Memory

What you think about how you think.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Memory

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 pm

The latest Science Daily has an item describing research findings on early memory. Normally adults can remember back to some degree to when they were four or five years old. But there are some people who claim to be able to remember things that happened when they were only 2 or 3. The researchers found out that those were false memories. Things people invent and come to believe.

Nothing unusual about that. False memories are a common phenomenon and most of us have them. They are things we have created by thinking about something we really want or really hate. The classic example is the guy who catches a fish that is two kilograms in weight. Five years later, he remembers it as five kilograms. Nothing dishonest. That is his very sincere recollection.

We see this to a large degree among wooists. A guy who sees a light in the sky will remember it five years later as a full blown flying saucer with flashing lights and laser beams. Our preconceptions change our memory. It happens with nasty stuff too. A person sees someone punch another person and to 5 years later it is an extended vicious assault with a club. That is why eye witnesses in law courts are so unreliable, if time has passed.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Re: Memory

Post by Gord » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Hmmm. I do have some memories of when I was very young, before the age of 4 or 5, but they would be impossible to verify. I'm talking about things like the feeling of being held and carried around, the confusion of having adults around me, and ignoring my surroundings because of that confusion.

Hmmmmm, here's another memory I have: The door in my parents' kitchen used to hit me on the top of my head. I would avoid the door because people would open it quickly without looking, and it hurt. That centre of the door knob was 39 inches above the floor; average age for a boy who is 39 inches tall is around three and a half years to four years; I was slightly taller than average, so I might have been in the 75th percentile according to this chart which means I could have been three years old at the time. (My full-grown adult height of 6'2½" would suggest I might even have followed the 95th percentile growth pattern, in which case I could have been two and a half years old.) I also remember getting hit in the eye by that door knob, and in the nose, and in the chin -- evidence that I grew several inches as a child. :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 am

I have memories of those early memories, but I doubt that any of the original memories remain.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 am

It is really, really easy to believe fake memories are real. I suspect we all do it. Hopefully, the genuine skeptics among us do it less than other people ??

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Post by Dimebag » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 am

I have a memory of seeing a play school performance, supposedly I was 18 months old. However, I suspect that this may have been implanted by my parents through anecdote, and by my imagination elaborating on their story, though when I remember, it seems vivid, and embodied. I'm really not too sure.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Well done, Dimebag, for accepting that it may not be real. Fake memories may appear very real, and it requires a rational mind to overcome the desire to simply accept what is not real. A mark of maturity and wisdom.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 pm

I have early memories too - from a place we lived and moved away from when I was 4 and from having my stomach pumped out when I was three. These are not false memories, having recently been reconfirmed with elder siblings. I have some other memories I have not reconfirmed - such as climbing out of the crib, which would have been when I was 2 or 3, and of course this could easily be a false memory - brought on by the horrors of imprisonment.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:41 am

I remember being in a crib and seeing a cockroach climbing up the wall, then screaming my head off. My parents confirmed that this actually happened.

The odd thing is that I remember staring at the cockroach for some time before I came to understand that it was a terrifying sort of thing and that I ought to be terrified of it. It wasn't instantaneous like an instinct; it was more like realising for the first time how an object's shape is related to the shape of the shadow it casts, as it slips over the shadow and eclipses it, from the perfect angle.

It's made me think that humans might have genetic memories, but that if so, they only activate when we're still very underdeveloped.

I also have a very clear childhood memory which couldn't possibly be real: A tree with a cascade of constantly falling leaves. The way I remember it, with the stream of leaves falling like a river and never abating, it's clearly impossible. But I remember it so clearly (and remember remembering it) that for the longest time, I thought there had to be real places like Narnia, with really fantastical things in them. I was always thinking that if only I could get back to the park where I saw that tree, I could go to them.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:15 am

I have a memory which was confirmed in every detail by my mother. I was lying belly-down on the floor, big, fat blue wax crayon in hand, and was about to draw my masterwork onto the paper-y thing on the floor in front of me. My mother shouted, bent down and snatched said paper-y thing out of my reach. I think it must have been the sudden shout which pinned the event in my memory. It turns out that the paper-y thing was our ration book which, had I defaced it, would have become invalid and we would have had little protein for some time. Food rationing ended in the UK on 4th July, 1954, so this event could not have occurred after that date. As my birthday is May 5th, I could not have been older than 3 years and 1 month. There are a couple of other memories of that time in my head, but I can't pin them down so precisely.
So Yah Boo Sucks to Science Daily 8-) .

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:28 pm

I have a memory of getting my head stuck in the bars of a crib. Since I have a brother who is two years younger than I am, I have no idea how old I could have been while still lying in a crib.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

there is no evidence of false memories....made up to explain the unexplainable...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:10 pm

There's at least as much evidence for false memories as there is for fake news, I'd say.

landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 pm

gorgeous wrote:there is no evidence of false memories....made up to explain the unexplainable...
By false memories, they refer to recounted memories that are later verified to have been false. Memories brought out under hypnosis are particularly unreliable, it has been found.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:40 pm

gorgeous wrote:there is no evidence of false memories....made up to explain the unexplainable...
Google Elizabeth Loftus, who is a chief researcher on false memories. She has accumulated vast amounts of empirical evidence on the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Loftus

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 pm

show me a memory
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm

she works for Satanists...illuminati pedos

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 am

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Gord wrote:
gorgeous wrote:show me a memory
https://www.computerhope.com/cdn/computer-memory.jpg
Or... the older Magnetic Core Memory

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 am

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
Fake photoshopped image composed of multiple other fake photoshopped images taken from globetard "space".
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:09 am

Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
Fake photoshopped image composed of multiple other fake photoshopped images taken from globetard "space".
Or... the even OLDER memory, though it is hard to perform the recall.... and who says nothing is written in stone?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
Or... the even OLDER memory, though it is hard to perform the recall.... and who says nothing is written in stone?
Dinosaurs!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?