Fair ?

What you think about how you think.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Fair ?

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Reference, New Scientist 31 March 2018, page 28

The world is not equal. According to the above article, the 8 richest people on this planet have wealth equal to all the possessions of the poorest 50% of the human race. That is, 8 people own as much as 3,500,000,000 people. I think we can all regard that is being grossly and disgustingly unequal.

In the USA, 85 % of the wealth is held by 20 % of the people. The poorest 40 % hold less than 1% of the wealth. Pew Research surveyed 44 countries and found that a majority in all 44 said the gap between rich and poor was a big problem. It would appear that most people have an aversion to unequal distribution of wealth.

However, when you add in fairness in this survey, things change. Most people are happy for others to have more wealth if it can be justified by them doing more to earn it. If a person works very hard, or has more education, or is a very clever businessperson, or a capable professional, much of the aversion to unequal distribution of wealth disappears.

On the other hand, if dealing with unfair inequality ( like Donald Trump received a lot of money handed down from his grandfather, who made a lot of money running a brothel, to his father who made even more building houses for returned WWII veterans), then people get much more opposed. Inequality due to a person's own efforts is one thing, but most people oppose inequality that comes purely as a result of luck, or by having rich parents.

My own view is that the very rich should be more heavily taxed than ordinary people, and the money used to assist those who are less well off. I see no reason why anyone should have billions of dollars to spend. Especially if, like Trump, those billions came from someone else's efforts.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Re: Fair ?

Post by Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Reference, New Scientist 31 March 2018, page 28

... The world is not equal. According to the above article, the 8 richest people on this planet have wealth equal to all the possessions of the poorest 50% of the human race. That is, 8 people own as much as 3,500,000,000 people. I think we can all regard that is being grossly and disgustingly unequal.
I haven't done the homework, Lance, but it occurs to me that it's distinctly possible that this has been the norm for most of the history of the human race.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Not according to the New Scientist article, Poodle, which says the level of inequality has increased dramatically.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 am

fairness has always been the key demand of individuals living in societies: you need to feel that you are being treated fairly compared to your Peers.
The big change came with Humanism, which states that all humans are your Peers.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Not according to the New Scientist article, Poodle, which says the level of inequality has increased dramatically.
OK - but I'll keep going a little longer. Increased dramatically since when?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:00 am

Over the past 100 years.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Over the past 100 years.
Compared to living under Genghis Khan?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

What we have to ask is whether inequality has increased faster than the potential for inequality.

With all the extra goods in different levels of quality, there is just so much more gradation and potential extremes: it is no longer a question of having or not having an item, but of having none and having the top-of-the-line, bespoke version of something.

Taking this into consideration, I would say that the inequality between having no food and decent food is larger than between having basic food and Gourmet quality.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Poodle wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Reference, New Scientist 31 March 2018, page 28

... The world is not equal. According to the above article, the 8 richest people on this planet have wealth equal to all the possessions of the poorest 50% of the human race. That is, 8 people own as much as 3,500,000,000 people. I think we can all regard that is being grossly and disgustingly unequal.
I haven't done the homework, Lance, but it occurs to me that it's distinctly possible that this has been the norm for most of the history of the human race.
Until the Black Death peasants were a dime a dozen. Labor became valuable when there was a shortage.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Taking this into consideration, I would say that the inequality between having no food and decent food is larger than between having basic food and Gourmet quality.
Absolutely. But what if we took the excess wealth through taxes from those 8 richest people, and totally solved the no food problem ?

That could be done with wise investment in appropriate agriculture and contraception, and the solution would be permanent.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I start with the premise that every great fortune is founded upon a crime. Whats changed in the past 100 years, is the criminals have bought the law makers and have made their crimes: "legal." What else is a special provision or a loophole? Why do most congress creeps enter office with modest means but all leave a millionaire or more?

Tax policy: its fun to look at trend charts. 50 years ago...40% of gubment revenue was from Corporate Tax while today its down to 15% and Think Tanks recommend Zero tax. You know: jobs.

Its all so phony, yet working chumps vote for this all the time. I hear Ryan wants to spend more time with his family.................. ha, ha.

(My numbers may not be exact...but the trend is right.)
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 pm

During Absolutism, the ruler could take whatever he wanted, legally. The idea of private property protected from the whims of the ruler was first established with the Magna Carta.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:
Absolutely. But what if we took the excess wealth through taxes from those 8 richest people, and totally solved the no food problem ?

That could be done with wise investment in appropriate agriculture and contraception, and the solution would be permanent.
if you take from the rich and take care of the poor --- you have 21 billion instead of 7 billion .
and all wild animal life extinct .
plus that has a much chance of happening as shrinks being exposed as scams .
why talk about stuff that aint gonna happen unless there is Armageddon ?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am

PIAS

Sorry, but you are wrong.
Population growth is at its strongest among the very poor. Wealthier people, or even middle class, do not grow their populations. It takes average fertility of 2.1 children per woman to break even, and more than that to make the population grow. Wealthy people average less than 2.1. The most effective means of reducing population growth is to increase average wealth. Having a few very rich and a heap of poor will make the population grow. Having everyone less than rich but more than poor will stop population growth.

Whether it is possible or not is another issue. Certainly in a very corrupt country, like the USA, where the wealthy pay off the politicians to get policies favoring the rich, it ain't gonna happen. But a number of other nations have already achieved a measure of success along this path. E.g. Norway, Iceland, Denmark etc.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

the game is rigged and meant to be that way.....people are easier to control when they merely struggle to survive.... ---------- Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: How the U.S. Uses ...

https://www.democracynow.org/2004/11/9/ ... ic_hit_man

Nov 9, 2004 - We speak with John Perkins, a former respected member of the international banking community. In his book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man he describes how as a highly paid professional, he helped the U.S. cheat poor countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars by lending them more money ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm

“… The modern theory of the perpetuation of debt has drenched the earth with blood, and crushed its inhabitants under burdens ever accumulating.” -Thomas Jefferson ------------“History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance.” -James Madison---------------“The few who understand the system will either be so interested in its profits or be so dependent upon its favours that there will be no opposition from that class, while on the other hand, the great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that capital derives from the system, will bear its burdens without complaint, and perhaps without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests.” The Rothschild brothers of London writing to associates in New York, 1863.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Apart from your ongoing paranoia, gorgeous, how is this related to culture ?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm

not paranoia...reality from the mouths of the bankers themselves...search banker quotes for more honesty about the rigged game....culture matters not....war and debt are the goals to enslave the world...

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Still off topic, gorgeous.
I started this thread to discuss the impact of inequality. Not conspiracies.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:29 am

Define.............fair.

Pragmatically, when wealth inequality becomes too great, revolutions are fomented often to the harm of everyone involved. Fair is connected to this outcome in direct and tenuous ways. Seems to me there should not be a single Billionaire as long as there is a single hungry child or an uneducated one.

That reminds me....I wanted to look up what the tuition is today in the College I went to. I went virtually for free and worked my way through what expense there was. I assume I'd have to take on some debt today....which really would make me TODAY think about whether or not it was worth it. Even at the time, seems to me to be about equally split between learning anything vs having time to grow up a bit more.

I pity the kiddies of today.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 am

Bobbo

I do not think there is any universal definition of "Fair " in this context. Everyone will have his or her own one. It is about perception.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:06 am

Fair: without cheating or trying to achieve unjust advantage.

unjust: not based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fair.

Probably hits the center of the issue?....I just go with pragmatism. If it doesn't work, its kinda like a bad tool?

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:34 am

Libertarians believe that no matter how fair or unfair, this inequality is right.

If people starve because they have nothing, better that than for someone to steal to live.

You can follow someone around and harass them for ten years, and if you never touch them, or their property, it's not wrong because it's not aggression.

You should have the right to commit blackmail.

You can make a contract, and break it, and if you used the words "I promise to give you" instead of "I hereby transfer title" no one should be able to make you pay what you said. But if you said the latter, you're a thief.

If one person owns all the property, it's right for him to make whatever rules he wants on his own land, expel anyone he wants (into space, if necessary), but if the government makes a law that says you can't smoke in a restaurant, or even that they have to have smoking an non-smoking sections, that's aggression, and absolutely wrong.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 am

Wordbird wrote: If people starve because they have nothing, better that than for someone to steal to live.
Any person stating such isn't thinking very clearly. Done swallowed the koolaide.

..............tell me it ain't so?????

landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:11 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wordbird wrote: If people starve because they have nothing, better that than for someone to steal to live.
Any person stating such isn't thinking very clearly. Done swallowed the koolaide.

During times of severe famine, some people slaughter zoo animals, and others just lie down and die. Hard to tell if they didn't steal for ideological reasons.

During the siege of Leningrad during WW2, people died of starvation while protecting the seed stocks repository.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 am

landrew wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:

During times of severe famine, some people slaughter zoo animals, and others just lie down and die. Hard to tell if they didn't steal for ideological reasons.

During the siege of Leningrad during WW2, people died of starvation while protecting the seed stocks repository.
Yep. Cynic that I am, even I have to admit that altruism is alive and well. It's just not evenly distributed.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:27 am

The reality of what some people will do is irrelevant for the moral principles involved. As I posted already: there should be NO Billionaire as long as there is a hungry or uneducated child.

Simple values. There is no argument to support: "I got mine....F You." Now....it is said and done all the time.....just not with any moral argument.

Heh, heh...…….I know.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:There is no argument to support: "I got mine....F You."
Lol, you think so? Ask a libertarian.

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bi ... rd=freedom

If they ask a preregistry question, the answer is probably Ludwig von Mises.

landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 pm

gorgeous wrote:not paranoia...reality from the mouths of the bankers themselves...search banker quotes for more honesty about the rigged game....culture matters not....war and debt are the goals to enslave the world...
Sociopaths have a compulsion for telling the truth about their misdeeds.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 am

Wordbird wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:There is no argument to support: "I got mine....F You."
Lol, you think so? Ask a libertarian.

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bi ... rd=freedom

If they ask a preregistry question, the answer is probably Ludwig von Mises.
Finish the quote.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:05 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Finish the quote.
What quote is it?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:28 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: There is no argument to support: "I got mine....F You." Now....it is said and done all the time.....just not with any moral argument.
ie: said and done all the time by libertards.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Libertarians absolutely believe "I got mine, so screw you" is moral. They think it's the only thing that's moral. They think "forcing" a billionaire to give away a single apple so a child may live is absolute moral anathema because it's "aggression".

They also endorse all manner of scamming and contract finagling with whatever words they can twist and abuse so they get paid for nothing while just barely saying that if it's fraud, it's aggression.

And I prefer the term freetard.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:54 am

Selecting the right label is always a worthwhile effort notwithstanding its shabby goals. Freetard is not good because it does not "connect" to word/letters/label Libertarians. Free relates to too many other issues. Liber relates to only a few, if not just one? Besides....free has a positive ring to it. Would not like to tarnish that more than needed.

As stated: libertards can "SAY" its immoral to take their third yacht away from them to feed the hungry: but they are wrong. ///////////Ok.....following my own dictum to read the Dictionary.....I have to agree that corrupt evil self centered hypocritical belief systems still comprise a "morality" if you will...……………."until"...…...you had that morality also on further look has a popular vote about it. I'll quibble then and say: Firm Libertards have a corrupted morality that is not supported by any but a few of the AlreadyTooRich. (((and then considering the Trump Base, I'd be wrong about that too! RATS. I hate stupid people.))))

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:14 am

Everyone interested in what libertarians actually believe should read this. It's a long read, but by the end of it, I don't think you'll be able to hold a straight face if some libertarian is accused of believing in scamming as a right and he screams, "STRAWMAN!" as they always do.

https://mises.org/library/property-righ ... -contracts

It literally says you should be able to break a contract because no one should ever have to keep their promises.

Then it says you should have to pay your loan shark back because that's a different sort of contract, and a different sort of agreement, you see.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Your summary is EXCELLENT. No need to read nonsense. …. and btw, I am a bit surprised the libertards could be that far off center....but that is why they are tards.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am

Wordbird wrote:Everyone interested in what libertarians actually believe should read this.
I support your assertion.

The Libertarians are now an international movement run from a Swiss registered corporation .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... an_Parties

The Russian Duma has 2 Libertarian party members. The USA has none.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertari ... _of_Russia

There is reason to think that the "Libertarians" are a formed tea party side party, observed and incorporated under Russian dominance to have foreign influence.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your summary is EXCELLENT. No need to read nonsense. …. and btw, I am a bit surprised the libertards could be that far off center....but that is why they are tards.
I know my summary is excellent. You know it too.

It's just that I don't believe a random person reading my summary would ever believe that.

They always scream "STRAWMAN!" and they have the world believing that they're slightly crazy folks who just want to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

Whenever someone suggests that they're amoral shysters who want scamming legalised specifically so they can hurt people by scamming them, the response is dismissive, and may even include the words "conspiracy theorist" - nevermind what they'll say about this:
Matthew Ellard wrote:The Russian Duma has 2 Libertarian party members. The USA has none.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertari ... _of_Russia

There is reason to think that the "Libertarians" are a formed tea party side party, observed and incorporated under Russian dominance to have foreign influence.
That entire article is constructed to make scamming people as easy and as legal as possible.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:00 pm

If you had the greater perspective of people who have nde's and obe's you would see as they do that everything occurs according to perfect order.... grey alien said to abductee who asked about evil -- "life is wonderfully fair. When you see a small child that becomes ill and dies...the child doesn't need to be here anymore ...the child has advanced...much as you would skip a grade in school......Without those that are detrimental to society others could not advance...there is nothing to overcome.....Evil serves a necessary purpose"

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:20 pm

gorgeous wrote:If you had the greater perspective of people who have nde's and obe's ..."
:roll: