Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

What you think about how you think.
User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10973
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 am

placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:... I know what I AM and I know what I'm not ...
Almost correct. The genuine version goes "I am what I am and that's all that I am, I'm Popeye the Sailorman (poop, poop)".
How do you know that?

You forgot to add the knower?

Who knows I am?

If you don't answer that genuinely, then who is going to believe a word you say?
What on Earth are you on? How do I know what, for goodness sake? Do I need to research all the Popeye cartoons I watched as a kid? You're having trouble making sensible sentences from words. You know 'words'? They carry meaning. You don't.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by placid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

Poodle wrote: You know 'words'? They carry meaning. You don't.
Now who's contradicting them self?

You've clearly said You know words. And that they carry meaning but the you that you said knows words don't.( :? :?

So which You are you talking about? ..the word known or the knower of the word?..or the you that said knows the word and it's meaning but doesn't actually know who that you is that knows the meaning of a word?

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10973
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 am

Gobbledeygook is not a form of argument.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by placid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:46 am

Poodle wrote:Gobbledeygook is not a form of argument.
Oh, I didn't realise this forum was a place for form to engage in argument.

Why would you want to argue with your form?

Are there two of you?

Or is it that without your form you've got nothing to bounce off? and that's not much fun really is it, nothing to bounce off, so we'll just imagine there is something there separate from us, opposing us...yes, that'll give us something to do with our nobody here syndrome.

Did you know that you are made of the thing your sitting in, namely, empty space, I mean where else could you have come from..........? did you just suddenly drop in out of nowhere inbetween two infinite nothingnesses? wow..cool trick man.. :lol:

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10973
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 pm

placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:Gobbledeygook is not a form of argument.
Oh, I didn't realise this forum was a place for form to engage in argument.
It's a forum. What kind of place did you think it was? An ashram? A poetry appreciation society? It's a forum dedicated to scientific skepticism, a fact which constantly escapes you as you have no idea what it means. Unless you have something a little more concrete than the mumblings of the terminally confused, it really isn't the place for you.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by placid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:Gobbledeygook is not a form of argument.
Oh, I didn't realise this forum was a place for form to engage in argument.
It's a forum. What kind of place did you think it was? An ashram? A poetry appreciation society? It's a forum dedicated to scientific skepticism, a fact which constantly escapes you as you have no idea what it means. Unless you have something a little more concrete than the mumblings of the terminally confused, it really isn't the place for you.
Hmm, I think your the one that is in a terminal state of confusion mate. I mean you have never been alive before, and yet you set up camp on a skepticism forum holding on for dear life as if your life depended on it, the position of having an attitude of doubt.

A bit odd really don't you think? .. I mean what is it you are actually doubting ?


I can just imagine my cat wandering around outside, continually scratching it's head, then having arguments with other cats... saying things like ..hey miss moggykins do you doubt that scraggy old ginger tom from down the back alley, I do, but I don't know why... and I also doubt I'm going to get any food tonight do you? ...maybe, but I doubt it...

Weird, just absolutely f*ckin crazy mental nutcases are humans.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10973
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:07 pm

You're slipping out of character.

Why do you think my attitude is one of doubt? I don't doubt you, for instance, because I know what you are.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 35082
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by Gord » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:22 pm

placid wrote:Weird, just absolutely f*ckin crazy mental nutcases are humans.
Some more than others, "placid".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Computational simulation of a brain cannot produce consciousness?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Poodle wrote:You're slipping out of character.
Yep. Placid can't keep it up. I bet you a pound that Placid can't remember what he told us his occupation is. Placid deleted that post, but I didn't. :D