and atmosphere that killed around 90% of the world's species. xxxxxx and/or vulcanism.

In the first possibility: a cascade. In the second, also a cascade but geological rather than species driven.

Once again, all is right with the world. Time for a beer.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 am

Insect populations are declining. But before you say “good riddance,” consider that insects are the cornerstone of many ecosystems. They are dinner for numerous animal species and are essential pollinators. Mammals are loved, but they are not indispensable. Insects are.
I am the universe.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 pm

It's not an either/or - the vulcanism could have had a causal influence ranging anywhere between 0 - 100%.
Vulcanism didn't become a religion until approximately 75 years after Spock's death.
;)
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 am

landrew wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Vulcanism didn't become a religion until approximately 75 years after Spock's death.
;)
No, no.
Vulcanization was discovered by Charles Goodyear in 1843:
https://www.thoughtco.com/vulcanized-rubber-1991862
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 am

https://dailygalaxy.com/2019/01/tip-of- ... centuries/ “Tip of the Iceberg” –Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise from Antarctica in Coming Centuries
I am the universe.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:17 pm

I guess I believe that self-replicating slime could exist every few thousand light years across the Milky Way, but I'm not sure why I should care. It exists every few hundred feet around here.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 am

https://dailygalaxy.com/2019/01/ancient ... -of-years/

The findings also suggest that climate change today could have long-lasting impacts on global temperature even if humans are able to curb greenhouse gas emissions.
I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:48 am

I am the universe.

maunas
Regular Poster

Post by maunas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am

A study reports that 40% of all insect species are threatened with extinction, largely because of intensive agriculture and pesticides, posing "catastrophic consequences" for ecosystems and humans.
I am the universe.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:05 pm

And at the same time, on a local scale, all around the world, the number of insects continue to increase.

That is because humans introduce exotic species everywhere they go. New plants. New insects. New birds. New molluscs. A massive increase in local biodiversity.

While I do not intend to belittle the tragedy of extinctions, it is also clear that biodiversity is a local phenomenon in terms of its impact on ecosystems, and .local biodiversity is growing.