Brexit

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Goody67
Poster

Re: Brexit

Post by Goody67 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm
Correct - not making sense to a nematode. :roll:
There seem to be quite a few users on here who are no better than the deniers on the shitty RODOH forum - no arguments and only personally attack other users.
"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." - Mark Twain

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Germany didn't fall to the Nazis because people punched to many Nazis.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:14 pm

John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons, has ruled that Mrs May's 'new' proposal will not be presented to Parliament for discussion, on the grounds that it is the same, albeit with very minor changes, as the last one. He is the ultimate authority on Commons proceedings and cannot be overruled. So - either someone is going to be extremely busy overnight or there will be no further vote in Parliament on the issue. Basically, the proposal Mrs May has already shown to the EU is the only one she can talk about with them. She'll get the same answer from them, too.

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 pm

I guess rodoh is traumatising but its full of traumatised people and hey at least you didn't get death threats...or did you?
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Thank you Poodle for keeping this going and reporting it in a pretty much even balanced way.
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 pm

And after the bad news for Mrs May, some good news for Mrs May...
Dr Liam Fox, UK Trade Secretary is reported as saying "Our negotiators have just initialled a trade agreement with Iceland & Norway for the European Economic Area. This is the 2nd biggest agreement we're rolling over and trade with EEA is worth nearly £30bn".

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am

Goody67 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm
Correct - not making sense to a nematode. :roll:
There seem to be quite a few users on here who are no better than the deniers on the shitty RODOH forum - no arguments and only personally attack other users.
Then stop it.

MikeN
Poster

Post by MikeN » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:25 am

Bobbo, who puts up the border, UK, Ireland, Northern Ireland, EU?
What if UK did a no-deal Brexit, and just didn't do much at the border.
I'm thinking they get free trade with EU de facto, and Ireland and Northern Ireland benefit as the
middlemen.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:08 am

An interesting point ...
It turns out the 'rule' preventing the repetition of a debate within a single Parliamentary term is NOT a rule - it's a convention dating back to 1604 so, as there were no women in Parliament at that time, it's merely a gentlemen's agreement. So the barred debate could go ahead - but Parliament, apart from being the seat of government, is also a sucker for tradition.
I don't think this one has legs, but we'll see.

MikeN
Poster

Post by MikeN » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 am

Speaker just declared the Brexit votes to be in violation of this 'rule', and will not allow a third vote.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:29 pm

MikeN wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:25 am
Bobbo, who puts up the border, UK, Ireland, Northern Ireland, EU?
What if UK did a no-deal Brexit, and just didn't do much at the border.
I'm thinking they get free trade with EU de facto, and Ireland and Northern Ireland benefit as the
middlemen.
That issue is in the back of my mind..........kinda a one way border control? It should result in "all the animus" being placed at the doorstep of the EU not the UK and hence "The Troubles" shown to be an artifact of history, as it should be.

Bad Policy: always includes every notion based on "what it used to be."

Note: when I say "should result" I actually don't know what I'm talking about at all, and "always"...always means most of the time. I call that nuance, other might say I'm just ignorant and wrong. Kinda like a trade border.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Theresa May is going to ask the EU for an extension. Michel Barnier is asking "Long or short, and to do what?" She can't answer that question because of the antics of the Speaker, who isn't going to let the proposal from May back into discussion. If she has no proposal, the EU won't want to know.
BUT ... there is an idea floating around Westminster that May could ask the Queen to close this session of Parliament early and - at the earliest opportunity - begin a new session. That would allow her proposal to be put forward again for a vote and the Speaker couldn't do anything about it.
I don't think the Queen has the prerogative to refuse.
It could JUST be done in ten days, which is all that's left of anyone's discussion period.
Just to remind everyone, if nothing more is said or done, the default position is that the UK leaves the EU on March 29th.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:38 pm

It might be best to just get it over with. It doesn't seem that the EU is going to change their position. Ya got any favorite UK products which I should switch to in order to help out?

MikeN
Poster

Post by MikeN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:07 am

May does not want to have Brexit. Most of Parliament does not want Brexit. Labor leader Corbyn wants Brexit, but his party is so much against him he can't deliver the votes to seal Brexit.

May has been trying to destroy Brexit while pretending to support it. The deal she reached with EU is designed to do that.
UK must stay within the customs union, at least with the Irish backstop.
UK must follow other EU law and regulations.
UK must pursue further political union in the future, if they wish to get out of the backstop.
UK must open up its waters to EU fishermen.
UK must have smaller subsidies for UK agriculture than EU gives to EU agriculture.
UK must pay EU for the privilege.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 am

Except she hasn't reached any deal at all. Her deal is still pie in the sky and there's only nine days left to go.
She has not yet asked for an extension and every day which passes makes a no-deal more likely. It may be worth considering that this is actually May's aim - "I tried ever so hard, but no-one wanted to play with me".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 am

"There is no try, only do."
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:41 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 am
"There is no try, only do."
If it's good enough for Yoda, it's good enough for me.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 am

News this morning is that Mrs May WILL be asking for a short delay of no more than three months. It's not the decision of the Commission this time - all member states will have a yea or nay say. If any one of those states says no, then everything goes onto a no-deal footing. If it's granted, then she will have that time and no longer (minus the time taken for the EU Parliament to agree or disagree) to either get her deal through or leave on a no-deal. Bear in mind that going back to the UK Parliament with that deal is not possible unless she changes it materially or Parliament is dissolved and immediately reinstated.
The UK Parliament has consistently turned down her deal by a fat majority each time. She may be depending upon a lot of waverers changing their votes if she substantially changes her deal (wishful thinking on her part, I think) and she CERTAINLY still depends upon the DUP for any majority at all.
The odd thing is that her deal has been consistently voted down by the very people in Parliament who want a deal, yet it's the only deal in existence - the Commission has said that it's THAT deal or nothing.
This MAY be the last throw of the dice. On the other hand ... ...

STOP PRESS: On the other hand, it is now reported that several senior Conservatives have made or are making their way to 10 Downing Street to 'strongly advise' Mrs May to step down immediately. I don't think she will - it's not in her nature - but is shows that she's being regarded as an obstruction rather than a facilitator.

ERRATUM: No, not the EU Parliament! It's the EU Council (heads of state) who will decide whether or not to grant any extension).

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am

Seems to me what's voted down each time, is the deal that means to keep most of those "red lines" for "sovereignty" to keep tory brexiteers on board. May's government have tried to force that their deal is the only possible. Which may be true given that border control MUST be regained for the UK. I would think that a more EEA type agreement, in close dialogue with the entire parliament regardless of party, might stand a chance. It will honour the referandum "leave", while having a chance to get support from both leavers and remainers.

As it stands now though, May would probably have to revoke the article 50 declaration (since time is really up), step down, and let parliament struggle to cobble together a position that can command a kind of majority. And THEN trigger article 50 again and actually have an idea of what to negotiate this time...

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:44 pm

I couldn't agree more, Dan. May seems to have had a severe brain fart lately.
(it IS May's deal - most of the Cabinet and most of the Conservative Party don't agree with her).

EDIT: - A few hours have passed and it's now being reported in the French press that President Macron will block any extension (it takes only a single no vote in the European Council). If true, that surely forces a no-deal Brexit, unless Mrs May capitulates completely (and I'm not at all sure that she can do that without Parliamentary support).

Balsamo
Veteran Poster

Post by Balsamo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 pm
yes.......exactly how it should/must/no other alternative work.

Those who say "we can't have another REF".......are simply wrong. Add more words to the statement, and the question changes.
But no one wrote it, or i may have missed something.
Poodle is right, a new REF under the same government would be pointless. It would become an option if this government fails and new general election bring a new majority to power. A new majority could of course repeal the law, but this current one cannot not except in a political suicide of the Conservative Party.

My 5 cents. If the situation was so dire as described by some experts/media, the Footsie would be tumbling, it is not. The Pound would be falling, it is not.
So the "wait and see" is the attitude to have.
A lot of things can still happen within the next 9 days.

Goody67
Poster

Post by Goody67 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am
Then stop it.
I don't personally attack people first.
"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." - Mark Twain

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm

Balsamo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 pm
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 pm
yes.......exactly how it should/must/no other alternative work.

Those who say "we can't have another REF".......are simply wrong. Add more words to the statement, and the question changes.
But no one wrote it, or i may have missed something.
Poodle is right, a new REF under the same government would be pointless.
IIRC....way back a few pages Poodle makes the same mistaken argument that you do here: conflating/confusing/replacing/treating synonymously two distinct issues: can you have a Referendum, ok: on the very same subject, perhaps even with the exact same words with: does it have a point, on its head or elsewhere.

CONFLATION: when peoples' thinking goes flat.

Balsamo
Veteran Poster

Post by Balsamo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm

What would be the mistake, bobbo ?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm

ummmm.....you either can or can not have a REF.

A REF once had then will be pointless for those not desiring it but all pointy for those people highly desirous of it: like EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING not conflated to one sides position or the other but rather containing the ying-yang of reality. Hitler did make the trains run on time.......or was that Mussolini, or the Japanese: or anyone not American?

Version TWo;

I said Poodle finally agreed a second REF was possible and that was a good thing. You said I was wrong because a second REF was pointless. Two totally disconnected statements/issues. Now....."evidently" some issue I don't get may exist that you can't have a second REF either "with the same Parliamentary Body" or "once some REF was voted on by Parliament and turned into a "law" that must be followed?" Well: thats simple. Going back to the start: you either can have a REF or you cannot. Pointless is besides the point, or actually very misleading because something that cannot happen is not pointless: its not possible.

The issue is so clear and obvious and clearly explained already, I fear the two other versions just above make the same mistake?.........Whatever it is?? Which I doubt.

Balsamo
Veteran Poster

Post by Balsamo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:45 pm

I do not remember that Poodle did say that another REF was impossible or illegal. He just said that it would not replace the result of the first one which has been turned into law.
I only confirmed that.

Theoretically, the current Parliament could decided to repeal the law it passed last year. But it would damage the Tories credibility f for years, therefore it won't happen.
Now why would a Government hold a new costly REF if it is not ready to turn its results into a new law. Pointless.

The results of a REF is constraining only after its result has been turned into law, and only a new majority would do that. In any case, the first law - that one based on the first REF results - needs to be repealed first.

But it is also true that there are no legal provision that is forbidding another REF to be held.
So yes, a new REF is theoretically possible, but pointless for the reasons above.
What is it you don't get?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:01 pm

I think I get everything, including the fact that you either can or can't have a second REF that has nothing to do with its cost, practicability, effability, wisdom or anything else. Why do you want to conflate the two issues? And would it matter at all if I copied and pasted whatever Poodle said that made me comment as I did?

Words and their meaning can and even should be discussed above any particular context, aka: the Dictionary meaning. THEN sullied with whatever the given discussion is. THEN compare and contrast the two discussion for the hidden diamonds that are revealed.

or not. I find so few diamonds.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm

It is legal, but probably not repeatable, to jump off a cliff. Why are you arguing this point, Bobbo? A referendum would change nothing - it can't be done in time, its result would hold no weight, and it would cost a lot of money to no end. Also, it's not going to happen. You're belabouring a very fine point, but it's irrelevant.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Donald Tusk, President of the EU Council, has said that the UK can have a short extension but only if the current withdrawal agreement is ratified by the UK Parliament. That rather pre-empts the Council vote which has not been held yet.
He's very probably correct - but he should have kept his mouth shut until the Council actually meets. It's this sort of thing which has convinced a lot of the UK population that the EU doesn't really appreciate the meaning of democracy.
Last edited by Poodle on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm not arguing any point. Just trying to find out "the fact of the matter." When any honest person is told "You can't have another REF" that means you can't have another REF. Rather sad anyone would say THAT when the truth is the speaker just would rather not have another one.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 pm

The Speaker? What's he got to do with it?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:06 pm

He's the one conflating the truth into a lie. "Always relevant."

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Speaking of Borders, I found this video interesting in how the dead hand of History is alive and well:

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Mrs May is going to address the nation at 8.15 pm.
Why do I have the feeling she's going to shout "April Fool" and run around the studio with a large feather in her hand?

MikeN
Poster

Post by MikeN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Is there any doubt that this would have worked out better?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Do you guys do April Fools in March? Kinda like Basket Day or whatever that is/??

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Goody67 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am
Then stop it.
I don't personally attack people first.
But you did - right here. Until this point we were sharing contradictory opinions. You went for a personal attack first.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29850&sid=23707d35 ... 60#p702224

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Poodle wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Mrs May is going to address the nation at 8.15 pm.
Why do I have the feeling she's going to shout "April Fool" and run around the studio with a large feather in her hand?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Balsamo
Veteran Poster

Post by Balsamo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:44 pm
I'm not arguing any point. Just trying to find out "the fact of the matter." When any honest person is told "You can't have another REF" that means you can't have another REF. Rather sad anyone would say THAT when the truth is the speaker just would rather not have another one.
You should know some facts.

In Great-Britain, the power is held by the Parliament.
So (1) Only the Parliament can decide to organize a referendum.
(2) The result of the referendum is not legally binding until the Parliament turns this result into a Law (Parliament Act)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Adding more context to try and make your post relevant, but I may be off a degree or two: Yes or No: could the UK hold another REF asap "if it wanted to" or not? Please answer THAT question..........not the 3-4 other questions you substitute for a simple straight forward question. Is it cheating to remind you Poodle has already answered Yes?