It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 am

Over there,
Over there.

Send the word,
Send the word, to beware...

https://www.rt.com/news/434274-marines- ... ase-china/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed May 08, 2019 11:30 am

The OP in this thread concerns "the deep state."

For those who still maintain that there is nothing that resembles anything called a "deep state," allow me to provide the history of Elliot Abrams as living proof that a "deep state" exists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Abrams

Elliot Abrams, probably even more so than Dick Cheney or John Bolton, epitomizes a deep state apparatchik.

Firstly, he is a chicken-hawk. One can respect the likes of Muhammed Ali who refused to be conscripted into the Army during the invasion of Vietnam, ("Shoot them for what? They never called me 'nigger.' ") even though he presumably would have been given a cushy job entertaining the troops and promoting the war.

One can respect Ali and those who left for Canada, but Abrams supported the war while taking a college deferment rather than being drafted.

Secondly, Abrams who has never been elected to public office, was convicted of lying to Congress (And thus the American people), under oath, about US military activities. He was fined $50 for this offense.

However, despite never having been elected to office, and lying to our elected representatives, Abrams has continued to be very influential, now charged with formulating and implementing US policy toward Venezuela.

So, American citizen Abrams lied about US policy and continues to prosper, while Australian Julian Assange revealed the truth about the US deep state and is now being persecuted by the US deep state.

Elliot Abram's net worth $20 million.
https://networthpost.org/net-worth/elli ... net-worth/

Call it "the deep state," or whatever you want to, but is this "Truth, justice, and the American way?"
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed May 08, 2019 12:37 pm

this has nothing to do with whatever definition of Deep State you want to use.

Maybe Old Boys' Club might fight the bill.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed May 08, 2019 5:25 pm

There have always been individuals, cartels and secret societies attempting to influence governments and populations, throughout history. They exist at every level, from the "old boys club" in the back room of the whorehouse, to the big banks, who play god by influencing politicians, social movements and wars.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:30 am
Call it "the deep state," or whatever you want to, but is this "Truth, justice, and the American way?"
I call it Elliot Abrams.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
I call it Elliot Abrams.
Whatever.

But, what Venezuela needs, imvho, is investments from US capitalists such as oil companies, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc., and also investments from Chinese capitalists and others.

What Venezuela doesn't need is Elliiot Abrams.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

The US public and mainstream media are all but ignoring the neocon march to war. This article sums it up pretty well:
www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featu ... ar-tweets/

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon May 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Yep, Trump is a neocon.
Or he just doesn't give a {!#%@}.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm

But, what Venezuela needs, imvho, is investments from US capitalists such as oil companies, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc., and also investments from Chinese capitalists and others.
People without enough money to feed themselves need fast food huh?
Tom Palven wrote:
What Venezuela doesn't need is Elliiot Abrams.
No one needs Elliot Abrams........or fast food.....or oil investments in an oil based captured/collapsed economy....nor analysis that touches on "deep state" foolishness.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:49 pm
Tom Palven wrote:

People without enough money to feed themselves need fast food huh?
Yes, McDonalds is a bad example of the kind of capitalism that Venezuela really needs at this time, but I'm always happy to see the golden arches abroad as an example of peaceful US activity.

There are McDonalds in 120 countries, and what they serve can be interesting. McDonalds in France, for example, serves beer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed May 15, 2019 10:49 am

Some news about McDonalds that I offer without comment. (I don't know what to say.)
https://www.rt.com/news/459355-us-austr ... mcdonalds/

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
The OP in this thread concerns "the deep state."
"It Can't Happen Here" isn't actually about any deep state at all. However, this thread isn't actually about that book.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.