What does the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" mean?

What you think about how you think.
placid
Frequent Poster

Re: What does the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" mean?

Post by placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:33 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Proving what that particular New Age spirituality promotes and produces: a batch of conceited, selfish and self-obsessed jerks.

Well, what would one expect. It's religious, after all...
Who told you that? ...did you believe it, obviously you have. Strange what we believe, what we believe is what we become.

Now all we got to do is figure out where all this belief is coming from? ......who is the believer?

Do I get any dog treats for this one?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:46 pm

placid wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Proving what that particular New Age spirituality promotes and produces: a batch of conceited, selfish and self-obsessed jerks.

Well, what would one expect. It's religious, after all...
Who told you that? ...did you believe it, obviously you have. Strange what we believe, what we believe is what we become.

Now all we got to do is figure out where all this belief is coming from? ......who is the believer?

Do I get any dog treats for this one?
I already gave you beans. What more do you want?
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:17 pm

I've said it before - then more in jest - that I would not mind a separate place for these kind of Believers™. Anything to do with so-called "Nonduality".

That particular and growing trend is one of the worst so-called "teaching" for weaker minds. They latch onto the glorious idea of having no responsibility whatsoever. Whatever conscience they might have had has left with the first train out. Even think they are heroes for imposing their blown out of proportion egos in the name of the "One True Love that is true because it loves all things because it is all things" - as with scat, and Hitler, ya know.

You get the picture...

ETA how about a Nondual Spam filter? :mrgreen:
Lard, save me from your followers.

placid
Frequent Poster

Post by placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:53 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I've said it before - then more in jest - that I would not mind a separate place for these kind of Believers™. Anything to do with so-called "Nonduality".

That particular and growing trend is one of the worst so-called "teaching" for weaker minds. They latch onto the glorious idea of having no responsibility whatsoever. Whatever conscience they might have had has left with the first train out. Even think they are heroes for imposing their blown out of proportion egos in the name of the "One True Love that is true because it loves all things because it is all things" - as with scat, and Hitler, ya know.

You get the picture...

ETA how about a Nondual Spam filter? :mrgreen:

Consciousness isn't owned, consciousness owns everything.

Responsibility either happens or it doesn't, ...there are consequences for irresponsibility of course,... but what ever happens will not make one iota of difference or have any effect on consciousness, because nothing ever happened to consciousness.

placid
Frequent Poster

Post by placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:55 pm

scrmbldggs wrote: I would not mind a separate place for these kind of Believers™.
Belief's we are absolutely sure about?

You go first....

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 pm

She means airheads like you, placid. No further definition needed.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 pm

There is a place for the placids of this world - it is in banishment to the realm of ignore.... going, going, going - gone.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00 am

placid wrote: Avatar placid lives a very fulfilling life. One runs one's own business as well. Self employed.
Your'e a shepherd. You run after sheep in Scotland. Your posting here simply because you are lonely, which is understandable, because only a complete idiot would promote Buddhist philosophy on a science based skeptic forum.

I liked the Christmas baubles that you made for yourself, even though you don't think you have a "self." It goes to show your ongoing confusion. :D

placid
Frequent Poster

Post by placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: you don't think you have a "self." It goes to show your ongoing confusion. [/color] :D
I do not have a self I am the self.... (subtle difference)

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
placid wrote: Avatar placid lives a very fulfilling life. One runs one's own business as well. Self employed.
Your'e a shepherd. You run after sheep in Scotland. Your posting here simply because you are lonely, which is understandable, because only a complete idiot would promote Buddhist philosophy on a science based skeptic forum.

I liked the Christmas baubles that you made for yourself, even though you don't think you have a "self." It goes to show your ongoing confusion. :D
I must disagree with you, Matthew. Placid does not run after sheep - that's far too proactive. Placid contemplates sheep to determine if they are sheep or notsheep and, in either case, whether to knit one or crochet one to sell or not sell to the general public who are unaware of the true nature of sheepitude.

placid
Frequent Poster

Post by placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:17 pm

"Man must have results, real results, in his inner and outer life. I do not mean the results which modern people strive after in their attempts at self-development. These are not results, but only rearrangements of psychic material, a process the Buddhists call *samsara* and which our Holy Bible calls *dust*."

Tomorrow, I'm off on my yearly trip to visit my cabin retreat deep within the Norwegian countryside, then off to spend a few days at the Norwegian fjord's. Be gone for about a week.

Tatty bye for now.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Beware the OoB monster.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:06 pm

placid, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
That was one good post - as good as the ones that said ................. :)

mirror93
Regular Poster

Post by mirror93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 am

placid wrote: Oneness doesn't know
It seems you imagine "oneness" is a real 'being' which is the combination of all multiple consciousnessess of all individuals, then all beings together creates a whole, becomes inseparable, and then this One real whole creates the real self "oneness". :lol: :lol: :lol: Such BS don't even make sense . to 'know' something, requires you to be aware through observation, inquiry, or information. Such a being could never exist, because the combination of all individuals would never create a real self, a giant self with the face of "nature", just like you hippies, new-agers love to preach, some form of pantheistic "god", the real self, oneness, BS.
placid wrote: Nothing belongs to you.
Then your computer isn't yours? Anyone can own your house, your cars? etc? Tell me your address
placid wrote: because I Placid am nothing and understand nothing and talk nothing about nothing
Seriously, you are so useless placid? c'mon, you may have something of knowledge to offer (I haven't seen any yet tho), but you yourself may have something inside you of value and substance that may be important for yourself, at least I believe :lol:
placid wrote: The concept''nothing'' is not what you think it is..
noth·ing
ˈnəTHiNG/Submit
pronoun
not anything; no single thing.
"I said nothing"
sinônimos: not a thing, not anything, nil, zero, naught/nought; Mais
adjectiveinformal
having no prospect of progress; of no value.
"he had a series of nothing jobs"
adverb
not at all.
"she cares nothing for others"

placid wrote: ''nothing is equivalent to everything"
The antonym of nothing is SOMETHING.
Tell me in which dictionary nothing is EVEN antonym for 'everything'? let alone equivalent
placid wrote: - you are that..
you are who? that one who falsely creates a dictionary with new erroneous meanings?
:paladin:

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:55 am

In an idle moment, I Googled "Are there any professional shepherds on Skye?"
Back came the response "Skye proves a popular sanctuary for otters".
I feel this may be meaningful.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 am

Images for Skye Otter Hides for sale...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 am

TJrandom wrote:Images for Skye Otter Hides for sale...
MOM!
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm

I otter leave this alone, but I Connaught.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

oppressor

Post by oppressor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: you don't think you have a "self." It goes to show your ongoing confusion. [/color] :D
I do not have a self / I am a self.... (subtle difference)
and where is the difference?

mirror93
Regular Poster

Post by mirror93 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 am

oppressor wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am
placid wrote:
the difference is that she does have a self, her memories.

placid
Frequent Poster

Post by placid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am

oppressor wrote:
placid wrote:
Buddha is a symbolic representation of no conceptual thing..and not a literal thing in and of itself...it's symbolic in language only which is only used as a pointer...knowledge informs the illusory nature of reality since there is no thing making language happen, it's not literal, it's a dream story arising from the void. There is only the void directly manifesting all at once now. Every concept is couched within it, not independant of it.

No concept can do anything, concepts are within the dream of illusory separation. Dreamer and dream are one in the instantaneous undivided whole which is wholly present right now. No thing can kill that which has never been born.

The meaning is that life and death are the same. Whether there is living or dead makes no difference, because all is enclosed within the eternal NOW.

placid
Frequent Poster

Post by placid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:20 am

mirror93 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 am
oppressor wrote:
placid wrote:

Like I said, there is no difference between life and death. They only differ in appearance, appearances have no reality, no more than a nightly dream has a reality. There is nothing in a memory that is alive. The self is both alive and dead yet neither.

mirror93
Regular Poster

Post by mirror93 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:40 am

placid wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:20 am
mirror93 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 am
oppressor wrote:
placid wrote:

Like I said, there is no difference between life and death. They only differ in appearance, appearances have no reality, no more than a nightly dream has a reality. There is nothing in a memory that is alive. The self is both alive and dead yet neither.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Hey placid, you're back :wave:
Promise you will watch it just like I watched the video you posted?

Here for your dualism religion: (at 1:11:27) {also, ignores (1:15:05 to 1:15:50) {when he starts arguing for religious woo}

But the video, besides being made by a christian, shows how much of your GNOSTIC religion is absurd, Placid.

That shows how much of the understanding of life is just a perception that helps us to ackonowledge those who are in danger of dying against those who are not. If life wasn't what we commonly view as life, accidents wouldn't be avoided, people wouldn't save each other anymore, as they wouldn't know how to differ those who are alive by those who are dead. Can you understand it Placid or you will play dumb forever?

Your self ARE JUST memories, you have a self, and they are memories, lose your memories tomorrow and you lose what you have as yourself, and you will lose EVERYTHING about the memories of what you say here, you wouldn't even post anything about your religion anymore, you wouldn't know anything, your self, your memories, your existence, your life, your knowledge, anything subjectively would be blank.

I don't know what you mean by appearances, really, I know that it's the way that someone or something looks. not its essence or its matter

mirror93
Regular Poster

Post by mirror93 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:04 am

placid wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am
oppressor wrote:
placid wrote:
Buddha is a symbolic representation of no conceptual thing..
Nope, that was made up by you. Nothing "no-thing" or "thing" about it.
The teaching founded by the Buddha is known, in English, as Buddhism. It may be asked, who is the Buddha? A Buddha is one who has attained Bodhi; and by Bodhi is meant wisdom, an ideal state of intellectual and ethical perfection which can be achieved by man through purely human means. The term Buddha literally means enlightened one, a knower. Buddhists believe that a Buddha is born in each aeon of time, and our Buddha—the sage Gotama who attained enlightenment under the bo tree at Buddh Gaya in India—was the seventh in the succession.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... sm/306832/
placid wrote:
and not a literal thing in and of itself...it's symbolic in language only which is only used as a pointer...knowledge informs the illusory nature of reality since there is no thing making language happen, it's not literal, it's a dream story arising from the void. There is only the void directly manifesting all at once now. Every concept is couched within it, not independant of it.
The nature of reality IS NOT illusory, otherwise you wouldn't know how to differ illusion from reality.
Language do not happen, it is made happen by individuals.
Dreams are JUST a series of symbols, representing a feeling, a mood, a memory or something from your unconscious occurring in your unconscious mind during sleep. Nothing more than that. Dreams don't happen, dreams are dreamed by people.
Void is just the empty space between you and a chair, and everything else and all the rest, and all the rest we don't know of ...Void is created when there are objects. Empty space is just distance. Void is distance. The object itself has its own substance. :shock: Shocking huh? Slowly you will be learning. Then you will learn how your computer is made of and why you pay for your external REAL internet provider to post BS on internet.
placid wrote:
No thing can kill that which has never been born.
What is "That" ? Can a "That" be born?
I think you mean you were never born, you have no birthday date, right?, right? then answer this.
1. Are you immortal Placid? Tell us your secret
2. You have no parents? Aliens brought you here?
placid wrote:
The meaning is that life and death are the same. Whether there is living or dead makes no difference, because all is enclosed within the eternal now.
Nope, death is the absence of life.
"now" is an illusion, there is nothing eternal.
Check your posts made on 2015, this literally debunks your "eternal" present, this should be "eternal past"