The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

What you think about how you think.
User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10535
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by Poodle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:13 am

placid wrote:... My quality of life is poor physically, but mentally, I'm fine, but even though I cannot get out of the house these days ...
Getting to Norway must have been sheer hell for you.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:16 am

Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:... My quality of life is poor physically, but mentally, I'm fine, but even though I cannot get out of the house these days ...
Getting to Norway must have been sheer hell for you.

It was, it was agony...spend the whole time lying on the couch. I'm Not ever returning.

It was 5 years ago that I went... the condition I have gets worse year on year.

My son lives and works there, I had to go to attend his marriage to a Norwegian girl, else I wouldn't have gone.

Is there anymore things you would like me to divulge about myself?

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10535
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by Poodle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 am

placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:... My quality of life is poor physically, but mentally, I'm fine, but even though I cannot get out of the house these days ...
Getting to Norway must have been sheer hell for you.

It was, it was agony...spend the whole time lying on the couch. Not ever returning.

It was 5 years ago that I went. the condition I have gets worse year on year.

My son lives and works there, I had to go to attend his marriage to a Norwegian girl, else I wouldn't have gone.
Joined:Wed Jun 24, 2015 ... is what your profile says. By Earth reckoning, it's early 2018 now.
Before the Great Deletion, you told us that you were GOING to Norway.

Let's do the Time Warp again ...

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:33 am

Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:... My quality of life is poor physically, but mentally, I'm fine, but even though I cannot get out of the house these days ...
Getting to Norway must have been sheer hell for you.

It was, it was agony...spend the whole time lying on the couch. Not ever returning.

It was 5 years ago that I went. the condition I have gets worse year on year.

My son lives and works there, I had to go to attend his marriage to a Norwegian girl, else I wouldn't have gone.
Joined:Wed Jun 24, 2015 ... is what your profile says. By Earth reckoning, it's early 2018 now.
Before the Great Deletion, you told us that you were GOING to Norway.

Let's do the Time Warp again ...
Yes, I did, you are correct, But I didn't go in the end, circumstances changed.

Anything else you'd like me to divulge Columbo ?

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am

The conversation you are referring to was about when you accused me of ever having been to Norway...and all I said in reply was that I have been to Norway.

What is your problem?

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10535
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by Poodle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:30 pm

It's not so much a problem as a method of dealing with a compulsive liar.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Poodle wrote:It's not so much a problem as a method of dealing with a compulsive liar.
Okay if you say so, but it was said in present tense today...I said I was never returning to Norway...I didn't say it back when we had the conversation of when you accused me of never having gone to Norway.

You lied when you said that....compulsive idiot.

Bye the way if I was a liar, I would know I was lying... so why would I want to lie?

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10535
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by Poodle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm

It's what compulsive liars do, by definition. Who knows why? It's a mystery to me.

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Poodle wrote:It's what compulsive liars do, by definition. Who knows why? It's a mystery to me.
The mystery is solved in knowing it is a mystery ...in other words, unknowable, in other words, imagined.

If you like to keep playing the Necrophilia game, then what can I do about that?

It's not my game, this one here is awake.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:34 pm

placid wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
placid wrote:And it's what you fear the most.
I freely admit that "not knowing anything" is my biggest fear. I'm physically disabled with multiple chronic pain and autoimmune disorders, but my intellectual life helps make dealing with them easier. Dementia, stroke, or traumatic brain injury would end my quality of life, since it would deprive me of nearly everything I enjoy.
I too have the same condition as you, isn't that a surprise? :o
Yes and no. Like me, you post at all hours, so I suspected you either worked from home or was not working for some reason.
placid wrote:The collapsing of the separate self notion has made this one here able to endure anything. Peace amid the chaos, in the world but not of it. Just abiding in unbiased nondual presence, it's beautiful.
I feel I may begin to understand you, Placid. If, like me, you live with chronic pain, then it becomes necessary to modulate the way you think in order to accept that pain will be a constant companion without falling into depression. We merely took two different approaches. I get the sense, though, that in embracing the entire universe as "you," you have isolated yourself as "other."
placid wrote:And then I come to this forum because I want to have some {!#%@} stirring fun like everyone else here...I love to watch the settled mud of the muddy mind be mixed up again with the clarity(water)(liquid mind) at the top, until nothing is seen of the clarity until it becomes clear again, which it does as soon as one stops shaking it up, it comes clear every time, thank goodness...I'm a she by the way.
I'm also female, and enjoy the {!#%@}-stirring fun quite a lot. :mrgreen: I do think you would be better served to continue the project you began: the serious discussion of your philosophy versus that of the skeptic. As I've said, learning new things is a joy. I'll listen to you if you'll listen to me...courteously.
placid wrote:My quality of life is poor physically, but mentally, I'm fine, but even though I cannot get out of the house these days, I've still got an imagination...which can take me anywhere, and experience anything...not sure if that imagination would be affected by stroke brain injury or dementia as those things have not been my experience yet.
I'm glad for you. Truly. I can't imagine being physically disabled without intellectual interests; that must be incredibly difficult to accept. I mean, what does a person like that do when they can no longer "do?" Watch TV? Sleep? Spend hours on Facebook? That's like dying on the installment plan.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: Ogod. And I woke it up. My apologies to the entire forum.
Don't worry. Angel has some sort of weird relationship with her brother and thus posts poems about Jesus on our science forum. It's just another disorganised mad person seeking attention.
Now her string of emojis is even more confusing. :?
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:39 pm

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: Ogod. And I woke it up. My apologies to the entire forum.
Don't worry. Angel has some sort of weird relationship with her brother and thus posts poems about Jesus on our science forum. It's just another disorganised mad person seeking attention.
Every one who posts on a forum is seeking attention. It's like I know this and I know that and does anyone agree with me, and what do you think of me now kind of thing. But why waste time pretending to be someone your not when you can just be yourself the real fictional character and get a big yes of approval every time from yourself.
I'm not seeking attention; I'm seeking interaction with like minds for the purpose of intellectual discourse (with sarcasm and joking on the side). Where else can I pun incessantly without people throwing things at me? :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: The difference between Awareness and Consciousness

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I'm not seeking attention; I'm seeking interaction with like minds for the purpose of intellectual discourse (with sarcasm and joking on the side). Where else can I pun incessantly without people throwing things at me? :mrgreen:
:D

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I'm glad for you. Truly. I can't imagine being physically disabled without intellectual interests; that must be incredibly difficult to accept. I mean, what does a person like that do when they can no longer "do?" Watch TV? Sleep? Spend hours on Facebook? That's like dying on the installment plan.
Must be awful, but then I guess we just have to suck it all up. Everything in life is just an experience anyway. Consciousness will experience every experience infinitely for eternity. The way I look at anything is to tell myself how awesome is it to feel like this, is this what it feels like to feel like this, because when your dead you won't get that chance again, until the next experience. So I say embrace every experience bad or good.

We have to be kind to each other. We all know what happened to Michael Schumacher...No one knows when they will take their last breath.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:07 pm

placid wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:I'm glad for you. Truly. I can't imagine being physically disabled without intellectual interests; that must be incredibly difficult to accept. I mean, what does a person like that do when they can no longer "do?" Watch TV? Sleep? Spend hours on Facebook? That's like dying on the installment plan.
Must be awful, but then I guess we just have to suck it all up.
Live or die...there's no other choice. But if you choose to live, then live. Don't just exist while you're waiting to die.
placid wrote:The way I look at anything is to tell myself how awesome is it to feel like this, is this what it feels like to feel like this, because when your dead you won't get that chance again, until the next experience. So I say embrace every experience bad or good.
I'd rather have chronic pain than congenital analgesia. Imagine not knowing when you've been injured or are sick?
placid wrote:We have to be kind to each other.
We certainly should be.
placid wrote:We all know what happened to Michael Schumacher.
Well, I didn't until I looked him up. But I get your point.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
mirror93
Regular Poster
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Post by mirror93 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:06 am

placid wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:I'm glad for you. Truly. I can't imagine being physically disabled without intellectual interests; that must be incredibly difficult to accept. I mean, what does a person like that do when they can no longer "do?" Watch TV? Sleep? Spend hours on Facebook? That's like dying on the installment plan.
Must be awful, but then I guess we just have to suck it all up. Everything in life is just an experience anyway. Consciousness will experience every experience infinitely for eternity. The way I look at anything is to tell myself how awesome is it to feel like this, is this what it feels like to feel like this, because when your dead you won't get that chance again, until the next experience. So I say embrace every experience bad or good.

We have to be kind to each other. We all know what happened to Michael Schumacher...No one knows when they will take their last breath.
Well, everything in life is not "just" anything, and it is not "an experience". but you can have different experiences, certainly, if you're not inert in front of the computer forever, you certainly can have amazing new experiences. your consciousness will not experience anything "infinitely", and it's you who will experience, not your consciousness, or your emptiness inside you, it's you, who , through your consciousness ,you will feel and sense and perceive........... until you die. But at least you posted something that makes sense. When you die, you're gone and won't be able to experience anything. I thought you believed in eternality
:paladin: