The Most Dangerous Superstition

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

The Most Dangerous Superstition

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm

This is a book by Larken Rose, author of the video, Message to the Voting Cattle.
What reviews at Amazon have to say about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangerous-Su ... perstition
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: The Most Dangerous Superstition

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:This is a book by Larken Rose, author of the video, Message to the Voting Cattle.

Another book directed at people who want - can't live without - a single devil on which to blame our ills..
Would that the government were the ONLY enemy of planet earth and its put-upon denizens ... how simple and pleasant it would be for us all to then attend the same 4th of July picnic.
BUT... a more interesting facet of Tom's subject is that Amazon does not stock or sell the book: it is only available through Amazon's used book sellers.
Why is that?
An Amazon decision?
The publisher's?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:29 pm

nmblum wrote:
Tom-Palven wrote:This is a book by Larken Rose, author of the video, Message to the Voting Cattle.

Another book directed at people who want - can't live without - a single devil on which to blame our ills..
Would that the government were the ONLY enemy of planet earth and its put-upon denizens ... how simple and pleasant it would be for us all to then attend the same 4th of July picnic.
BUT... a more interesting facet of Tom's subject is that Amazon does not stock or sell the book: it is only available through Amazon's used book sellers.
Why is that?
An Amazon decision?
The publisher's?

NMB

There is no devil. As the old Pogo strip said, the enemy is us. As I mentioned elsewhere (about a million times) the battle is between the nonaggressive, individualist ethics of the Golden Rule of reciprocity, and the statist ethics of coercive Utilitarianism which has provided us with countless wars and genocides for our amusement, along with the bread and circuses until they run out of bread to redistribute.

Info at LarkenRose,com says that The Most Dangerous Superstition is out of stock and is currently being reprinted. Is that why Amazon doesn't have it, or is Amazon cowed by the powers-that-be? I don't know.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:
nmblum wrote:

Why is that?
An Amazon decision?
The publisher's?

NMB

There is no devil. As the old Pogo strip said, the enemy is us. As I mentioned elsewhere (about a million times) the battle is between the nonaggressive, individualist ethics of the Golden Rule of reciprocity, and the statist ethics of coercive utilitarianism which has provided us with countless wars and genocides for our amusement, along with the bread and circuses until they run out of bread to redistribute.

Info at LarkenRose,com says that The Most Dangerous Superstition is out of stock and is currently being reprinted.

The so-called "Golden Rule" has been around for as long as there were some humans to make rules, golden or not, for others to follow...the later, Christian "the meek shall inherit the earth" comes easily to mind as a promise hard to take seriously as a satisfactory shibboleth to the alleviation of human woes.

You might want to add a caveat each time you mention the Golden Rule as a viable program for the enhancing of human politics: that like the Messiah, it has not yet made its actual appearance where the powerful and the powerless hang out together.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:There is no devil. As the old Pogo strip said, the enemy is us. As I mentioned elsewhere (about a million times) the battle is between the nonaggressive, individualist ethics of the Golden Rule of reciprocity, and the statist ethics of coercive Utilitarianism which has provided us with countless wars and genocides for our amusement, along with the bread and circuses until they run out of bread to redistribute.

A bit more complex an explanation than necessary. You could have left it at 'the enemy is us'. We're pack animals. Warring animals. We like warm and fuzzy and cold and bloody. Maybe with technology advancing the way it is, we can use our own creationism to breed that nasty cold and bloody tendency out of the next generations.

Tom-Palven wrote:Info at LarkenRose,com says that The Most Dangerous Superstition is out of stock and is currently being reprinted. Is that why Amazon doesn't have it, or is Amazon cowed by the powers-that-be? I don't know.

Melodramatic. Were you aiming at that? :) Or does Poe's law apply?

Anyway, I read the reviews for the book. Don't be a wolf. Don't be a sheep. Bear?
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Reviews on Amazon are notorious for being faked. I gave up reading them in frustration. On the one hand, you've got one person with several accounts pumping up a book he/she has never read because he/she is a true believer in the cause; on the other hand, you've got another person disparaging a book he's never read because he's heard somewhere that the author is a jerk. The ability to effectively "vote" for your favourite side ("Was this comment helpful to the discussion?") makes it worthwhile for authors of horrible, mind-freakingly bad books to down-vote their detractors. Every crackpot theory with a devoted following of believers can end up looking like the word of God on Amazon, being pestered occasionally by Satan's evil minions.

...plus they won't let me comment unless I buy something from them. :kicksdirt:

Edit: Ugh! Case in point:

Your comment is logically inconsistent...corporations are legal entities CREATED by the government. Corporations would not exist in a free market.

15 of 16 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Wow, 15 of 16 people think this is a valid point??
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Tom-Palven wrote:There is no devil. As the old Pogo strip said, the enemy is us. As I mentioned elsewhere (about a million times) the battle is between the nonaggressive, individualist ethics of the Golden Rule of reciprocity, and the statist ethics of coercive Utilitarianism which has provided us with countless wars and genocides for our amusement, along with the bread and circuses until they run out of bread to redistribute.

A bit more complex an explanation than necessary. You could have left it at 'the enemy is us'. We're pack animals. Warring animals. We like warm and fuzzy and cold and bloody. Maybe with technology advancing the way it is, we can use our own creationism to breed that nasty cold and bloody tendency out of the next generations.

Tom-Palven wrote:Info at LarkenRose,com says that The Most Dangerous Superstition is out of stock and is currently being reprinted. Is that why Amazon doesn't have it, or is Amazon cowed by the powers-that-be? I don't know.

Melodramatic. Were you aiming at that? :) Or does Poe's law apply?

Anyway, I read the reviews for the book. Don't be a wolf. Don't be a sheep. Bear?

No, I'm not aiming at melodrama, Here's a short Karen Armstrong video
Let's Revive the Golden Rule.
She's saying almost the exact thing as Larken Rose, but in an entirely different manner. It may be more appealing to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhHJ4DRZ ... e=youtu.be

Ron Paul quoted the Golden Rule. Conservatives booed:

http://lewrockwell.com/mcmaken/mcmaken151.html

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Gord wrote:Reviews on Amazon are notorious for being faked. I gave up reading them in frustration. On the one hand, you've got one person with several accounts pumping up a book he/she has never read because he/she is a true believer in the cause; on the other hand, you've got another person disparaging a book he's never read because he's heard somewhere that the author is a jerk. The ability to effectively "vote" for your favourite side ("Was this comment helpful to the discussion?") makes it worthwhile for authors of horrible, mind-freakingly bad books to down-vote their detractors. Every crackpot theory with a devoted following of believers can end up looking like the word of God on Amazon, being pestered occasionally by Satan's evil minions.

...plus they won't let me comment unless I buy something from them. :kicksdirt:

Edit: Ugh! Case in point:

Your comment is logically inconsistent...corporations are legal entities CREATED by the government. Corporations would not exist in a free market.

15 of 16 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Wow, 15 of 16 people think this is a valid point??

You have every right to be skeptical about the padding of Amazon reviews, Gord, but, fwiw, I'm in total agreement with the 26 of 28 people who gave the book five stars.. I'll say without the slightest reservation that TMDS is powerful, literate, scholarly but readable, right on the money, and the best book ever written about the wonders of government or lack thereof.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:26 am

Tom-Palven wrote:You have every right to be skeptical about the padding of Amazon reviews, Gord....

Thanks, Tom. :thumbsup:

I could have added links, but I didn't. So here are some now! :lol:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmana ... g-reviews/

Amazon Tackles Review Problem, Deletes Wrong Reviews

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... thors.html

(Ugh, what the hell am I doing? That one was the Daily Mail.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com ... on_reviews
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?